New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Looking for creative uses for Shape Water

What are some creative ways to use Shape Water? Especially interested in what can be done by combining the animate and freeze functions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for creative uses for Shape Water

I once used Shape Water to create a water bridge.

Long story short: the party needs to cross a relatively deep pond of water. I'm playing a Cleric, but I was given a (Lesser) Ring of Water Elemental Command, which had some of the spells but no ability to actually command water elementals. In exchange, besides the ability to breathe underwater, it gave me Shape Water as a free cantrip. At that point, the DM was aiming to have everyone cross, with those wearing heavy armor having an obvious penalty.

Instead, I used the freeze property to create floating blocks of 5 ft. x 5 ft. x 5 ft., and essentially chain them to create a walking bridge. Even though it has a block limit (IIRC), I could simply "switch" them around. Though it took some time, it allowed everyone to cross safely, essentially bypassing that part of the dungeon.

As for other uses? You could animate a source of water into a receptacle (say, a large margarita glass?) and then change its opacity to maximum. That'd give you a source of shadow, since the water would be so opaque it'd block access to light. Alternatively, you could try to wring the DM into making a spot of water where an ally is opaque enough to count as dim light or even darkness, thus protecting it from attacks. Or, you can animate a stream of water upwards (enough to create a 5-ft. cube) and then freeze it to create a temporary block of ice you can use as a step?
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ps-Shape-Water

Here's a detailed "guide", so to speak. Assumptions, physics, ideas, the works.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

You might be able to convince your DM that you can make a long icicle with Shape Water, enough to have it be an improvized Quarterstaff that might be eligible for Shillelagh. Since the 'weapon' would be magical, it'd now have resistance to damage and probably wouldn't break.

That's a lot of assumptions, but it'd be really cool if it'd work. Personally, I'd allow it. I think I'd even allow it as long as you have Shape Water on your spell list even without Shillelagh, it's not like Shape Water or an at-will quarterstaff is all that strong.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-09-17 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I've played a water genasi cleric for the past few years. Off the top of my head:

• I've used it to set off traps that trigger off of movement and weight by using the ‘create simple shapes and animate them for one hour' along with nudging the water along 5ft at a time.
    • Moving aside snow to basically cut out a pathway through the mountains (technically one might have to melt the snow for this to work?), and also turning an icy path into a toboggan course
    • 'Fishing' by redirecting a bunch of water to land and then picking up the fish

One question for your DM is whether you can thaw ice with the spell as well. Mine saw no problem with it (if you can freeze things, why not the opposite?), but if not, then there's Create/Destroy Water instead.

Eventually my cleric got access to 'Control Water' which has superseded Shape Water for the effects like redirecting the water flow of a river or creating a pathway through a lake, since it affects a much larger area and lasts for concentration.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

My Druid with the chef feat made ice cream with a good berry on top. 😀

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shape Water is one of my favorite cantrips. Essentially, make anything you want on a small scale in the short term out of ice. Javelins, spikes on the ground, use ice as glue to hold things together, improvised daggers or other weapons, keep doors open or shut, make a spiny palisade, fortify a position, you name it. Water basically becomes an all-purpose hyper-malleable tool for you. However, my favorite use doesn't involve ice: just make a bubble of water around someone's head. Good luck breathing. Maybe grapple them to hold them still if that's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan_MD View Post
    That is adorable I love that, and will remember it.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2021-09-20 at 03:34 AM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan_MD View Post
    Love it when players do stuff like this.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society