New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default What do Priests Wear?

I've been trying to find some satisfactory resources for this, but I'm pretty much only coming up with Christian and Catholic sources.

In America, at least, the idea of "priests" is so closely bound to Abrahamic faiths that it's difficult to conceptualize religious vestments for fantastical polytheistic religions without falling back on Christian clichés of cassock, stoll, and mitre cap. This is to say nothing of titles like "brother" and "father" being pretty much de facto.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about how, say, Hellenistic priests would be garbed? What about polytheistic Romans or Danes? Slavic Pagans? How have you differentiated priests in your setting from Christian cliche?
    I've got a fiction podcast!
    Also, I'm working on a Campaign Log!
    Also, you're looking great today, did you get a haircut?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What do Priests Wear?

Togas.
    Boxer shorts.
    Nothing.
    Long flowing robes.
    Linen blankets.

Your question is a bit too broad.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I might want to edit your post to remove the real world references.

To answer your question, pretty much anything. It'll depend on the religion and the priest in question.

For everyday tasks, probably what everybody else wears. Which will meet likely be a dress or tunic alongside leggings if they do physical work, potentially robes if not. Ceremonial garments are a different story.

Robes are likely to be pretty common, but the exact style will differ. But they're pretty much my go to anyway.

Get yourself some good symbols and incorporate them into the clothing. Or ditch the clothing entirely of it makes sense. Some religions might actually promote priests just wearing normal clothes.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr paradox View Post
    I've been trying to find some satisfactory resources for this, but I'm pretty much only coming up with Christian and Catholic sources.

In America, at least, the idea of "priests" is so closely bound to Abrahamic faiths that it's difficult to conceptualize religious vestments for fantastical polytheistic religions without falling back on Christian clichés of cassock, stoll, and mitre cap. This is to say nothing of titles like "brother" and "father" being pretty much de facto.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about how, say, Hellenistic priests would be garbed? What about polytheistic Romans or Danes? Slavic Pagans? How have you differentiated priests in your setting from Christian cliche?
    The Mod Ogre: Closed.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.