New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Will there goes my calm day off relaxation. I find out that, due to a lack of free days, my referral was cancelled between the initial call about an appointment and me being able to call back. So now I've got to wait another two days for a GP skinny and then another two months for another potential eye appointment.

Because being able to see certainly isn't important and degenerative conditions just get better on their own.

This wouldn't have happened if, like with every other major appointment I've had, they just told me when it was. But no, when it's actually urgent they expect you to book and kick you off the list if you can't.
    Oh, yech. That sucks, man. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    The last of the pain in my jaw from having my wisdom teeth pulled is about gone, so I can actually use my entire mouth again for chewing! Glad that's over with. Now I never have to worry about my wisdom teeth again. Shame about the -2 wisdom penalty, but I wasn't using that stat much anyway.
    Glad it's over. I remember the relief of finally being able to eat properly again.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    My job requires me to get a drug test. They gave me a deadline that was about an hour from when they sent me the request... and sent that deadline to me about 10 minutes before the office I needed to go to closed.
    Eesh. Everyone getting screwed it seems like. :/
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

New topic: Spooky undead children.

I like the idea as a trope. Can anyone think of interesting examples of them? Fictional or from your own imagination. Disclaimer: Things shared may be used as inspiration for some homebrew I'm working on.
    Gauge from Pet Semetary.

Horrifying little thing.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Side note: for the past four(?) days I've been feeling with a sore throat, and it's just driving me insane. Paracetamol kind of numbs the ancient soreness, but I can't use it during the day I'd I want to sleep at night, and swallowing is just painful (as is hiccuping). I might be getting better, I feel more and to speak than I did yesterday, but I'm still up at the in INR morning due to throat pains.

Just wanted to moan.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Colossus in the Playground

So my grandma had an angiogram today.

She's been having trouble breathing lately and some tests found a blockage in her heart that might have been affecting her lungs, so they sent a camera in there to check it out and, if it was bad enough, take care of it.

They get the camera in her and that's how they learned that the tests gave a false positive. Not only is there no blockage but her heart is in perfect condition despite her being an obese elderly alcoholic chain smoker.

On the one hand... Yay? On the other, turns out the surgery wasn't necessary.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Aren't they more zombies?
    Aren't zombies undead?

You're assuming that they died at three same time...
    Am not. It's said in the movie. During Jack's interview for the job at the beginning, they tell him that in the winter of 1970, a previous caretakers killed his wife and their two daughters, age eight and ten, with an axe.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Nitpick: the ghost sisters are too far apart in age to be twins (can't remember if it's a two or three years difference).
    ... wait, really?

Aren't zombies undead?

Am not. It's said in the movie. During Jack's interview for the job at the beginning, they tell him that in the winter of 1970, a previous caretakers killed his wife and their two daughters, age eight and ten, with an axe.
    Zombies are undead but I'm pretty sure the Shining doesn't have zombies in it, just ghosts.

Also someone really shoulda told the casting director that before casting twins. And calling them twins. And having them be creepy twins. Because I don't know how to tell you this, person who directed this movie, but... you can't be twins if there's an age gap. That's not how any of this works.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-09-29 at 02:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Zombies are undead but I'm pretty sure the Shining doesn't have zombies in it, just ghosts.
    The zombi discussion was about Doctor Who, not The Shining.

Also someone really shoulda told the casting director that before casting twins. And calling them twins. And having them be creepy twins. Because I don't know how to tell you this, person who directed this movie, but... you can't be twins if there's an age gap. That's not how any of this works.
    The movie never calls them twins. The only reason people think they're twins is because they dress the same and speak in unisson, which is not a thing real twins do anayway.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The movie never calls them twins. The only reason people think they're twins is because they dress the same and speak in unisson, which is not a thing real twins do anayway.
    I think people think of them as twins because the actresses WERE twins, and people forget what was mentioned at the beginning about their ages. You wouldn't have looked at them in the movie and thought one was meant to be two years older than the other.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    I think people think of them as twins because the actresses WERE twins, and people forget what was mentioned at the beginning about their ages. You wouldn't have looked at them in the movie and thought one was meant to be two years older than the other.
    Fair enough.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Today at my job, there's a poltergeist at the men's toilet. To clarity, the toilet continues to flush without stopping.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Today at my job, there's a poltergeist at the men's toilet. To clarity, the toilet continues to flush without stopping.
    Do you mean that some unseen force is literally pushing the handle down repeatedly, or that it continues to flush well past the point it should stop?

If the latter, the little plastic nut/washer to the handle has probably gotten loose, so the plunger is probably getting caught on the chain. This causes the plunger to not seal in the reservoir, and the toilet to continue 'flushing' because it's essentially trying to fill a bucket with no bottom.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Do you mean that some unseen force is literally pushing the handle down repeatedly, or that it continues to flush well past the point it should stop?

If the latter, the little plastic nut/washer to the handle has probably gotten loose, so the plunger is probably getting caught on the chain. This causes the plunger to not seal in the reservoir, and the toilet to continue 'flushing' because it's essentially trying to fill a bucket with no bottom.
    The second one.

13. - Top - End - #223

The zombi discussion was about Doctor Who, not The Shining.

... my bad, I was tired oops.

I... also didn't actually know, as I haven't watched the film. And hey, twins can definitely do that sort of stuff (at least, the dressing the same).

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    In this day and age, its more likely an electronics error with whatever system it is they use to auto-flush when you get up off the toilet. Mechanically its probably fine, theres just something in its tiny little toilet brain thats telling it continually "flush flush flush flush flush flush!"
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    The second one.
    Then yeah, it's normal wear and tear/failing parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In this day and age, its more likely an electronics error with whatever system it is they use to auto-flush when you get up off the toilet. Mechanically its probably fine, theres just something in its tiny little toilet brain thats telling it continually "flush flush flush flush flush flush!"
    Fair, I was making a guess based off a similar issue with my home toilet.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-09-29 at 10:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The only reason people think they're twins is because they dress the same and speak in unisson, which is not a thing real twins do anayway.
    It sounds like you don't know any cool twins.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Mechanically its probably fine, theres just something in its tiny little toilet brain thats telling it continually "flush flush flush flush flush flush!"
    Maybe it's trying to play poker?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Maybe it's trying to play poker?
    Never make gamble with a toilet. No matter who wins, everybody loses.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #229

Grilled Cheese experiment. Guda cheese on "rustic rye."

Ran into some trouble with running out of cooking oil before both sides were coated and had some trouble getting it to hold together when flipping, but the end product was satisfactory.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Applied for new job. Let's see how it goes.

Some spots opened up Saturday for certification, so taking it then instead of Sunday.

21. - Top - End - #231

We had to put the dog down.

I don't know the details but it had something to do with his heart. He's been getting orse recently, they went in and apparently his condition deteriorated and...

He was old and sick and inbred all to hell so we knew this was coming but...

I'm just glad he didn't die in the house. He wasn't "my dog" but I wouldn't have been able to handle that.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know the details but it had something to do with his heart. He's been getting orse recently, they went in and apparently his condition deteriorated and...

I'm just glad he didn't die in the house. He wasn't "my dog" but I wouldn't have been able to handle that.
    *hugs*

My condolences. Losing a pet is always rough.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

I'm so sorry, Rater. It sucks when a dog dies.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm so sorry Rater.

25. - Top - End - #235

Having gotten the details... He was basically drowning in his own fluids due to end-stage heart failure and wouldn't have made it through the night. It's better this way.

I'm fine. Little concerned about my stepfather—the old man was "his" dog and if my stepfather has one redeeming quality it's that he loved that dog. But he seems to be doing okay.
    Unrelated, so I slept for a cole of hours and when I woke u the idea of being cast as Satan in a stage adaption of the South Park movie was stuck in my head.

I don't know if that's what I was dreaming about but I have to wonder what the hell is going on in my subconscous.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #236

I've parted with the 2 plushies that I've had for ~25 years. In the end it wasn't as hard as I imagined it to be considering they had a lot of sentimental value. It probably helped that I had about 2 weeks to think about it, had a friend with me when I put them into the textile bin and taken a few more good looks at them before parting with them, so they had a proper sendoff. Any kind of repair would not have been a repair as much as remaking them from scratch. They were so badly torn up, discolored, kind of dirty, inside and out. They deserve better than to just waste away in that state on my shelf. This way, they get to be recycled into new plushies and their souls can go to plushie heaven*.

*Which is totally a thing, shut up.
    Last edited by Form; 2021-10-02 at 09:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Having gotten the details... He was basically drowning in his own fluids due to end-stage heart failure and wouldn't have made it through the night. It's better this way.

I'm fine. Little concerned about my stepfather—the old man was "his" dog and if my stepfather has one redeeming quality it's that he loved that dog. But he seems to be doing okay.
    Unrelated, so I slept for a cole of hours and when I woke u the idea of being cast as Satan in a stage adaption of the South Park movie was stuck in my head.

I don't know if that's what I was dreaming about but I have to wonder what the hell is going on in my subconscous.
    I'm sorry for your loss; even if you were not personally close to the dog, there is comfort in animals and the absence will be noticed.

I mean what the hell is going on in your subconscious is a lot of stress and sadness. These things happen, and sometimes lead to weird places.

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I've parted with the 2 plushies that I've had for ~25 years. In the end it wasn't as hard as I imagined it to be considering they had a lot of sentimental value. It probably helped that I had about 2 weeks to think about it, had a friend with me when I put them into the textile bin and taken a few more good looks at them before parting with them, so they had a proper sendoff. Any kind of repair would not have been a repair as much as remaking them from scratch. They were so badly torn up, discolored, kind of dirty, inside and out. They deserve better than to just waste away in that state on my shelf. This way, they get to be recycled into new plushies and their souls can go to plushie heaven*.

*Which is totally a thing, shut up.
    It's sad, but also a beautiful thing indeed. They will go on to bring joy to others, and while their spirit passes on, the feelings will linger with you forever. From the sounds of it, these were very well loved, and that matters.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's sad, but also a beautiful thing indeed. They will go on to bring joy to others, and while their spirit passes on, the feelings will linger with you forever. From the sounds of it, these were very well loved, and that matters.
    This helps too. Thanks, Zodi.

29. - Top - End - #239

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm of the understanding that most Europeans consider Turkey to be extremely hot and dry. Well...
    Istanbul is on the coast of the Bosphorus (the channel between the Mediterranean and the Black Sea), so it's most definitely not the hottest and driest part of Turkey by any stretch of the imagination.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    True, but it's still part of Turkey.
    Istanbul was Constantinople.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2