New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

I've edited my most recent post with context from later in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would just like to say that that game apparently had terrible mechanics, if those are the options.
    Yeah. That was what prompted the conversation.

Lanipator expressed frustration with the crappy flight mechanics by asking, rhetorically, who would want that kind of flight power... And then Grant/MasterWuggles points out that while it's a lame power it's a power that he doesn't have and that tit's at least situationally useful.

Which then leads to Lanipator makng up the TK power as an alternative and present it as a binary choice.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I've edited my most recent post with context from later in the video.

Yeah. That was what prompted the conversation.

Lanipator expressed frustration with the crappy flight mechanics by asking, rhetorically, who would want that kind of flight power... And then Grant/MasterWuggles points out that while it's a lame power it's a power that he doesn't have and that tit's at least situationally useful.

Which then leads to Lanipator makng up the TK power as an alternative and present it as a binary choice.
    The thing is, while the flight would be cool to have if it was the only option the TK just blows it out of the water for me. Because of the 'makes my everyday life better' aspects. None of the limits even affect the reasons why I'd be taking it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    The thing is, while the flight would be cool to have if it was the only option the TK just blows it out of the water for me. Because of the 'makes my everyday life better' aspects. None of the limits even affect the reasons why I'd be taking it.
    Yeah, that was basically what they concluded. Just more useful on a daily basis.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Btw, fun day! I got sworn in and have a fancy access card and got a lot of info and in a couple years or so I can choose to specialize in something! Man, I'm really feeling like a D&D wizard right now. What to specialize as is one heck of a thinker.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35

What to specialize as is one heck of a thinker.
    My inner edgelord says necromancy, my inner pyromaniac says evocation.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Btw, fun day! I got sworn in and have a fancy access card and got a lot of info and in a couple years or so I can choose to specialize in something! Man, I'm really feeling like a D&D wizard right now. What to specialize as is one heck of a thinker.
    The guides all suggest Conjuration or Transmutation, but they're a couple of editions our of date.

Side note, I'm sick of hearing 'just watch somebody else play it' every time I suggest games should be accessible for people with dyspraxia. It happens with Dark Souls, it happens with Undertale, I'm just tired of hearing it. Can somebody please explain to these people that the point of a game is to play it, so watching a game I can't play doesn't actually since the issue.

Also I literally can't remember if Undertale has an easy mode.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Clearly divination. So you can ask the question of what to specialize in.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

My inner edgelord says necromancy
    I got nothin'.
    my inner pyromaniac says evocation.
    Ah, overwhelming firepower!
    The guides all suggest Conjuration or transmutation
    Quartermaster for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Clearly divination.
    Surveillance/intelligence, you say?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What school of magic would allow you to fly 15 body lengths in a cardinal direction a few feet off the ground? Don’t do that one.

10. - Top - End - #40

A comment Zodi made in one of her let's play threads has given me the mental image of curing my achy bones by channeling the raw power of elemental earth into them.

They can't break down under where and tear if they're made of alternating layers of granite.
    See you think I'm joking but bones are made of calcium and calcium is a mineral. Bones are just living rocks that bleed. Bones are, in as much a sense as they can be, an organ that creates blood. It's what bone marrow is. They're just in-rocks that bleed!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    See you think I'm joking but bones are made of calcium and calcium is a mineral. Bones are just living rocks that bleed. Bones are, in as much a sense as they can be, an organ that creates blood. It's what bone marrow is. They're just in-rocks that bleed!
    Ice is also a mineral, and around 70% of the Earth's surface is covered in lava.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #42

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Ice is also a mineral, and around 70% of the Earth's surface is covered in lava.
    Uh? Gonna need a [citation needed] on that one. I don't think even 70% of La Palma's surface is covered in lava, and that's currently undergoing an active volcanic eruption!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Uh? Gonna need a [citation needed] on that one. I don't think even 70% of La Palma's surface is covered in lava, and that's currently undergoing an active volcanic eruption!
    In so far as ice is a rock, then water is lava.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    In so far as ice is a rock, then water is lava.
    That is what I meant, yes.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lava is liquid, my blood is liquid. Lava is red, my blood is red. Therefore, my blood is lava. QED.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh. I'd suggest the Occultism & Statistics.

Which is basically the same.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Actually, I wasn't thinking you were joking.

You just reminded me of a concept I think is neat.

My first introduction to the concept was finding out about Pretisque Race in D&D 3.5. A concept wherein you take a "sculpt self" feat and could then pay XP to augment yourself on a conceptual level along specific paths. There was one for each element, as well as a clockwork cyborg one and a "sacred" one.

My only problem with it was... Well, for one, paying XP for stuff is always a bad choice, and that some of the paths were arbitrarily shorter than others.

And also the wind path was incompatible with the Earth path and the Water Path was incompatible with the fire and earth paths. So you could be wind and water, wind and fire, or earth and fire but you couldn't be Captain Planet.

Would have been nice if the fluff and the mechanics had matched up. With the "Mineral Patch" by the time you've taken all four levels your body is a solid mass of adamantine and you'd think that that would be worth more than a paltry +4 natural armor. There's some other stuff, but come on. You ant tell me that I'm literally made of the most durable metal in the core game, a metal so hard that armor of it innately gives damage reduction, and weapons made of it ignore the hardness of other materials, from the surface of my skin to the core of my bones and expect me o believe that that's only worth for points of natural armor.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #48

Actually, I wasn't thinking you were joking.

You just reminded me of a concept I think is neat.

My first introduction to the concept was finding out about Pretisque Race in D&D 3.5. A concept wherein you take a "sculpt self" feat and could then pay XP to augment yourself on a conceptual level along specific paths. There was one for each element, as well as a clockwork cyborg one and a "sacred" one.

My only problem with it was... Well, for one, paying XP for stuff is always a bad choice, and that some of the paths were arbitrarily shorter than others.

And also the wind path was incompatible with the Earth path and the Water Path was incompatible with the fire and earth paths. So you could be wind and water, wind and fire, or earth and fire but you couldn't be Captain Planet.

Would have been nice if the fluff and the mechanics had matched up. With the "Mineral Patch" by the time you've taken all four levels your body is a solid mass of adamantine and you'd think that that would be worth more than a paltry +4 natural armor. There's some other stuff, but come on. You ant tell me that I'm literally made of the most durable metal in the core game, a metal so hard that armor of it innately gives damage reduction, and weapons made of it ignore the hardness of other materials, from the surface of my skin to the core of my bones and expect me o believe that that's only worth for points of natural armor.
    That kind of self-modification is cool. Maybe they wanted to prevent players from buying permanent upgrades to their character (in addition to just equipment) via stuff that's easily replaced, like gold, on top of levelling up. It might work better if it's integrated into levelling up instead of having what sounds like essentially an extra path parallel to levelling.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    That kind of self-modification is cool. Maybe they wanted to prevent players from buying permanent upgrades to their character (in addition to just equipment) via stuff that's easily replaced, like gold, on top of levelling up. It might work better if it's integrated into levelling up instead of having what sounds like essentially an extra path parallel to levelling.
    It's presented like creating your own magic items, except without the gold price. Some alternatives to XP would be better becuase paying XP is almost never worth it.

The dragon magazine article they're originally from also suggests that it might be possible to "harvest" them from a defeated enemy.

But my problem is mostly that the fluff doesn't match the effects.

Like, a set of Masterwork Adamantine Full plate gives a +9 armor bonus and Dr 3/—. But according to this mechanic having all of your flesh being a solid sheet of adamantine is only worth +4 natural armor. I'm sorry, but I think that several inches of solid metal should be more durable than 1-3 millimeters of th same in various plates riveted together with assorted structural weak points. I mean, even accounting for the fact that it's your flesh and therefore damage to it as damage to you there should at least be some DR.

And "cast meld into stone once a day as a character like thirteen levels lower than where it seems you're intended to have this ability" does not equal "the earth welcomes you always without any barriers between you."

It's presented as some epic transcendental transformation that you assume in stages but the end result is really underwhelming.

Concept cool, execution leaves much to be desired.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

It's presented like creating your own magic items, except without the gold price. Some alternatives to XP would be better becuase paying XP is almost never worth it.
    One-time payments of XP are tolerable, if slightly weird; you'll get most of the XP back eventually (assuming your DM is using 3.5 "everyone gets XP based on their personal ECL" instead of 3.0 "everyone gets XP based on the the average party level"). It's the perpetual drains, like levels that aren't worth their weight (all the way down to level adjustments that aren't worth anything), that are almost never worth it....Which, incidentally, is probably why LA buyoff is so popular; converting the latter into the former.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

21. - Top - End - #51

BlackDragon

Like, a set of Masterwork Adamantine Full plate gives a +9 armor bonus and Dr 3/—. But according to this mechanic having all of your flesh being a solid sheet of adamantine is only worth +4 natural armor. I'm sorry, but I think that several inches of solid metal should be more durable than 1-3 millimeters of th same in various plates riveted together with assorted structural weak points.
    The thing is, though, your flesh can't possibly be completely solid adamantium, because then you wouldn't be able to move! Either there have to be joints in the protection, just as with normal armour, or the flesh variant can't be as rigid (and thus not as protective) as regular adamantium. Either would be an adequate explanation for the numbers given.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's presented as some epic transcendental transformation that you assume in stages but the end result is really underwhelming.

Concept cool, execution leaves much to be desired.
    Eh, if you don't like that, you can always take the green star adept route instead!
    (Which, on second thought, is actually something I could see you go for. Hm.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-09-21 at 12:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

The thing is, though, your flesh can't possibly be completely solid adamantium, because then you wouldn't be able to move! Either there have to be joints in the protection, just as with normal armour, or the flesh variant can't be as rigid (and thus not as protective) as regular adamantium. Either would be an adequate explanation for the numbers given.
    It explicitly says you're solid adamantine, so... The answer is magic.

Also, the Green Star Adept Class grants a similar effect, with a metal that is mechanically similar to adamantine but with additional effects, and grants, among othe things, +6 natural armor and Dr/10 Adamantine.

And you're not solid metal as a green star adept. You're just heavily infused with it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    One-time payments of XP are tolerable, if slightly weird; you'll get most of the XP back eventually (assuming your DM is using 3.5 "everyone gets XP based on their personal ECL" instead of 3.0 "everyone gets XP based on the the average party level"). It's the perpetual drains, like levels that aren't worth their weight (all the way down to level adjustments that aren't worth anything), that are almost never worth it....Which, incidentally, is probably why LA buyoff is so popular; converting the latter into the former.
    I've started to wonder if the 3.X advice that XP costs hurt more than GP costs is actually true. As you say, if you spend XP you'll essentially get more to 'catch you up'. Meanwhile spending gold on consumables doesn't make the rules tell the GM to give you more to catch you up (although I believe there is some extra in standard generated treasure for consumables).

Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Eh, if you don't like that, you can always take the green star adept route instead!
    (Which, on second thought, is actually something I could see you go for. Hm.)
    Completly honest, even if the let down of the mechanic effects I'd still prefer prestige race Mineral Path over Green Star Adept.

Green Star Adept i more of an investment and requires you to actually have star metal to consume.

Like, given the choice I'd prefer internal alchemy(making sure that certain concepts or intangible energies are refined and balanced within yourself) vs traditional alchemy. Internal alchemy you screw up and you make no progress. traditional alchemy you screw up nd you get heavy metal poisoning. Green Star Adept is traditional alchemy.

If we're going with a transcendental prestige class I'd go with Elemental Savant just becuase you actually transform into what it says you do. Whatever elemental you pick, you get all those powers. All the benefits, none of the drawbacks.

Though in that case, I'd prefer wind over earth. Being able to fly, strike down my enemies with blasts of lightning, and transform into a whirlwind appeals to me more than burrowing through the ground and melting people with acid.
    I've started to wonder if the 3.X advice that XP costs hurt more than GP costs is actually true. As you say, if you spend XP you'll essentially get more to 'catch you up'. Meanwhile spending gold on consumables doesn't make the rules tell the GM to give you more to catch you up (although I believe there is some extra in standard generated treasure for consumables).
    Consumable items are a standard part of both loot and anything you'd find in a shop. XP penalties only come from making your own magic items and casting certain spells that have been arbitrarily judged to be too powerful even though things like Wish or Miracle have other built-in drawbacks.

Likewise with costly material components. The game is built around spending gold to pay for temporary benefits.

XP penalties are effectively punishing you for not being content with the standard races or what the random treasure chart elects to give you.

Also, it assumes the GM is willing to go to the effort of calculating separate XP.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

Completly honest, even if the let down of the mechanic effects I'd still prefer prestige race Mineral Path over Green Star Adept.

Green Star Adept i more of an investment and requires you to actually have star metal to consume.
    That's mostly just a money issue. (Also, elemental savant also requires magic and (non-physical) stuff.)

you screw up nd you get heavy metal poisoning. Green Star Adept is traditional alchemy.
    I'm not sure there are rules for getting heavy metal poisoning from consuming star metal. It sure doesn't sound tasty, though.

strike down my enemies with blasts of lightning
    I personally prefer not having enemies that need to be struck down, but hey.

Anyhow, it's your fantasies. If you are happy with elemental savant (but not with green star adept), I suppose I'll just be happy that you are happy.

27. - Top - End - #57

Isn't the same true of XP, though? There's nothing that forces a GM to give XP to their players. Official games are a different story, but in principle items, currency and XP rewards are up to the whims of your GM.

28. - Top - End - #58

BlackDragon

It explicitly says you're solid adamantine, so... The answer is magic.
    If it's just magic then why bother with the adamantium at all? Just have a magic force field that blocks damage. Similar to the character "Golden Boy" from the "Wild Cards" novels, who has a biological force field that makes him effectively invulnerable to things like guns, knives etc., although it's suggested it wouldn't protect him against a long fall. (It's a bit inconsistent there, mind you, because he gets hit by a speeding car at one point and thrown some distance down the road, but suffers no damage from that).

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Anyhow, it's your fantasies. If you are happy with elemental savant (but not with green star adept), I suppose I'll just be happy that you are happy.
    I spent eight years earning degrees in history and sociology.

You learn something about human nature doing that. Why people act the way they do, in general, in specific circumstances.

If you have power, you have enemies. There will be people who fear your power, people who want to use your power, and people who think you having power means they themselves have less power.

In the case of an elemental savant... Well, I prefer spontaneous casting so by the time I'd hypothetically be "transcended" I'm at least a 16th level arcane caster.

Lot of power there. My very existence would be seen as a threat by some people.

I also learned right and wrong as a kid from Spider-Man, so... You know. I'd feel morally obligated to use my vast powers to help people. Even if all of human history is wrong and my very existence doesn't earn me enemies, I'd make enemies.
    If it's just magic then why bother with the adamantium at all? Just have a magic force field that blocks damage. Similar to the character "Golden Boy" from the "Wild Cards" novels, who has a biological force field that makes him effectively invulnerable to things like guns, knives etc., although it's suggested it wouldn't protect him against a long fall. (It's a bit inconsistent there, mind you, because he gets hit by a speeding car at one point and thrown some distance down the road, but suffers no damage from that).
    Becuase at that point you're not transcending anything, you've just got a superpower.

The Preteique race thing is that you're solving taking some concept into yourself and transforming in response. The first level of the mineral path, your understanding and connection to the primal elemental force of Earth makes your bones as dense and stone and turns your flesh dark and gritty. the next level your flesh is soil, your skin is rocks and pebbles, and your blood is mud. Lext level is a skin of steal and pulsing magma for muscles.

Then Solid Adamantine.

You're basically becoming some kind of heavily refined elemental.

If it was just about power I'd skip the D&D stuff and either go with the symbiote hybrid thing or maybe the dragon ball thing that's been on my mind.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-21 at 03:07 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Isn't the same true of XP, though? There's nothing that forces a GM to give XP to their players. Official games are a different story, but in principle items, currency and XP rewards are up to the whims of your GM.
    Yes, but RAW the XP given by a monster increases as your level drops, but the treasure it gives out doesn't. Hence 'as written', any attempt to abuse such rules in game should only be rewarded with a slap to the face.

But strictly as written an XP cost is harsher than a GP cost until you're a lower level then your team, at which point it starts to create. A better balancing method would be to make other characters be able to get something mechanically useful out of downtime (rules for making contacts and seeking out rare items spring to mind) and attaching side effects to powerful spells (I'd go for levels of fatigue or the like).

Actually, I like running magical drain and mundane exhaustion off of the same fatigue track. Just kind of hard to properly balance such s thing.

Show