New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    This is a reference to something but I'm not sure what.
    A shockingly accurate portrayal of the US judicial system.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    but it was the only one I found on the motherboard that fit the cable (which I know is the right one).
    Just one? A motherboard with only a single SATA connection sounds most unlikely...

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Just one? A motherboard with only a single SATA connection sounds most unlikely...
    Two, although I'll have another look when I get home from work. I've double checked what they should look like, but it was very late last night.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-10-04 at 03:33 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274

BlackDragon

Two is more reasonable, although it still suggsts the thing is a little chronologically challenged (e.g. old)!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Two is more reasonable, although it still suggsts the thing is a little chronologically challenged (e.g. old)!
    About a decade old I think, the plan is to upgrade the motherboard when I have monies (and the CPU after that). The graphics card is a 1050ti, which is why I'm more than happy to upgrade everything else if required (because getting the entire rest of the computer would probably cost less than just the graphics card).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

About a decade old I think, the plan is to upgrade the motherboard when I have monies (and the CPU after that). The graphics card is a 1050ti, which is why I'm more than happy to upgrade everything else if required (because getting the entire rest of the computer would probably cost less than just the graphics card).
    Hanging is too good for crypto-currency miners.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-10-04 at 11:09 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #277

So we picked up a mild but tangy honey mustard sauce that I like but that we can't always get. It's a mti purpose sauce used as topping, dressing, or a spread, so for a bit of an experiment I used it in place of dijon for one of my attempts at grilled cheese.

Standard presliced hit bread and two slices of colby jack, using soybean oil becuase we're out of our olive oil cooking spray.

Results: Pretty standard. I can smell the honey mustard but I can't really taste it. Managed to get the cheese melted to the comes apart in strings" stage though.

My thoughts on using oil to make grilled cheese have changed over time. At first I liked it better than butter becuase it resulted in a more even toasting, but ever since I started using Olive Oil spray I really notice how greasy it makes the sandwich feel in your mouth. Also, while it results in the most even toasting I've seen, since even a thin layer of oil in the pan heats up fast, it can be difficult to get the sdes balanced: right now I've got a sandwich where one side is a delicious golden brown and the other side is white bread that looks like pumpernickel. It is as dark as I think it gets before it counts as burned. It doesn't taste burned, but you know...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Bah, you Americans could do with some proper English mustard. Perfect for sandwiches, roasts, marinades, and even improves a hot dog!

On the other hand we Sharma cut the hour dog bun incorrectly.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

The universe does not want me to take this exam. Every computer I try has technical difficulties, and the nearby testing center is only open Monday and Wednesday until a little after 12 noon.

Just gonna move on. I have until April to take it again, and moving on will help me keep pace mentally.

Applying for more jobs tonight. I'm about in the mindset of "Any place is better."

There's a few places I'm qualified for, it looks like.

10. - Top - End - #280

Bah, you Americans could do with some proper English mustard. Perfect for sandwiches, roasts, marinades, and even improves a hot dog!
    But Anonymouswizard, I can't eat English food. My countless Irish and Scottish ancestors will stop fighting amongst themselves to punish me for it. Have you ever been haunted by two different armies of Ghost Celts? It's not nice.

Was brought up thinking I was majorly Irish on both sides of the family. Then my mom started trying to compose a family tree and family history and a decade and a half of that later, I'm still mostly Irish on dad's side but it turns out most of Mom's ancestors are Scots with only a handful of Irish.
    On the other hand we Sharma cut the hour dog bun incorrectly.
    That's not a problem for me, becuase hotdogs are the work of The One Below All.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

But Anonymouswizard, I can't eat English food. My countless Irish and Scottish ancestors will stop fighting amongst themselves to punish me for it. Have you ever been haunted by two different armies of Ghost Celts? It's not nice.

Was brought up thinking I was majorly Irish on both sides of the family. Then my mom started trying to compose a family tree and family history and a decade and a half of that later, I'm still mostly Irish on dad's side but it turns out most of Mom's ancestors are Scots with only a handful of Irish.
    No roast dinner for you at the holidays then!

Trust me, most Irish people at least, won't care. The cores of most varieties of British cuisine are the same, the variety comes from what additions your post of the Isles could add.

I have no desire to find out where I come from. Recent family is pretty much all English and Irish, but I suspect go back a few hundred years and I've got ancestors in half of Europe (as well as relatives).

Show

12. - Top - End - #282

No roast dinner for you at the holidays then!

Trust me, most Irish people at least, won't care. The cores of most varieties of British cuisine are the same, the variety comes from what additions your post of the Isles could add.

I have no desire to find out where I come from. Recent family is pretty much all English and Irish, but I suspect go back a few hundred years and I've got ancestors in half of Europe (as well as relatives).
    I mean, if you go back far enough everyone is related. I think I recall reading once that, genetically speaking, everyone if 53rd cousins with everyone that they're not more closely related to.

If you go back 10,000 years everyone who was alive then either has no living descendants or literally everyone is their descendant except maybe some of those isolated tribes that stay in a single area and have virtually no contact with the outside world.

At least one universal common ancestor for sure existed 5000 years ago, who was most likely an average, normal person with the average number of sexual partners and average number of children for the time and place they lived in.

A universal common ancestor theoretically could have existed as recently as 2000 years ago.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Most people on this forum are probably descended from Charlemagne too.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean, if you go back far enough everyone is related. I think I recall reading once that, genetically speaking, everyone if 53rd cousins with everyone that they're not more closely related to.

If you go back 10,000 years everyone who was alive then either has no living descendants or literally everyone is their descendant except maybe some of those isolated tribes that stay in a single area and have virtually no contact with the outside world.

At least one universal common ancestor for sure existed 5000 years ago, who was most likely an average, normal person with the average number of sexual partners and average number of children for the time and place they lived in.

A universal common ancestor theoretically could have existed as recently as 2000 years ago.
    Where are you getting these dates from?

The major continental migrations are much older then that. Aboriginal people of Australia reached there 40,000 years ago, and native Americans reached the Americas between 20,000 and 10,000 years ago. The only possible way for them to have a common ancestor closer then 10,000 years ago is if a Polynesian group married into Australian Aborigines and then landed in one of the two American Polynesian landing spots, which would have occurred around 1500AD at the earliest or with modern population movements.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Applying for more jobs tonight. I'm about in the mindset of "Any place is better."

There's a few places I'm qualified for, it looks like.
    I can commiserate. I was removed from the training program for the DC job due to not being medically cleared for duty after some emotional issues cropped up. I was both devastated (this would have been a huge upward mobility step for me and without it we don't know what we're going to do), but also relieved (all I wanted in life near the end was to be able to go back to my wife, who I wouldn't have been able to see until the new year). I'm scrambling trying to find something else, but seriously considering training myself to try to get back into the program - the way it was written up, I should be able to try again without needing to reapply and jump through the year's worth of hoops, so long as the original offer hasn't passed the expiration date. I'm more than a little traumatized by it but it was a lifechanging opportunity for my family, not to mention me, but I'm significantly more trepidatious about going back through.

On a related note, Rater, I would now change my answer about taking that Captain America serum.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    The universe does not want me to take this exam. Every computer I try has technical difficulties, and the nearby testing center is only open Monday and Wednesday until a little after 12 noon.

Just gonna move on. I have until April to take it again, and moving on will help me keep pace mentally.
    You'll likely have to revisit the material again thoroughly by then, though. You really have been exceptionally unlucky with this particular exam. Damn.

*gasp* My long lost distant cousin! Finally, we are reunited! Let us feast to commemorate this joyous occasion!

Clearly, we must now do this every time someone new posts in this thread. And then feast. Feasting is important.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    You'll likely have to revisit the material again thoroughly by then, though. You really have been exceptionally unlucky with this particular exam. Damn.

*gasp* My long lost distant cousin! Finally, we are reunited! Let us feast to commemorate this joyous occasion!

Clearly, we must now do this every time someone new posts in this thread. And then feast. Feasting is important.
    Also any bacteria posting here since we are all descended from a single organism. Grandteria Josephine smiles upon us all.

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I can commiserate. I was removed from the training program for the DC job due to not being medically cleared for duty after some emotional issues cropped up. I was both devastated (this would have been a huge upward mobility step for me and without it we don't know what we're going to do), but also relieved (all I wanted in life near the end was to be able to go back to my wife, who I wouldn't have been able to see until the new year). I'm scrambling trying to find something else, but seriously considering training myself to try to get back into the program - the way it was written up, I should be able to try again without needing to reapply and jump through the year's worth of hoops, so long as the original offer hasn't passed the expiration date. I'm more than a little traumatized by it but it was a lifechanging opportunity for my family, not to mention me, but I'm significantly more trepidatious about going back through.
    Hold on.... this was the job you were recently so excited about? I, erhm, think I missed this development. I'm really sorry to hear that. At least the family all stays together now, but I can imagine this still feels like a lost opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Also any bacteria posting here since we are all descended from a single organism. Grandteria Josephine smiles upon us all.
    We are truly blessed with such an extended family.

19. - Top - End - #289

Hold on.... this was the job you were recently so excited about? I, erhm, think I missed this development. I'm really sorry to hear that. At least the family all stays together now, but I can imagine this still feels like a lost opportunity.
    Yes. It is a huge lost opportunity. Again, the door hasn't completely closed and I can go back, but dang, do I need to be in better shape and a better headspace and more prepared before I think I should (if I do).

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Most people on this forum are probably descended from Charlemagne too.
    Sadly I believe recent issues of illegitimate mean that, even if 745,495,683 Europeans died before me I still wouldn't inherit the empire.

Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes. It is a huge lost opportunity. Again, the door hasn't completely closed and I can go back, but dang, do I need to be in better shape and a better headspace and more prepared before I think I should (if I do).
    I'm sorry to hear that Peelee, I hope that things work out for you.

22. - Top - End - #292

You got in before, so you can definitely do it again if you're so inclined. Do you at least have some time to figure out where to go from here? It's not like you have to decide anything within mere days, right?

Sadly I believe recent issues of illegitimate mean that, even if 745,495,683 Europeans died before me I still wouldn't inherit the empire.
    Ah, but these entirely legitimate and totally not forged documents clearly support my claim to the throne! That's... a lot of competing princes, though.

But if I strike first and hard enough, it can all be mine!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, but these entirely legitimate and totally not forged documents clearly support my claim to the throne! That's... a lot of competing princes, though.

But if I strike first and hard enough, it can all be mine!
    Sadly princess #365,616,119 has been bombarding the claims office with 'evidence' that I'm not related to his wife, but only the scullery maids.

Show

24. - Top - End - #294

You got in before, so you can definitely do it again if you're so inclined. Do you at least have some time to figure out where to go from here? It's not like you have to decide anything within mere days, right?
    I have the better part of a year before the offer expires.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

On a related note, Rater, I would now change my answer about taking that Captain America serum.
    Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you find a way to make it work for you. And that your emotional thing ended well.
    I think you'd have a better shot if you redtrained yourself to the tthrone of West Francia.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-10-04 at 03:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you find a way to make it work for you. And that your emotional thing ended well.

I think you'd have a better shot if you redtrained yourself to the tthrone of West Francia.
    But all of the money is in Lothangria.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Nope. You need to go back longer ago than that.

https://science.slashdot.org/story/2...n-the-americas

The world is fricking huge, at at walking speed it takes a really long time to travel around it.

Oops, I didn't notice all the posts below the one I was replying to.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-10-04 at 04:31 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Nope. You need to go back longer ago than that.

https://science.slashdot.org/story/2...n-the-americas

The world is fricking huge, at at walking speed it takes a really long time to travel around it.
    For what it's worth, wikipedia backs Rater.

Also, I don't remember where I read that, but weren't there some contact between Native South Americans and people living in the pacific while the Americas were "undiscovered"?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

It's community updated, we we need to do is pay a bunch of drama graduates to watch the page in shifts and keep the numbers changed.

Show

30. - Top - End - #300

Also, I don't remember where I read that, but weren't there some contact between Native South Americans and people living in the pacific while the Americas were "undiscovered"?
    Yes.

There's a surprising amount of intercontinental travel that occurred before people are taught that it "officially" happened.

The Welsh, for example, led an expedition to the New World about 300 years before Columbus landed in the Caribbean. There are Fortresses of Welsh Make in Georgia and Tenessee with evidence that there used to be more throughout Appalachia, and stepping very lightly, the Cherokee have stories that describe what may be mythologized encounters with said Welshmen.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks