New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Gentik Academy Of The Arts [IC]

Euraylia watches Cornell’s display of palpable distaste, and frowns a little as he retreats. She abandons on own question to Luther before he can answer, glancing back at Luther and Qrr with look that conveys ‘let me see if I can figure this out.’

She raps her knuckles on Cornell’s door, and begins the overtures of her intercession.

“Hey, Cornell? It’s Euraylia. You don’t have to, but you seem like - did you want to talk, maybe?”

Spoiler: Persuasion Attempt!
    Show
    (1d20+7)[9] with the ol’ Midday charm.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-30 at 04:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

The door opens. Cornell looks rather peeved, standing there. "A country bumpkin and an uncivilized mongrel walk into a room. Accompanying them, for some strange reason, is a young lady, who looks like she might have class. But then, one learns, that this 'lady'," he says with scare quotes, "is simply a cheater. Do not bother me again!" he finishes, slamming the door.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Qrr puts a hand on Euryalias shoulder.
    "Calm friend. Some people must maintain their prejudice and false superiority at all times lest their walls crumble. It is a painful state that only ones self can save you from." his voice is calm and steady, no anger at being called a savage, and no malice at the man in his words, just plain speech that holds true belief.

He turns his head to Luther.

"Dancing You say? These long limbs don't move to a rhythm much I'm afraid, but perhaps you could use some musical accompaniment? I have been told I have a deft hand for rhythm in the past."
    He says, patting the drums at his belt.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Blinking at the door slammed in her face, she remains shocked at the rudeness through Qrr's reassurance, before her left eye twitches, and she might be heard to utter in a hardline reversion to an accent otherwise only hinted at in her normal speech:

"Boy needs t'be put in his place, tell you -hwhat-..."

She breaks off from her unrequited act of kindness, and turns her attention again to Luther and Qrr; but it's not hard to see the gears clicking away behind her eyes, planning... something in response to that rejection.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Luther smiles warmly at Euraylia's mimicry. He rolls his eyes at Cornell's antics.

"Well I don't right know yet. Any dancin' really. Maybe we could get folk to do bits of dance or song an' music from their homes, showcase diffrent cultures like? Maybe we could show that bein' a bumpkin or a mongrel ain't no bad thing, or at least 'ighlight 'ow ignorant some folk are about 'em." This last he addressed to Cornell's door.

"If'n any of you fancy gettin' involved I'd proper appreciate it. We could teach other folk the dances or songs if there's stuff yer don't fancy doin' on stage yerselves or need more bodies fer. LaTem is a great dancer and is well keen, I'm sure she can help us find other like minded folk. Somebody named Linda might be able ter help too. It ain't up Sytix's alley but they said they'd 'elp out if they can."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Qrr nods at that.
    "I would be more than willing to offer what help I can. It's certainly something to occupy my time with, and it sounds interesting enough."

7. - Top - End - #67

Gruk comes in. He looks at you all, and mutters a quiet "Just getting my books," and heads for his room.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Qrr waves with a smile but doesn't engage. Gruk seems like a nice sort, if quiet. That can be respected.

9. - Top - End - #69

Luther sees Euraylia simmering and makes placating motions to her. "Ent no sense lettin' 'im get to thee, he's neither use nor ornament. I don't understand what he meant callin' thee a cheater, but ah don't believe a word of it, no matter what's going on."

Luther joins Qrr in waving at Gruk.

"Ey Gruk, thou wouldn't be interested in a cultural.dance and music show that I'm accidentally puttin' on would thou? Or know anybody 'ou would?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

With both Luther and Qrr encouraging her to let it go, she lets it go.

Spoiler: Insight 17
    Show
    She absolutely has not let it go, and is planning… something.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-01 at 01:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Cale'Anon kicks in the door with his new mandated friend behind, "this is the room. Oh hey guys!" He says, waving to his roommates as he approaches

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Ah, friend Cale, how has your little journey been today?" Qrr asks with a wave to come join them.

13. - Top - End - #73

"None too good, apparently," Pebbles, who is Cale's new companion, says. "Already having a rough go of the learning."

As the door is swinging shut, you hear a faint "Yeep!" from outside. "Gerba, we are in public!" Arma says from outside.

"And...?" you hear Gerba say, before she opens the door. You see Arma adjusting her pants as the two walk in.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Qrr purposefully ignores the obvious awkwardness over their, and turns to examine Pebbles
    "Ah, I see our friends path has crossed with yours! It's nice to formally meet you. I am Qrr-Sath True-Bear, it is good to make your aquaintance."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The Aasimar's eyes flick to Arma and Gerba's not-inconspicuous entrance; the audible preable to which is sufficient to distract her from whatever remnant of brooding was within her mood. She gives the pair a smile that is fabricated to suggest she did -not- hear that preamble. Now with Arma, Gerba, Cale, Luther, Qrr, Pebbles and Euraylia in the main room, it begins to feel some what full. She crosses the room to open a window, and Sosthenes descends to perch on the sill and meet her. He offers an interrogative trill, to which she snorts once, then looks guilty.

"Hey, I think they might have answered this on the orientation day, but is there some kind of gymnasium, or training ground here? I've been so focused on mystical things I'm afraid I'm letting the martial stuff lapse."
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-02 at 01:11 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I think they mentioned something like that, would you mind a bit of sparring? I haven't had the privellege of fighting someone versed in heavy weapons and magic before. It seems like a good opportunity to expand my horizons and loosen some muscles. And perhaps we might let out som e aggression while were at it." As he says this he stretches his long arms and offers a sharptoothed grin to the others.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

This piques her interest, and she returns Qrr's toothy grin with a mischievous, lopsided one of her own. "Sounds alright. There's a little bit of day left yet; might as well spend it getting our butts whooped. Who's up for it? Or at least to come by and watch?"
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-02 at 01:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

"Yes please," Arma says. "Too many folk here keep it all up here," she points to her head, "and not enough motion!"

Pebbles declines with a shake of his head. "Some of us have more brains than brawn, you know."

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Luther's eyes widen as Pebbles enters their room and the smile he was directing at Cale falters slightly. Then Euraylia and Qrr throw him a wonderful lifeline.

"Ah'd been thinkin' 'bout what you both said earlier about takin' a punch. May'ap you lot can 'elp me wi' that. If not, tha' footwork LaTem showed me might help me avoid it. What about the rest of ye?"

He pretends he is momentarily deaf and blind in regards to Germa and Arna's affections, that had worked qell enough at home, but includes them and Pepper in the invitation.

"'Ere Pepper, has thou ever tried practical spellcastin'? Ah found me grasp of Shield got way better wi' the threat of a clip round the lug'ole. Brains do well wi' proper encouragement like. Don't have to get up close an' personal."
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2021-10-02 at 06:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Luther is not wrong. Many a mage has made a breakthrough in their methods when a fist is whirling at their head."
    Qrr then fetches his quarter staff from his room and returns to the others.

"Shall we be practicing with weapons and magic, just weapons, or just our fists? I warn you that I have an advantage "bear" handed." Qrr can't help his laugh at his own little joke, even if the others don't have the context to catch it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"I mean... most of us are competent healers, I think; and we're not so prideful not to know when to say we're licked. I had an instructor who used to say 'train for the fight you want to survive'. I trust y'all not to go for the throat with live steel and spellfire."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"good advice. The monks had a similar saying: practice as you plan to fight. The number of times I have had my boned reset because of that philosophy has taught me many lessons over the years. Chiefly, that bones being broken is not enjoyable."

23. - Top - End - #83

Arma says "They've got a bit of a procedure for duels here. Usually happens in the Stadium, and is till first hit, first blood, and technically, death-though that last one hasn't been done that I've heard of in recent memory, at all. Won a fair few of these myself-and I've whooped a half dozen people at once with Gerba helping out."

Gerba blushes, just a touch. "Thanks. It helps that the duels allow a minute or so to cast your spells before you start."

Pebbles rolls his eyes, but says "I guess it'll fun to watch."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For these duels, first hit would be whoever lands a hit at all. Not commonly done.
    First blood is first to half HP.
    Death is, well, death.

I have just statted up Arma and Gerba for a four-on-two, if you guys want. :)

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"I'm not incredibly used to prep-time, but it does sound like a good thing, even if it's not normally the case before a combat. Though I would say we should likely try till first blood, I should think the faculty might be unhappy if we were to kill each other so soon after our arrival."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"Sounds like a plan!" Euraylia moves toward the door for a moment, considering summoning a servant to lead them to the stadium - but Arma and Gerba know the way, so she slows halfway and offers a 'lead on' gesture to the pair. "I wouldn't dream of breaking up your team; but the rest of us can draw straws for partners when we arrive."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Unless one of you has a preferrence, I am good to work with anyone."

Qrr says as he cracks his exceedingly long spine and twists out a few knots in his shoulders.

27. - Top - End - #87

"Ah'm happy t' spar wi' anyone. Unless you two old hands want t' put us'ns through our paces?"

Luther appears a little nervous at the prospect of first blood clearly his self-directed training was less brutal than the others' instruction. Despite that , he drops off his notes from earlier and gets ready to head back to the stadium with an air of excitement.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Young bloods vs old guard sounds like great fun to me!

28. - Top - End - #88

Arma takes point, clearly looking forward to this. Gerba seems to be mulling something over, but whatever it is, apparently her decision doesn't lead her to say anything. And Pebbles follows along, hanging by Cale.

"Partners? I don't think I was clear," Arma says as you all walk. "All you against me. Who knows, maybe I'll be the one getting my butt kicked today-but given the general caliber of newer students, not so sure."

You arrive at the Stadium. Luther, who was there earlier, sees a few less people-mostly just individuals, rather than teams now. Strix is helping someone stretch, but does give a wave. Once they're done helping, they head over. "Good to see you all! Pebbles, you finally gonna join a sporting team?"

"Nah," he says. "Just want to watch some fighting."

"You're always welcome if you change your mind. So!" Strix says. "Did someone offend someone else's honor, and you're settling it with a duel? Or are we just doing it for fun?"

Arma chuckles, and says "They were talking about sparring, and one thing lead to another..."

"Of course, of course. Arma, you know how to set up-I'll explain the procedures to them," they say. Arma heads to a coiled red rope, and begins to lay it out. "The duels here are simple-you'll fight to first hit, or first blood. Arma favors the blood, but don't feel you have to. Since there are multiple participants, you are out the moment you get bloodied or hit-no more interfering from then on. And, something that those who favor casting over combat have instituted, you get one minute before the match starts to cast your spells on yourself-but NOT your opponent. That includes countering anything they do-not allowed till the minute is up. Any questions?"

If there are none, Strix leads you to where Arma has finished laying out the rope. It's set in an 80' diameter circle. "This is where the fight is done-no leaving the circle unless you want to forfeit," Arma tells you. "We can start at opposite ends, or one group can be in the middle and the other on the edge."

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Euraylia nods along, eyes steeled with the intensity of competition. She keeps her eyes on Arma, but glances to Strix occasional so not to be mistaken for truly distracted. She asks, as her hands migrate to hook thumbs in the band of her belt near the whip and morningstar on opposite hips. "What's the rule with, ah, alternate forms, and suchlike? If someone polymorphs into some kinda beast, does that beast's first blood count? And while I'm asking, familiars - do they retire from the battle when blooded, or not count at all?"

Beyond those questions, the blonde looks ready to rumble; the very tip of her tongue bit visibly between her pearly teeth in some kind of artefact of her concentration, her plans of action spooling up behind her eyes.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Qrr cracks his kuckles and stretchesn for a few moments, before touching his focus and muttering a spell, his body seems to thicken and his skin almost seems to take on a leathery quality as he casts Enhance ABility: Bears Endurance.

Spoiler: Temp HP
    Show

(2d6)[5]

"Are we allowed to activate spell like abilities before the combat? And is there healing allowed while inside to avoid being bloodied?" as he asks, his eyes are locked on his opponent, and to the observers eye, it almost looks like Qrr has already shifted forms, as he takes the heavy, swaying posture of a bear on two legs, his long arms swaying and increasing the illusion.