New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The idea of starting out as some smol tiny critter that grows more powerful through effort and periodically metamorphosing into her forms as power increases until finally ending up reverted to humanoid form appeals to me.

This should be surprising to no one.
    So...... you want to a Final Fantasy final boss? because thats basically what you'd be.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    So...... you want to a Final Fantasy final boss? because thats basically what you'd be.
    Well, without the metamorphosis it just kind of describes a standard human.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

A final fatasy boss starts powerful and cycles throughfors as phases in response to either undergoing somekind of ritual, sef experimentation, or a power melt down.

I was thinking something more like a Digimon.
    Spoiler: Example Lineage
    Show

Imges are not on the same scale.

Those are all the same organism at different stages in its life cycle... Kinda. I had to make a bit of an assumption at one point and there are actually a lot of ways some of those forms can go.

Bit of trivia, despite being smaller, more humanoid, and more streamlined, the last form is canonically slower and heavier than the one before it. Less armor allows for more agility and a more durable armor makes for a better defense despite having less, but the heavier metal cuts down on overall speed.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-10-17 at 10:50 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

My new favourite meaningless advertising phrase: "most scientifically researched".

I can scientifically research whether or not diluting aspirin until it's just water causes you pain for twenty years. It doesn't mean that when I seem it as a pain induction method that it actually works.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Bugbear in the Playground

A final fatasy boss starts powerful and cycles throughfors as phases in response to either undergoing somekind of ritual, sef experimentation, or a power melt down.
    Coming of age rituals, stuff people do in high school and college and then the midlife crisis. Huh, I guess humans really are like final fantasy bosses.

6. - Top - End - #636

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Coming of age rituals, stuff people do in high school and college and then the midlife crisis. Huh, I guess humans really are like final fantasy bosses.
    Okay, I get we're joking, but humans do not become more powerful with age or effort.

They can grow physically stronger, or acquire metaphorical power, but no amount of pushups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, or squat trusts is going to let you fly exhale a continuous stream of ultradense plasma and being really good at your job isn't going to make you live forever.

Nor do humans go through drastic physical changes as a result of acquiring power: The most drastic thing that happens is you get bigger and lankier for the first two decades of your life, then five years later you start getting steadily weaker at a slow but steadily increasing rate.

Humans do not turn into monsters as a result of any actions they perform.

Being human is not like being a final fantasy boss, nor is it like what I was talking about.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-10-18 at 04:16 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #637

Okay, I get we're joking, but humans do not become more powerful with age or effort.

They can grow physically stronger, or acquire metaphorical power, but no amount of pushups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, or squat trusts is going to let you fly exhale a continuous stream of ultradense plasma and being really good at your job isn't going to make you live forever.
    Our final form is admittedly pretty lame.

Nor do humans go through drastic physical changes as a result of acquiring power: The most drastic thing that happens is you get bigger and lankier for the first two decades of your life, then five years later you start getting steadily weaker at a slow but steadily increasing rate.

Humans do not turn into monsters as a result of any actions they perform.

Being human is not like being a final fantasy boss, nor is it like what I was talking about.
    Yes, if you over-analyze a tangential joke and treat it as if it were a serious comment it will invariably fall apart and, as when dissecting a frog, it will die in the process.

8. - Top - End - #638

Yes, if you over-analyze a tangential joke and treat it as if it were a serious comment it will invariably fall apart and, as when dissecting a frog, it will die in the process.
    ...If your school made you vivisect a life frog then it sucked worse than mine.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still annoyed I never got to vivisect a dead one. Stupid word definitions.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-10-18 at 06:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm still annoyed I never got to vivisect a dead one. Stupid word definitions.
    You are bad and you should feel bad.

11. - Top - End - #641

Sure they do. They just don't get magical powers, which you seen too think was implied by "more powerful" but was not.

12. - Top - End - #642

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sure they do. They just don't get magical powers, which you seen too think was implied by "more powerful" but was not.
    I did include a clarifying statement in the post you quoted from.
    They can grow physically stronger, or acquire metaphorical power, but...
    I consider "power" unqualified to be separate from "physical might," "experience," or "temporal power*" As I said in the post you're quoting from, humans can get stronger with age or by putting in the effort, but humans don't really have any "power."

*wealth, social status ect.

An electric eal's ability to generate bioelectricity in excess of what ti's body needs to function via certain specialized cells and then emit the current into the sounding water to kill or stun prey? That's power. Energy is being collected or generated and used to do something beyond the base physical abilities of the body.

And while we're at it, even things like strength, skill, knowledge, and social status aren't directly tied to age or effort. Two people who both weigh 50 pounds above their ideal weight while having little muscle tone could go on similar diets and perform similar routines of cardio, calisthenics, and weight training and one will probably get better results han the other due to genetic, physiological, chemical, or environmental factors.

And some people can work their ass off studying and not retain crap because their brains aren't wired to retain information that way. If they can't find, or aren't allowed to use, an alternate means of learning then they're only going to get marginal results from exceptional effort.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #643

I did include a clarifying statement in the post you quoted from.

I consider "power" unqualified to be separate from "physical might," "experience," or "temporal power*" As I said in the post you're quoting from, humans can get stronger with age or by putting in the effort, but humans don't really have any "power."
    First off, when I made the "that's humans" comment, you hadn't. Second, what you personally consider words to mean is irrelevant to what most people generally accept words to mean. Third, humans do gain "power". We can cross oceans and soar through the air. We can travel to other cestial bodies. We can cure and inflict disease. We can split the atom and wreacl untold devastation. We can irradiated the land such that no life can exist.

We started with sticks and stones. We are currently talking to each other via boxes filled with sand and lightning. If you do not consider that power, that's your own thing.

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    First off, when I made the "that's humans" comment, you hadn't.
    Irrelvant, I'd made the clarification by the time you decide to challenge me on the meaning of "power.

Second, what you personally consider words to mean is irrelevant to what most people generally accept words to mean. Third, humans do gain "power". We can cross oceans and soar through the air. We can travel to other cestial bodies. We can cure and inflict disease. We can split the atom and wreacl untold devastation. We can irradiated the land such that no life can exist.

We started with sticks and stones. We are currently talking to each other via boxes filled with sand and lightning. If you do not consider that power, that's your own thing.
    We are not doing any of that.

We are using technology that does that for us. If I buy a boat ticket, I have not gained the power to cross the ocean. I just.. Walk to where the boat is, get on it, and the boat carries me across the ocean. I've barely done anything compared to what the boat is doing, what the crew are doing, what the manufacturers did.

Technology, tools, are created to compensate for lack of power. For our lack of ability. We started smashing things with rocks becuase we did not have the strength to smash them with our bare hands and lacked the ability to gain the strength or any power to compensate for that strength.

I would find a man running ten miles in ten minutes more impressive than a man in an electric scooter scooting the same distance.

And yes, it is impressive what kind of technology we've been able to make after hundreds of thousands of years of trial and effort... But not every individual human is capable of creating such great technology. Only the ones with the right combination of inherent aptitude, interest or need, and access to the necessary resources, so even if creating impressive technology was "power" it wouldn't be a power of humans, it would be a power of a select few humans who posess it more or less by random chance.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #645

MindFlayer

What's the phrase, "familiarity breeds contempt"? The amazing powers that humans generally develop are seen as not amazing by the sheer fact that humans generally develop them. If people could generally run a 1-minute mile, then this would not be seen as an amazing power.
    I assert that language is an amazing power.
    Being able to read and write is another amazing power.
    Being able to throw rocks at things and actually hit them is fairly amazing.

16. - Top - End - #646

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    What's the phrase, "familiarity breeds contempt"? The amazing powers that humans generally develop are seen as not amazing by the sheer fact that humans generally develop them. If people could generally run a 1-minute mile, then this would not be seen as an amazing power.
    I assert that language is an amazing power.
    Being able to read and write is another amazing power.
    Being able to throw rocks at things and actually hit them is fairly amazing.
    No, those are amazing skills.

Power is the ability to consume, generate, or manipulate energy to achieve an effect.

An electrical grid has power because it generates energy. A battery has power because it stores energy. A lamp has power because it can take energy from the grid or from batteries and use it to generate light.

The only real power humans, most organisms really, have is the power to take energy from the environment and use it to not die.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #647

No, those are amazing skills.

Power is the ability to consume, generate, or manipulate energy to achieve an effect.

An electrical grid has power because it generates energy. A battery has power because it stores energy. A lamp has power because it can take energy from the grid or from batteries and use it to generate light.

The only real power humans, most organisms really, have is the power to take energy from the environment and use it to not die.
    Um, no? Living organisms consume some kind of fuel (that stores energy), generate ATP or somesuch to carry it around and then use "manipulate" the energy to achieve an effect. In the case of humans, this effect might be moving the right muscles or processing information associated with those amazing skills mentioned above.

(Also, power has a multitude of meanings more abstract than "the amount of energy transferred or converted per unit of time".)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-10-18 at 09:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #648

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Um, no? Living organisms consume some kind of fuel (that stores energy), generate ATP or somesuch to carry it around and then use the energy to achieve an effect. In the case of humans, this effect might be moving the right muscles or processing information associated with those amazing skills mentioned above.
    Yes. We have a metabolism. We consume energy from our environment, store it, and use it to keep our bodies functioning. without that ability, we would not be able to do anything, we'd just sit still until eventually we decay away.

That is our only real "power."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #649

Yes. We have a metabolism. We consume energy from our environment, store it, and use it to keep our bodies functioning. without that ability, we would not be able to do anything, we'd just sit still until eventually we decay away.

Again, speech or the ability to write or a good aim with a thrown rock use the energy we consume and store, but none of them are essential for keeping our body functioning.

20. - Top - End - #650

Nah, fortunately not. Come to think of it, does anyone know of a school that actually did that? With either live or dead frogs? I've encountered examples of it in fiction from time to time, but now that I think of it I can't recall any real life school that actually did this. Maybe they did in ye olde times?

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, fortunately not. Come to think of it, does anyone know of a school that actually did that? With either live or dead frogs? I've encountered examples of it in fiction from time to time, but now that I think of it I can't recall any real life school that actually did this. Maybe they did in ye olde times?
    I think my school did frogs at A-level (dear, obviously, so no vivisection), but I dropped biology after GCSE to focus on physics and maths (with a side of literature). I did get to do eyes and hearts though.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #652

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Again, speech or the ability to write or a good aim with a thrown rock use the energy we consume and store, but none of them are essential for keeping our body functioning.
    You're looking at it backward.

Those are things you can only do if the body is functioning. They consume bodily energy becuase they are functions of the body.

Throwing a punch is not power.

Consuming energy from the environment so that you are physically capable of doing so, however, is.

Now, if you could convert some of your metabolic energy to throw an extra-strong punch(as opposed to having to build up physical strength the hard way, or become more skilled at punching) beyond the bare minimum that's consumed by moving your body, then that would be a form of power.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #653

I think my school did frogs at A-level (dear, obviously, so no vivisection), but I dropped biology after GCSE to focus on physics and maths (with a side of literature). I did get to do eyes and hearts though.
    I think I can now vaguely remember dissecting a cow's lung (or heart?) as part of our biology class. The memory is so distant I'm not really sure.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

How is e.g. Superman any different?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #655

You're looking at it backward.

Those are things you can only do if the body is functioning.
    There's precious little you can do if the body isn't functioning.

They consume bodily energy becuase they are functions of the body.
    I'm not sure many would agree that language is a function of the body.

Throwing a punch is not power.

Consuming energy from the environment so that you are physically capable of doing so, however, is.

Now, if you could convert some of your metabolic energy to throw an extra-strong punch(as opposed to having to build up physical strength the hard way, or become more skilled at punching) beyond the bare minimum that's consumed by moving your body, then that would be a form of power.
    If your definition of power is "I can use the sun to punch you or it's not a power" or somesuch, then your definition of power is next to useless because of its limited applicability.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-10-18 at 10:15 AM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Barbarian in the Playground

My High School did but I will only say that was several decades ago. LOL
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

27. - Top - End - #657

My school did cats, for the highest level bio-class.

I consciously chose not to take that class for obvious reasons. It honestly disturbs me that cats are available for dissection. Like, seriously, the ****?

A bio-med class I took involved dissecting sheep hearts, ut I got an alternate assignment because the smell of formaldehyde made me to nauseated to pay attention to what I was doing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, there's too many cats. Dissecting them to teach people about biology is a noble cause.

Show

29. - Top - End - #659

My school did cats, for the highest level bio-class.

I consciously chose not to take that class for obvious reasons. It honestly disturbs me that cats are available for dissection. Like, seriously, the ****?
    Ugh, that wouldn't sit well with me either.

Eh, there's too many cats. Dissecting them to teach people about biology is a noble cause.
    Well, yes, I suppose you are right.... but as a cat person I just can't imagine myself doing that.
    Last edited by Form; 2021-10-18 at 10:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660

Preach it! Those Evil mass murderers deserve no better!