A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Rapier dominance for Dex characters, and a houserule

Quote Originally Posted by jas61292 View Post
    While ranged combat is indeed strong, I don't think it is necessarily that much stronger. It may certainly vary game to game, I don't think I have ever had a game where the downsides of range were not at least somewhat significant. At least, that is, if you either do not play with feats or specifically disallow Sharpshooter. That feat is horrific and destroys all melee/ranged balance. But just with the base rules I think the downsides of ranged combat are significant enough that they are relatively balanced overall.
    Yea, things are much more balanced in the base rules.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kylar0990 View Post
    It's not the rapier itself that causing that; it's the way your holding your arm for an extended length of time. Ten rounds of combat would only be 1 minute. Would 1 minute really be that strenuous? It may take more strength than I realize to learn, but the game doesn't really offer a mechanic for that.
    I think you're assuming the fighter is using modern sport fencing technique. That pose assumes your opponent is also a fencer armed only with a rapier: you use your rapier to deflect his rapier. I've seen people fence using cloaks or bucklers in the off hand. They don't use that pose; most often I saw them hold the weapon low by the hip with the cloak/ buckler hand forward, so they could try to get in a thrust from behind their cloak or buckler defense. At any event, that pose would be a good deal less useful if your opponent were hiding behind a kite shield and responding to your pose by trying to hack off your nicely exposed arm.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

This might be the thread that finally makes me give up on these forums, this is such a bad take and to see so many people agreeing is insane.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    This might be the thread that finally makes me give up on these forums, this is such a bad take and to see so many people agreeing is insane.
    Are we reading the same thread? Most of the comments in this one along the lines of "this is unnecessary" or discussing alternative rule changes, with a tangent about how mechanics do or do not model reality. I don't think a single reply has actually agreed with the OP's proposal outright.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    ...Similar archetypal descriptions can be applied to the other ability scores--INT is not an IQ score, but the warthog kneels.
    Wait, what??

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
    Wait, what??
    Sorry, in-joke/multiply-mutated reference from another forum. Usually done there in the form of a custom emoji of a warthog kneeling. The origins of the reference are lost to time, but it's basically "I should, but I'm too lazy". Effectively what I meant was "the exercise is left to the reader because eh, too lazy right now."
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
    I think you're assuming the fighter is using modern sport fencing technique. That pose assumes your opponent is also a fencer armed only with a rapier: you use your rapier to deflect his rapier. I've seen people fence using cloaks or bucklers in the off hand. They don't use that pose; most often I saw them hold the weapon low by the hip with the cloak/ buckler hand forward, so they could try to get in a thrust from behind their cloak or buckler defense. At any event, that pose would be a good deal less useful if your opponent were hiding behind a kite shield and responding to your pose by trying to hack off your nicely exposed arm.
    Technically most classical rapier has 4 guards. 1st and 4th are really only used if your weapon ends up in that spot where as 2nd and 3rd are the standard.

1st is arm aimed upward, hand turned so the back of your hand is facing inward, blade held with the point going forward and down a bit. It's essentially a guard trained so you can move from when you draw the weapon.

2nd is a complete straight arm. Generally used when you have to fight after a thrust.

3rd is closest to the "generic" elbow close to your side, weapon straight forward to give as narrow a profile as possible. This does still drain because the actual stance involves tucking your elbow and if you do it right you feel strain all along your forearm.

4th moves the blade to your center, still point forward, back of the hand facing down. Essentially there because some strikes need you in a different position than the 2nd.

Oddly enough, the stance you mention (Hands at hip) is jokingly called the Gun Slinger. It's not a good stance, you are deliberately out of line to make an attack, you have to move the blade further and you telegraph a lot more. It's done as a feint or as a sign of contempt to try and lull people into mistakes. I love the stance, but it's deliberately leaving yourself exposed and trusting that you're so much faster or skilled you can overcome a deliberate handicap.

Also, you mention 2nd guard leaving your arm exposed. It doesn't. The way you tuck your arm leaves it all behind the hilt of the blade. It's not more exposed than your leg it, which is to say there is exposure, but it's not as easy a target as it seems.
    Last edited by Pixel_Kitsune; 2021-09-23 at 02:44 PM.