New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gentik Academy Of The Arts [IC]

Luther'ssharp ears catch Pebbles's reply and he can't help but respond.

"Fer not gamblin' or fer takin' enjoyment in somethin' fer its own merits? Wi' the latter I can't help thee, soft in't head if'n thou can't do tha', but here's some perspective fer the former.

Ah could cast Find Familiar, got the materials, but I ent. Fifty days wages they're worth, hard graft an all, so I can't risk it 'til ah know it won't get wasted. Ent fair on me family what worked so 'ard tha' ah could 'ave it. Hence waitin', hence watching what others do wi' their familiars. What little ah got is too precious t' risk. The materials are also o'er double the worth o' what I got left, so what exactly could I use t' bet in first place? Seems like common sense t'me, not foolish"
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2021-10-07 at 09:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Euraylia submits herself lambishly to Engle’s ministrations, and comes away with a new lease on life. She thanks the healer, and begins paying attention to the group again; though first her eyes go by way of Gerba and Arma. She wonders about the thing Gerba said - something about a reward, truncated by Arma’s hushing - but she decides not to pick at it. Instead, she chimes in a beat late to Luther’s remarks about finding a familiar.

“They’re certainly helpful to me. Thought my particular training means I get more out of them than most casters do. But they’re neat as hell out of combat, and a fine little assistant in a scrap. Soft as soup, though.” She scritches Sosthenes’ neck. “Aren’t you? Soft as soup.”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-08 at 07:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123

Luther listens attentively to Euraylia.

"Tha' point where thou turned 'im invisible was really impressive, didn't e'en see the casting. Mist be great for keeping 'im safe. Can anyone train up t' do it?"
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2021-10-08 at 06:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

She pauses, her lips moving and betraying the possibility that she's holding something back, before giving Luther a warm smile and at least a half-truth. "Wish I could claim I was that good. That's all him. But only the real clever ones can do it."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

Pebbles shrugs. "To each their own, I guess."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think that's about wrapping up time for this scene-but where would you like to go from here?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Yes! Let none underestimate the unstoppable valor of Cale'Anon Vaty!" He says, swinging his sword to write his name in sparkling light using a trivial illusion, adding 'and co' to the end with one swing "still, you put on a good show yourselves, you showed that we have much to learn yet too"

7. - Top - End - #127

Luther nods at Euraylia, thinking he understands. "Oh, so e's like a magical bird thou bonded wi' rather than a conjured spirit? Tosca apparently did summat similar wi' a winged cat. Must be scary though, I didn't think it were possible t' bring 'em back if they get killed?

Too right Cale. Ah've a spell tha' hurts folk if they move. Ah reckon it'd work right well wi' thou's fire spell."

Show
    Just wanted to follow up with a bit more questioning for Euraylia

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"No, he's... Well, he's a special familiar. Different familiar spirits have different capacities. I knew a guy who had a familiar that he manifested as a dragon he could ride! Compared to that, invisibility is a..."

The blonde gesticulates, intones some verbal components, winks, then snaps her fingers... And she's gone. Sosthenes caws, looks up at Luther accusingly, and then also vanishes. The faint chff chff chff and shh shh shh of boots on grass and chain mail hissing off itself suggests she's making her retreat back to the student accommodation. Why, she's just so playful and flippant. Never mind her.

Spoiler: Deception because HAHAHA IM JUST SO SILLY YOU GUYS
    Show
    (1d20+7)[9] to come off as pleasantly wacky, and not at all suspicious. You can decide if your character buys it.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-09 at 07:21 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Luther looks on after Euraylia's strange departure for a few seconds, highly confused and slightly worried for her.

"Were that right strange t' anyone else? I 'ope she's alright...Any 'ow, ah'm famished, let's get some tea."

Show
    Insight:
    (1d20+6)[13]

10. - Top - End - #130

You head back to your rooms in high spirits. Marly is there, working on some books, and when you tell her about your victory, she smiles broadly. "Awesome! That's... Really impressive."

"Yeah-I need to train harder. Getting too complacent," Arma says.

"Well, I hope you don't mind, Arma, Gerba, if we celebrate a bit?" Marly asks.

Arma shrugs, and Gerba says "It's a mark that we're respected that it's worth celebrating a victory."

Marly grins again, and says "Great! Let me see who else wants to join!"

She gathers Rodriguez, Gruk (who looks a little nonplussed, but is willing to go along for a bit at least), and does the polite thing by asking Cornell. He refuses. You head for the main dining area, and on the way, run into LeTem. She asks Luther "Where you all going?" and when you explain, she thinks a moment. "Hells, I've got nothing to do right now. Mind if I join you for some of the celebrating?" You accept, as new friends (or reinforcing friends, in Luther's case) is hardly a bad thing. Luther and LeTem explain how they met, when Luther went to the Stadium to see about working up a dancing event.

In the main dining hall, you're able to request just about anything your heart and stomach desire. You cavort and party, eating good food with good friends, for a few hours. Gruk leaves about half an hour in, with a simple "Thanks for inviting me."
    Rodriguez, meanwhile, leaves about an hour after Gruk. Birch came to collect him, saying there was something important he needed Rodriguez for.
    And Pebbles leaves maybe five minutes after that, with no explanation.

When the festivities are winding down, and you four are the last remaining people from your group there, you decide to head back together. You feel a little bloated, having had perhaps a touch too much to eat, and perhaps even a bit drunk, if you decided to imbibe in alcohol. You start walking back.

Spoiler: Euraylia
    Show
    My dear... you hear your grandmother's voice in your mind. I applaud your victory today. I would have asked this earlier, but I care for you. I wanted you to enjoy your celebration. But Rodriguez and Birch remain busy, with their... Oh so important task. You should ask them if they need help.

Spoiler: Qrr
    Show
    You look up, at one point, for whatever reason, and see Ka-We. He looks disgruntled, but waves to you, gesturing that he needs to talk.

Spoiler: Cale
    Show
    Given what Slivux said, you did keep an eye on Pebbles. You find it a touch suspicious when he left, especially without a word given how social he was earlier.

Spoiler: Luther
    Show
    You had a real nice time.

Spoiler: Perception DC 17
    Show
    There's a cat in the rafters above you, waving down to your group.

Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    Wait, no, just waving at Qrr.

Spoiler: Insight DC 14
    Show
    Pebbles seemed really focused on something when he left.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Qrr nods and politely excuses himself. Following the feline professor cautiously but with a clear head, he has of course, had nothing to drink.

12. - Top - End - #132

Luther has had a wonderfully jolly evening. Between the victory and excess of food and drink on offer he's been quite giddy. He's put away three or four pints of bitter, normally only having at most a pint or two if drinking at all, and he is definitely feeling it. He tried to talk theology with Gruk before he left, laughed heartily at everyone's jokes and stories, and by the end of the evening had begun recreating moves from the fight to show LeTem. He hadn't quite reached dancing on the tables stage at least.

As they wander back Pebbles's exit sticks in Luther's mind.

"'Ere, did anyone else notice tha' Pebbles lad leavin' wi' a proper bee in his bonnet? Wonder what tha' were about? 'E seems an alright sort, far better 'an tha' Cornell and no mistake. Ah 'ope ah didn't get on the wrong foot wi' him earlier. Should ah go find 'im and set things right?"

Show
    He's certainly tipsy but not steaming drunk. Con save if required:
    (1d20+1)[3]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Euraylia flinches as Luther speaks, as if he startled her out of some reverie; and for a fraction of a second those cornflower blue eyes have the aspect of huntedness to them. But she shakes her head, as if clearing unseen cobwebs and also responding in the negative to Luther's comment.

"I didn't see him leave. But there's definitely something off, with him; he clearly both wants to be here, but can't muster himself to the study. Maybe he's losing his sleeping hours doing something unproductive. He was dozing off in class, right?" She reaches over to give Luther's shoulder an encouraging squeeze. "You're a patient guy, Luther. If anyone can help that kid out while sidestepping his attitude, it's you. I'd go with you; but I remembered I have to ask Doctor Birch something and it'll keep me up if I don't. Gonna see if I can find him before it's light's out. You boys were amazing today!" She takes off at a jog toward the nearest bank of servant runes, turning in her stride to backpedal and reconfirm with a radiant grin. "Amazing!" And with that, she skips off into the night, leaving Cale and Luther to wander home without her.

Spoiler: Deception:
    Show
    (1d20+7)[8] Deception to run out the half-truth that she 'forgot to ask' Birch something. She's be failing her deceptions pretty hard, so if she beefs this one, I'm confident saying she's been acting suspect enough for anyone who cares to confront, conspire or take some kind of action.

...Then conjures up a school servant, and asks it to take her near to Doctor Birch - or his office, if they can't track individuals. When no one can see her, she allows her smile to melt away.

I'm doing it. I'm going right now.

14. - Top - End - #134

Qrr begins to follow Ka-We, who has so far avoided the notice of anyone else.
    Euraylia finds herself following behind Qrr, as the servant appears.
    Luther and Cale recall seeing Pebbles get a servant to go to the Gardens, which is where the others are heading.

Those of you who did not notice the cat are a little surprised when a large orange tabby drops from above, looking exasperated as only a cat can. You then hear him speak, in all your minds. Really now? Really? You're all involved in this? Well, I suppose there's nothing for it...

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"What's going on professor? Does this have to do with what you said before? "
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-10 at 10:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

I'm not a professor, Ka-We says. But take a wild guess, Qrr. And word of advice? Hurry.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Hurry with what? What in Tuloks grungy undergarments is going on here Ka-we? And why on earth are you trying to get newly admitted students to solve a problem that's obviously a serious issue? You said you weren't sure who could be trusted, so why trust me? You know even less about me than anyone here."

Qrr paces now, face pinched in concentration

"if I can help you I want too. But I've no head for puzzles and riddles. Speak plainly so that I can help you."

18. - Top - End - #138

Luther is startled by the sight of a talking cat and pinches himself to make sure he hasn't drunk even more that he thought he had.

"What on earth is goin' on 'ere? Euraylia's bin actin' strange enough an' now thou's chattin' t' mysterious talkin' cats Qrr? Ah'll 'elp if someone needs it like, but I'd like a clue what we're gettin' into at least!"

Show
    Insight for Euraylia
    (1d20+6)[19]

19. - Top - End - #139

Sighing, Ka-We takes a moment to collect himself. He appears absolutely loathe to speak plainly-but the situation has forced his hand. Birch's current project leads to what is thought of as a new plane-it's not. The one who uplifted me, the Archmage Dreln, he continues, sounding actually respectful of his old master, worked closely with Genos, who founded this academy. Genos vanished, early in my life. This is where he vanished to-or, at least, that's what Dreln thought. He spent a long time trying to find Genos, before he passed. He didn't find much-but what was found is something everyone will want. This... This place has such a vast reservoir of magic and resources that it will turn Gentik from a place of learning, where the outside kingdoms will try to barter with or coerce occasionally, to a warground the likes of which you've never seen before.

This is my home. I will not stand for it to be done away with,
    he says, sounding determined and worried.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Birch is opening Pandora's box and he doesn't even know it." Qrr asks, his eyes widening.

"You want to stop the Academy from being destroyed by warring forces. And guessing how "secret" secret information stays, others know of this already or at least suspect it. They're probably already here, hunting. Spying. You need to stop them and possibly Birch too..." Qrr trails off as he rubs his chin.

"That still begs the question why us? Why not others who feel as strongly about this place as you do? And perhaps more importantly, how can I help?"
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-10-10 at 11:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The situation develops much faster than Euraylia can keep up with. Suddenly they’re all here, but before she can defend herself from Luther’s wild, wild accusations, Ka-We blows the lid off something bigger. But was she being led here to help open the way to this realm, or thwart it? She couldn’t know - but she knew the way the wind was blowing, and that would have to count for something even if ‘the right thing’ couldn’t be enough in its own.

“Well, Hell’s Bells, Ka-We! Why are they gonna believe us over Doctor Birch? And over you? You and Birch clashed over this already?”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-10 at 12:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Luther clutches his head, now regretting the excesses of thr fight and after party both. He stares at the cat for a moment, trying to judge if he is being genuine with them.

"Oh no! We're gonna be expelled after this fer sure. Ugh, still, nowt t' be done I suppose. Ah'm pretty much here t' try an make the world better wi' magic, might as well start at 'ome. I 'ope this ent why Arma is 'ere, though ah'm pretty sure it's why Pebbles is.

Point us in the right direction Ka-We an' we'll do our best."

Show
    Insight:
    (1d20+6)[21] minus (1d4)[2]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Cale'Anon was enjoying himself at the party, drinking and eating and feeding his little weasel familiar from his own plate, telling tales he learned from the circus he grew up in, but when he spots pebbles slinking off he excuses himself, and goes to check out what pebbles was doing, trying to not look suspicious himself while he does so

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Euraylia hears Luther fortelling expulsion, and frowns as she allows that real possibility to take root in her imagination. But quickly resigned to it, she nods, and reaches over to give Luther’s shoulder a squeeze.

As she does, a gentle ripple of benign power radiates out from the touch, warms him, then fades with clarity in its wake.

Show
    Spending 5 points of Lay on Hands to cure poison!

25. - Top - End - #145

Spoiler: Insight DC 19
    Show
    Ka-We is being honest. Details left out are likely more a matter of time than anything else.

You pick up the pace, leaving the summoned servant behind as Ka-We takes the lead. Soon, you're entering the Gardens, which are right now lit by gentle moonlight. As Ka-We leads onwards, you see the occasional flash of what looks almost like lightning-but it seems to be coming from the ground, rather than up above.

Ka-We stops. Move carefully-there might be danger ahead.

Spoiler: Perception DC 5
    Show
    There's some trees.

Spoiler: DC 10
    Show
    And some bushes.

Spoiler: DC 14
    Show
    And Pebbles, hiding behind a bush, a decent distance ahead.

Spoiler: DC 17
    Show
    And Cornell, further ahead, perched in a tree.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Luther is jolted back to sobriety by Euraylia. Unfortunately, between this unusual sensation and unfamiliar surroundings, he can't see the dangerous secret demiplane for the trees.

"Ta Euraylia, tha's much better! Which way we goin', ah can't see nowt!"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    "Ta Euraylia, tha's much better! Which way we goin', ah can't see nowt!"
    She responds with a hushed voice.

“Ain’t nothing at all. And you boys can call me Lia, if you’re lookin’ to spare a mouthful. But hey-”

She indicates with a pointed finger a bush a hundred feet or so up the way, and then at a tree another thirty or so in front of that. “Looks to me like Pebbles up there in that bush, and Cornell trying’ to be real clever in the tree ahead of him. Like they both snuck up to watch what’s ahead. They’ll spoil our approach for sure. Watch my body a moment; and touch me if something happens.”

The last sentence makes no sense initially, but then Sosthenes reminds everyone he exists as he glides silently past Euraylia’s shoulder, and vanishes from sight. As he does, the blonde hunkers down on the balls of her feet, and rolls her eyes up beneath fluttering eyelashes in surrender of her senses.

Spoiler: So Sneaky:
    Show
    Looking through Sosthenes’ eyes as he gets closer to see what’s up ahead, before risking a heavy armored stealth check! Lia will quietly relay anything she sees that needs immediate announcement verbally, but without her own hearing or sight for the moment she’s limited to receiving feedback from the guys in the form of some kind of touch to alert her.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-11 at 12:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Pebbles seems to be creeping ahead, slowly and stealthily. Cornell is occasionally looking back at Pebbles, and moves ahead only when Pebbles is somewhat nearer to him.

They do not seem to have noticed you.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"Damn..." She intones, eyes still fluttering in disassociation. "They're creeping forward real careful-like; maybe in cahoots, but obviously not welcome with whatever they're sneaking up on. I can't see what they're approaching at this range. I'll have to send Sosthenes without me."

Her eyes snap open as she abandon's the familiar's senses with her last mental command she can give while he's in 100 ft - go on ahead and find what they're sneaking up on, take a look at who and what's there, then come back to report as quick as you can.

"Alright. If we're gonna close the gap, we either gotta be sneaky or prepared to maybe lose our cover in a fight against two students more senior than us. I don't suppose anyone's got any ideas beside 'try to be quiet'?" She looks despairingly down at her chainmail.

30. - Top - End - #150

Luther scans about, trying to make sure they aren't ambushed whilst waiting for the scouting party to finish.

"Ah could make an area of Silence t' help us sneak? Could even be on those two if thou likes?"

Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[11]