A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: 3.5 High-Level but Low-Powered Tier 4-5 Gestalt Adventure

I was rather hoping that someone else would step forward as DM, because I liked the idea of this, but I'll put my idea forward. It's not far off what Biscuit has proposed, but there are enough changes that I built a new sixteen. If it's close enough to be acceptable to Biscuit, then you're all free to start prepping characters.

Spoiler: Coming Unstuck
    Show

Coming Unstuck

For years, you have made the many worlds of the universe your oyster. Perhaps you have ruled a kingdom for a time, or recovered ancient secrets from undersea tombs. You have fought back goblin hordes, or played chess with pit fiends. You are, in short, badass.

None of which has prepared you for the stories that are now circulating.

Planar gates becoming unstuck Ė depositing people in new places, or (as far as is known) nowhere at all.

A river in one world abruptly began flowing into the desert of another world, for a period of several hours, leaving an entire community of bargefolk very confused.

All portals to and from Sigil stopped working for a period of 2 hours. No explanation forthcoming.

An astral fortress of the Githyanki materialized on Mechanus, leading to a spectacular amount of bloodshed before order was restored.

Flights of ancient dragons engaged in spectacular combat two thousand feet above the city of Calimport, the casualties destroying entire city blocks where they fell.

Divinations, appeals for divine guidance and the like have gone entirely unanswered. Indeed, several gods have stopped granting spells entirely, fueling even more speculation.

You have recently had business in the City of Brass, a magnificent edifice floating at the edge of an ocean of lava in the plane of fire. Perhaps you were thinking about staying to do some sightseeing. Perhaps you were rushing back for a pressing personal business matter. Regardless, the stories now flooding the marketplaces and squares are giving you pause.

Big 16
    Spoiler
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Modified 3.5
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Planescape-inspired generic D&D. Action begins in the City of Brass, but you can place your characterís background in any existing setting that integrates with a planescape cosmology.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-4 tops.
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OOTS
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Characters begin at gestalt level 16, with an extra 1,000XP. LA buyoff is NOT in effect.
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    200,000gp.
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    My goal is to end up with high level characters who can do fun things, but canít do EVERYTHING. To that end, your build must be restricted to base classes of tier 4 or lower, and to prestige classes that do not significantly increase that power. Please understand that the more that you push the power level of your character upward from tier 4, the less likely I am to select you.
    Characters should have had some experience with planar travel, and it may be useful for you to have that ability Ė or at least the ability to survive it. For plot related reasons, such travel may not always go as planned.
    Sadly, I have tried reading the Incarnum rules, and they leave me cold. No abilities, classes, etc that incorporate incarnum, please.
    You may progress a prestige class on both sides of a gestalt level. The normal rule against dual progression Prestige classes remains - you cannot be an eldritch disciple or anima mage on one side of a gestalt build.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    You are restricted to LA 0 base races, and a maximum of one LA +1 template, taken off of one side of the gestalt.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    40 point buy. HP are max for level 1, then average, rounding up.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Fairly standard. Chaotic Stupid and Game-Derailing Evil are to be avoided.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    No XP penalties for multiclassing. Please provide a level by level breakdown of your progression, unless itís completely straightforward.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Rolls will be on this forum, unless I need to be sneaky.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Re Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I donít want to have to learn a lot of new mechanics in order to DM your character. A slightly customized item, tweaked prestige class or non-standard feat is within the realm of what Iíll look at. An entirely new/fixed class, system of magic (Xenotheurgy, new martial adept schools, etc) or similar deviation from the ruleset is completely out. For the purposes of this game, any third party sources or Dragon Magazine material is considered homebrew. When in doubt, ask.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    A few paragraphs of background to give a sense of how the character got to where they are. A few paragraphs that detail the events of something that brought them to the City of Brass within the last 48 hours, where they should have spent the last 48 hours. Enough detail in a personality profile that I get a sense of whatís important to the character, and how they might interact with others.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    RP and combat will feature most prominently.
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters??
    See above. PCís are restricted to 1 trait and 1 flaw.
    Hereís the banlist. It will grow in response to feedback from applicants:

Spoiler
    Show
    General:
    All Tier 1-3 classes. To be clear: these classes exist in the game. You just donít get to play them.
    Magic of Incarnum
    Rebuilding rules from PH2, along with Psychic Reformation, the Chaos Shuffle trick, etc
    Thrallherd
    Truenaming
    Anything that cracks the action economy open in order to get at the soft squishy bits inside.
    Anything that grants aging bonuses without the associated penalties.
    Anything that grants infinite loops.
    Anything that reduces power point loss/ability score sacrifices/etc to 0.
    Frenzied Berserker (not because itís broken, but because itís a PITA)

Feats:
    Leadership and its kindred spirits
    Craft Contingent Spell
    Invisible Spell
    Item familiars

Spells:
    Alter Self
    The Celerity line
    Draconic Polymorph
    Planar Binding and its cousins
    Polymorph
    Shapechange

Magic Items:
    Candle of Invocation
    Dust of Sneezing and Choking

Houserules:
    Ruby Knight Vindicators can add a maximum of 1 swift action per round.
    Factotums can get a maximum of one additional standard action per encounter.
    For crafting purposes, CL is capped at 20.
    Magic/psionic transparency is in effect.
    Diplomacy is a mind-affecting effect, and follows the principles of the Giantís fix.

Applications should be posted to this thread. The deadline for applications will be October 8th.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-10-04 at 11:36 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

What tier list is in use?

Edit: Would a Dragonfire Adept//Monk be acceptable?

Monk is certainly T4 or worse, but is DFA?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-09-21 at 11:49 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

As far as "homebrew" goes, can I make requests that feats affecting combat potentially be able to apply to "Weapon-Like Spells" the way they're described in Complete Arcane, or would you rather I stick with the ones mentioned in the book? Like, as an example, it mentions "Weapon Focus (ranged spells)" as a legal option, but it doesn't mention anything else in the Weapon Focus feat tree. Is asking for those other feats to apply to my spells okay, or should I just stick with the ones that were mentioned and no others?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Unavenger's "UPick 2: Pick Harder"

Aspiring optimizers can try their luck in Zinc Saucier XXXIX: Hoist The Colors High

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Everyone knows Wizards only become adventurers because it's the fastest way to get more Wizard levels.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Would a Magewright->Pale master//divine mind be acceptable?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #35

This list puts DFA at T3.

So I might go Scout//Barbarian instead.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Here's biscuit's list of tier 4 and 5 classes, adding in the psionic classes:

Spoiler: Base Classes
    Show
    Battledancer
    Barbarian
    Divine Mind
    Dragon Shaman
    Dragonfire Adept
    Fighter
    Healer
    Hexblade
    Knight
    Lurk
    Magewright
    Marshal
    Montebank (Dragon Compendium)
    Monk
    Ninja
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Rogue
    Rokugan Ninja
    Samurai (including the Oriental Adventures version, if desired)
    Savant
    Scout
    Shadowcaster
    Soulknife
    Spellthief
    Swashbuckler
    Warlock
    Warmage
    Wilder

I'm not going to respond to requests about specific prestige classes because there's just too much variation in the ways base and prestige classes combine, especially with gestalt. The further outside of the parameters of tier 4 you build, the more likely I won't consider you for the game.

Again, this is pending Biscuit accepting this as meeting their expectations.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-09-22 at 10:25 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #37

WIP Barbarian//Scout

Sneaky and stabby is the goal.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    My goal is to end up with high level characters who can do fun things, but canít do EVERYTHING. To that end, your build must be restricted to base classes of tier 4 or lower, and to prestige classes that do not significantly increase that power. Please understand that the more that you push the power level of your character upward from tier 4, the less likely I am to select you.
    Characters should have had some experience with planar travel, and it may be useful for you to have that ability Ė or at least the ability to survive it. For plot related reasons, such travel may not always go as planned.
    Sadly, I have tried reading the Incarnum rules, and they leave me cold. No abilities, classes, etc that incorporate incarnum, please.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
    I am unsure what bolded means. Does this definition applies to a handyman who overshadows the party, jacks of all trades or both?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-09-22 at 02:19 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Here's a classic definition of tier 3:

Capable of doing one thing quite well, while still being useful when that one thing is inappropriate, or capable of doing all things, but not as well as classes that specialize in that area.
    And here's tier 4:

Capable of doing one thing quite well, but often useless when encounters require other areas of expertise, or capable of doing many things to a reasonable degree of competance without truly shining.
    In other words, if your class abilities give you a fairly clear response to nearly every situation, you're probably in tier 3. If you'd have to use extraordinary ingenuity, clever tactics or verbal dexterity to spackle over the situations where you don't really have much to contribute, or you're tier 4.

Does that help?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Can PrCs be on both sides of the gestalt at the same time?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Iím thinking of trying a shadowcaster // marshall

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I will need to show you the blocks of the build for your assessment once I pitch forth my requests and my questions answered. I don't know if one/day abilities qualify for tier 3.

Requests

Charlatan (Dragon Magazine #335)

Improved Granted Power (Dragon Magazine #342)

Questions

1) If I take Planar Touchstone feat, is it paid off or does the extra 1,000 extra xp take a hit?

2) Are you fine with dipping?

3) Is organization pre-requisite waived? I am trying to enter Squire of Legend Prestige class.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-09-22 at 10:13 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Cygnia: I'll allow PC's on both sides at once (and will add that to the Big 16 post).

Yas392, to be clear: I am NOT approving or disallowing specific builds. I am instead putting the onus on players to exercise their own judgement in building the characters. Build the character you think fits the game as described.

Charlatan is fine.

Improved Granted Power - my google fu is failing me. Unless you can provide me with a link that actually explains what an improved domain power is and how they work, it's a no.

Planar Touchstone - you pay out of your XP.

Dipping - sure

Squire of Legend - The weird-ass organization requirement is not waived, but you can presuppose membership in aforementioned organization.

14. - Top - End - #44

Griffon

OOH! One more question...are the Sigil factions going to be in play in any way?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Cygnia: I'll allow PC's on both sides at once (and will add that to the Big 16 post).

Yas392, to be clear: I am NOT approving or disallowing specific builds. I am instead putting the onus on players to exercise their own judgement in building the characters. Build the character you think fits the game as described.

Charlatan is fine.

Improved Granted Power - my google fu is failing me. Unless you can provide me with a link that actually explains what an improved domain power is and how they work, it's a no.

Planar Touchstone - you pay out of your XP.

Dipping - sure

Squire of Legend - The weird-ass organization requirement is not waived, but you can presuppose membership in aforementioned organization.
    OK.

Regarding Improved Granted Power, the feat name is "Improved Power." My bad. The basics of the feat is granting a new power as long as you have the granted power the domain which serves as a requirement.

16. - Top - End - #46

ClericGuy

And here's tier 4:
    Capable of doing one thing quite well, but often useless when encounters require other areas of expertise, or capable of doing many things to a reasonable degree of competance without truly shining
    Well, I went for beatstick, and I think it's probably T4, since thats pretty much all it can do. That being said, could take a look on the sheet and see if there is anything that doesn't suit the game? The bulk of the build is pretty much done and I already have a backstory in mind (he is the protector of a groove in feywild) but I would like the greelight before I put more time into it.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

PirateWench

Battledancer
    Barbarian
    Divine Mind
    Dragon Shaman
    Dragonfire Adept
    Fighter
    Healer
    Hexblade
    Knight
    Lurk
    Magewright
    Marshal
    Montebank (Dragon Compendium)
    Monk
    Ninja
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Rogue
    Rokugan Ninja
    Samurai
    Savant
    Scout
    Shadowcaster
    Soulknife
    Spellthief
    Swashbuckler
    Warlock
    Warmage
    Wilder
    edited
    Samurai is this the Cwar ver or the OA ver?
    Last edited by samduke; 2021-09-22 at 02:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

I was rather hoping that someone else would step forward as DM, because I liked the idea of this, but I'll put my idea forward. It's not far off what Biscuit has proposed, but there are enough changes that I built a new sixteen. If it's close enough to be acceptable to Biscuit, then you're all free to start prepping characters.

Spoiler: Coming Unstuck
    Show

Coming Unstuck

For years, you have made the many worlds of the universe your oyster. Perhaps you have ruled a kingdom for a time, or recovered ancient secrets from undersea tombs. You have fought back goblin hordes, or played chess with pit fiends. You are, in short, badass.

None of which has prepared you for the stories that are now circulating.

Planar gates becoming unstuck Ė depositing people in new places, or (as far as is known) nowhere at all.

A river in one world abruptly began flowing into the desert of another world, for a period of several hours, leaving an entire community of bargefolk very confused.

All portals to and from Sigil stopped working for a period of 2 hours. No explanation forthcoming.

An astral fortress of the Githyanki materialized on Mechanus, leading to a spectacular amount of bloodshed before order was restored.

Flights of ancient dragons engaged in spectacular combat two thousand feet above the city of Calimport, the casualties destroying entire city blocks where they fell.

Divinations, appeals for divine guidance and the like have gone entirely unanswered. Indeed, several gods have stopped granting spells entirely, fueling even more speculation.

You have recently had business in the City of Brass, a magnificent edifice floating at the edge of an ocean of lava in the plane of fire. Perhaps you were thinking about staying to do some sightseeing. Perhaps you were rushing back for a pressing personal business matter. Regardless, the stories now flooding the marketplaces and squares are giving you pause.

Big 16
    Spoiler
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Modified 3.5
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Planescape-inspired generic D&D. Action begins in the City of Brass, but you can place your characterís background in any existing setting that integrates with a planescape cosmology.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-4 tops.
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OOTS
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Characters begin at gestalt level 16, with an extra 1,000XP. LA buyoff is NOT in effect.
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    200,000gp.
    Sadly, I have tried reading the Incarnum rules, and they leave me cold. No abilities, classes, etc that incorporate incarnum, please.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    You are restricted to LA 0 base races, and a maximum of one LA +1 template, taken off of one side of the gestalt.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    40 point buy. HP are max for level 1, then average, rounding up.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Fairly standard. Chaotic Stupid and Game-Derailing Evil are to be avoided.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    No XP penalties for multiclassing. Please provide a level by level breakdown of your progression, unless itís completely straightforward.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Rolls will be on this forum, unless I need to be sneaky.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Re Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I donít want to have to learn a lot of new mechanics in order to DM your character. A slightly customized item, tweaked prestige class or non-standard feat is within the realm of what Iíll look at. An entirely new/fixed class, system of magic (Xenotheurgy, new martial adept schools, etc) or similar deviation from the ruleset is completely out. For the purposes of this game, any third party sources or Dragon Magazine material is considered homebrew. When in doubt, ask.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    A few paragraphs of background to give a sense of how the character got to where they are. A few paragraphs that detail the events of something that brought them to the City of Brass within the last 48 hours, where they should have spent the last 48 hours. Enough detail in a personality profile that I get a sense of whatís important to the character, and how they might interact with others.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    RP and combat will feature most prominently.
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters??
    See above. PCís are restricted to 1 trait and 1 flaw.
    Hereís the banlist. It will grow in response to feedback from applicants:

Spoiler
    Show
    General:
    All Tier 1-3 classes. To be clear: these classes exist in the game. You just donít get to play them.
    Magic of Incarnum
    Rebuilding rules from PH2, along with Psychic Reformation, the Chaos Shuffle trick, etc
    Thrallherd
    Truenaming
    Anything that cracks the action economy open in order to get at the soft squishy bits inside.
    Anything that grants aging bonuses without the associated penalties.
    Anything that grants infinite loops.
    Anything that reduces power point loss/ability score sacrifices/etc to 0.
    Frenzied Berserker (not because itís broken, but because itís a PITA)

Feats:
    Leadership and its kindred spirits
    Craft Contingent Spell
    Invisible Spell
    Item familiars

Spells:
    Alter Self
    The Celerity line
    Draconic Polymorph
    Planar Binding and its cousins
    Polymorph
    Shapechange

Magic Items:
    Candle of Invocation
    Dust of Sneezing and Choking

Houserules:
    Ruby Knight Vindicators can add a maximum of 1 swift action per round.
    Factotums can get a maximum of one additional standard action per encounter.
    For crafting purposes, CL is capped at 20.
    Magic/psionic transparency is in effect.
    Diplomacy is a mind-affecting effect, and follows the principles of the Giantís fix.

Applications should be posted to this thread. The deadline for applications will be October 8th.

I wholeheartedly approve. I fully expected any potential DM to put their own spin on things - I only added a Big 16 because it is the format people in this forum seem to prefer, and I figured something familiar would be easier for everyone to search/read/comprehend in order to get my idea across without the confusion a random run-on-sentence would have caused.

I appreciate your offer to DM, and accept gratefully. I've always wanted to see a group of 'weak classes' get a chance to shine (and be played...like, at all).

Spoiler: Proposed Character Build
    Show

1. Soulknife || Barbarian
    2. Soulknife || Barbarian
    3. Soulknife || Fighter
    4. Soulknife || Fighter
    5. Soulknife || Monk
    6. Soulknife || Monk
    7. Soulknife || Soulbow
    8. Soulknife || Soulbow
    9. Soulknife || Soulbow
    10. Soulknife || Soulbow
    11. Soulknife || Soulbow
    12. Illumine Soul || Soulbow
    13. Illumine Soul || Soulbow
    14. Illumine Soul || Soulbow
    15. Illumine Soul || Soulbow
    16. Illumine Soul || Soulbow

Soulknife Alternate Class Feature: Hidden Talent (Web) = Trades Wild Talent feat for Hidden Talent feat.
    Barbarian Alternate Class Feature: Spiritual Totem - Lion (Complete Champion p 46) = Trades Fast Movement for Pounce
    Barbarian Alternate Class Feature: Crafty Hunter (Unearthed Arcana, p 58) = Trades Rage and Indomitable Will for Combat Style (as Ranger)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

I have some questions, mostly concerning a soul knife:

Do their mind blades STAY in the formation they pick (short long or bastard sword) even if they dismiss the blade, and only turn into something else if the SK wills it?

Can a Soul knife use their powers during a rage? SK/Barbarian is something I like to play in gestalt if the powers mix properly.

...Oh. Wait.

Biscuit's already making an SK/Barb.

There went my idea, but maybe I could put together an SK/Ninja instead...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    I have some questions, mostly concerning a soul knife:

Do their mind blades STAY in the formation they pick (short long or bastard sword) even if they dismiss the blade, and only turn into something else if the SK wills it?
    Shape Mind Blade (Su): At 5th level, a soulknife gains the ability to change the form of his mind blade. As a full-round action, he can change his mind blade to replicate a longsword (damage 1d8 for a Medium weapon wielded as a one-handed weapon) or a bastard sword (damage 1d10 for a Medium weapon, but he must wield it as a two-handed weapon unless he knows the Exotic Weapon Pro?ciency (bastard sword) feat). If a soulknife shapes his mind blade into the form of a bastard sword and wields it two-handed, he adds 1-1/2 times his Strength bonus to his damage rolls, just like when using any other two-handed weapon.

Alternatively, a soulknife can split his mind blade into two identical short swords, suitable for fighting with a weapon in each hand. (The normal penalties for fighting with two weapons apply.) However, both mind blades have an enhancement bonus 1 lower than the soulknife would otherwise create with a single mind blade. For example, a 12th-level soulknife normally creates a single +3 mind blade, but he could use this ability to instead materialize two +2 mind blades.

Enhancing reassigning your mind blade's special weapon abilities (like Fire Burst, or Keen) takes 8 hours of concentration, however. You can shift it from shortsword to longsword to bastard sword, etc and it would retain whatever weapon special abilities you assigned your mind blade beforehand no matter which shape it takes.

Can a Soul knife use their powers during a rage? SK/Barbarian is something I like to play in gestalt if the powers mix properly.
    Nothing in a Barbarian's Rage ability says that he wouldn't be able to use supernatural abilities, unless they require concentration. Nothing in a Soulknife's Mind Blade ability says anything about concentration, so by RAW it shouldn't be an issue.

...Oh. Wait. Biscuit's already making an SK/Barb.

There went my idea, but maybe I could put together an SK/Ninja instead...
    My proposed build only has the character starting as a barbarian before progressing to fighter, and then monk - essentially starting off as a slavering barbarian but learning more and more discipline as they progress until they've refined their combat skills until it is a more cultured and calculated style of fighting. Still plenty of room for an actual slavering barbarian. Ninja works too. Though I'd suggest Rokugan Ninja (if the DM is okay with it, since it is from a very obscure splatbook) for the increased Base Attack Bonus (and the fact that their sneak attack is far superior to sudden strike unless you're picking feats and classes to be highly specialized in making sudden strike viable). I think Scout would also do very well, especially since a Soulknife gets Speed of Thought as a bonus feat at level 6.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 2021-09-22 at 06:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm okay with the Rokugan Ninja. If accepted, you may need to remind me every few weeks to stop referencing the CAdv version.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I see! Thanks for being so helpful on this.

I hadn't thought of optimizing things so much, and I really just like making laser swords and not laser bows, so my character would be alot closer to Thundarr (in spirit, anyway...)

Too bad there's not some way to combine monk and Soul knife to get the mind blade to deal unarmed monk damage, eh? But... does scout actually work with a melee build, or is skirmish ideally only useful for ranged?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Iím intrigued by this game, mostly because I have a million bad gestalt ideas and love a good build challenge with limits. Plus the City of Brass sounds cool.
    Letís see if I can come up with something interesting.
    My characters:
    Thorik Harthur [ OoC / IC ]

24. - Top - End - #54

OldWizardGuy

If LA buy off isn't in effect what's the use of that extra thousand XP

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    OK.

Regarding Improved Granted Power, the feat name is "Improved Power." My bad. The basics of the feat is granting a new power as long as you have the granted power the domain which serves as a requirement.
    @Toliudar Are you able to find it with your google-fu?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    @Toliudar Are you able to find it with your google-fu?
    I've been able to find the text of the feat, but since the text of the feat seems to be, essentially, "if you have a domain in which you get the basic power, get a new power," it doesn't tell me much. Could you PM me the domain power you're hoping to gain?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Foul View Post
    If LA buy off isn't in effect what's the use of that extra thousand XP
    I didn't want to eliminate the possibility of things like crafting, necropolitan, the already-mentioned Planar Touchstones and the like. They shouldn't be necessary for this campaign, but I'm already closing so many doors...
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-09-22 at 08:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

OldWizardGuy

I wasn't aware necropolitin and planar touchstones cost XP. Noted I had kinda discounted crafting as an option with the elimination of most of the primary casting classes.
    but then I suppose with wilder, magewrite, warlock, healer, lurk, Paladin and ranger still on the table it's nice to accommodate them

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm starting on a LE Marshall/Warmage.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Working on an emancipated pit fighter who is working as a mercenary. She was bred to die a gladiator, worked her way up from fighter to stage hand, then bought her freedom after her lover was killed in a tragic elephant stampede and the producers wouldn't pay to have them raised.

Name: Tyosh
    Race: Chameleonic Human
    Alignment: LN
    God: Hoar
    Class Magewright-> warmage->Pale Master//Divine Mind

Edit: if I can use the Necromantic bloodline feat from. Dragon compendium, I can qualify as a warmage.
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2021-09-22 at 09:24 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett