A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

So today I learned that the localization of Metroid Fusion was heavily simplified from the orignal Japanese and among other things, says "Federation" when the orignal said "Factions/Conspiracies within the Federation."

This is a very important distinction and is kind of frustrating that such mistakes happen as it gives a skewed idea of what is intended and results in a lot of needless fanon.

Especially when it takes over a damned decade for the next game in continuity to come out and clarify things.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So today I learned that the localization of Metroid Fusion was heavily simplified from the orignal Japanese and among other things, says "Federation" when the orignal said "Factions/Conspiracies within the Federation."

This is a very important distinction and is kind of frustrating that such mistakes happen as it gives a skewed idea of what is intended and results in a lot of needless fanon.

Especially when it takes over a damned decade for the next game in continuity to come out and clarify things.
    I mean, from what I understand, that was a common problem in localization. Japanese text could be so much denser, so things often had to be cut simply for space, even if translation was accurate.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #483

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I mean, from what I understand, that was a common problem in localization. Japanese text could be so much denser, so things often had to be cut simply for space, even if translation was accurate.
    Yeah, but
    Spoiler: I don't think his counts as a spoiler because promo matrials but just in case
    Show
    The Localization issue means that a lot of people will probably be confused about Metroid Dread opening with Samus taking jobs for the Federation despite the English version of Fusion saying "Samus royally pissed off the Federation by foiling their evil scheme and there's probably gonna be trouble from it."

When in fact, going by the original version, she only pissed off the one faction that was secretly trying to make Bio-Weapons using Metroids and the X and the rest of the federation apparently doesn't give a crap about her destroying an important research station and blowing up yet another planet.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Look, at a certain point, you accept that a planet asplode-ing is an occupational risk of getting Samus involved.
    Avatar by the wonderful BeckyPages. My OC Curtain Call.

My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

5. - Top - End - #485

Granted, the localization of Other M was worse

Apparently, Samus is a lot more resentful of Adam micromanaging her and responds to him sarcastically in the orignal, while also being anoyed at him calling her Lady.

...Basically, everything but her panic attack when confronted by the Ridley clone that people complain about, behavior-wise, regarding her controversial characterization in that game was a dubism.

(and her panic attack was a call-back: A canonical Manga that takes place prior to the orignal Metroid establishes that Ridley is a massive PTSD trigger for her. She panicked becuase she saw how without taking the time to prepare herself.)

Still doesn't explain why she thinks of Adam as such a great guy in Fusion when he was an ass in Other M, but... But then again, she was literally a child when she was working under him when she was officially part of the Federation Marines instead of an Elite Private Contractor.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Look, at a certain point, you accept that a planet asplode-ing is an occupational risk of getting Samus involved.
    "I promise, I'll leave it just as intact as I found it."
    "That's what you said about the last four planets!"
    "Yeah but I mean it this time."

>Planet explodes

*calls up Samus*
    "y'ello?"
    "... what... did you do?"
    "Alright! ... But you can't be mad at me."
    It's hard to forgive those who have wronged you but every moment you don't is another they have hurt you.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Discord: HalfTangible#7505

Extended Sig

Kalani the Heartbinder in Pan-aeons [God Game]

7. - Top - End - #487

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

>Planet explodes

*calls up Samus*
    "y'ello?"
    ...So Samus was canonically 17 during the original Metroid and only 19 during Super Metroid... Probably safe to say that she was 18 during Metroid II. Probably still 19 during Other M since it's weeks tops after the end of Super Metroid, and while we don't know how long after that Fusion takes place I would be shocked if it was more than a year given the fact that the entire Prime Series took place over less than a year.

It is entirely plausible that as of the current latest point in the timeline, that she's only 21.

Assuming that she develops at the human rate. The Chozo had an average lifespan measured in centuries and could theoretically live for multiple millennia. Samus has enough Chozo in her that, according to the manga, she used to throw herself off a 50 meter high cliff and land with enough force to leave a crater for fun as a five-year-old. We can't assume that her aging or maturation process are a strict 1-1 to unmodified humans.

There's a joke about adolescents and poor impulse control to be made regarding the swath of destruction she leaves in her wake.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

>Planet explodes

*calls up Samus*
    "y'ello?"
    "It was already like that when I found it."

9. - Top - End - #489
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sounds similar to the Lovely Angels, who leave vast destruction behind themselves in their work for the WWWA, but still keep getting assigned jobs.

10. - Top - End - #490

Look, sometimes the person who is best suited for the job is also going to leave a smoking crater in their wake. It happens. You don't put out a bounty on exterminating an entire species of creature without expecting a few eggs to get cracked, know what I'm saying?

Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but she seems to have a worse Exterminatus record than most inquisitors. And this is from somebody with the barest experience of the franchise.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #492

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look, sometimes the person who is best suited for the job is also going to leave a smoking crater in their wake. It happens. You don't put out a bounty on exterminating an entire species of creature without expecting a few eggs to get cracked, know what I'm saying?
    I don't know. There always seems to be a couple left.

Metroids are worse than Daleks when it comes to coming back from supposed extinction.

Granted: Twice that turned out to be becuase someone cloned them, but still. After a while, you might start to question why Samus always seems to miss a couple. She even spared one on purpose once.

Even when they're confirmed extinct someone tries to bring them back becuase their impossible, borderline eldritch physiology makes them simultaneously the perfect bioweapon and a cheap source of clean energy.
    Spoiler: Metrod Dread
    Show
    It's legitimately shocking that there's only the one Metroid in Dread... And you never fight it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yes, but she seems to have a worse Exterminatus record than most inquisitors. And this is from somebody with the barest experience of the franchise.
    Okay so in Samus's DEFENSE.

Zebes was destroyed in Super Metroid by Mother Brain activating self destruct. Not her FAULT.

Prime 2 has her destroy Dark Aether, which is an extradimensional space that included a planet, but also this NEEDED to happen lest OUR world be destroyed, so this is not like, beyond her call to make.

Prime 3 involves the destruction of Phaze, a living being that is planet sized that was corrupting the galaxy. This isn't planet destruction it's murder of a planet sized thing.

Fusion has her intentionally crash a space station into a planet, destroying both. It destroyed the X, which are highly infectious and would have eradicated all known life. Her fault on purpose, but NOT unnecessary.

Dread... I don't... actually know WHY the planet explodes in Dread? It comes out of nowhere honestly. Still not her fault.

So yeah I'd say she has a better record.

I don't know. There always seems to be a couple left.

Metroids are worse than Daleks when it comes to coming back from supposed extinction.

Granted: Twice that turned out to be becuase someone cloned them, but still. After a while, you might start to question why Samus always seems to miss a couple. She even spared one on purpose once.

Even when they're confirmed extinct someone tries to bring them back becuase their impossible, borderline eldritch physiology makes them simultaneously the perfect bioweapon and a cheap source of clean energy.
    Spoiler: Metrod Dread
    Show
    It's legitimately shocking that there's only the one Metroid in Dread... And you never fight it.
    Spoiler: DREAD
    Show
    Unless you have difficulties with the controls, of course

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Revival Series Daleks. To my knowledge Classic Series Daleks came back from the dead twice. The first time was in their second serial, with the proposed idea being that 'this is an earlier point in time' (which Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks basically confirms) the second time was a story involving the Daleks using time travel (and was supposed to reveal that in the end, they just overcame the events meant to have led to their extinction). Genesis doesn't count, it has a Dalek specifically noting that they'll recover.

As a side note, it's interesting how Dalek time tracrl technology varies throughout the series. 60s Daleks can build pseudoTARDISes, while 70s and 80s Daleks are restricted to time corridors, Time War Daleks seen to have learnt how to rig hyperdrives to jump into the Vortex for a short and and have a similar system built into some casing, and I'm not quite certain if post-Tine War Daleks are confirmed to still have any of their time travel tech (although I suspect at least done vortex-capable ships survived, just so Victory of the Daleks makes chronological sense).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #495

As a side note, it's interesting how Dalek time tracrl technology varies throughout the series. 60s Daleks can build pseudoTARDISes, while 70s and 80s Daleks are restricted to time corridors, Time War Daleks seen to have learnt how to rig hyperdrives to jump into the Vortex for a short and and have a similar system built into some casing, and I'm not quite certain if post-Tine War Daleks are confirmed to still have any of their time travel tech (although I suspect at least done vortex-capable ships survived, just so Victory of the Daleks makes chronological sense).
    As I recall from one serial, the Cybus Cybermen were able to travel back in time to Victorian London becuase of tech they looted from Post Time War Daleks.

...so are we meant to assume that the Cybus Cybermen were assimilated into Mondasins a somepoint?

Like, I recall that towards the end of the 12 era it was established that all of the contradictory origins of the Cybermen in the classic series were handwaved away with "oh, use fo crude cybernetics as a life-prolonging measure coupled with some influential sociopath getting the bright idea to suppress the cyborg's emotions instead of dealing with the agonizing pain of the procedure is a recurring motif across the history of the universe, it always ends up the same way, and they always end up encountering each other and being smooshed together" but the Cybermen showing up with the Cybus designs but being implied to be Mondassians had been a thing for years by then.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

As I recall from one serial, the Cybus Cybermen were able to travel back in time to Victorian London becuase of tech they looted from Post Time War Daleks.
    And I care so little about NuWho I couldn't be burgers to look it up, or even what kinds of time travel they use.

...so are we meant to assume that the Cybus Cybermen were assimilated into Mondasins a somepoint?

Like, I recall that towards the end of the 12 era it was established that all of the contradictory origins of the Cybermen in the classic series were handwaved away with "oh, use fo crude cybernetics as a life-prolonging measure coupled with some influential sociopath getting the bright idea to suppress the cyborg's emotions instead of dealing with the agonizing pain of the procedure is a recurring motif across the history of the universe, it always ends up the same way, and they always end up encountering each other and being smooshed together" but the Cybermen showing up with the Cybus designs but being implied to be Mondassians had been a thing for years by then.
    To be fair, I believe that the Telosian Cybermen are the Mondasian Cybermen, but a splinter faction.

But yes, I believe that the Cybus Cybermen being integrated is canon. Although the designs used in the series were more for budget reasons, why make a new suit when they can just replace the logo?

Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Eh

Meming aside, Inquisitors can still be reprimanded for being trigger happy with their Exterminatus calls. (see Kryptman, a guy banished from the Inquisition for being *too cruel*)

Also, how many planets has Samus actually destroyed?
    It's hard to forgive those who have wronged you but every moment you don't is another they have hurt you.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Discord: HalfTangible#7505

Extended Sig

Kalani the Heartbinder in Pan-aeons [God Game]

18. - Top - End - #498

Eh

Meming aside, Inquisitors can still be reprimanded for being trigger happy with their Exterminatus calls. (see Kryptman, a guy banished from the Inquisition for being *too cruel*)

I posted an entire thing about this! Y'all gotta pay attention sometimes

I do love Metroid Dread, by the way... even if my personal experience it was coincidentally rather bad.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-10-13 at 03:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Eh

That was actually my point, I believe that the average inquisitor never actually orders it. People tend to blow planet destruction of of proportion.

Like, Tarquin blows up one planet and suddenly it's all he's remembered for...

Show

20. - Top - End - #500
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That was actually my point, I believe that the average inquisitor never actually orders it. People tend to blow planet destruction of of proportion.

Like, Tarquin blows up one planet and suddenly it's all he's remembered for...
    Tarquin couldn't even conquer a continent. Tarkin, however, controlled a vast expanse of the galaxy.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Tarquin couldn't even conquer a continent. Tarkin, however, controlled a vast expanse of the galaxy.
    You're assuming I'm tallying about Star Wars I mean, I was, but I had a Wookie Moment.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-10-13 at 04:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

You're assuming I'm tallying about Star Wars I mean, I was, but I had a Wookie Moment.
    Wookiee. 2 E's.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wookiee. 2 E's.
    Wookie moment: the tone where you misspell a Star Wars name

Now to just update Urban Dictionary.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-10-13 at 05:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Did someone say cookie?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

25. - Top - End - #505

I posted an entire thing about this! Y'all gotta pay attention sometimes

I do love Metroid Dread, by the way... even if my personal experience it was coincidentally rather bad.
    It isn't what predicted, but still manages to be everything I could possibly want in a Metroid game post fusion.

Also "your body got kind of messed up. You still have all your powers but your reflexes can't use them so you're gonna have to absorb tech with similar properties to relearn it" is a novel way of handling the "bag od spilling" trope that makes sense in the context of Fusion.

And of course...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Samus's hybrid physiology goes even further beyond due to a combination of sci-fi bullcrap about her Metroid DNA instinctively hating that one species of Chozo and her being put under a hell of a lot of stress culminating in her fully fusion with her armor and essentially becoming a humanoid Metroid herself.

It's ambiguous if she's still a Metroid after being stabilized by absorbing Quiet Robe X or if taking in his DNA and power to control the metroids just gave her the power t control her own metroid power and shift back into human form, but the simple fact that Samus was the ultimate Metroid once opens up possibilities for future titles.

The "Samus and the Metroids" storyline is over, but we've explicitly been told that this is not the last Samus story.

Also, can we talk about how there are multiple subspecies of Chozo divided into tribes? If there's one population that was separate from the main group that took Samus in and created the metroids, could there be others hidden away on other planets?

Or how there's a detailed cinematic for if you sequence break to get the morph ball and bombs before fighting Kraid? They knew people would try to sequence break so they leaned into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Did someone say cookie?
    No no no. they said Kwookie.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Okay so in Samus's DEFENSE.

Zebes was destroyed in Super Metroid by Mother Brain activating self destruct. Not her FAULT.

Prime 2 has her destroy Dark Aether, which is an extradimensional space that included a planet, but also this NEEDED to happen lest OUR world be destroyed, so this is not like, beyond her call to make.

Prime 3 involves the destruction of Phaze, a living being that is planet sized that was corrupting the galaxy. This isn't planet destruction it's murder of a planet sized thing.

Fusion has her intentionally crash a space station into a planet, destroying both. It destroyed the X, which are highly infectious and would have eradicated all known life. Her fault on purpose, but NOT unnecessary.

Dread... I don't... actually know WHY the planet explodes in Dread? It comes out of nowhere honestly. Still not her fault.

So yeah I'd say she has a better record.
    I've checked, most of the Inquisitor blurbs on a wh40k wiki don't mention their exterminatuses but there is at least one other Inquisitor than Kryptman that has a higher planet count than Samus:
    Emil Darkhammer. ordered the exterminatus of over 30 worlds. he is still an inquisitor, but a polarizing one with Inquisitors being divided over whether he is a beacon of light or only slightly less destruction than a Daemon.

So....while Kryptman went too far for them, you can get pretty planet-splodey in the Inquisition and still stay in even if people are arguing about you.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere". Hate is a chain, free yourself.

27. - Top - End - #507

I've checked, most of the Inquisitor blurbs on a wh40k wiki don't mention their exterminatuses but there is at least one other Inquisitor than Kryptman that has a higher planet count than Samus:
    Emil Darkhammer. ordered the exterminatus of over 30 worlds. he is still an inquisitor, but a polarizing one with Inquisitors being divided over whether he is a beacon of light or only slightly less destruction than a Daemon.

So....while Kryptman went too far for them, you can get pretty planet-splodey in the Inquisition and still stay in even if people are arguing about you.
    But have any of them committed five exterminatuses in fourish years? At least two of which were before they would be old enough to legally buy alcohol in the United States?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-10-14 at 12:12 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

I doubt Samus can be a worse person than a group whose official policy is "kill every living thing that isn't human (and about half of those that are) as painfully as you can because they're all 'evil'"

EDIT:
    Meming aside, Inquisitors can still be reprimanded for being trigger happy with their Exterminatus calls.
    That doesn't make sense. Isn't "being trigger happy" their job?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-10-14 at 12:51 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

Most pronouns are fine for me. Just don't try to mix them.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    EDIT: That doesn't make sense. Isn't "being trigger happy" their job?
    Of course not. They also need to face the right direction, otherwise they're heretics.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

But have any of them committed five exterminatuses in fourish years? At least two of which were before they would be old enough to legally buy alcohol in the United States?
    Probably not.

But they grew up in WH40k.

Which means they were either raised in fascist school Schola Progenium, grew in a hive gang and thus probably learned to kill a man as an initiation ceremony until they work their way to having the restraint to torture people for extortion money instead, or grew up on a normal imperium agri-world which is bad enough because they'd get the game of thrones peasant experience until they drafted into the army or invaded then drafted into the army, or a shrine world where the local religion probably really is an evil brainwashing cult who wants to stamp out all individuality in for the glory of their God-Emperor, or a Forge World where one wrong move gets you turned into a robot that uses your brain as a hard drive, or grew up a noble, or.....well you get the idea.

destroying a planet is not really necessary for anyone in 40k to be a bad person or even to carry out a genocide there, its more like a rare evilness privilege most aren't lucky enough to be on the firing end of the trigger, obtained at the end of a long journey of horrible things they have already done. Its a measure of how well off you are. sure the Imperium likes to say it only does it when absolutely necessary, but the Imperium is corrupt from like top to bottom, incredibly paranoid, dogmatic and fighting an eternal war against anything that isn't itself. what is "necessary" can be bent, abused and twisted and broken and probably already has been by someone, somewhere. They might not even be punished for it, but rewarded.

like if we're to trust Zodi, Samus can only be blamed for two planets being destroyed, I wouldn't be surprised if the average Inquisitor was responsible for at least three Exterminatii, There are 34 canonical Inquisitors I know of my by count, and the Milky Way Galaxy has like, estimated 100 billion planets. the Imperium is claimed to consist of at least 1,000,000 (1 million) settled worlds. if all the Inquisitors that I know of canonically exist each blew up three planets, you'd have 102 planets lost, which is like, less than one percent in terms of how much the Imperium controls. there are probably more Inquisitors sure, but not enough to meaningfully change the numbers. if the Imperium wanted to, they could throw away a planet or two and go colonize a few others with Rogue Traders from overpopulated hive worlds. there are more than enough planets for them to do that.

(well that is named Inquisitors, there are claimed to be "thousands" of Inquisitors, so if a few thousand Inquisitors each killed three planets, you'd have anywhere from 3000-27,000 planets destroyed? but that would still at most be 2.7% of the Imperium exterminatus'd and not occurring all at once.)
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-10-14 at 04:08 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere". Hate is a chain, free yourself.