New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default What would you do with extra arms?

My DM gave me a belt (more like a leather brace/suspenders) that lets me summon a pair of spectral arms as a bonus action for 2 min broken into rounds. It gives me advantage on athletics and they can be used to wield or hold things like my normal hands, but don't let me make extra attacks. Specifically, I cannot dual wield a greatswords or a greatsword and a dagger, etc. I might be able to wield a 2-handed weapon and a shield.

Other than piles of weapons, what cool things would you do?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What would you do with extra arms?

I'd ask about spell components...! ^.^

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin_of_Amber View Post
    Specifically, I cannot dual wield a greatswords or a greatsword and a dagger, etc. I might be able to wield a 2-handed weapon and a shield.
    You got cheated, son.

- Grapples!
    - Picking up disarmed items
    - Drawing/holding items (light source, potions, magic items, etc)
    - Drawing and reloading weapons
    - Spell components
    - Extra middle fingers
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I've looked at designed a race with four arms before. Since the extra arms by themselves don't give extra attacks, the best thing you can do is get an optimal loadout. So you'll end up wielding something like a rapier (or greatsword), longbow, and shield, all at the same time. Since the longbow requires two hands, that second hand can also act as a free hand for spell components, too. This allows you to benefit from a shield while also having ranged and melee weapons ready.

In short, a normal character with only two arms has to choose between sword'n'board, two-weapon fighting, or using a two-hander. A character with four arms can do two of those three at the same time, and TWF is probably the one you'll drop because it's not very good (though it does vary with your specific class and build; rogues like the extra attack).

Something else to remember is that you're not just limited by attacks, but also by number of item interactions. You can't draw more than one weapon on your turn unless you have the Dual-Wielder feat or the Thrown Weapon fighting style.

Other than that, though, it can be useful to have certain items already in your hand ready to be used, such as potions or wands. Grapplers also like having extra hands. In fact, you'll probably get the most mileage out of this by playing a grappler who can both go sword'n'board and grab two goons (or, you know, grapple four targets at once, if the battle isn't over by then). Since the belt gives you advantage on Athletics checks, the DM might be pushing you toward this as well, so do take full advantage of it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

MC into Astral Self Monk and you're 3/4ths octopi

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foolwise View Post
    MC into Astral Self Monk and you're 3/4ths octopi
    Change your race to simic hybric with grappling appendages to complete the set.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Pick up sleight of hand to pull off some sick juggling checks.

And get better at grappling/be a Thief with shield prof to Fast Hands whilst you sword and board.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

You can hold a greatsword, a shield and still perform somatic components without Warcaster feat.
    The trick is to be holding the greatsword as an item in one hand and the shield in the other, you benefit from the shield AC but can't use the greatsword until you summon the spectral hands
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    I've looked at designed a race with four arms before. Since the extra arms by themselves don't give extra attacks, the best thing you can do is get an optimal loadout. So you'll end up wielding something like a rapier (or greatsword), longbow, and shield, all at the same time. Since the longbow requires two hands, that second hand can also act as a free hand for spell components, too. This allows you to benefit from a shield while also having ranged and melee weapons ready.

In short, a normal character with only two arms has to choose between sword'n'board, two-weapon fighting, or using a two-hander. A character with four arms can do two of those three at the same time, and TWF is probably the one you'll drop because it's not very good (though it does vary with your specific class and build; rogues like the extra attack).

Something else to remember is that you're not just limited by attacks, but also by number of item interactions. You can't draw more than one weapon on your turn unless you have the Dual-Wielder feat or the Thrown Weapon fighting style.

Other than that, though, it can be useful to have certain items already in your hand ready to be used, such as potions or wands. Grapplers also like having extra hands. In fact, you'll probably get the most mileage out of this by playing a grappler who can both go sword'n'board and grab two goons (or, you know, grapple four targets at once, if the battle isn't over by then). Since the belt gives you advantage on Athletics checks, the DM might be pushing you toward this as well, so do take full advantage of it.
    A while back, I came up with a similar race. The relevant traits are below:

Polydextrous. You were born with four arms, and you've developed the coordination necessary to use all of them with manual precision. You can use your four fully-functional hands to manipulate objects, wield weapons, grapple creatures, perform somatic components, and so forth. However, armor must be specially tailored to fit your physiology.

Multitasker. You gain an additional free object interaction on your turn (see Other Activity on Your Turn in chapter 9 of the Player's Handbook).

Partial Defense. If you wear a shield while wielding a two-handed melee weapon, a ranged weapon with the ammunition property, or more than one weapon, the AC bonus provided by your shield is halved. If you wear a shield while more than one of the aforementioned conditions applies, you gain no AC bonus from your shield.
    That last "feature" is justified by the fact that gaining a +2 (or higher) AC bonus while being able to do GWM/PAM stuff is a bit busted for a racial trait. I suppose if I were to revise it today, I'd eliminate the last line; the worst you can get is halved shield AC.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin_of_Amber View Post
    Other than piles of weapons, what cool things would you do?
    I think I'd just hang around. (Seriously. Non-magical spider-climb. All the time.)
    Whatever else may be in their orders, a picket's ultimate responsibility is to die noisily.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Play a bard. Imagine the faces you could melt with a two minute solo, simultaneously wailing on both fretboards of a double neck guitar. Epic.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Cool suggestions so far. I'm a battlesmith, so I already had no issues with components/foci.

Here's a writeup of the rules I just got:

Harness of the Battle God
    Wonderous item (belt), (requires attunement)

As a bonus action you can summon a pair of spectral arms for a total of 20 rounds (2 min) each day. You can dismiss them at any time with no action.
    • While these arms are active you can use them as normal arms with the following restrictions:
    • They may not wield any weapon without the "light" property.
    • They can stabilize a "versatile" weapon as though wielding it in two hands.
    • They cannot be the second hand wielding a "heavy" or "reach" weapon.
    • You cannot benefit from both a shield and two-hand fighting during a single turn (choose which at the start of your turn)

*edited for better formatting

So it looks like my DM didn't give me a completely broken item. This does grant me versatility and it looks like I can use the arms to hold a shield while my real arms wield the heavy weapon. One question, if I have a free arm can I use two weapon fighting to grapple with my off hand? For example, even without the extra arms, can I attack with a shortsword then initiate a grapple attack with my unarmed strike from my empty off hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Play a bard. Imagine the faces you could melt with a two minute solo, simultaneously wailing on both fretboards of a double neck guitar. Epic.
    I'm an artificer, I think Bardificer is going to be the name of my new folk metal band.
    Last edited by Corwin_of_Amber; 2021-09-22 at 09:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Superior masturbation.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

14. - Top - End - #14

Most of the things already mentioned in the thread with a side dose of being a helluva good chef.
    It's time for a preemptive retaliatory strike.

Original online work - I've Been Reborn as a Dungeon Monster?
    Tvtropes

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

I am playing a cecaelia in a game. It's essentially Ursula the Sea Witch's octopus person race. The DM and I homebrewed a feat that gives more free object interactions per turn. Something that gave you two extra free object interactions might be fun.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I am playing a cecaelia in a game. It's essentially Ursula the Sea Witch's octopus person race. The DM and I homebrewed a feat that gives more free object interactions per turn. Something that gave you two extra free object interactions might be fun.
    Like a portable hole and a bag of holding
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Well, that was gonna be my answer. I could also accompany my cittern with drum and/or flute.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-10-01 at 09:19 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's great for spellcasting.

Being able to carry more groceries.

Can do 2 high-fives and 2 down-lows at the same time.

Being a better lover.

Painting and sculpting would be great.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Grapple up to 4 enemies at a time, and drag them through or hold them inside hazards (Spike Growth, Wall of Fire, Sickening Radiance, et al)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Grapple up to 4 enemies at a time, and drag them through or hold them inside hazards (Spike Growth, Wall of Fire, Sickening Radiance, et al)
    The extra grapples is definitely a perk.