New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default I am stuck in the Void (due to the deck of many things)

Hello Gianttip,

I hope everyone is well in whatever time zone you may be in. I am in a bit of a pickle. My character was drawing from the Deck of Many Things and was sent to the void. For the sake of my question I would like to assume that there is no DM intervention here, how could I escape from the Void? I was thinking that possibly class retraining into a Risen Martyr could possibly help.

Even if the party knew where I was, they cannot planeshift to my specific plane of entrapment because of story reasons.

Any ideas from you guys?

Best,
    AlbanyMusicFund

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I am stuck in the Void (due to the deck of many things)

Pretty sure you can't retrain without a trainer, so you're probably boned.

This is why you don't draw from the Deck of Many Things. Or include it in your game in the first place for that matter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Maybe you can turn your current PC into a homebrewed vestige and the next char you create as a binder can bind him ? :D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Albanymusicfund View Post
    My character was drawing from the Deck of Many Things and was sent to the void. For the sake of my question I would like to assume that there is no DM intervention here, how could I escape from the Void?

Even if the party knew where I was, they cannot planeshift to my specific plane of entrapment because of story reasons.
    Alright, so the void reads:

The Void: This black card spells instant disaster. The character’s body continues to function, as though comatose, but her psyche is trapped in a prison somewhere—in an object on a far plane or planet, possibly in the possession of an outsider. A wish or a miracle does not bring the character back, instead merely revealing the plane of entrapment. Draw no more cards.
    So your body is alive, which is a good start for character-hood, but your mind is sent elsewhere. This means that you should still be able to take purely mental actions, but possibly could be precluded from using items that require mental actions.

You were considering Risen Martyr, so we know your character was good, but what other abilities does your character have? It could be important and helpful. I'll start from the assumption that you're straight commoner.

Wish or Miracle reveal where your character's mind is (and conveniently, the deck can even provide wishes), but you can't planeshift there. If the restriction is specific to planeshift, there are other spells and abilities that allow you to traverse planes. Gate is an iconic option for moving between planes. If another ability would let your party travel to your mind, that could resolve the issue; they could also send your body to your mind, although that only creates another problem, haha. Alternatively, if your mind is in the possession of an outsider, you could summon the outsider with that same Gate spell.

Let's say the DM is adamant that your mind can't leave that plane, and your party can't travel to that plane. Your party could kill you by attacking your body. Having done that, your "psyche" should be dead as well, leaving you free to be raised (or preemptively cloned). However, your DM might rule that the psyche is synonymous with the soul, and that your soul is not "free and willing to return" because of the deck.

Let's say the DM is just absolutely determined that nothing you try will work (and why did they give you the deck in the first place if they only wanted to punish you?), then your party can draw from the deck to try to hit the Vizier card:

Vizier: This card empowers the character drawing it with the one-time ability to call upon a source of wisdom to solve any single problem or answer fully any question upon her request. The query or request must be made within one year. Whether the information gained can be successfully acted upon is another question entirely.
    Basically it's a yes-level pseudo-divination effect to get your DM to create a way for you to get your mind back.

If that fails and your DM just wants your character dead with no recourse? Oh look, it's your character's identical twin with the same backstory and motives! He's been exchanging letters as a pen pal for the whole campaign, so he knows all the details of the plot without needing to be filled in, and has all the same abilities (minus one level)!
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

5. - Top - End - #5

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Alright, so the void reads:

You were considering Risen Martyr, so we know your character was good, but what other abilities does your character have? It could be important and helpful. I'll start from the assumption that you're straight commoner.
    Thank you very much for this incredibly helpful and detailed guide. For a bit more information, I am playing a LG 14th level Warblade/Crusader/Eternal Blade which is human for stat purposes, but for fluff is a Quarter-Elf. I already tried pitching the Iron Heart Surge maneuver to my DM, but it was pretty shoddy foundation if it could actually work. We are under the employ of an epic-level Artificier and I had to draw that card to save the high-level Wizard who is central to the story.

Thank you again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Drawing further from the deck seems like an...iffy prospect, to be sure. Isn't there one that just kills the whole party, no save?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Drawing further from the deck seems like an...iffy prospect, to be sure. Isn't there one that just kills the whole party, no save?
    Not that I can see in the resource I have. As described in the OP, there's cards that effectively insta-kill the card-drawer, destroy all wealth, etc, but nothing that wipes the whole party. In fact, if the draw-er transfers all items and wealth to another party member, it neuters several cards entirely. With that said, I didn't know what level their party was or what resources they have available apart from the deck. Obviously having access to level 9 spells could obviate the need for the deck. Barring sentimentality, it's probably most appropriate to roll another character in terms of risk-reward, but that's not what OP was asking for.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2021-09-18 at 07:54 PM.
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I think I have to agree that this would be the unthinkable option. Seeing as my party no longer has to draw any cards for story reasons, I would rather not subject them to this card deck.

9. - Top - End - #9

SwashbucklerGuy

Not that I can see in the resource I have. As described in the OP, there's cards that effectively insta-kill the card-drawer, destroy all wealth, etc, but nothing that wipes the whole party. In fact, if the draw-er transfers all items and wealth to another party member, it neuters several cards entirely. With that said, I didn't know what level their party was or what resources they have available apart from the deck. Obviously having access to level 9 spells could obviate the need for the deck. Barring sentimentality, it's probably most appropriate to roll another character in terms of risk-reward, but that's not what OP was asking for.
    Level 9 spells are more than accessible for my party.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh, another tool that might allow shenanigans to recall your character's mind: the Teleport through Time spell. I wouldn't personally recommend it unless nothing else works though, because historically (pun intended), time travel has been quite the can of worms in literature.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Reading about the effects of the Void instantly made me think about Disembodied Spirit, which I was looking into recently.

Unfortunately that template also lacks info on how to undo the condition.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

If your group decides to draw from the Deck to undo your misfortune, have them toss the deck into a Heward's Handy Haversack and use its ability to put anything on top to draw only the cards they want, since they're at the top of the deck.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This would be a good time for an intelligent magic item to be equipped to your character. It would automatically take control of the body, and keep it going until the party can get your mind back.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

14. - Top - End - #14

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    If your group decides to draw from the Deck to undo your misfortune, have them toss the deck into a Heward's Handy Haversack and use its ability to put anything on top to draw only the cards they want, since they're at the top of the deck.
    Yooooooooo. Thank you so much for this advice!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

That would put the whole deck on top as that is the item. The individual cards are part of that item's entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That would put the whole deck on top as that is the item. The individual cards are part of that item's entry.
    And yet they're individual items in and of themselves, else they couldn't be separated from the stack by drawing them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Have a completely loyal minion draw all the cards until they hit Vizier to find out how to recall OP's psyche.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

18. - Top - End - #18

Have a completely loyal minion draw all the cards until they hit Vizier to find out how to recall OP's psyche.
    Best done via a summoning spell.

Disposable minions are the best minions.

19. - Top - End - #19

And yet they're individual items in and of themselves, else they couldn't be separated from the stack by drawing them.
    But they are never actually separated from the item. Even when you draw a card, the deck itself - the item - still consists of 22.`
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

If you have access to Wish (or Miracle), it mentions that this reveals the plane of entrapment. Also, while those can't bring the soul back directly, it doesn't say anything about not bringing the party (plus the body) to the soul (which Wish can do "regardless of local conditions"). Might be a problem is the soul is guarded by something nasty, but otherwise there you go.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Freedom (specific counter for similar effects), Miracle in XP mode (i.e. "petition deity" rather than directly trying to rescue the person), Wish and Plane Shift, Wish and Wish (i.e. "ignore teleport restrictions").

Using an item based off a 5th level spell to try to cheat an artifact sounds like a good way to find death. Minions are slightly better, although some of the draws are hazardous to bystanders, while others would probably make you lose the Deck.
    Last edited by Teth; 2021-09-20 at 07:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Wish to find out where you are.

Whatever the highest spell level appropriate divination spell is to determine what kind of containment you're subject to.

Then, so long as your soul/mind isn't trapped by one of the very few things that prevent it, be slain and then subjected to True Resurrection.

Barring that? Play an alt character while your friends delve into the dark pits of wherever you are trapped to rescue yourself.
    This is one of the few things I like Leadership for. Provides a nice neat canned character to step into the vacancy left by their boss.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2021-09-22 at 05:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

From my experience, when The Void has been drawn in Deck Of Many Things, the GM usually has a small side-quest/adventure for the party to rescue the trapped-PC's soul.

Since it's your character that's trapped, maybe you can play a temporary character for the adventure. Maybe a relative or follower of your PC (since you seem to be high level), or someone who might have lead on where to go to rescue your PC.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Artifacts aren't affected by mortal magic.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Artifacts aren't affected by mortal magic.
    They can't be created by mortal means or destroyed by mortal magic. Nothing about being affected by mortal effort. Unless you have a quote?

But they are never actually separated from the item. Even when you draw a card, the deck itself - the item - still consists of 22.`
    Source for this?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-09-22 at 11:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Source for this?
    ...The item's entry? "A deck of many things contains 22 cards." Draw the whole deck and hand it to someone else (or more likely, leave it on the ground for them to pick up since you probably got imprisoned), and it'll have 22 cards.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

They can't be created by mortal means or destroyed by mortal magic. Nothing about being affected by mortal effort. Unless you have a quote?

Source for this?
    "Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this."

Second last sentence of the antimagic field spell.

Even if your theory worked, the cards would have no effect, because they must be draw from the deck to have their magic bestown. Your method doesn't draw them from the deck, it draws them from the haversack.

As for the actual topic of the thread, you're basically out of luck if your party can't even plane shift to your plane. Your best bet would be to come up with something with the DM that brings your character back. Perhaps he has made a secret pact with the outsider that had his soul, in exchange for his freedom, or something like that.
    Last edited by Crake; 2021-09-23 at 08:50 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

28. - Top - End - #28

...The item's entry? "A deck of many things contains 22 cards." Draw the whole deck and hand it to someone else (or more likely, leave it on the ground for them to pick up since you probably got imprisoned), and it'll have 22 cards.
    Then you can redraw the same card over and over, since it can't be removed from the deck, even if you draw it?

And how does that map to, "I have a box of 22 rocks. I removed one. Now I have a box of 21 rocks and 1 rock that's not in the box." Because it's the same logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    "Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this."

Second last sentence of the antimagic field spell.

Even if your theory worked, the cards would have no effect, because they must be draw from the deck to have their magic bestown. Your method doesn't draw them from the deck, it draws them from the haversack.

As for the actual topic of the thread, you're basically out of luck if your party can't even plane shift to your plane. Your best bet would be to come up with something with the DM that brings your character back. Perhaps he has made a secret pact with the outsider that had his soul, in exchange for his freedom, or something like that.
    "...mortal magic such as this." But haversacks are very much different than antimagic field spells in a whole bunch of different ways. For one, it's a magic item, not a spell, and for two, it's very, very different conceptually.

So if using the haversack is extremely different in almost every way, does it still fit in the "such as this" paradigm? I'm not convinced that it does.

29. - Top - End - #29

Then you can redraw the same card over and over, since it can't be removed from the deck, even if you draw it?
    Yes, and in fact the Deck specifically states this to be the case
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical about the "Stuff in a haystack and pull out a needle" Haversack solution. If you could do that, a Haversack test would be a standard thing for all shops. Put the stuff in, pull out "a fake coin," "a cursed [thing you know is in the bag]," "a stolen [thing you know is in the bag]," and so on. Could also revolutionize any task that needs you to separate one thing from another. (Mark it down for another Tippyverse item, I guess). You'd also be able to use it for immediate Lich phylactery detection, if you're not sure what part of the loot it is. Take everything that isn't bolted down, put it in the bag, then pull out "Zaxxorg the Lich's Phylactery."

Yeah, magic is magic, but I'd probably rule that you need to have a clear picture in your head of the specific thing you're looking for. If you haven't specifically seen it, or don't know what it looks like, you can't pull it out. For the Deck of Many Things specifically, it just wouldn't work. A CL-9 magic item certainly shouldn't be able to wreck the whole point of an artifact-level item. If it did work, it would be common knowledge, and everybody who could find a copy would already have all of the positive benefits you could find in the deck.