New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default [2e] Ranger as Beorn, not Aragorn

Ok, a little more concrete on the second option. I'm going to use my C&P D&D to describe it, but here we go:

Access to Spheres (10): Lesser access to Animal, Plant, and Travelers
    Additional Attacks (30) Like a fighter
    Defense Bonus (15) Increasing AC with level
    Empathy with Animals (10)
    Improved Combat (10) Fighter ThAC0
    Improved HD (10) d10 HD
    Magic Item Use (5): Warrior
    Maximum Spell Level (40) No more than 4th level spells
    Minor Spell Point Pool (20) Spell points roughly equivalent to a Bard
    Overcome Resistance (15): Can hit creatures requiring magical weapons.
    Proficiency Group Crossovers (10): Warrior and Priest
    Shapechange (20): Going to move this forward to 1st level, but discount it a bit because it only allows a single shape; usually a bear, but other natural animals with DM permission. As a druid, though, 3 times a day and back.
    Warrior Ability Bonuses (20): Exceptional Strength and Exceptional Con bonus
    Woodswise (10)

Total: 225.

Now, restrictions:
    Alignment Restrictions (10): Must be partially neutral
    Behavior/Taboo (2): Strict vegetarian; may eat animal products, but no meat. Also: No animal parts in equipment; no bone, no sinew, no leather
    Limited Armor (15): No armor at all. Can use a shield.
    Reduced Spell Power (10): Caster level penalized
    Slower casting time (5): Spells are cast at 3 slower

Total is 183.

So, this character can use any weapon, but no armor except shields. They do fine in no armor, and can shapechange 3 times per day into a given creature, and hit things that need magical weapons without weapons. As they level up, their AC will improve, and I would carry that to their animal form, as well. They have some spellcasting, but pretty limited in options (though, to be fair, they have some really good spells in those few), and not a lot of spell points... especially since, with Lesser Access to their spheres, spells cost about 50% more than they do for those with Greater Access; without at least 2 15s, they won't be able to cast at 1st level. They are slightly cheaper than the paladin (190), actually a bit more expensive than the mage (172; those weapon and armor restrictions, combined with lower HD and ThAC0 really add up).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [2e] Ranger as Beorn, not Aragorn

I feel like this class would have a hard time surviving at low levels. AC 7 or so (black bear before any potential dexterity bonus) doesn't seem good enough for a 1st level melee character (consider that a fighter or cleric is probably AC 3 or 4). Damage would be good at low levels, but I feel like it might drop off at higher levels. Probably depends on what your strength is. You might also suffer at higher levels in not being able to use a lot of magic items (at least, not in bear form).
    Last edited by Thane of Fife; 2021-09-19 at 04:24 PM.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [2e] Ranger as Beorn, not Aragorn

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    I feel like this class would have a hard time surviving at low levels. AC 7 or so (black bear before any potential dexterity bonus) doesn't seem good enough for a 1st level melee character (consider that a fighter or cleric is probably AC 3 or 4). Damage would be good at low levels, but I feel like it might drop off at higher levels. Probably depends on what your strength is. You might also suffer at higher levels in not being able to use a lot of magic items (at least, not in bear form).
    Those are definitely issues.

A low-level Beorn is probably best served by using ranged attacks and surprise (aided by the Woodswise ability), but they are definitely going to run into issues.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.