A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I am stuck in the Void (due to the deck of many things)

Lets face it: even if the suggested use of the Handy Haversack on the DoMT was RAW, which I personally don't think it is - would any sane DM let this happen?

Since artifacts exist entirely at the whim of the DM, assuming this reading was enforced, you'd be bonkers to ever put one into a campaign. Essentially you'd be saying to every PC (and NPC, for the matter) in the world "Here, have a whole bunch of crazy powerful permanent buffs and other benefits for free".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

This sounds like your party is going to have to rescue you. They might have to jump through some hoops to make it happen, particularly if your GM has really customized this deck.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Not that I can see in the resource I have. As described in the OP, there's cards that effectively insta-kill the card-drawer, destroy all wealth, etc, but nothing that wipes the whole party. In fact, if the draw-er transfers all items and wealth to another party member, it neuters several cards entirely. With that said, I didn't know what level their party was or what resources they have available apart from the deck. Obviously having access to level 9 spells could obviate the need for the deck. Barring sentimentality, it's probably most appropriate to roll another character in terms of risk-reward, but that's not what OP was asking for.
    Actually, given that the wording of Talons says "every magic item owned or possessed by the character", I'd argue that just handing them to another PC isn't going to cut it. You'd have to legitimately pass them on with no intent of reclaiming them.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Albanymusicfund View Post
    Hello Gianttip,

I hope everyone is well in whatever time zone you may be in. I am in a bit of a pickle. My character was drawing from the Deck of Many Things and was sent to the void. For the sake of my question I would like to assume that there is no DM intervention here, how could I escape from the Void? I was thinking that possibly class retraining into a Risen Martyr could possibly help.

Even if the party knew where I was, they cannot planeshift to my specific plane of entrapment because of story reasons.

Any ideas from you guys?

Best,
    AlbanyMusicFund
    Remember your character is not in "The Void". Your character's psyche is trapped in a prison somewhere, in an object on a far plane or planet. It could also possibly be in possession of an outsider. First thing's first: find your character's psyche. Someone needs to cast wish or miracle or find/buy a ring of three wishes or luckblade with wishes remaining. There are also rules for purchasing spellcasting services.
    Once the psyche is found, there are many possible ways to go. If it's on a different planet, you don't need to planeshift. You can really luck out and the possible outsider that possesses the psyche could be the right hand man of your character's deity. We assume it's an evil outsider, but it isn't stated.
    DM "intervention" isn't so much needed as DM ruling on where the psyche is. Until that has been determined, the rest is an exercise in futility.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Albanymusicfund View Post
    For a bit more information, I am playing a LG 14th level Warblade/Crusader/Eternal Blade which is human for stat purposes, but for fluff is a Quarter-Elf. I already tried pitching the Iron Heart Surge maneuver to my DM, but it was pretty shoddy foundation if it could actually work. We are under the employ of an epic-level Artificier and I had to draw that card to save the high-level Wizard who is central to the story.
    Thank you again.
    well, with such an employer and having just saved such a victim, you have 2 hooks to divine where your psyche is and gate there - the DM's help in fact You even have a 3rd hook with being a Crusader - surely your divinity can help in some ways...
    here is my Signature stuff

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Actually, given that the wording of Talons says "every magic item owned or possessed by the character", I'd argue that just handing them to another PC isn't going to cut it. You'd have to legitimately pass them on with no intent of reclaiming them.
    All party wealth is legally owned by the guild. A party member is loaned items and equipment and thus only ever possesses the items. Artifact tax evasion and many GM eye rolls.
    Martialsí concepts donít evolve past the mundane
    High levels arenít just lower levels with bigger numbers
    Martials have the tools they need for relevance

Pick 2

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yes, and in fact the Deck specifically states this to be the case
    This has always bothered me. Why make it a deck, then, rather than a die? I mean, you typically resolve it with die rolls, anyway!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    "...mortal magic such as this." But haversacks are very much different than antimagic field spells in a whole bunch of different ways. For one, it's a magic item, not a spell, and for two, it's very, very different conceptually.
    "Such as this" is a very broad qualifier, and since the only specific in that sentence is "Mortal magic", then "such as this" isn't referring to the function of the spell, but rather then fact that the spell is mortal magic. Thus, the sentence could be logically restructured to be written as "This spell is mortal magic, artifacts and deities are not affected by such magic".
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    This has always bothered me. Why make it a deck, then, rather than a die? I mean, you typically resolve it with die rolls, anyway!
    Because tarot cards are spooky/ominous/fun, even in-universe.

(Also, most folks don't have a d22 laying around )
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

It surprised me that 3E seems to have no limit on the number of cards you announce that you are going to draw.

Went back and checked the 2E DMG, and was surprised to find the wording was the same.

Checked the 1E DMG, which had a maximum of 4 cards that you could announce. I could have sworn 2E was the same, but apparently not (2E wording on that is quite similar to the 3E wording).