A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Gentik Academy Of The Arts [IC]

Luther eyes up the larder, somewhat disbelieving what he's seeing. He let's out a cackle as he finds a small pot of beef dripping that he gleefully smears on a hunk of bread for his tea.

He turns in slightly later than Euraylia, sleeping happily through her infernal alarm clock. Heavy sleeping is a particular skill of his, honed by sharing a bed with most of his family since he was little.

The next morning he rises early for stretches, light dance practice and reading the about Tosca (the near legendary founder of the bladedancers).

He nods a greeting to Gruk, "Don't fret lad, I'm often the same meself."

Luther appears slightly giggly as he sprinkles currants onto porridge that he's made with milk and sugar. "So it really refills every day like? I ent et like this since the last feast day!"

Finally peeling himself away from brekkie he reads the letter. "That's a fine way to start the term tha' is, makes sure we're all on't same page. Ah can't wait to 'ave a chinwag wi' this Silvux."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Normally having porridge with water and salt is a Scottish thing, but it seems more austere if that's what he's used to.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Qrr's awakening is similare to their aasimar companions, but all contained to the small room near soundlessly. Push ups, pull ups, shadow combat, meditation for several hours, and then finally leaving for breakfast. a whee of Cheese, a loaf of bread, and dried meat acompany a mornings mug of ale.

"Hrr" he grunts thoughtfully in response to Luther and Euralyia

"To be honest, I'm not quite sure where this fits into my work, as I've never fit in the arcane or theurigical truly, but every bit helps I suppose. And the experts are surely to no better than me on that matter."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

"I suppose, even if you're not likely to end up projecting classical arcane or divine magic, you're almost certainly going to encounter its wielders on the other side of a magical conflict. The better I grasp someone else's magic, the better suited I am to unravelling it, I guess." The blonde hums speculatively, as she feeds strips of shaved mutton to Sosthenes; tossing them at him one at a time as if she expects him to start catching them. His actual responses range from watching them hit the table, and pecking them up, through to being bopped on the head, flailing in disproportionate alarm, and then pecking them up.

4. - Top - End - #34

Chimera

"I suppose that tracks" Qrr says as he wripps a chunk of bread off with his teeth, but chews and swallows before continuing "But in my personal experience few magics of any kind stand up long underneath a volley of well-placed blows from a trained hand. Divine or Arcane, most magicaly inclined folks never take a good punch well. Although there are exceptions, like the Monks of my home, or the Elves with the Song of Swords."
    he stops and then adds "And Battle priests now that I think on it, most of those can give as good as they heal."
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-09-25 at 12:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

The Paladin laughs warmly, and bounces her eyebrows in amused receipt of the point. “It ain’t untrue. Nothing disrupts your conjugation of the draconic Ur-words like a mouthful of your own broken teeth.”

6. - Top - End - #36

Chimera

Qrr chuckles back "No, I suppose nothing else is quite like that."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Tha' might actually improve me pronunciation! As I understan' it the bladedancers prefer to avoid bein' hit altogether rather than being able to take a good whack. I do recommend dance shoes as a method for toughenin' up though, they're ruddy murder on the toes!"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

As the others begin to wake up, you finish breaking your fast. You've got a little time before ten thirty arrives, but knowing you've still got a lot of campus to navigate, you decide to leave a touch early. You exit the room and touch the rune, summoning another servant, and ask for directions to Slivux's Introduction To Spell Theory And Theurgy class.

You arrive at about twenty past ten, and see a few other students there. Some are studying, some are doodling, and one is asleep near the back of the room. You see no sign of the professor, but there is a large brown pot on the raised platform, filled with some kind of strange green goo. You find spots, and wait patiently for class to begin.

At ten thirty on the dot, the pot of goo begins to bubble. A small face, lacking much detail, forms and rises out. "Good morning, class. Welcome to Spells 101-Intoduction To Spell Theory And Theurgy. Now, can anyone tell me what magic is?"

There's a brief moment of silence. "That's okay-I can't really either! But in this class, we'll at least get you closer to answer. We will not be doing any casting in the first few classes, so put those foci away-this is theory, not practice, right now. A spell is a discrete..." he begins the lecture.

It lasts for about an hour and a half, with Slivux periodically asking questions, inquiring about the experiences of the students in this field, and making sure everyone is up to speed. You feel like a lot of this is stuff you already knew, but perhaps would've had trouble articulating. While you might consider testing out of this course, if that's possible, it's certainly not useless to be here.

At the end, Slivux says "And that will be all for the day. If you have any questions, stick around-and I'd like for Cale, Qrr-Sath, Euraylia, Luther, and Pebbles to stay behind for sure." Most of the students leave, though three stick around. Two of them approach Slivux, and ask for clarity on a few points. He helps them, and sends them on their way. The last one besides you all staying is the sleeping student, who has only periodically awoken.

"Pebbles... Pebbles... Gods damn it all, Thaumaturgy... PEBBLES!" Slivux yells.

"Huh, wha, yeah?" the student, a short and stout human (or tall dwarf) lets out.

"This is why you failed last year. I am a patient slime, but said patience is not infinite. Shape up, or ship out," he says.

Pebbles nods, nervously. "You may go," Slivux says. "As for the rest of you... Welcome! We usually get our influx of students a month or two ago, so they have time to acclimatize before starting courses. Your applications and whatnot got a little screwy, so you came late, but we're still happy to have you. I know Strix gave a little welcoming, but I'd like to extend a warm pseudopod of friendship as well."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Chimera

Qrr-Sath nods once.

"It is appreciated."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Euraylia is as confused as anyone by the slime-professor’s initial appearance, but won over by the goo’s charm.

Without thinking about it, at what might well be Slivux’s merely metaphorical prompt, she extends her hand to shake an extrusion she seems to think is forthcoming.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Luther furiously takes notes in extremely tiny hand writing during the lecture and joins the others with the tiniest hint of sweat on his brow.

"Thank'ee kindly Professor, tha' were right interestin'! Ah can't wait fer the next one." Luther's eyes follow Pebbles out of the lecture theatre. "Were tha' lad alright? Seems fair strange to still be sleepin' at this hour."

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Euraylia is as confused as anyone by the slime-professor’s initial appearance, but won over by the goo’s charm.

Without thinking about it, at what might well be Slivux’s merely metaphorical prompt, she extends her hand to shake an extrusion she seems to think is forthcoming.
    Slivux takes a beat, but then extends, in his own words, a warm pseudopod of friendship. His grip is surprisingly firm, and doesn't leave behind any residue of slime or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Luther furiously takes notes in extremely tiny hand writing during the lecture and joins the others with the tiniest hint of sweat on his brow.

"Thank'ee kindly Professor, tha' were right interestin'! Ah can't wait fer the next one." Luther's eyes follow Pebbles out of the lecture theatre. "Were tha' lad alright? Seems fair strange to still be sleepin' at this hour."
    "Pebbles... He's gifted. Extremely so-natural born sorcerer of considerable power. But he's lazy. Born wealthy, born powerful, never had to struggle... He could be someone great, if he applied himself, but I don't know how to get him to do so," Slivux says. "I wasn't actually joking about shipping him out-if he hasn't done SOMETHING to improve by the end of the year, that's it. He's gone."

His head bobs a bit in a shake, and he continues. "Enough of that, though-you need not trouble yourself with faculty concerns. I know that catching up when the others have already gotten their courses figured out will be difficult, but I have strong faith in you all. Cale, I see you've expressed interest in... Well, just about everything! While your enthusiasm is noted and appreciated, I think you should try to narrow your focus down a bit. I can help with that. Qrr-Sath, from what we know of you, you're more a physical man than a mage. I would recommend you spend some time in the Gardens-our Doctor Birch is an excellent source of advice, and you might be interested in the Oaken Speakers as well. Euraylia, I think you should speak with Volgrazuth-owing to your, ah, situation, I think she would be most helpful. And Luther, I'd make your way to the Stadium. Talk to Strix and LeTem-you've already met Strix, and LeTem is our local cheerlead for the sporting events. She's a dancer by habit and nature, and I think with just a little persuading, you could get something more than just propping up the sports teams to happen."

"Don't feel you have to follow my instructions-I'm merely offering advice here. But if you do listen to the words of an old slime, I think you'll do well-though that might just be my bias speaking."

Show
    Splitting the party! I've made a thread for each of you, assuming you follow Slixuv's advice. If not, I can edit.

Cale's Journey
    Qrr-Sath's Journey
    Euraylia's Journey
    Luther's Journey
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-09-26 at 10:06 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Chimera

Qrr-sath nods awkardly, this is all much out of his element, but if the professor says he needs to go to this grove and speak with this man, then that's what he'll do. Far be it from himself, truly a "More Physical Man" to decide the best way to elarn magic of all things.

I shall follow your advice, professor."

He says in a gruff but non-confrontational tone, and nods before wavin ga n awkard hand of goodbye to the others and setting off.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Luther sighs inwardly about Pebbles and resolves to very much let him be someone else's problem.

"Much obliged professor, I'll go t'stadium now."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

There’s a flash of shame and awkwardness in her cornflower blues as Slivux alludes to her “situation”, but since no one picks at it, she takes the chance to nod with subdued enthusiasm.

"I’ll go see her right now. Thanks, Professor."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Following the path back, first to Volgrazuth's office and then toward the student accommodation, Euraylia began to doubt. For a start, 'Volgrazuth' doesn't sound like a dwarven name. But maybe she doesn't know much about dwarves and it is? Maybe she should have been more evasive about the nature of her patron. Iyanairah would be furious if whatever the dwarf has planned is presumptuous or interfering. But then again, Euraylia came here hoping to gain the knowledge to meaningfully oppose her - how could that work, if someone here didn't have the knowledge she was banking on to succeed? Elements of the encounter continued to make her uncomfortable without resolving into a complete formatted reason why it made her uncomfortable; and she dwelled inside her own head, eyes down on the path until a towering shadow blots out the sun and she looks up.

A golden furred bugbear is the sun-theif; though by no intention - the Aasimar had been walking with such convicted brooding she almost collided with him. In an almost imperceptible moment, she banishes her expression of self-doubt and replaces it with a countenance of radiant kindness.

"Qrr-sath!" She says, her accent torqueing the name's pronunciation noticably, but not disagreeably. "I guess you were assigned a... an academic guide, too? Mister Birch, right? How'd it go?"
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-28 at 05:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Chimera

"I'm done already, yes. It was informative. I received some sound advice on keeping my movements down to only the required levels."
    He decides pointedly NOT to bring up his encounter with Ka-We. He smiles awkwardly at her.

"how was your one on one? Was it helpful to you?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

“Ah…” she begins, falling into step beside him, clutching her notefolder to her armorer chest, and glancing skyward thoughtfully. “I don’t know yet. I think so. I hope so. The staff at this place certainly seem… interested in our little group of latecomers. I hadn’t imagined the experience here would be so… personalised.”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-29 at 04:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    “Ah…” she begins, falling into step beside him, clutching her notefolder to her armorer chest, and glancing skyward thoughtfully. “I don’t know yet. I think so. I hope so. The staff at this place certainly seem… interested in our little group of latecomers. I hadn’t imagined the experience here would be so… personalised.”
    He pauses and looks at her, a frown on his face.
    "I don't think it is normally. Something feels... he waves a hand in the air "...Off about this. Is it me, or are you getting the feeling that maybe we weren't brought here just to learn magic? Maybe they picked us late ones up for something else?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Her expression darkens to a near frown, then she shakes her head and smiles again in a halo of electrum blonde waves. “We’re probably just being paranoid. It’s the first day. We don’t know anything. It’ll probably all make sense when we’re a few weeks in, and we’ll feel dumb for having thought it was a big deal.”

21. - Top - End - #51

Chimera

"maybe, but the monks always told me to trust my gut. And it's saying something isn't right"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

“…Well, we’ll have to talk to Cale and Luther. See if they have the same impression. If there’s something weird going on - well, it’d be good to watch each other’s backs. We’re all kind of alone here, except for each other.”

23. - Top - End - #53

Chimera

"might be nice regardless. I can only speak for myself, but I'm no dab hand at making friends. At least you folk seem nice enough."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

She looks at him with exaggerated empathetic woundedness. “Qrr-Seth! I don’t believe that for a second. You seem perfectly charming to me.”

It was the best kind of half truth; the kind that the hearer knows is half true, but can easily intuit the greater message of the statement: in this case, that whatever Qrr’s trouble making friends before, Euraylia herself is perfectly willing to begin balancing the scales by offering her friendship. And then she is smiling again, looking up at the sky, and the jealous form of little Sosthenes gliding high overhead.

"Hey... D'you mind if I ask you something that's going to make me sound ignorant?"

Then, presuming no strenuous objection:

"What manner of creature are you? The realm I come from hasn't anyone who even looks like you. We barely even have elves, and I'm given to believe they're just about common in the big wide everywhere."
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-29 at 04:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Chimera

Qrr chuckles, a deep and warm sound that shakes his barrel chest.
    He shakes his head with a smile.
    "It is fine, where I am from there aren't many of me either." he says still chuckling softly to himself.
    "I am a Bugbear, my friend. We are goblinoids, related to goblins and hobgoblins, our species thrives in tall mountains and thick forests, but I myself have not seen one in some time. Some people think us and our brother species as raiding and savage monsters, a prejudice that is not illfounded, but I think rather rude to apply to my race as a whole. After all, Im certainly not a raging mountain beast" the humor still remains in Qrr with that comment, clearly it's been very long since this has bothered him.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

"Well, I've read about goblins. And you sure don't look like one, even to be a cousin-race; but I guess I ain't the one writing the taxonomy of species." With Qrr taking her question in the light spirit it was intended, she lapses back into comfortable silence as they approach the student accommodation.

27. - Top - End - #57

You arrive where you left at the beginning of the day. Cornell is the only one in the main living area, idly perusing a book at the table.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Luther catches up to the other two just as they get back to the residence.

"Ey up! That were right peculiar. Ah thought it were gonna be about studyin' an' instead ah may have volunteered t' set up a dance show and or competition. Still, owt is better than nowt so they say. How'd yours go? Get sucked into extracurricular stuff like me?"

Luther goes quiet at the sight of Cornell, waiting to see how things stand after the last encounter and see what he's reading.

Show

Insight
    [roll]1d20+6[/roll]

Perception
    [roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2021-09-29 at 06:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    "Ey up! That were right peculiar. Ah thought it were gonna be about studyin' an' instead ah may have volunteered t' set up a dance show and or competition. Still, owt is better than nowt so they say. How'd yours go? Get sucked into extracurricular stuff like me?"
    Euraylia stares at him for a moment, smiling with bewildered good nature.

“…What?”

But then seems to catch up.

“Oh! Not exactly, but - a dance show, huh? What kind of dancin’?”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-30 at 04:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Cornell seems bothered by Luther's very voice. He grabs his studies, wordlessly, and moves back to his room.

Show
    Show

Show