New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ironglass Rose

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Ironglass Rose

The Ironglass Rose is a psionic monster that can be found here.

Is it just me, or does it seem under-CRed? It's got six tendrils, using its "breath weapon" doesn't interfere with its physical attacks, it's immune to the common weakness of plants, and while the PLAs don't seem to have too high DCs at-will augmented Inertial Armor for a +9 armor bonus when it already has about average AC for its CR means that it's ridiculously hard to kill with martials.

I suppose killing them with touch attacks or spells might make it easier, but between the abilities specific to an Irongrass Rose and the plant type benefits it gets by default it seems overtuned.

Am I correct about this?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ironglass Rose

If I'm reading it correctly, it has a 12d8+120 melee damage potential/round, plus 10d6 AOE force damage, plus 3d3 constitution drain, and all in one round. That's quite the insta-kill for, say, 7th level characters. On the other hand it would be quite vulnerable to debuffs like glitterdust, slow, grease etc. After a slow spell it would particularly suck. Not a well-balanced monster, for sure.
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2021-10-06 at 06:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

If we compare to a ten headed hydra the hydra have 2 attack more but no breath weapon (a normal ten headed hydra) and the attack would be 6d8+48 (for the rose) vs 10d10+50 so the hydra do more damage (on average 75 for the rose , 105 for the hydra) with some big difference first the rose is a good grappler with the damage 6d8+ 72 which is 99 on average, the constitution loss (so 3d3 which is 6 point point of constitution so hit dice *3 of loss of hitpoints) and the breath weapon. On the defensive capabilities the hydra recover more health for turn but take higher damage. It's true that the hydra could boost his damage up to the double (if they destroy the heads in the wrong way) but it's not easy , so for me the rose should have at least 1 point of CR more if we compare to a hydra
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    If I'm reading it correctly, it has a 12d8+120 melee damage potential/round, plus 10d6 AOE force damage, plus 3d3 constitution drain, and all in one round. That's quite the insta-kill for, say, 7th level characters. On the other hand it would be quite vulnerable to debuffs like glitterdust, slow, grease etc. After a slow spell it would particularly suck. Not a well-balance monster, for sure.
    Assuming the tendrils all hit and make the grapple checks... but yes, more than a bit overtuned. It's not just me then.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks fine to me at that CR, perhaps it's even too high? I think it really depends on how the fight against this would start and if it's getting any help. If it doesn't start right next to the party, it only has SR/PR 20 and the breath attack. You can pretty safely disregard the rest cause it's speed is 30 over land and it has no fly. Also just putting any kind of damage reduction 10 on the martial takes away a lot of it's offense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarvistic View Post
    Looks fine to me at that CR, perhaps it's even too high? I think it really depends on how the fight against this would start and if it's getting any help. If it doesn't start right next to the party, it only has SR/PR 20 and the breath attack. You can pretty safely disregard the rest cause it's speed is 30 over land and it has no fly. Also just putting any kind of damage reduction 10 on the martial takes away a lot of it's offense.
    Uh… it’s effectively got AC 33, it’s capable of using its tendrils in the same round as it lazers you in the face, SR 20 isn’t exactly that low for the CR… it’s CR 9, not CR 19, and spoiler alert: not every party is full of optimized full casters.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It looks fine to me? AC 33 is on the high side of stuff but I thumb it at about 13+ to hit for a dedicated melee character, and as said it's trivialized by flight

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The average AC at that level is 24. That's seven points higher than that. And that's not including its offensive capabilities.

In short, this is practically designed to kill the martials.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #9

Napkin barbarian : bab9+str7 (18base +2 levelup + 4 rage) +1mwk wpn +2charge/flank. I wasn't far off from the 13+tohit and that's withiut morale/luck/whatever bonuses from partywide buffs. AC33 is on the high side, for sure, I agree, but it's far from "only hit on a 20" territory. A party of 4 barbarian would probably kill it in 2-3 rounds... which means that the plant should get, worst case scenario, two full attacks.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler alert: most parties aren’t 4 barbarians either. And 18 base Str at level 1 is pushing it a little.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a bit tough to say, honestly. Compared to other CR 9 monsters it's nuts, but it's also true that a lot of monsters are significantly over-CRed (at least, as solo encounters). As a boss fight, it's not a terrible design... but the combination of really high AC and fairly high spell resistance means that I've definitely seen some parties that just wouldn't be able to scratch it, and if it focuses its damage intelligently it's very likely to kill a PC in a round.

Also, even if you did have the weird hypothetical four-barbarian party, at least two of them are probably getting grappled by opportunity attacks (15 foot reach and combat reflexes!) before they ever get there. Yes, a DPS-charger build can probably take it out in one pounce, but that's not a particularly persuasive argument in regards to CR since very little can survive that regardless of CR.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2021-10-06 at 09:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Spoiler alert: most parties aren’t 4 barbarians either. And 18 base Str at level 1 is pushing it a little.
    No, not really, 16+2 racial. 20 at level 1 would be pushing it, but a starting 18 on the main ability score for the role you want to take is the status quo. Tho I got to say my own experience is a starting 15+2 racial is much more common.

The 4 barbarian was a bit of a jibe, the party itself would of course be that much more effective with a diverse roster of classes, what with stuff like inspire courage or prayer or whatnot to make it even easier for the whole party to hit higher AC

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Also, even if you did have the weird hypothetical four-barbarian party, at least two of them are probably getting grappled by opportunity attacks (15 foot reach and combat reflexes!) before they ever get there. Yes, a DPS-charger build can probably take it out in one pounce, but that's not a particularly persuasive argument in regards to CR since very little can survive that regardless of CR.
    Or you let it charge you, then it gets one tentacley attack of, and he gets four full attacks in the face, but that's featurless room hypotheticals. I'd think you'd encounter it in a jungle, so there is some possibility it ambushes you.
    Last edited by ciopo; 2021-10-06 at 10:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Or you let it charge you, then it gets one tentacley attack of, and he gets four full attacks in the face, but that's featurless room hypotheticals. I'd think you'd encounter it in a jungle, so there is some possibility it ambushes you.
    Fifteen foot reach means that's still complicated -- it can charge in and hit you from fifteen feet away, then a five foot step still won't get you into melee with it for a full attack unless you've got a reach weapon. But yeah, it's hard to say exactly how it would go because terrain and exact party makeup are so variable. Still, it's a monster with some options, and there are a lot of reasonable party compositions that would have quite a lot of trouble with this thing at an appropriate level.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

And again, it's entirely possible for this to delete a PC so hard the party doesn't have enough left to Raise.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #15

I don't know what to say, I'm the most martial minded in my group , currently 9th level incidentally, and this thing only hits me on a 20 if I go for full combat expertise and I have barkskin/halo fo sand on, which I would against what looks like an obvious "bruiser", and that'd be because I would be engaging it on purpose to prevent it from going for the rest of the party, but otherwise it's not looking particularly out of line.

The point of comparison I have in mind are, because we had an encounter one session ago, greater air elemental, and by comparison this thing is slowish and grounded, giving us plenty of time to get buffed if we so wish to do, unlike the elemental that got what it takes to go for the squishies instead of me, the designated beefwall.

Granted, it was the warlock that carried the damage big time against the elemental, and it would be even more so against this dude, except for that SR, so bleh, but I'm not seeing this nice plant being that risky

I suppose it might be because I have the expectation that if the GM is pulling a web content monster, the players also have adeguate system mastery, too? I surely wouldn't use this moster against vanilla characters, so I concede that point

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I can pretty safely say if I threw this thing at the last ECL 9 party of 5 I DM'd, there would be one or more deaths.

Admittedly, my players are generally pretty low op.