A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Anyone up for deviant the renegades?

Hi I'm ameraaaaaa. Sorry if i sound very awkward at recruitment posts.

Before i go in more detail about the game here's the other stuff out of the way.

System: deviant the renegades.

Player Count: 2 to 4.

Style of Play: sandbox. I'm a very improvisational gm. So whether you end up superheroes with fangs (to borrow the vampire term) and/or deep emotional characters is fine by me.

Allowed Content: anything in the book deviant the renegades.

Character Creation: as stated in deviant the renegades.

Backstory: skirt length minimum but generally longer the better.

Experience: starting character.

Wealth: as your merits allow. Tho given your on the run from the conspiracies i doubt you'd have much.

Ability Scores: starting character.

Hitpoints/Health: the amount given by your attribute scores.

Alignment: be as good or evil as you want! Just make sure you can work together and you don't break the forum rules.

Other Notes: I'm not a very experienced game master but I'll do my best!

So yeah i have no set in stone ideas since I'm a more reactionary gm. So ideally me (the gm) and the players will discuss what kind of game we're aiming for. Whatever that be.

Edit oh yeah. We'll discuss what is the starting chronicle threat level together based on what the players want.
    Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-09-20 at 07:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Anyone up for deviant the renegades?

Quote Originally Posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
    Hi I'm ameraaaaaa. Sorry if i sound very awkward at recruitment posts.

Before i go in more detail about the game here's the other stuff out of the way.

System: deviant the renegades.

Player Count: 2 to 4.

Style of Play: sandbox. I'm a very improvisational gm. So whether you end up superheroes with fangs (to borrow the vampire term) and/or deep emotional characters is fine by me.

Allowed Content: anything in the book deviant the renegades.

Character Creation: as stated in deviant the renegades.

Backstory: skirt length minimum but generally longer the better.

Experience: starting character.

Wealth: as your merits allow. Tho given your on the run from the conspiracies i doubt you'd have much.

Ability Scores: starting character.

Hitpoints/Health: the amount given by your attribute scores.

Alignment: be as good or evil as you want! Just make sure you can work together and you don't break the forum rules.

Other Notes: I'm not a very experienced game master but I'll do my best!

So yeah i have no set in stone ideas since I'm a more reactionary gm. So ideally me (the gm) and the players will discuss what kind of game we're aiming for. Whatever that be.

Edit oh yeah. We'll discuss what is the starting chronicle threat level together based on what the players want.
    I've never played Deviant, or any chronicles of darkness game, but if your willing to be patient with me this sounds AWESOME! I love these types of mutated against your will on the run types of games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    I've never played Deviant, or any chronicles of darkness game, but if your willing to be patient with me this sounds AWESOME! I love these types of mutated against your will on the run types of games.
    No worries. I will be as patient as needed. This is also my 1st time running this system but luckily since it's pbp I'm able to just read the rule in the book if needed and i do grasp the basics (dice pools, characters ect)

So what would be your suggestion for starting threat level. Any character idea in particular?
    Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-09-20 at 08:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Chimera

No worries. I will be as patient as needed. This is also my 1st time running this system but luckily since it's pbp I'm able to just read the rule in the book if needed and i do grasp the basics (dice pools, characters ect)

So what would be your suggestion for starting power level. Any character idea in particular?
    No idea for starting power level, and I havent finished reading the book yet, but I do have a ton of ideas in this kind of world. I can toss a few around and you can tell me if they fit inot the game? and if they don't we can come back when I've read character creation.

Ideas:

New mage:
    A character who was raised among several hundred other children, the Conspiracy wanted to unluck the secrets of magic, but every time they tried to force any grown human to understand it, they died of a brain anuerism as the new knowledge was too much. So they start with infants instead. these children are randomly sorted into different groups and exposed to different theoretical variations of magic, some inspired by Greek myths, some Celtice, others Egyptian and Nordic. Of the hundreds barely a handful survive, and of those even fewer are sane. One has burned into his mind Knolwedge of ancient runes and magics that the world deemed long forgotten. Each survivor is a resource n ow, the only ones capabkle of teaching their branch of "Magic" to later generations, so when Rune(name subject to change) violently escapes, it is necassary to retrieve him alive under any means necassary.

Abomination:
    He had been a hunter, a fighter, a man who believed in justice. Now he was the kind of monster he used to hunt, only those had been human. They'd changed him, those bastards who'd found him out, made him the "Perfect killing machine" he looked like a monster from a horror novel now. His left arm sewn on after it was dead but somehow still alive, his teeth elongated into fangs, his mind called by that blasted moon every month. He hungered for blood and for the brains of the living, and it grew worse when the part of him that was Wolf howled to the winds. His captors had tried silver to put him down, but the other two thirds of his mutated walking corpse ignored it. They tried a wooden stake and holy water, and the dead man and wolf parts shrugged it off even as the Sucker third howled in pain. They tried destroying his brain, but the wolf and bat halves just reforged it anew before the dead half could truly perish. They'd made him a monster and now they wanted him gone. but he was THEIR monster, and now he would be their executioner.(Zombie/werewolf/vampire hybrid, in case it wasn't clear)

These are just the two I have now and I'll probably get more as I read the actual book and get inspired
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-09-20 at 08:40 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

No idea for starting power level, and I havent finished reading the book yet, but I do have a ton of ideas in this kind of world. I can toss a few around and you can tell me if they fit inot the game? and if they don't we can come back when I've read character creation.

Ideas:

New mage:
    A character who was raised among several hundred other children, the Conspiracy wanted to unluck the secrets of magic, but every time they tried to force any grown human to understand it, they died of a brain anuerism as the new knowledge was too much. So they start with infants instead. these children are randomly sorted into different groups and exposed to different theoretical variations of magic, some inspired by Greek myths, some Celtice, others Egyptian and Nordic. Of the hundreds barely a handful survive, and of those even fewer are sane. One has burned into his mind Knolwedge of ancient runes and magics that the world deemed long forgotten. Each survivor is a resource n ow, the only ones capabkle of teaching their branch of "Magic" to later generations, so when Rune(name subject to change) violently escapes, it is necassary to retrieve him alive under any means necassary.

Abomination:
    He had been a hunter, a fighter, a man who believed in justice. Now he was the kind of monster he used to hunt, only those had been human. They'd changed him, those bastards who'd found him out, made him the "Perfect killing machine" he looked like a monster from a horror novel now. His left arm sewn on after it was dead but somehow still alive, his teeth elongated into fangs, his mind called by that blasted moon every month. He hungered for blood and for the brains of the living, and it grew worse when the part of him that was Wolf howled to the winds. His captors had tried silver to put him down, but the other two thirds of his mutated walking corpse ignored it. They tried a wooden stake and holy water, and the dead man and wolf parts shrugged it off even as the Sucker third howled in pain. They tried destroying his brain, but the wolf and bat halves just reforged it anew before the dead half could truly perish. They'd made him a monster and now they wanted him gone. but he was THEIR monster, and now he would be their executioner.(Zombie/werewolf/vampire hybrid, in case it wasn't clear)

These are just the two I have now and I'll probably get more as I read the actual book and get inspired
    For the mage it depends on what his magic does. But the system is very flexible so it shouldn't be a problem. Each spell would probably be some sort of variation. Maybe have the versatile aspect to your lash to reflect different attack spells.

For the abomination the hard to kill aspect can be represented by the ability rapid healing. The rest of the abilities should probably be possible. If they have to drink blood or eat flesh that can be represented by the dependency scar. Just make sure to not go into too much physical detail about the flesh eating due to forum rules.

I don't think you can read to book freely without piracy so if your probably gonna need to buy it. Though i could be wrong.
    Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-09-20 at 08:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

For the mage it depends on what his magic does. But the system is very flexible so it shouldn't be a problem. Each spell would probably be some sort of variation. Maybe have the versatile aspect to your lash to reflect different attack spells.

For the abomination the hard to kill aspect can be represented by the ability rapid healing. The rest of the abilities should probably be possible. If they have to drink blood or eat flesh that can be represented by the dependency scar. Just make sure to not go into too much physical detail about the flesh eating due to forum rules.
    Will do, I don't like writing gore anyways. I have aquired the book and will post an update if I find anything better/get inspired more. And please let me know which one you like better.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Will do, I don't like writing gore anyways. I have aquired the book and will post an update if I find anything better/get inspired more. And please let me know which one you like better.
    I like the mage better since i like the conspiracy described there a bit more. Go with what you like of course. :)

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

I like the mage better since i like the conspiracy described there a bit more. Go with what you like of course. :)
    Mage is honestly currently my favorite, I've thought about that one for years so it's decently fleshed out at least vibve wise, how I want that character to act and respond feels natural and solid. But I don't have a full concept for anything so it lets you work your story magic how you wish.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-09-20 at 08:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mage is honestly currently my favorite, I've thought abput that one for years so it's decently fleshed out at least vibve wise, how I want that character to act and respond feels natural and solid. But I don't have a full concept for anything so it lets you work your story magic how you wish.
    That's great to hear! I'm excited to see them in action!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd be interested in trying out renegade. Haven't really looked too much at it, so might take me a little while to get something together, but all the same if there's space available by the time I get a character in here I'd be up for playing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flame12 View Post
    I'd be interested in trying out renegade. Haven't really looked too much at it, so might take me a little while to get something together, but all the same if there's space available by the time I get a character in here I'd be up for playing
    Cool cool. Just to clarify I'm not asking for characters yet since part of character creation is collaborative (the starting power level) so I'd need to pick my players 1st beforehand. So basically it 1st 4 people to sign up then i create a ooc then you make your characters there.

12. - Top - End - #12

Chimera

I think looking over everything that if I go with my "Magic" character he'd be classified as infused. Which might actually make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cool cool. Just to clarify I'm not asking for characters yet since part of character creation is collaborative (the starting power level) so I'd need to pick my players 1st beforehand. So basically it 1st 4 people to sign up then i create a ooc then you make your characters there.
    Gotcha. Well, here's to hoping it's a short wait for the next couple players

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flame12 View Post
    Gotcha. Well, here's to hoping it's a short wait for the next couple players
    I'm fine with 2 to 4 so I'll give like a week for the next 2 to sign up. Though hopefully we don't have to wait that long. So basically whichever comes 1st the next 2 players or the week is over. So either way it's gonna be short wait before the game starts.

15. - Top - End - #15

Chimera

I'm fine with 2 to 4 so I'll give like a week for the next 2 to sign up. Though hopefully we don't have to wait that long. So basically whichever comes 1st the next 2 players or the week is over. So either way it's gonna be short wait before the game starts.
    Nice! I'm going to start typing up more backstory when I make final descisions, if thats good with you and the new guy.

Question: would someone raised from birth or at least infancy in a Conspiracy be an Epimorph, exomorph, or genotypal? The character is unwilling but did grow up with this being the norm, but he was a baby when it happened so I wouldn't call him a volunteer like an Epimorph. And he isn't born with his abilities they are given to him, or forced into him as it were, but he does grow up in it and it's braionwashing kind of like a Genotypal.

Which one do you think works best?

Oh also, new friend, did you want to work together to be linked in backstory to the same conspiracy or did you want to meet after our respective personal nightmares? Because either works for me.

Edit: Apparently these are in the middle of things I need to choose so I can't really make too much progress till we get to character creation.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-09-20 at 11:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I've never tried World of Darkness, so I'm quite interested.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Can I be an Actual Mage from Mage the Awakening?

Edit: Wait, that's not in the allowed content.
    Last edited by Wikimaster; 2021-09-20 at 09:56 PM.
    I must think before I post.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice! I'm going to start typing up more backstory when I make final descisions, if thats good with you and the new guy.

Question: would someone raised from birth or at least infancy in a Conspiracy be an Epimorph, exomorph, or genotypal? The character is unwilling but did grow up with this being the norm, but he was a baby when it happened so I wouldn't call him a volunteer like an Epimorph. And he isn't born with his abilities they are given to him, or forced into him as it were, but he does grow up in it and it's braionwashing kind of like a Genotypal.

Which one do you think works best?

Oh also, new friend, did you want to work together to be linked in backstory to the same conspiracy or did you want to meet after our respective personal nightmares? Because either works for me.

Edit: Apparently these are in the middle of things I need to choose so I can't really make too much progress till we get to character creation.
    Exomorph makes more sense to me. It's not like you chose to be brainwashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cap View Post
    I've never tried World of Darkness, so I'm quite interested.
    Glad to have you aboard!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

All 4 of you are accepted. Create your characters in the ooc.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...2#post25203932

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If your still recruiting I’d love to play-but no worries if you’ve already hit a maximum for PCs as well
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by n0ble View Post
    If your still recruiting I’d love to play-but no worries if you’ve already hit a maximum for PCs as well
    No worries. 1 of the players dropped out so there's room for one more if you'd like?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

No worries. 1 of the players dropped out so there's room for one more if you'd like?
    Sure sounds good to me!
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, probably out of luck here but I recently got the deviant book but haven't had a chance to play yet. Could you keep me in mind if you need a sub?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry we're gonna start soon so i can't really delay it further.