A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

So the French word for work derives from the name of a torture device.

That abouts sums up my position on the matter.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "Work" in the context of "work is what gives you purpose" is usually meant as the idea of working continuously with no true end goal. The idea that work in and of itself is what is important.

"Productivity" is not "work."
    In short, you're defining my term for me. K. Nice chatting with you.
    It's hard to forgive those who have wronged you but every moment you don't is another they have hurt you.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Discord: HalfTangible#7505

Extended Sig

Kalani the Heartbinder in Pan-aeons [God Game]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    In short, you're defining my term for me. K. Nice chatting with you.
    If someone suggests a definition someone else disagrees with, the second person can suggest an alternative definition.

When someone suggests a definition, that isn't necessarily done with aggressive intent, sometimes there is more than one meaning for a word, and it's worth enquiring which is meant.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Maybe in a general sense we are moving away, but the devil is in the details. I work in financial advising and you get the atta boys for staying extra free hours everyday, and the silent treatment if you don't.

There is also a whole bevy of articles above Hustle and Grind culture in the US, where being available to work at any time is seen as necessary for advancement.
    Imean, if you're asking me if the exempt employment status is also a dinosaur that needs to go, that's also a resounding yes. Maybe I'm optimistic but that viewpoint is in its death throes. Sure, it may seem loud in some places, but that's the deathbed rattle.

It may also come from my hsitory in the medical field and also my new field. Both of which are of the "work costs money" variety, and also are very results oriented.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Work gives you purpose" is clearly meant to be both the act and the result. If one's work was moving a box back and forth between two points, nobody would ever say that gives purpose, because that is lacking any benefit.
    Unless there is a benefit to moving the box back and forth between the two points. Say, if the box is a container for moving batches of smaller items from one point of processing to another; moving the box back and forth is a direct contributor to the throughput of one point of processing (and thus the maximum throughput of the entire overarching process).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Unless there is a benefit to moving the box back and forth between the two points. Say, if the box is a container for moving batches of smaller items from one point of processing to another; moving the box back and forth is a direct contributor to the throughput of one point of processing (and thus the maximum throughput of the entire overarching process).
    Then it doesn't lack benefit and gives some purpose. We can go to Sisyphus, if that's better.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-22 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Had the Y and I in the wrong places
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Seconded.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    "Work gives you purpose" is clearly meant to be both the act and the result. If one's work was moving a box back and forth between two points, nobody would ever say that gives purpose, because that is lacking any benefit.
    Then it doesn't lack benefit and gives some purpose.
    Exactly: exceedingly few tasks are wholly without purpose/benefit. It's all about what the purpose is, and whether pursuit of that purpose looks like benefit to you.

More generally...."Work gives you purpose" is ultimately rooted in the sense of fulfillment involved in completing a task. Something easily found with simple physical labor and the fairly obvious point where the task is done; creative endeavors involve much more effort, especially when considering that "done" is the point where you're confident enough to stop reviewing and refining rather than the moment you reach the "end". I'd have a difficult time accepting that either of those things isn't "work" though.

However far the trite phrase may have been stretched over the years, the concept remains viable to a key audience: those who haven't yet discovered the correlation between accomplishment and fulfillment. There's also the simple fact that there are people who aren't driven by (seemingly) unattainable goals, and they find purpose in less lofty but more attainable pursuits...which might include work.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Colossus in the Playground

Every so often I have a dream where I have some superpower or special technique from some show or story but when I try to use it it doesn't work.

Last night, for example: You'd be surprised how frustrating it is to know instinctively that you have a Stand and then when you're surrounded by... Some kind of enemy. I want to say ghosts? And then it just stands there, pun not intended, when it would be really useful for it to go and start punching ghosts or something.

"Come on, you're supposed to stand by me and watch my back. That's literally why you're called that!"
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

@Rater: Remember the perfect dream pizza you mentioned in the previous thread, a while back? Suppose I started out with a pepperoni-mushroom pizza, what would you suggest I add? Should it have lots of pepperoni and mushroom? Add oregano, olives or whatever? More meat? Next time I order another pepperoni-mushroom pizza I'd like to know what you would suggest to make it better.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

So in a few days I might finally be able to play relatively modern games!

Or in other words, brother's donating an old tower that got set up as a gaming PC, I just need to get a wireless keyboard, mouse, and possibly an internal hard drive (which to be fair is relatively cheap). Kind of wondering if I need to go bigger than 500 gigs in the HDD, considering that I'm already using a 2TB external drive for games.

Although I might get an SSD and then get a 2-4TB HDD later, depending on costs.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    @Rater: Remember the perfect dream pizza you mentioned in the previous thread, a while back? Suppose I started out with a pepperoni-mushroom pizza, what would you suggest I add? Should it have lots of pepperoni and mushroom? Add oregano, olives or whatever? More meat? Next time I order another pepperoni-mushroom pizza I'd like to know what you would suggest to make it better.
    This is, of course, all a matter of personal preference so take this with a grain of salt—I don't actually know what it was I did in the perfect pizza dream—I find that overloading a pizza teds o make it worse. Too many toppings is just... Like, sometimes my family will order a pep mushroom sausage and at one place this ends up very good but at another place the flavors just drown out.

Beyond that, it really depends on where you're ordering from... Though I find that you can't go wrong with extra cheese.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Like what Rater said, sometimes less is more. I don’t like when places cheap on toppings but honestly the two things that make a pizza good more than anything else is the sauce and the crust.

That being said, I like putting oregano and red pepper flakes on my pizza slices.

13. - Top - End - #103

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So in a few days I might finally be able to play relatively modern games!

Or in other words, brother's donating an old tower that got set up as a gaming PC, I just need to get a wireless keyboard, mouse, and possibly an internal hard drive (which to be fair is relatively cheap). Kind of wondering if I need to go bigger than 500 gigs in the HDD, considering that I'm already using a 2TB external drive for games.

Although I might get an SSD and then get a 2-4TB HDD later, depending on costs.
    Specs? I've seen PCs rocking a GT710 graphics card (e.g. maybe capable of running 10-year-old games at 30 fps if you're lucky) sold brand new as "gaming PCs"! Worth checking if the machine has a slot for an M.2 SSD, they're generally cheaper than the regular 2.5" form factor and can often be faster as well.

14. - Top - End - #104

If we're talking post-baking seasoning, a dusting of parmesan goes a long way.

I've never really one red pepper but I've been trying to expand my horizons recently... Might be something to look into.

Also, if stuffed crust is an affordable option, it's usually worth it.

God damn it I'm getting hungry.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

If one's work was moving a box back and forth between two points, nobody would ever say that gives purpose, because that is lacking any benefit.
    Weeping Sisyphus noises.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

Right now I'm thinking of pepperoni-mushroom with oregano and a parmesan dusting. Maybe a crust stuffed with cheese? I think it'd get too cheesy for my tastes to go that far though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Weeping Sisyphus noises.
    Can someone tell Sisyphus to get back to work? That boulder ain't rolling itself up that hill. If he's got time to weep, he's got time to roll that boulder. Honestly, can you believe that guy!? Good help is hard to find these days in Ancient Greece!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Specs? I've seen PCs rocking a GT710 graphics card (e.g. maybe capable of running 10-year-old games at 30 fps if you're lucky) sold brand new as "gaming PCs"! Worth checking if the machine has a slot for an M.2 SSD, they're generally cheaper than the regular 2.5" form factor and can often be faster as well.
    Specs are nowhere near amazing, it was built (by my brother) as a gaming PC a few years ago. I can't remember the exact graphics card or processor, but I've been warned that for AAA games it'll drop below 30FPS somewhere in the last few years (and when I quoted posts to my girlfriend she confirmed it, she had a very similar setup).

As for drives, I'm waiting until I have it before I order. The case is old enough that I'm not 100% certain it has any kind of SSD mount. I'll have a look when I get my hands on it on Sunday.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-09-23 at 12:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Can someone tell Sisyphus to get back to work? That boulder ain't rolling itself up that hill. If he's got time to weep, he's got time to roll that boulder. Honestly, can you believe that guy!? Good help is hard to find these days in Ancient Greece!
    In Hell. Honestly that guy should follow the Danaïdes' example. You never hear them complain!
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

19. - Top - End - #109

God damn it I'm getting hungry.
    Grilled cheese and tomato soup saves the day!

Incidentally, a little bit of Italian seasoning and a little bit of garlic pepper can really punch up a pot of condensed tomato soup.

Now... To not fall asleep.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Grilled cheese and tomato soup saves the day!

Incidentally, a little bit of Italian seasoning and a little bit of garlic pepper can really punch up a pot of condensed tomato soup.

Now... To not fall asleep.
    I advise playing music, that pumps me up tends to keep me awake. go for rock/heavy metal and no lo-fi.

either that or find something to focus on/archive binge that tells a story, when I'm caught up in a story I know I can't sleep.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere". Hate is a chain, free yourself.

21. - Top - End - #111

This is, of course, all a matter of personal preference so take this with a grain of salt—I don't actually know what it was I did in the perfect pizza dream—I find that overloading a pizza teds o make it worse. Too many toppings is just... Like, sometimes my family will order a pep mushroom sausage and at one place this ends up very good but at another place the flavors just drown out.
    Yeah; the trick for a good pizza with numerous toppings is use the array for variety, not volume. Or, I suppose, going for something along the lines of a calzone instead.

22. - Top - End - #112

Way back in the day, I'm talking something like 17-18 years ago now, my best friend and I worked at Domino's and made a pizza we called the Dominator. Took a large thick crust slab, no sauce, topped with cheese, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Took a large thin crust slab, put it on top. Lightly sauced it, topped it with cheese cheddar, and all the meats. When it cooked the thin crust edge draped over the thick edge and it made the thick edge super soft, like a breadstick made out of a cloud.

It was our very favorite pizza.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-23 at 02:58 PM.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

23. - Top - End - #113

Way back in the day, I'm talking something like 17-18 years ago now, my best friend and I worked at Domino's and made a pizza we called the Dominator. Took a large thick crust slab, no sauce, topped with cheese, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Took a large thin crust slab, put it on top. Lightly sauced it, topped it with cheese cheddar, and all the meats. When it cooked the thin crust edge draped over the thick edge and it made the thick edge super soft, like a breqdstixk made out of a cloud.

It was our very favorite pizza.
    I bow before your superior gluttony, oh Wise One,
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-23 at 02:51 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114

I bow before your superior gluttony, oh Wise One,
    It helps when you work there and have both a lot a time to devise it and also a manager who let's you do it for like five bucks.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

This is my first time working on a program with a large group (18 or 19 people) and it is an *amazing* feeling. We got so much done in the last 3 days. Have you ever created a social media app from scratch? Cuz I can say I have. Or at least helped to.
    It's hard to forgive those who have wronged you but every moment you don't is another they have hurt you.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Discord: HalfTangible#7505

Extended Sig

Kalani the Heartbinder in Pan-aeons [God Game]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Week after next, I'll be clearing out most of my remaining volunteer hours for Indiana Master Naturalist. I haven't finished the 24 hours yet, mostly because I work an 8-5 job through the week, and there are few late night/weekend volunteer opportunities.

I'm going to be directing people where to park for the Fall Festival for a total of about 14.5 hours.

Next year, I'm hoping things will be a bit safer, and I can get an Indiana Master Gardener certificate too. That one requires 40 hours of volunteering, IIRC.

Net+ certification tomorrow instead of Sunday. Had to reschedule because family.

Trying to plan out the next few certifications I take too.

Life sure is a chaotic mess, ain't it.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-09-24 at 10:40 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful BeckyPages. My OC Curtain Call.

My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Well the computer has been hefted from one end of London to the other. Now I've just got to resort for the SSD and wireless mouse and keyboard to arrive.

Then I've got to get an OS on there that won't cost me a hundred quid. So probably Ubuntu for now.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well the computer has been hefted from one end of London to the other. Now I've just got to resort for the SSD and wireless mouse and keyboard to arrive.

Then I've got to get an OS on there that won't cost me a hundred quid. So probably Ubuntu for now.
    Is SteamOS a viable thing?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

29. - Top - End - #119

I had good experience with DOS some time back.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Seconded.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Is SteamOS a viable thing?
    I'm not sure, I'll definitely look it up.

I had good experience with DOS some time back.
    I checked, apparently support was stopped a couple of decades back?

Show