New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.

-- Omar N. Bradley
    I also like the one I read that said a man who feels no fear is not brave, he is a fool. I just can't remember who said it.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

2. - Top - End - #812
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The grandfather in the movie Angus had a good monologue on bravery and fear.

ETA:
    Angus: You got balls, grandpa. More than me.
    Grandpa: Superman isn't brave.
    Angus: Did you take your pills this morning?
    Grandpa: [chuckles] You don't understand. He's smart, handsome, even decent. But he's not brave. No, listen to me. Superman is indestructible, and you can't be brave if you're indestructible. It's people like you and your mother. People who are different, and can be crushed and know it. Yet they keep on going out there every time.

I liked that movie a lot. Spoke to me as the social outcast back in the day.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-25 at 03:21 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Beyond that, I find that people will forgive any flaw in a character* more easily than perceived cowardice. And I can hardly think of any work (literally, I got Silence by Scorcese and that's it) that presents a "coward" in a sympathetic light.
    Flashman in the Flashman books is a coward, he's sort of supposed to be unsympathetic, but I'm not sure he is.

There's also the factor that in the old days coward was conflated with what's now called gay, which was then so despised it was illegal.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There's also the factor that in the old days coward was conflated with what's now called gay, which was then so despised it was illegal.
    While this could be part of the issue, I know there is a long history of militaries executing "deserters" for cowardice under fire or in war time. The thinking is they put their fellow troops in more danger by not doing their duty. That context of a coward was and I propose is still very strong in many cultures. Fear should not stop you from doing your duty. Just a thought of course.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

So, I'm cosplaying Joan Lambert from Aliens for Halloween =3

I thought about getting a wig, but short wigs are annoying, and it seems like a lot of effort for just a Hallween costume, so I just tied by hair and fluffed it up a bit.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

6. - Top - End - #816

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post

I thought about getting a wig, but short wigs are annoying, and it seems like a lot of effort for just a Hallween costume, so I just tied by hair and fluffed it up a bit.
    I don't more the source material, but I know costuming. That looks badass.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Flashman in the Flashman books is a coward, he's sort of supposed to be unsympathetic, but I'm not sure he is.
    The problem there is that the Flashman books are played for laughs. If you look at the Flashman character as he first appears (in "Tom Brown's Schooldays", George McDonald Fraser nicked the character for his own purposes) then he's an absolutely horrid piece of work who manages to get expelled from school for nearly roasting another boy to death in front of an open fire.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The problem there is that the Flashman books are played for laughs. If you look at the Flashman character as he first appears (in "Tom Brown's Schooldays", George McDonald Fraser nicked the character for his own purposes) then he's an absolutely horrid piece of work who manages to get expelled from school for nearly roasting another boy to death in front of an open fire.
    To be fair, while I haven't finished it, he's not much nicer in the first book. Doesn't nearly roast anybody, but did very explicitly
    Spoiler: Trigger Warning
    Show
    unrepentantly commit rape.

I hear it's mainly in the sequels where e he stopped being a nasty piece of work.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-10-26 at 01:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Due to multiple deaths, toxicity, and drama that has been going on at Youtube, I've finally reached my breaking point that I'm taking a very long break off of Youtube.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #820
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    I also like the one I read that said a man who feels no fear is not brave, he is a fool. I just can't remember who said it.
    My favourite quote about bravery was "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."

EDIT: What? Toxicity on youtube? Deaths? What kind of videos you watch?...
    Last edited by Lacco; 2021-10-26 at 02:52 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

11. - Top - End - #821

I somehow managed to sprain my foot in my sleep the other day. It's not a super bad sprain, but there's a constant low-level ache that gets worse when I walk and I'm just kind of annoyed at how fragile the human body is.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lacco View Post
    My favourite quote about bravery was "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."

EDIT: What? Toxicity on youtube? Deaths? What kind of videos you watch?...
    Well, so many of my Youtube friends that I know passed away from health issues. The toxicity of the environment on Youtube always starts people's drama on Youtube and don't get me started on the swatting with the Youtubers. Yes is that bad on Youtube.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I somehow managed to sprain my foot in my sleep the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, so many of my Youtube friends that I know passed away from health issues.
    Oof, my condolences to you, Bartmanhomer. Stay strong.
    the swatting with the Youtubers.
    The what now?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

Due to multiple deaths, toxicity, and drama that has been going on at Youtube, I've finally reached my breaking point that I'm taking a very long break off of Youtube.
    My advice is to take at least two months off and then ask yourself if you want to go back. To be brutally honest, it doesn't seem like you have the best relationship with YouTube or the people on it, as it's not your primary source of income or might be worthwhile just finding something new.

Do keep in touch with your friends though. Friends are worth more than a site, even if you meet them via one.

So writing a D&D setting while I wait for NaNoWriMo to begin, and my first port of call was to trim the beards. I was making dwarves into a more practical people who, while on the decline, are possibly going to be around long after human empires fall due to pure stubbornness. So deserves no longer have bushy beards as a matter of course, it's to dangerous while working the forge. A long beard is instead a status symbol, saying that you don't have to do the kind of work that makes it impractical (and yes, I'm considering running with dwarven women having beards).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #825

My best guess is that I rolled into a position where my foot was at an awkward angle long enough to overstrain it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The grandfather in the movie Angus had a good monologue on bravery and fear.

ETA:
    Angus: You got balls, grandpa. More than me.
    Grandpa: Superman isn't brave.
    Angus: Did you take your pills this morning?
    Grandpa: [chuckles] You don't understand. He's smart, handsome, even decent. But he's not brave. No, listen to me. Superman is indestructible, and you can't be brave if you're indestructible. It's people like you and your mother. People who are different, and can be crushed and know it. Yet they keep on going out there every time.

I liked that movie a lot. Spoke to me as the social outcast back in the day.
    A short speech, but a decent one.

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post

I think a lot of people won't be able to identify the character on sight (I wasn't), but it's a nice outfit! Google tells me the character is canonically trans. I'm guessing that informed the choice of costume? A nice touch.

My Halloween 'costumes' just consist of lame excuses as to why my non-costume is my costume:

'I'm a very fresh zombie.'
    'I'm a philosophical zombie.'
    'I'm a spooky, scary skeleton, but the skeleton's on the inside.'
    'I'm a not yet deceased ghost.'
    'I'm Frankenstein on his off hours. The doctor, not the monster. No, I don't wear a lab coat when I'm off the clock.'

17. - Top - End - #827

[The what now?
    You're gonna hate that this happens so much it has a word for it. Swatting is someone (usually a minor, always someone incredibly immature) making false reports to emergency services with their intended victim's information, with the goal being to have heavily armed police prepared for the worst respond.

For example, you are playing Xbox online and suddenly a GIGN team breaks down your door and rush in, rifles up, because the 12 year old you beat half an hour ago called 112 and said you were holding people hostage and had already killed one.

18. - Top - End - #828

You're gonna hate that this happens so much it has a word for it. Swatting is someone (usually a minor, always someone incredibly immature) making false reports to emergency services with their intended victim's information, with the goal being to have heavily armed police prepared for the worst respond.

For example, you are playing Xbox online and suddenly a GIGN team breaks down your door and rush in, rifles up, because the 12 year old you beat half an hour ago called 112 and said you were holding people hostage and had already killed one.
    People have been killed becuase of pranks like these, by the way.

And there's really no way to stop it. The Police have to take every such call seriously because if they don't then real emergencies will slip through the cracks.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #830

You act like you think that deters entitled immature dumbasses.

The kind of people who do this doesn't care about that. To them, police aren't enforcers of justice or a tool of social control, they're a weapon to shove down the throat of anyone who ticks them off and they never think they'll suffer any consequence for using and abusing emergency services this way.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #831

In addition to what Rater said (all of which I agree with), it's common for minors to be the perpetrators, which means the possibility exists that their records are more or less hidden once they turn 18 (or 19 in some places). I'm no lawyer and didn't do crime as a kid so I don't know exactly how it works, not to mention that each state has its own laws and handle each occurrence on a case by case basis, but suffice it to say that kids who know (or think they know) about the possibility for a lack of severe punishment may be more emboldened.

22. - Top - End - #832

In addition to what Rater said (all of which I agree with), it's common for minors to be the perpetrators, which means the possibility exists that their records are more or less hidden once they turn 18 (or 19 in some places). I'm no lawyer and didn't do crime as a kid so I don't know exactly how it works, not to mention that each state has its own laws and handle each occurrence on a case by case basis, but suffice it to say that kids who know (or think they know) about the possibility for a lack of severe punishment may be more emboldened.
    I took a juvenile justice class as part of my soc degree.

Now, Juvenile Court Judges have an absolutely disgusting amount of leeway when it comes to determining punishment for a convicted minor, but generally speaking, unless someone is seriously injured or property damage exceeds small claims the kid will probably only get a slap on the wrist.

Varying by region, of course.

Wanna know something that really pissed me off? We watched a video about two juvenile detainees both being reviewed for parole by the same juvenile court judge.

One kid read like a budding sociopath and blamed everyone but himself for his stealing and wrecking an expensive car while crossing state lines. Judge tore his argument apart.

One kid was a teen father in for something minor who wanted to be a better father than his own disappeared parent, tried and failed multiple times to get a part-time job as part of a weekend work release program(nobody would respect the fact that he could only work part-time weekends) but had a proper job lined up guaranteed once he was paroled and had actually been up for parole a few months before but voluntarily delayed it becuase he was trying to work through his issues and he and his counselor mutually agreed that he wasn't ready for it yet. He takes full responsibility for his actions. The judge acknowledged he was trying his best.

The ****head got let out, but the kid who wanted to take responsibility was not.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #833

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    People have been killed becuase of pranks like these, by the way.

And there's really no way to stop it. The Police have to take every such call seriously because if they don't then real emergencies will slip through the cracks.
    In principle yes, but there's a difference between taking a valid report about a potentially life threatening situation seriously and barging in with guns blazing based on 1 phone call without confirmation or taking stock of the situation first.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    In principle yes, but there's a difference between taking a valid report about a potentially life threatening situation seriously and barging in with guns blazing based on 1 phone call without confirmation or taking stock of the situation first.
    If they have been informed of an actively violent threat in an area, they have to take it seriously, because the time spent on recon could be the difference between somebody living and dying.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oof, my condolences to you, Bartmanhomer. Stay strong.

The what now?
    Swatting is when the police raid in your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    My advice is to take at least two months off and then ask yourself if you want to go back. To be brutally honest, it doesn't seem like you have the best relationship with YouTube or the people on it, as it's not your primary source of income or might be worthwhile just finding something new.

Do keep in touch with your friends though. Friends are worth more than a site, even if you meet them via one.
    Thank you for the advice. I might be thinking for three months if possible.

26. - Top - End - #836

Swatting is when the police raid in your house.
    That's a bit too simplistic.
    Thank you for the advice. I might be thinking for three months if possible.
    Can I recommend that you just avoid the channels that specifically target drama? Seems like you'd be happier for longer instead of just going offline for a bit, then plunging straight back into the very things that wear you out.

27. - Top - End - #837

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If they have been informed of an actively violent threat in an area, they have to take it seriously, because the time spent on recon could be the difference between somebody living and dying.
    Even if the validity of the report is questionable? The ones processing this kind of report have a responsibility as well, as do the ones responding to it. How can you respond to a situation without at least some recon? Without knowing what you're actually dealing with? Because that gets people killed as well.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's a bit too simplistic.

Can I recommend that you just avoid the channels that specifically target drama? Seems like you'd be happier for longer instead of just going offline for a bit, then plunging straight back into the very things that wear you out.
    Yes. Exactly. Thank you Peelee.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Even if the validity of the report is questionable? The ones processing this kind of report have a responsibility as well, as do the ones responding to it. How can you respond to a situation without at least some recon? Without knowing what you're actually dealing with? Because that gets people killed as well.
    The 2017 Wichita swatting occurred on December 28, 2017, in Wichita, Kansas, United States. The incident began as an online dispute between Casey Viner and Shane Gaskill, regarding the video game Call of Duty: WWII. During the dispute, Viner threatened to have Gaskill swatted, and Gaskill responded by giving him a false address for his residence, one that was occupied by an uninvolved person, Andrew Finch. Viner then asked Tyler Barriss to make the required fraudulent call to initiate the swatting. Wichita Police responded to the address, and as Finch was exiting the house, police officer Justin Rapp fatally shot him.

Barriss pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter and many other charges from unrelated incidents he was wanted for. In March 2019, he was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison.[1] Viner was sentenced to 2 years' community service and 15 months' imprisonment for his involvement, while Gaskill was sentenced to 2 years' probation. Officer Rapp was not charged for Finch's death.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Wichita_swatting

Deaths are probably rare, I'm not sure whether there are any others.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

30. - Top - End - #840

How many times do you hear reports of "we received a call but had reason to suspect the validity, had an ample amount of time to investigate, and found it to be spurious"? I would imagine rarely to never, and not because it doesn't happen, but because they probably don't publicly report things like that.

I think what we see is confirmation bias. We see the instances where, for whatever reason, the report did not have questionable validity, timing and speed were of the essence, detailed investigation beforehand was not possible, etc etc. We're seeing the plane come back riddled with bullet holes and questioning why more armor isn't put into the places with the most bullet holes.