New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Minion

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Best Minion

Ignoring the conjure/summon/necromancy spells, for the subclasses that get a minion, which do you think is the best?

Artillerist - action to create, no and spell slot. Bonus action to command (thanks BigRedJedi)
    Battlesmith - spell slot and 1 minute to revive. Bonus action to command
    PHB Beastmaster - 8 hours bonding to get new one. Attack to command
    TCE Beastmaster - spell slot and 1 minute to revive. Bonus action or attack to command
    Drakewarden - action and spell slot to create. Bonus action to command
    Investment of Chain Master - 1 hour to cast find familiar. Bonus action to attack. Otherwise independent.
    Edit: Wildfire Druid - action and wildshape to create. Bonus action to command (thanks nickl_2000)
    Edit: Others - Manifest Mind, Homunculus, Echo, Strixhaven familiars, Find (Greater) Steed

I think I lean toward drakewarden. The action and spell slot to recreate is pretty powerful in tier 2. At level 5, you can make 7 per day with 30HP each, each only using an action to make.

Artillerist with protector is great at low levels though and still good through tier 2, but I'm not sure it functions the same as the other minions. It can't really do anything except its one type.

I think those are the only two that let you recreate your minion in the same combat if they drop.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-12-18 at 04:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Best Minion

IMO the Draken Warden's dragon and all that comes with it makes it the clear winner. Honestly, I don't think it's even close.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Not that I'm recommending it, but there is also Wildfire Druid. You summon a minion with Wildshape usages.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Good catch. I'll add that above. It's another one you can replace in combat, but just once per short rest.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Artillerist - action to create, no spell slot. Bonus action to command
    Just clarifying, the Artillerist gets one, for up to one hour, without a spell slot. Any further Cannons in a day do require a spell slot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yep. Missed that. Thanks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Best is hard to say because they serve such different purposes. Also the homunculus should be in the mix along side the cannon/SD as an alternative or in addition.

**Artillerist's cannons being magical objects gives them an unique level of protection form effects like difficult terrain and most spells.**
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2021-12-16 at 04:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd say its a tie between the Drakewarden and Wildfire Druid. The Drakewarden's Dragon is really powerful, and makes for a really nice tanks. Meanwhile the Wildfire Spirit is brought back via a Wildshape, which you regain those on a short rest, deals AoE damage when its summoned, and has a free teleport that can't be counterspelled for itself and allies that also has an AoE for creatures it leaves behind.

Pretty darn useful for getting allies in and out of sticky areas.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

What about the Manifest Mind from Order of Scribes. It doesn't have an expiration time.

Conjure once for free, or use a spell slot of any level after.

Similarly, the Echo Knight echo doesn't have an expiration time.

Finally, Paladins and Bards have Find steed and Find greater steed, which also don't have durations.
    Last edited by Khrysaes; 2021-12-16 at 04:55 PM.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    I'd say its a tie between the Drakewarden and Wildfire Druid. The Drakewarden's Dragon is really powerful, and makes for a really nice tanks. Meanwhile the Wildfire Spirit is brought back via a Wildshape, which you regain those on a short rest, deals AoE damage when its summoned, and has a free teleport that can't be counterspelled for itself and allies that also has an AoE for creatures it leaves behind.

Pretty darn useful for getting allies in and out of sticky areas.
    Don't forget if you get your druid to level 20 then you have unlimited wildshapes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Don't forget if you get your druid to level 20 then you have unlimited wildshapes.
    True, though I don't know how useful that is for the summon. It has a decent amount of HP, and is a ranged attacker, so it doesn't get into melee. Even if it does end up in melee range, it has a teleport and a fly speed, so its hard to pin down. Don't get me wrong, the unlimited wildshapes is, and always will be, amazing...but I'm just not sure its as big of a game changer for Wildfire Druids as it is for, say, a Moon or Spore Druid.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    True, though I don't know how useful that is for the summon. It has a decent amount of HP, and is a ranged attacker, so it doesn't get into melee. Even if it does end up in melee range, it has a teleport and a fly speed, so its hard to pin down. Don't get me wrong, the unlimited wildshapes is, and always will be, amazing...but I'm just not sure its as big of a game changer for Wildfire Druids as it is for, say, a Moon or Spore Druid.
    Depends on the situation. For example, either side of a siege of some kind you have a constant stream of flaming kamakazis to make life hell on your opponent attacking the enemy troops, setting fire to their buildings and gear, etc. with reckless abandon.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Though it certainly isn't a stand-alone, the artillerist's turret is in my opinion one of the best on this list because of the utility it provides. Among the three turrets, I suggest ignoring flamethrower and going straight for protector because temp-hp is no joke in and out of combat, especially when you have a near-infinite (1 hour but that's practically infinite in combat/dungeon sense) generator of ward. Think of how insane Twilight Clerics are than apply that thinking to Artificer but at a lesser but still notable extent for 1 hour. It's pretty sweet.

At higher levels, you get two turrets, and my choices would be the Protector as aforementioned and the Force Ballista since it provides really consistent long-ranged damage, clocking in at 3d8 force damage a hit once you get two turrets.

At the capstone ability of Artillerist, your turrets now provide half-cover to those within 10ft. of it. This is . Half-cover gives +2 AC and Advantage on Dex saves, both of which are incredibly helpful for you and your party. Try putting a protector turret on your melee tank and an arcane turret on your own shoulder so you can defend the party, get the tanks their temp hp, and still be able to remain back and fire away with your spells. Do note that you need to be within 60 ft. of a turret to use it so be cautious.

So whilst they're not stand-alones like a Drake or Steel Defender, they certainly fill the best support role out of all of the class minions.
    Last edited by Melphizard; 2021-12-16 at 06:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I've played as egoist characters who would refer to the rest of the party as his minions, and other party members are definitely stronger than any of the minions you listed .

But to answer the question seriously, I've never seen a drakewarden in actual play so while it might be really good I don't want to go around crowning it king until I've actually seen it in action. I've seen a lot of good use from an Artificer's cannons but as others have mentioned they're a bit one note. I think for versatility and overall power a pact of the chain familiar is pretty good, especially if you've taken the invocations to further empower them. Lot of utility to be had with an invisible imp familiar or a pseudodragon capable of knocking things unconscious with its stinger.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Shadow Sorcerers can summon that ill omen hound thing, but I think it's fairly terrible lol

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Best is a very broad term. The only one I could maybe consider to be the unparalleled best was the 2016 Revised Ranger's beastmaster, if it was allowed to take feats when it gained ASIs.

Aside from that, I don't think there is a "generic" best, since most are better than the others at specific tasks.

Out of the box, for the most played levels, I think all subclass pets perform reasonably well in combat, with the caveat that PHB BM is a bit bothersome mechanically, Tasha's BM is a bit bothersome roleplay-wise (you are a summoner not a beast master).

Chainlock familiars are not really damage dealers, being in melee is suicide, sprites can attempt to poison creatures but it takes them out of invi and there's often better uses for its turn, but they are good scouts and can always give someone advantage or do potion runs healing those that are dropped to 0 hp, completely free of action cost.

I think pets can be classified in how much investment they require in order to perform.

Artillerist, Battlesmith and Drakenwardens, require the least investment both during the build and during playing.

Both BMs require some investment during the build, but not that much during play. (PHB maybe if the pet is dying repeatedly)

Wildfire doesn't require anything build-wise, but I think to make the most of it, making use of its teleport ability is key.

Familiar offer more the more you are willing to invest in them. At higher levels they are both the most versatile and powerful of all pets, mainly because they are not restricted in their action as the other pets are, and thus can activate magic items with their actions, at no cost for their master. My lvl 17 Sorlocks Imp was attuned to a Wand of Magic Missile, a Staff of Thunder and Lightning and a Cube of Force (which he would often ready an action to activate "if we are targeted or in the area of a hostile spell or spell effect").

If we are counting Strixhaven's familiars, then a Quandrix Chainlock taking mascot at lvl 4 has basically a huge flying carpet which they can switch places with, this may not have the direct approach a force ballista or animal companion has, but with some out of the box tactics they can become very powerful, from just having it carry some rocks on its back fly above enemies and phase thru the rocks so they fall on enemies, to just mounting a cannon on its back, its a huge creature, the cannon is large, theres even space for 5 party members remianing, you have a flying base of operations with defenses included.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Also the homunculus should be in the mix along side the cannon/SD as an alternative or in addition.
    Good addition to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    What about the Manifest Mind from Order of Scribes. It doesn't have an expiration time.

Similarly, the Echo Knight echo doesn't have an expiration time.

Finally, Paladins and Bards have Find steed and Find greater steed, which also don't have durations.
    All good ideas. I've played all of those and they are all great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    I've never played in a game that 'gets' to level 20. I've played several level 20 one shots, but that's a different build discussion than what I normally play.

Quote Originally Posted by elyktsorb View Post
    Shadow Sorcerers can summon that ill omen hound thing, but I think it's fairly terrible lol
    Interesting addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    Best is a very broad term. The only one I could maybe consider to be the unparalleled best was the 2016 Revised Ranger's beastmaster, if it was allowed to take feats when it gained ASIs...

...My lvl 17 Sorlocks Imp was attuned to a Wand of Magic Missile, a Staff of Thunder and Lightning and a Cube of Force (which he would often ready an action to activate "if we are targeted or in the area of a hostile spell or spell effect").

If we are counting Strixhaven's familiars, then a Quandrix Chainlock taking mascot at lvl 4 has basically a huge flying carpet which they can switch places with, this may not have the direct approach a force ballista or animal companion has, but with some out of the box tactics they can become very powerful, from just having it carry some rocks on its back fly above enemies and phase thru the rocks so they fall on enemies, to just mounting a cannon on its back, its a huge creature, the cannon is large, theres even space for 5 party members remianing, you have a flying base of operations with defenses included.
    So I'm not going to include UA or home-brew in my comparisons. But feel free if you want.

I don't think that readied cube of force should work by RAW. Readying an action is a combat action that can't be done before you roll initiative. Then even if you could, the trigger of targeted by an AOE wouldn't trigger until after the spell occurred. You wouldn't know it's an AOE until after you're hit by it. No need to argue about it here and derail the thread, but just wanted you to be aware that it wouldn't work at a lot of tables. It's cool that your DM allowed it though.

I haven't read Strixhaven, but the familiars sound like a cool addition to the game.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-12-17 at 08:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by kingcheesepants View Post
    I've played as egoist characters who would refer to the rest of the party as his minions, and other party members are definitely stronger than any of the minions you listed .

But to answer the question seriously, I've never seen a drakewarden in actual play so while it might be really good I don't want to go around crowning it king until I've actually seen it in action. I've seen a lot of good use from an Artificer's cannons but as others have mentioned they're a bit one note. I think for versatility and overall power a pact of the chain familiar is pretty good, especially if you've taken the invocations to further empower them. Lot of utility to be had with an invisible imp familiar or a pseudodragon capable of knocking things unconscious with its stinger.
    When I look at the drakewarden, I'm as enticed by the buffs that it gives to the ranger himself as I am the pet itself. A resistance and damage type that you can shift to what you need is a pretty big deal.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

So I'm not going to include UA or home-brew in my comparisons. But feel free if you want.

I don't think that readied cube of force should work by RAW. Readying an action is a combat action that can't be done before you roll initiative. Then even if you could, the trigger of targeted by an AOE wouldn't trigger until after the spell occurred. You wouldn't know it's an AOE until after you're hit by it. No need to argue about it here and derail the thread, but just wanted you to be aware that it wouldn't work at a lot of tables. It's cool that your DM allowed it though.
    Well, if an enemy casts Synaptic Static, it won't be able to use its reaction since it won't be aware of the trigger, if an enemy casts Cone of Cold, the Imp will be aware of it since it can see it, and thus can activate the cube. I used it like a contingency I can change every round.

I haven't read Strixhaven, but the familiars sound like a cool addition to the game.
    Quandrix is very versatile, but considering it costs a feat I think its ok.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, if an enemy casts Synaptic Static, it won't be able to use its reaction since it won't be aware of the trigger, if an enemy casts Cone of Cold, the Imp will be aware of it since it can see it, and thus can activate the cube. I used it like a contingency I can change every round.
    I'm fairly certain that reactions occur after the trigger is complete. There is no time between seeing the cone and taking damage, so I don't think you can trigger a readied action to interrupt a specific spell. You could ready it to trigger when you see someone cast a spell, but you wouldn't know what that spell is. But again, I don't think it's unreasonable for your DM to let that work.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-12-17 at 09:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I'm fairly certain that reactions occur after the trigger is complete. There is no time between seeing the cone and taking damage, so I don't think you can trigger a readied action to interrupt a specific spell. You could ready it to trigger when you see someone cast a spell, but you wouldn't know what that spell is.
    Reaction do happen after the trigger. But can't you react between seeing the wave of cold approaching you till it rachs you? If it was a dragon using its breath weapon, couldn't the trigger be, "if it starts breathing fire in our direction"? Or just "if fire comes in our direction"?
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2021-12-17 at 09:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

I think people are really underestimating the chain pact warlock, especially with all their invocations. They can essentially make any class that specializes in sneak redundant with their abilities to recon. With the invocation tax it can also function like a permanent arcane eye you can speak through by 3rd level. It can trigger traps if needed, with the investment invocation it can have a boosted DC for whichever abilities it has, pair the imp with a devilsight warlock and you can have a pretty consistent additional attack for a bonus action especially since common AoE fire and poison attacks don'thurt them, and they can use the help action on almost every skill.

They are the ultimate utility minion and although the Drake might edge them out, I just wanted to advocate for them. Chain familiars are the reason why my warlocks felt like they still had loads to do once running out of spell slots.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think you're over estimating replacing the minion in the same combat, it looks like that's the reason the Battle Smith's Steel Defender hasn't made the short list, but you're missing that it has a raft of immunities, can repair itself as an action and can be healed by a cantrip.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Reaction do happen after the trigger. But can't you react between seeing the wave of cold approaching you till it rachs you? If it was a dragon using its breath weapon, couldn't the trigger be, "if it starts breathing fire in our direction"? Or just "if fire comes in our direction"?
    I think the "starts breathing fire" would correlate with "sees someone cast a spell", which you definitely could do, but if you are trying to trigger based on a specific type of spell, it's too late to stop that spell, and your reaction occurs after the spell takes effect. I think your interpretation is reasonable, but I don't think it's correct by RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock'sFriend View Post
    I think people are really underestimating the chain pact warlock.
    I love invisible Imps! I've had so much fun with them. A waterskin full of oil, a tinderbox, and an Imp on a catapult was a fun way to take out a pirate ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    I think you're over estimating replacing the minion in the same combat, it looks like that's the reason the Battle Smith's Steel Defender hasn't made the short list, but you're missing that it has a raft of immunities, can repair itself as an action and can be healed by a cantrip.
    I've played next to a battlesmith and they were definitely effective. Those are good points. You can probably get more daily HP out of the either of the artificer's than the drake warden's.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I think the "starts breathing fire" would correlate with "sees someone cast a spell", which you definitely could do, but if you are trying to trigger based on a specific type of spell, it's too late to stop that spell, and your reaction occurs after the spell takes effect. I think your interpretation is reasonable, but I don't think it's correct by RAW.
    Not a specific type of spell, I do triggers that are visual and/or audible, but I think stuff like shoots an arrow at me is a valid qeue. The arrow doesn't reach me as soon as it leaves the bow, once the arrow leaves the bow, I've already been shot at, that happens before the arrow reaches me, thus the trigger is met before the arrow connects.
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2021-12-17 at 10:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I thought the Chainlock had to give up an attack to get the familiar to attack.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Not a specific type of spell, I do triggers that are visual and/or audible, but I think stuff like shoots an arrow at me is a valid qeue. The arrow doesn't reach me as soon as it leaves the bow, once the arrow leaves the bow, I've already been shot at, that happens before the arrow reaches me, thus the trigger is met before the arrow connects.
    I would agree with that for an arrow, but again, I think "shoots an arrow" correlates with "casts a spell" not the effect of the spell. Using the trigger of targeted by a visible spell is more like trying to trigger on being hit by an arrow, not just shot at by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I thought the Chainlock had to give up an attack to get the familiar to attack.
    Investment of the Chain Master, a new invocation in Tasha's, let's you do it as a bonus action.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-12-17 at 10:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I would agree with that for an arrow, but again, I think "shoots an arrow" correlates with "casts a spell" not the effect of the spell. Using the trigger of targeted by a visible spell is more like trying to trigger on being hit by an arrow, not just shot at by one.
    Well, maybe a more careful wording would be required for visible area effects.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

If chainlock is on this list so should be the artificer homunculus thing

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Drake is one of the best, but there is something to be said about the class it comes with. Ranger is okay now, but it's still not the strongest class and has a weird niche. Granted, riding your drake might be the best use of that niche (either you go for a ranged build and can eventually fly, or go for a melee build and can lance people sword/board style) but you're always stuck wondering why you aren't a Paladin.

Artificer, meanwhile, has some truly wonderful abilities that help support it or its pet, and the abilities that come in addition to the pet are pretty much exactly what you want from an artificer subclass. Plus, the smith has the best effect of all the pet attacks in arcane jolt, at least when used to bring an ally up from zero without using an action (that you weren't already using). It has a wonderful host of immunities and abilities (Vigilant alone can be a party saving ability, although RAW you aren't incapacitated in a surprise round so the defender can only reposition and dodge).

Drakewarden gets a few good features, but the only really good one (Pseudo-Fireball as a cone and as any damage type) is pretty late in the build, and the ability to fly on the mount is one of the last abilities most builds get. The drake also does excellent damage that scales decently, but has a bit of a low to-hit.

So basically, if the Drake came with more ranger features then it would win, but because the steel defender comes with great artificer features and is just as effective (in a different way, yes, but just as effective) it wins out, at least in my book. The Drake might win in very high level games.

Edit: Oh, and the O.G. Beastmaster, if you optimize super heavily, also deserves a mention. Giant snake, wolf spider, or frog all accomplish something you can't mimic with any other companion, and the first two deal the best damage of any companion. If you also harvest their venom and factor that in, you can make a very, very effective character. It's just a super niche, specific, and situational playstyle compared to every other build.
    Last edited by MrCharlie; 2021-12-17 at 05:18 PM.