New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Could prestidigitation be used to clean poison off an enemy's arrow?

I realize the range is 10 feet, but assuming you're enough, would this be a valid use of the clean a soiled surface function of prestidigitation?
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Could prestidigitation be used to clean poison off an enemy's arrow?

As a DM I would ask for some kind of skill check but I would think that the action is valid.
    You surrender after you're dead. Lan Mandragoran

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Could prestidigitation be used to clean poison off an enemy's arrow?

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    I realize the range is 10 feet, but assuming you're enough, would this be a valid use of the clean a soiled surface function of prestidigitation?
    I'd allow it - it's a very clever use of what's often seen as a more flavorful function.

Would every DM allow it? I don't know about that - I could see a lot of them debating whether or not "envenomed" is functionally the same as "soiled." And beware of enemies who have another poisoned arrow/bolt/dart in their quiver, all ready to go.

4. - Top - End - #4

NinjaGirl

I would allow it if the arrow was not actually in the enemy's possession at the time. Otherwise it would receive the same general protection that carried items get. If a player were particularly adamant about it I might make up a save for it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'd allow it and give inspiration the first time for the creative use of the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd 100% allow it, and just treat it like any other spell allowing a dex saving throw. Probably give inspiration or some kind of bonus. Maybe even have the enemy have to make a perception or intelligence check to notice what the spell did?

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

I don't wanna get w/i 10' of the yuan-ti with the bow, but we leveled up mid-battle, we're low on resources, and I'm desperately looking for out of the box options.

No, I'm not starting a general thread for combat advice.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I don't wanna get w/i 10' of the yuan-ti with the bow, but we leveled up mid-battle, we're low on resources, and I'm desperately looking for out of the box options.

No, I'm not starting a general thread for combat advice.
    What's your character, which spells do you have, who are your allies and who are the enemies?

9. - Top - End - #9

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    What's your character, which spells do you have, who are your allies and who are the enemies?
    Thanks, but like I said, not starting a general advice thread.

Game was called on account of the DM fell asleep anyways.

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGirl

I dunno, would a dm allow you to remove poison from a drink or meal by using prestidigitation?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by elyktsorb View Post
    I dunno, would a dm allow you to remove poison from a drink or meal by using prestidigitation?
    Prestidigitation can instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.

Instantly cleaning an apple isn't going to be helpful if the poison is inside the apple; if, however, the apple was coated externally with contact poison, "cleaning" the apple should likely include removing the application of poison.

Prestidigitation being able to clean the layer of poison applied to the arrowhead, seems a sound use to me.

The only pitfall I see, is the magical cleaning will likely apply to the single drawn arrow. If the Yuan-ti notices that the arrow has been de-venomed, the Yuan-ti may simply draw another envenomed arrow from their quiver.

Now, if the Yuan-ti decides to use their action to Investigate the arrow...that is probably the best outcome. Alas..I don't think this outcome is likely.
    Last edited by Thunderous Mojo; 2021-09-19 at 09:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderous Mojo View Post
    Prestidigitation can instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.

Instantly cleaning an apple isn't going to be helpful if the poison is inside the apple; if, however, the apple was coated externally with contact poison, "cleaning" the apple should likely include removing the application of poison.

Prestidigitation being able to clean the layer of poison applied to the arrowhead, seems a sound use to me.

The only pitfall I see, is the magical cleaning will likely apply to the single drawn arrow. If the Yuan-ti notices that the arrow has been de-venomed, the Yuan-ti may simply draw another envenomed arrow from their quiver.

Now, if the Yuan-ti decides to use their action to Investigate the arrow...that is probably the best outcome. Alas..I don't think this outcome is likely.
    The Yuan-Ti already has the arrow ready to fire. If I were playing the Yuan-Ti, I'd fire the arrow, mildly annoyed at losing the poison, then draw another envenomed arrow for the next shot. Seems most logical/reasonable.
    Noticing the suddenly-clean arrowhead shouldn't be hard. The tip of the arrow is in the middle of their field of vision as they go to fire.

Saving throw feels applicable, as it is a carried item and you are getting a combat effect from a spell. All of the damaging/controlling spells generally give a saving throw or require a roll to hit.
    The most important thing in being an adult is learning exactly what to give a <expletive> about, and exactly how many of those to give.

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

If the item is an "arrow" that has been dipped in poison, sure. But if it's a "poisoned arrow", it just removes impurities in the poison.

-DF
    Last edited by DwarfFighter; 2021-09-19 at 12:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Let's reverse it. Can a wizard archer soil their arrowheads with prestidigitation to "poison" the target? Say, put rust on the arrowhead to inflict tetanus on the target.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

that's not how rust or tetanus works

tetanus is a bacteria that can collect in rusts rough surface but nothing about rust produces the bacteria out of nothing.

D&d does not tend to care about normal dirty wounds only, not even in the more crunch heavy editions. So i would say no soiling just means it makes it dirty not covers it in poison.

I would allow it but i also doubt it is a good use of your action unless I'm mistaken you are trading a whole action to remove the poison from one attack. And that assumes he doesn't notice it if he does well drawing a new arrow is a free.

edit
    also if rusty arrows were better than normal arrows you could just leave the arrow heads out in the rain for a bit and make them non-magical rusty.
    Last edited by awa; 2021-09-19 at 07:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Lizardfolk

I'd allow it, particularly against kobolds and goblins who's poison may be fecal matter.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

17. - Top - End - #17

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    I would allow it but i also doubt it is a good use of your action unless I'm mistaken you are trading a whole action to remove the poison from one attack. And that assumes he doesn't notice it if he does well drawing a new arrow is a free.
    I mean this mostly depends on the poison, regular basic poison? Yeah that's not even worth removing.

Purple Worm Poison? Yeah I'd waste an action to get rid of that from some ones weapon.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garresh View Post
    I'd 100% allow it, and just treat it like any other spell allowing a dex saving throw.
    OOh, yeah, like the save versus Light Cantrip. (Which I have used in combat!)
    Game was called on account of the DM fell asleep anyways.
    ROFL. Was Vaarsuvius around?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I'd allow it, particularly against kobolds and goblins who's poison may be fecal matter.
    Touché.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19

EvilClericGuy

Realized this never got closure.

Since we leveled up mid-battle, I choose another level in sorcerer instead of another level in warlock. That gave me another 1st level slot and sorcery points to recover another 1st level slot. I decided to ignore the yuan-ti with the bow and concentrate of dropping their cleric. It got dicey for awhile, but the crits turned our way for once, and we got away with it.

20. - Top - End - #20

Bit slow on the draw but for what it's worth, yes, Very Yes. This kind of outside-the-box, mage-minded cleverness is the bread and butter of creative play, and one of the biggest reasons I love this game.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

My DM allowed another PC to use Prestidigitation to soil an NPCs pants... I imagine this would easily fly on my table.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2021-12-10 at 12:45 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Is this for an arrow someone has nocked in their bow, or for an arrow flying towards you (readied action)?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calen View Post
    As a DM I would ask for some kind of skill check but I would think that the action is valid.
    Indeed. I'd probably ask for a contest such as 'your sleight of hand vs. target's perception' or 'your deception vs. target's insight' (or both).

However, I would only allow this if you have the means and the necessary time to detect and locate the poisoned arrow, and definitely not as a reaction if said arrow is fired against a target.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-12-10 at 01:07 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

For game balance reasons, I would say no except if the arrows aren't wielded at the moment. I very rarely authorize or encourage the use of spells outside of their stated rules. Magic is already powerful enough. I'd rather prefer my players to use mundane but clever solutions.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

RAW, this works. And it's very clever. And doesn't break anything. I have a hard time imagining a situation where I would say no to this. Hell, I have a sorcerer in one of my games who uses Gust as a readied action to knock arrows out of the air. It's rad, and rarely better than taking the dodge action, so why say no? Let your players have fun FFS.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

One substance coating an object? That's as close a definition to soiled I can think of without rules lawyering to weasel around it. Check
    Target within range? 10 feet as per the spell text, so; check
    Object in possession by another creature? Spell text makes no such restriction, so I see no reason to disallow it. another check

At this point I'm incline to view this as a perfectly acceptable use of the spell. If anything I think the question would change from "could this be done" to "what houserule do you foresee DMs attempting to block this with"

such as
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garresh View Post
    I'd 100% allow it, and just treat it like any other spell allowing a dex saving throw.
    OOh, yeah, like the save versus Light Cantrip. (Which I have used in combat!)
    which to be fair sounds reasonable enough on its own, but when you have a DM doing this for every outside the box idea even when you're still colouring inside the lines, it can become very frustrating and turns from "let's see if this creative spell use works" to "here's an extra hurdle to make it less likely to work" (been a player in that game. not fun).
    At least for the basing it off the light cantrip feels like a similar power scope, though for light the dex save is for avoiding a touch.
    For a spell affecting an object in another creature's possession but not manipulating the object away from them, I'd be more inclined to view this as heat metal; the spell just lands on the object without a save.
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2021-12-11 at 02:08 AM. Reason: you're

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
    For game balance reasons, I would say no except if the arrows aren't wielded at the moment. I very rarely authorize or encourage the use of spells outside of their stated rules. Magic is already powerful enough. I'd rather prefer my players to use mundane but clever solutions.
    What do you mean balance reasons, they proposed this instead of doing damage or controlling the battlefield, there's a huge tradeoff here. Cmon, Rule of Fun won't cause any problems here.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    What do you mean balance reasons, they proposed this instead of doing damage or controlling the battlefield, there's a huge tradeoff here. Cmon, Rule of Fun won't cause any problems here.
    It's an old DMing issue. Rule of Fun/Cool is all good, but DMs exist who worry about players trying to get away with something. They don't trust unforeseen circumstances. There's worry of the slippery slope that a player may then ask for something more powerful even if in an unrelated circumstance. There's also worry that allowing This Thing in this situation which seems innocuous could mean allowing This Thing in some future situation ruins the encounter. It's not wrong for DMs to consider these consequences, but in my opinion I do find it a problem for the DM to always say No because of these worries which is NOT the same thing as they must never say No.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.