New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

Yes, well, once you tossed public office in the mix I decided to be, as I said, rather generous with the wording.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-26 at 10:38 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm not talking about criticism... Well, maybe unfounded criticisms but in my experiance people don't actually care if their critiques are valid.

Comic Book: Fills in a major missing piece in this character's backstory to explain why they went from an anti-hero to a monster

Alleged Fans: "Oh, boo hoo he had a sad backstory so that makes everything he did okay?"

Me: "That's very clearly not what it's saying."

Other readers *Dismiss me with some bullcrap about how of course I'm dismissing their totally valid criticism becuase I'm Stanning for the character.*

Ironically, some of these same people will go on to outright ignore terrible things that their favorite villains have done.

Anyway, it's not being shielded from criticisms. It's being shielded from deliberate mistreatment.

You're a manager at a business and you're having a bad day so you decide to take it out on one of your employees. You're probably not gonna pick Bob from accounting if Bob from accounting is an eccentric millionaire who is only working there becuase he likes working with numbers becuase he has the power to retaliate and can afford to escalate the issue further than you can.

Or, using superpowers as an example: Everybody says that teenagers are stupid, but seriously, how many sociopathic narcissistic asshats who get off on hurting or humiliating people weaker than them would seriously decide to harass the kid who can breathe fire and control the weather?
    Frankly, plenty of people would continue to try and heap abuse on you. Your narcissistic teenagers for example would just call you a freak and cry foul at the slightest hint of retaliation, and you would be held responsible because you have so much more power than they do that any and all confrontation and harm done is automatically your fault due to your absolute status over them. Physical or symbolic power is no defense against psychological attacks, the only thing you can do is just... not care what they think anymore.

We could continue to dance around this a bit more, but frankly, i think we both know which direction this conversation is headed. My advice to you continues to be the same: Youre never going to get the results you want from continuing to play their game by their rules. The best thing you can do is flip the metaphorical table and just leave the game all together. So long as you place importance in their opinions, no amount of power or wealth or whatever will lessen their ability to affect you.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-26 at 10:44 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Frankly, plenty of people would continue to try and heap abuse on you. Your narcissistic teenagers for example would just call you a freak and cry foul at the slightest hint of retaliation, and you would be held responsible because you have so much more power than they do that any and all confrontation and harm done is automatically your fault due to your absolute status over them. Physical or symbolic power is no defense against psychological attacks, the only thing you can do is just... not care what they think anymore.
    You're assuming I value their opinions.

I have no respect for these people, but even the mightiest dam will break if there's too much water for it to hold back... Or if someone deliberately dynamites it at a structural weak point. Words can hurt more than any physical injury

It would make me briefly happy if karma hit some of these people where it hurt, but you're operating on the assumption that I respect these people.

These people are beneath me. I know thi objectively, becuase if they weren't they wouldn't have felt the need to derive their amusement or esteem from hurting people they perceived as weaker than them.

But being swarmed by a million ants is still fricking terrifying and can still hurt you really bad.

That aside. It's not about inflicting harm on them. It's not about threatening them, it's not about intimidation.

It's about the knowledge that there might be consequences for their actions that they can't avoid. Dragon Boy can be the nicest guy in the world, but the simple fact that he could kill you by exhaling would give anyone with a brain in their head pause becuase everyone has their limits. That would filter out most of the crap I had to deal with in and of itself. Wouldnt even has to do anything.

These people are cowards. The thought that it could bite them would stop most of them. It's just, they're also self-absorbed or stupid, so the warnings need to be in giant flaming letters.

And then there's assuming that simply having powers is all you'd do with it. If I had "absurd" power over the weather back in high school, anyone who tried to bully me would have gotten dogpiled by everyone else becuase I would have been stopping the lake from flooding and keeping tornadoes out of town. Only an absolute idiot would kill the golden goose.

Granted, it's entirely possible that I'd have gone drunk with power but then you get a situation like that one episode of the Twilight Zone where nobody wants to piss off the one kid because he has power and was afraid to use it.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-26 at 11:55 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

I'd honestly be beneath notice than above reprisal, it's part of the train I never seriously considered [redacted] as a career (well, that and the noticeable stitch impediment).

Sure I could, assuming the required science exists and just isn't known, build a mind control satellite and take over the world. Although I'd have a bit of tribute with the dramatic revelation because I still haven't picked out my supervillain name (and to be honest I'd probably need that before I used nefarious means to find the satellite). But honestly seems like it would run too much of a risk of Batman showing up.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You're assuming I value their opinions.
    I mean, youre here however many years after the fact wishing you could completely redefine your life (and radically so) based entirely on what they did. You may not hold them in great personal esteem but its very, very clear that their opinions and thoughts mean a great deal to you.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-27 at 07:06 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #156

I mean, youre here however many years after the fact wishing you could completely redefine your life (and radically so) based entirely on what they did. You may not hold them in great personal esteem but its very, very clear that their opinions and thoughts mean a great deal to you.
    No. I am making the statement that my life would have been better if I had tangible amounts of power, and would be better in the future.

A lot of people have singled me out for mistreatment for no reason and, objectively, a lot fewer of them would have done so if there was so tangible consequence to their actions that they could not avoid.

This is something that has happened to me a lot, so it's only natural that it's one of the first things I think of when mentioning ways my life could have gone differently.

That's not the same as being obsessed.

And, as I've stated previously, I would not go back and redefine my life becuase if I changed my past it would, from my perspective, be exactly the same as committing suicide so that someone else could takes my place.

Now, I sometimes fantasize about running into some of the douchebags who were bad enough that I still remember their names and then when they try to pull their old tricks again I've somehow gotten into a position where the attempt just ends up resulting in their own humiliation instead of mine, but it's only natural to desire closure from truamatic events.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, considering how much it comes up on here...

There are some things in the past that I wish I could go back and change. Get that treatment I could have had five to ten years ago that would have stopped the degeneration of my eyes, for instance. But I don't dwell on it, and try to avoid having it come up on here.

Mainly because I'd start grumbling about how it'll probably stop me from being a potential Mars colonist (along with all the other things that'll also stop me).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, considering how much it comes up on here...

There are some things in the past that I wish I could go back and change. Get that treatment I could have had five to ten years ago that would have stopped the degeneration of my eyes, for instance. But I don't dwell on it, and try to avoid having it come up on here.

Mainly because I'd start grumbling about how it'll probably stop me from being a potential Mars colonist (along with all the other things that'll also stop me).
    I find that spite works as a motivator.

Completely honest, if I hadn't been motivated by spiting the people who told me I'd never amount to anything I probably wouldn't have made it through high school.

Is that healthy? Probably not, but using the pain as a motivating force is better than stewing in it and letting it eat away at you.

Honestly, my problem here is mostly that I don't really have a clear goal to work for. I had a plan, and then it didn't turn out so well. Then my backup plan turned out to be founded on misinformation and some things came out that make it... Less than ideal for me to continue along with my plans. And then a pandemic happened and every time it seems to be almost over we backslide.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No. I am making the statement that my life would have been better if I had tangible amounts of power, and would be better in the future.

A lot of people have singled me out for mistreatment for no reason and, objectively, a lot fewer of them would have done so if there was so tangible consequence to their actions that they could not avoid.

This is something that has happened to me a lot, so it's only natural that it's one of the first things I think of when mentioning ways my life could have gone differently.

And, as I've stated previously, I would not go back and redefine my life becuase if I changed my past it would, from my perspective, be exactly the same as committing suicide so that someone else could takes my place.

Now, I sometimes fantasize about running into some of the douchebags who were bad enough that I still remember their names and then when they try to pull their old tricks again I've somehow gotten into a position where the attempt just ends up resulting in their own humiliation instead of mine, but it's only natural to desire closure from truamatic events.
    I mean you say that, but physical power is not a particularly good defense against psychological assault. And you also occasionally admit that you fantasize about, effectively, hurting and bullying them. Now im not a therapist and my advice should not be mistaken for genuine, professional council, but i do think you may want to take a genuine two steps back here and ask yourself what you actually want out of this. Because this doesnt read like a situation that ends with resolution and healing to me.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, no, it's just that you seem to focus on it a lot. Does that really help you or make you happier?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It's about the knowledge that there might be consequences for their actions that they can't avoid.
    This may be overly cynical of me, but sadly I think it estimates reality pretty well: I think you're being incredibly optimistic there.

All that said, second week of training started! We're in it earnestly now. Started off with PT, and it was brutal. Also found out the agency issues secure phones, which is kind of neat and also kind of annoying at the same time. Overall, defo a good idea, though. Gonna be a fun 27 more weeks, but being in the field after that will be awesome. At least, I hope.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #162

And you also occasionally admit that you fantasize about, effectively, hurting and bullying them.
    ...When?

I said I fantasize about showing up to my high school reunion with a perfect immortal body(or as a dragon) while everyone who caused me problems is over the hill so that the knowledge that the guy they spent so long tormenting is going to outlive them will stick with them or somehow becoming so obviously and overwhelmingly superior that even the most delusional narcissist has to know that trying to humiliate me

At no point does violence enter the equation, beyond the potential threat of it in the back of someone's head preventing them from picking a fight that they can't afford to be in.

Beyond that, physical might may not protect against psychological harm, physical might certainly help when the asshats are trying to inflict physical harm.

When you've been randomly punched by some ******* four times that you can clearly remember, armored scales, triple-density flesh, and bones that are harder than diamond and stronger than steel sound pretty good. If someone decides that something I said is grounds for them to inflict violence on me, let them break their own god-damned hands on my body. If someone wants to push me down the stairs, let me tumble all the way down to the bottom, get up just fine, and turn around and stare the bastard who tried to kill me in the eye.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

...When?
    Uh, just now? You said you want to see them humiliated instead of you. And its also kind of implicit in the repeated "I wish i was a giant powerful destructive monster" fantasies. Even if you arent literally wishing to chew them up and spit them out as a dragon, theres... a lot of really unpleasant subtext in some of the things you post sometimes.

Like, fair enough on not wanting to be physically abused, but generally i would think a better response to that would be "i want to see them in jail" not "I want to see them at my high school reunion."
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-27 at 10:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

These people are cowards. The thought that it could bite them would stop most of them. It's just, they're also self-absorbed or stupid, so the warnings need to be in giant flaming letters.
    Who told you that?

It's the propaganda we are told, but it's not always true.

There are some people who enjoy other people's pain, fear and unhappyness. The aren't necessarily cowards, they also aren't that common, but they are out there. Hopefully most of them are in psychiatric hospitals, but some aren't.

Also, army ants can kill you if you can't run away.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #165

Uh, just now? You said you want to see them humiliated instead of you.
    "I would like it if people who get off on humiliating others ended up humiliating themselves instead" is not "I want to be a bully."

And its also kind of implicit in the repeated "I wish i was a giant powerful destructive monster" fantasies. Even if you arent literally wishing to chew them up and spit them out like a dragon, there's... a lot of really unpleasant subtext in some of the things you post sometimes.
    I think that says more about you than it does me.

You're inferring violent intent.

If I aid I wanted to have a cool sword or a cool gun, that wouldn't mean I wanted to stab or shoot someone. Some people just have those as collectors items. Being a powerful non-human create falls under the same logic, with the added bonus of serving as a potential deterrent against mistreatment.
    Like, fair enough on not wanting to be physically abused, but generally i would think a better response to that would be "i want to see them in jail" not "I want to see them at my high school reunion."
    We both know that these people never suffer consequences for their actions. People don't go to jail for harassing people. The best you can get is a restraining order and those are far from effective. Oftentimes, people don't go to jail for inflicting violence on others, if it's just the one punch.

Realistically, the people who hurt me got away with it and will continue to get away with it. They probably got away with it with other people, too. There's nothing wrong for sometimes hoping that we'll run into each other and I'll be better off since that's pretty much the only justice I have any hope of getting.

Not like I'm even planning to go to my high school reunions for real. Not much point to it. Tha'ts jut the only situation I cold see actually running into these people.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Who told you that?

It's the propaganda we are told, but it's not always true.

There are some people who enjoy other people's pain, fear and unhappyness. The aren't necessarily cowards, they also aren't that common, but they are out there. Hopefully most of them are in psychiatric hospitals, but some aren't.

Also, army ants can kill you if you can't run away.
    If they werren't cowards they wouldn't have been punching down.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-27 at 10:31 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I would like it if people who get off on humiliating others ended up humiliating themselves instead" is not "I want to be a bully."

I think that says more about you than it does me.

You're inferring violent intent.

If I aid I wanted to have a cool sword or a cool gun, that wouldn't mean I wanted to stab or shoot someone. Some people just have those as collectors items. Being a powerful non-human create falls under the same logic, with the added bonus of serving as a potential deterrent against mistreatment.We both know that these people never suffer consequences for their actions. People don't go to jail for harassing people. The best you can get is a restraining order and those are far from effective. Oftentimes, people don't go to jail for inflicting violence on others, if it's just the one punch.

Realistically, the people who hurt me got away with it and will continue to get away with it. They probably got away with it with other people, too. There's nothing wrong for sometimes hoping that we'll run into each other and I'll be better off since that's pretty much the only justice I have any hope of getting.

Not like I'm even planning to go to my high school reunions for real. Not much point to it. Tha'ts jut the only situation I cold see actually running into these people.
    Yeah, i absolutely am inferring violent intent, because a lot of your hypotheticals end on a note of "and then theyre either humiliated or they keep trying and i carry through on my implicit threat of violence.

Look, im just a random guy on the internet making this read based on posts you make completely unprompted. I am not qualified to unpack everything here and i am fully aware that i do not know everything about your life or mental state. But from what i have seen, the things you are asking for will lead to an arms race, not healing, and i am not sure whether you understand that, or if its just what you genuinely want. You seem like a basically decent person for the most part, and i have a general aversion to letting people just hurt needlessly, so i just want to make sure you understand how the things youre saying come across.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

The 'noble bully' or 'bully hunter' is just an attempt to rationalise bad behaviour as not being bad. For what it's worth, I'll note that it also sounds like bullying to me, the victim doesn't matter one bit.

I understand the desire for vengeance, pursued either passively or actively, but I don't think dwelling on it is healthy.

Show

18. - Top - End - #168

You're seeing subtext I never intended. I don't do implicit threats of violence, I state facts and let people come to their own conclusions.

I have no intent to inflict violence on anyone. Nor would I even threaten it. But the people who hurt me are the kind of people who like to punch down. And the only way to protect yourself from those people are to be obviously so far "up" that if they tried punching up they wouldn't be able to reach you.

And since success in life is incredibly subjective—some of these people could be homeless toothless addicts riddled with diseases crome dirty needles and they'd still be able to do the mental gymnastics needed to think they're better off than someone who merely has education and a roof over their heads—well, I already said it, they need it spelled out in giant flaming letters. It doesn't matter where I am in life, if there's anything subtle or subjective about it then these people would just see a target.

But considering that some of these people were exactly the same in senior year as they were in the fifth grade, I doubt it.

This is a recurring problem I have. When I try my best to state explicitly what I mean, people pick it apart for a "deeper meaning." When I use metaphor and subtext, I either get taken at face value or get yelled at for changing the topics and accused of "whataboutism."

Often times it's the same people.

It's incredibly frustrating.

Seriously. How o you people speak in a way that gets people to understand what you mean? How to language?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    The 'noble bully' or 'bully hunter' is just an attempt to rationalise bad behaviour as not being bad. For what it's worth, I'll note that it also sounds like bullying to me, the victim doesn't matter one bit.

I understand the desire for vengeance, pursued either passively or actively, but I don't think dwelling on it is healthy.
    Case in point: Nothing I've saud falls under the "Bully Hunter" trope.

I simply want to be in a position where these people don't consider me a valid target or, if they do, end up suffering proportionate negative consequences stemming directly from their own actions with no input on my part.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-27 at 11:13 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You're seeing subtext I never intended. I don't do implicit threats of violence, I state facts and let people come to their own conclusions.

I have no intent to inflict violence on anyone. Nor would I even threaten it. But the people who hurt me are the kind of people who like to punch down. And the only way to protect yourself from those people are to be obviously so far "up" that if they tried punching up they wouldn't be able to reach you.

And since success in life is incredibly subjective—some of these people could be homeless toothless addicts riddled with diseases crome dirty needles and they'd still be able to do the mental gymnastics needed to think they're better off than someone who merely has education and a roof over their heads—well, I already said it, they need it spelled out in giant flaming letters. It doesn't matter where I am in life, if there's anything subtle or subjective about it then these people would just see a target.

But considering that some of these people were exactly the same in senior year as they were in the fifth grade, I doubt it.

This is a recurring problem I have. When I try my best to state explicitly what I mean, people pick it apart for a "deeper meaning." When I use metaphor and subtext, I either get taken at face value or get yelled at for changing the topics and accused of "whataboutism."

Often times it's the same people.

It's incredibly frustrating.

Seriously. How o you people speak in a way that gets people to understand what you mean? How to language?
    I dont think youre doing it intentionally, entirely, but you really dont seem to have given consideration to the fact that if they were to physically attack Superman/a dragon/Captain America/A giant death robot/Ego the living planet/whatever, the thing that gets people to reconsider is the threat of violent reprisal, not their inherent dignity and nobility. Stating a fact and letting people draw their own conclusions about the safety of that action IS an implicit threat of violence. Thats what implicit means, that theyre drawing their own conclusions from the context you set up.

20. - Top - End - #170

I dont think youre doing it intentionally, entirely, but you really dont seem to have given consideration to the fact that if they were to physically attack Superman/a dragon/Captain America/A giant death robot/Ego the living planet/whatever, the thing that gets people to reconsider is the threat of violent reprisal, not their inherent dignity and nobility. Stating a fact and letting people draw their own conclusions about the safety of that action IS an implicit threat of violence. Thats what implicit means, that theyre drawing their own conclusions from the context you set up.
    So, from my perspective, I'm saying "you know, it would be really cool if I could live in a house that was physically impossible to break into" and you're all acting like I was saying I wanted to be Bronson's character in Death Wish.

Who, incidentally enough, meets all of the qualifications to be a Slasher Movie villain. Improbable skill at violence, origin story involves an injustice resulting in an anger that he takes out on uninvolved parties with only a superficial resemblance at best to the actual perpetrators, kills people who can't fight back, relishes in the violence even when he claims otherwise, targets people even when they can't fight back for the sole sake of killing them, takes more punishment than anything ever realistically could and comes back in the next movie perfectly fine when he should be dead or at least permanently crippled, and his signature weapon can be interpreted as a phallic symbol.

World of Darkness: Slasher even uses Bronson's character as an example of one of their Slasher Archetypes.

Which, to change the subject, goes to show that a lot of what a character is is about perception.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, from my perspective, I'm saying "you know, it would be really cool if I could live in a house that was physically impossible to break into" and you're all acting like I was saying I wanted to be Bronson's character in Death Wish.
    Ok, and from my perspective, youre saying "you know, it would be really cool if i could live in a house that was physically impossible to break into due to all the death traps i have set up."

Its not just the end goal, but the methods being used to get there, that are giving off uncomfortable vibes.

22. - Top - End - #172

Ok, and from my perspective, youre saying "you know, it would be really cool if i could live in a house that was physically impossible to break into due to all the death traps i have set up."
    Okay, think of the being a dragon the house.

The armored scales and the being really fricking big and the fact that a dragon would have to be absurdly strong to be able to fly are like the house having reinforced steel doors, windows made of shatter-resistant glass, sounded by a tall wall or fence made of something ficiult to scale and harder still to break through, with a yard full of tall trees and rose bushes. The windows physically can't be opened from the outside, even if they're unlocked ont eh inside, and the doors all have not only a key lock but multiple deadbolts.

These are the things that physically prevent someone from breaking in.

The magical powers and fire breath and the ike? Those are like having a security camera posted in plain view everywhere around the property so that there is not a single part of it that is not in view of at least one camera, having a sign declaring that the property is monitored by a security company in plain view from the street, and living across the street from a police station. They don't, in and of themselves, prevent trespassing, but the simple fact that they're there is a deterrent in that it makes people less likely to think that they'll get away with it.

If at any point yo actually need to use anty of that, something has already gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think you may wish to reassess your comparison of a dragon's natural weaponry to security cameras. They really arent comparable. Yes, the hope is that you dont have to use them, but their presence indicates a willingness to do so if it comes to it.

Random semi-related fact. In Baseball, if the batter charges the pitcher's mound without discarding their bat, theres a pretty substantial chance that they may be criminally charged for doing so because, even if they dont intend to use it at all and just forgot they were carrying it, the fact is they approached another person they had a conflict with while carrying a dangerous weapon, which is considered to be communication of a violent threat.

24. - Top - End - #174

I think you may wish to reassess your comparison of a dragon's natural weaponry to security cameras. They really arent comparable. Yes, the hope is that you dont have to use them, but their presence indicates a willingness to do so if it comes to it.

Random semi-related fact. In Baseball, if the batter charges the pitcher's mound without discarding their bat, theres a pretty substantial chance that they may be criminally charged for doing so because, even if they dont intend to use it at all and just forgot they were carrying it, the fact is they approached another person they had a conflict with while carrying a dangerous weapon, which is considered to be communication of a violent threat.
    Your baseball comparison is flawed in that 1: It assumes that I am the aggressor in the situation. 2: The the batter is already committing a crime by assaulting the pitcher whether he's armed or not and 3: There's a difference between an external weapon and something that's part of someone's body.

If I got stung by a radioactive bee and that turned my arm into a bio-mechanical apparatus that shot a bee-stinger like a projectile with the force of a bullet... that's part of my body. That is not a gun, that is me. Gun law does not apply. As far as the law is concerned, it's just an arm. People could not legally bar me from entering an establishment claiming I have a gun. The existence of that apparatus in and of itself is not probable cause to believe that I have malevolent intention.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Your baseball comparison is flawed in that 1: It assumes that I am the aggressor in the situation. 2: The the batter is already committing a crime by assaulting the pitcher whether he's armed or not and 3: There's a difference between an external weapon and something that's part of someone's body.

If I got stung by a radioactive bee and that turned my arm into a bio-mechanical apparatus that shot a bee-stinger like a projectile with the force of a bullet... that's part of my body. That is not a gun, that is me. Gun law does not apply. As far as the law is concerned, it's just an arm. People could not legally bar me from entering an establishment claiming I have a gun. The existence of that apparatus in and of itself is not probable cause to believe that I have malevolent intention.
    I use the baseball comparison because i feel pretty confidant that i can safely talk about baseball within the bounds of the forum rules. There are better analogies i could make that i am substantially less confidant about, so i wont do so, because i like Peelee and dont want to make him do extra work if i can help it.

Also, it isnt assaulting the pitcher that is the crime, it is just approaching the mound with the bat. Im like 80% sure (though its been a bit since ive actually checked) that doing so is an automatic disqualification and removal from the game, with other penalties and/or charges based on context. If you just go up to him and start yelling at him because he nailed you in the face with a pitch and you have a black eye and a concussion now, if you held onto that bat, youre still done playing. The reason this is the case is because the bat is an implicit threat even if you have no intent to use it or even any real awareness that its still in your hand. As soon as a weapon gets involved, your intent stops mattering.

Its similar wisdom to always treating a gun as if its loaded. There is danger present with the potential to escalate out of control quickly and severely if anything goes wrong. If you dont treat that danger with a healthy respect, youre asking for trouble.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-27 at 01:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Speaking of baseball that Shohei Ohtani sure is something. A pitcher with 45 home runs? Unprecedented.

27. - Top - End - #177

I use the baseball comparison because i feel pretty confidant that i can safely talk about baseball within the bounds of the forum rules. There are better analogies i could make that i am substantially less confidant about, so i wont do so, because i like Peelee and dont want to make him do extra work if i can help it.

Also, it isnt assaulting the pitcher that is the crime, it is just approaching the mound with the bat. Im like 80% sure (though its been a bit since ive actually checked) that doing so is an automatic disqualification and removal from the game, with other penalties and/or charges based on context. If you just go up to him and start yelling at him because he nailed you in the face with a pitch and you have a black eye and a concussion now, if you held onto that bat, youre still done playing. The reason this is the case is because the bat is an implicit threat even if you have no intent to use it or even any real awareness that its still in your hand. As soon as a weapon gets involved, your intent stops mattering.
    Okay, if that's a crime that's just dumb. It's one thing is the batter attacks the pitcher but if he goes up and starts yelling... Yeah, kick him out of the game but if he didn't actually lay hands or inflict injury on anyone he shouldn't be treated like he did in the eyes of the law.

I was operating on the assumption that the batter was attacking the pitcher, if it's just running up and yelling at him that's the issue then... That's poor sportsmanship. That's worth being thrown from the game, but it's not a crime and shouldn't be treated like one, that...

That's not even remotely comparable to anything we've been talking about. that's...

I'm actually angry now. If you're telling the truth bout the presence of a potential weapon that isn't used as such being the difference between poor sportsmanship and being charged with a crime that...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, if that's a crime that's just dumb. It's one thing is the batter attacks the pitcher but if he goes up and starts yelling... Yeah, kick him out of the game but if he didn't actually lay hands or inflict injury on anyone he shouldn't be treated like he did in the eyes of the law.

I was operating on the assumption that the batter was attacking the pitcher, if it's just running up and yelling at him that's the issue then... That's poor sportsmanship. That's worth being thrown from the game, but it's not a crime and shouldn't be treated like one, that...

That's not even remotely comparable to anything we've been talking about. that's...

I'm actually angry now. If you're telling the truth bout the presence of a potential weapon that isn't used as such being the difference between poor sportsmanship and being charged with a crime that...
    The threat to use dangerous force is also a crime, they dont have to actually wait for you to smack somebody before they can move to stop you. Like, he has a club. He could easily maim or kill the pitcher before anybody can stop him if he decides to. Thats why they take it so seriously.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-27 at 01:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

The threat to use dangerous force is also a crime, they dont have to actually wait for you to smack somebody before they can move to stop you. Like, he has a club. He could easily maim or kill the pitcher before anybody can stop him if he decides to. Thats why they take it so seriously.
    It's not a threat until he makes a threat. Implicit threats are... You can't prove or disprove intent to threaten without an explicit statement. That's...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

I just got in a nasty argument with my father, who thinks of himself as blameless because he's not (and I quote) "the one doing the arguing"

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.