New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

I am surprised at the lack (or archived status) of a WotR thread.

I am kinda the SLOOOOOWEST player imaginable, just now having unlocked my demon path on my hunter. I play on Core difficulty, and it has become quite a reload fest already. I guess when your enemy's main weapons do x4 the damage on a crit, combat can become VERY messy at times. I feel the game is fine so far, the only bug happening to me was the inability to charge on mounts in turn based mode. Well, that and occasionally loosing turns.

As you can see my first playthrough leans towards chaotic and evil, but I feel most of the evil choices of "imma kill you outright" or making people suffer who could be useful to you don't quite chime with me.

Spoiler: demon path
    Show
    Plus the kinda hamfisted approach of having an actual evil demon lead your flipping anti-demon crusade is mind boggling. I guess Gallifrey read the reports (from whom?) that you ripped apart a powerful demon witch and her summons because you touched the wardstone, and she is now scared of you.

I'll tend not to think about this too much and just roll with it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

Lol, I didn't know it was out.

Been busy- going to complete a redo of Kingmaker then will probably try it. I just don't like the system mechanics of the series, but I do enjoy the plot and options.

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    I am surprised at the lack (or archived status) of a WotR thread.

I am kinda the SLOOOOOWEST player imaginable, just now having unlocked my demon path on my hunter. I play on Core difficulty, and it has become quite a reload fest already. I guess when your enemy's main weapons do x4 the damage on a crit, combat can become VERY messy at times. I feel the game is fine so far, the only bug happening to me was the inability to charge on mounts in turn based mode. Well, that and occasionally loosing turns.

As you can see my first playthrough leans towards chaotic and evil, but I feel most of the evil choices of "imma kill you outright" or making people suffer who could be useful to you don't quite chime with me.

Spoiler: demon path
    Show
    Plus the kinda hamfisted approach of having an actual evil demon lead your flipping anti-demon crusade is mind boggling. I guess Gallifrey read the reports (from whom?) that you ripped apart a powerful demon witch and her summons because you touched the wardstone, and she is now scared of you.

I'll tend not to think about this too much and just roll with it.
    This game is incredible. I absolutely love it.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

My partner is playing it so I'm picking it up through osmosis essentially. He had to restart because he missed a companion early on (Tiefling Eldritch Scoundrel) who unlocks an area containing another companion (intelligent weapon) but he's getting back up to where he was.

Much like Kingmaker had the iconic barbarian (Amiri), this appears to contain the iconic paladin (Seelah). Two companions in particular looked interesting to me:

Spoiler
    Show
    A neutral evil Aasimar Life Oracle, and a chaotic neutral (trying to be CG) succubus ranger who is converting to Desna.

The Life Oracle is interesting as he apparently took up healing so that he can mend his... partners, if he... plays too rought. Needless to say he's a romance option.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Arueshalae is also notable for being I believe the only companion who's actually a canon NPC from the Adventure Path.

I also appreciated that Seelah's dialogue confirms that at least one of the other Iconics exists in the "Owlcat universe": Kyra.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I like this a lot. Which is good, because I've had to reload a lot. First because i wanted the secret ending so I had to restart the entire game. Then I bugged out the building part so I had to restart chapter 3 again. So far I'm about 35 hours of content in out of playing for nearly 160.

Crusade mode is eh. I like HoM&M well enough, but this could be balanced better, because mage generals are the bomb and can quite literally destroy an entire opposing army with one well placed fireball. But it works for me, so. And Pathfinder 1e is still as easily broken as ever. But i'm still having fun, so it must be doing something right.

Right now I'm playing as an Angel mythic path cleric of Iomedae. Gonna try romancing Arueshalae because she is adorable.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #7

I've played this a bit to get a feel for the game (and to wait for the first patches), now I think I'll start my "true" playthrough.

As with Kingmaker, I like it quite a lot but I'm not sure why. Story, characters and gameplay are all barely adequate when taken one at a time, but together they manage to make me want to keep playing it. More than the sum of its parts, indeed.

My character will be a pretty standard greatsword fighter, since the companions I like are more focused on range. I'll bring with me Seelah, Lann, Woljif and Ember. Camelia starts in the last spot, but I might ditch her if I one of the later companions interests me more.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Arueshalae is also notable for being I believe the only companion who's actually a canon NPC from the Adventure Path.

I also appreciated that Seelah's dialogue confirms that at least one of the other Iconics exists in the "Owlcat universe": Kyra.
    Sosiel the cleric comes from the original AP too, though he's not in a relationship in the PC version so he may be romanced by a male character.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I'm working my way through Kingmaker, but Wrath of the Righteous is next on my list.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh, I've been lost in this for the past week or so

I've been constantly respeccing my MC, and even brought along a mercenary to have a second build.

I'm in Act 4 right now, on the Azata path. Once you hit around mid Act 2 and onwards, you'll frequently find yourself running into enemies with grossly inflated stats and ACs of 50-80. Needless to say, dumping 200 unresistable damage via touch AC is making my kineticist the star of the show.

Specifically, I've had her go double fire for the energy composite blast, take Ascendant Element (Fire) to ignore fire resistance/immunity, and gone half elf with all the spell penetration feats to get past SR. Fortunately SR doesn't suffer the inflation of most other stats, but I plan to grab pure-flame infusion to ignore it anyway. Eruption and unraveling infusion have also been super helpful.

Story wise, I'm finding myself surprisingly fond of Regill. The hellknight is surprising practical and, you know, not a jerk.. just so long as you don't ask his advice on morale or discipline issues. Even then he tends more towards "harsh disciplinarian" than actively evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    My character will be a pretty standard greatsword fighter, since the companions I like are more focused on range. I'll bring with me Seelah, Lann, Woljif and Ember. Camelia starts in the last spot, but I might ditch her if I one of the later companions interests me more.
    Woljif can be built for either range or melee. The lack of armour doesn't actually hurt him much (because Archmage Armour combined with mirror image/displacement/etc. is incredibly strong) and he comes with the initial feats for a TWF sneak attacker already.

Plus, spell sneak attacks are a bit dodgy right now.

(Disclaimer: My reckoning of companion durability may be scewed due to playing Azata, and Life-Bonding Friendship making my party members effectively unkillable.)
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-23 at 05:03 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

11. - Top - End - #11

I recently started this. I've settled on a human cleric of Cayden Cailean. I'm not super familiar with Golarion so I'm loving all of the lore that is on display. It's honestly a really pretty game too.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I've been meaning to pick it up, but the last one took me nearly a year to complete, and I have even less free time these days, so I'm worried about actually ever finishing it once I start.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    I recently started this. I've settled on a human cleric of Cayden Cailean. I'm not super familiar with Golarion so I'm loving all of the lore that is on display. It's honestly a really pretty game too.
    Ooh, Cayden has a nice little bit. If you worship him, he'll slip you a magic beer before a certain big fight that gives some nice buffs if you drink it.

He also gets a mention on the Azata path. Though, as a cleric Angel is suuuuuper strong for you.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-23 at 05:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Needless to say, dumping 200 unresistable damage via touch AC is making my kineticist the star of the show.
    Does this game fix the way the Kineticist's burn ruined their hit points in Kingmaker? I had to stop playing because my character kept dying when he should just be unconscious.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Does this game fix the way the Kineticist's burn ruined their hit points in Kingmaker? I had to stop playing because my character kept dying when he should just be unconscious.
    It's working properly.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

I've been constantly respeccing my MC, and even brought along a mercenary to have a second build.

I'm in Act 4 right now, on the Azata path. Once you hit around mid Act 2 and onwards, you'll frequently find yourself running into enemies with grossly inflated stats and ACs of 50-80. Needless to say, dumping 200 unresistable damage via touch AC is making my kineticist the star of the show.
    It really is a monumentally poor design to throw enemies with ACs in the 50s against parties with attack bonuses of around +20 when they're fully buffed. The player is basically pigeon-holed into going into specific touch-ac strats to deal with them. It's fine if that's what you wanted to play, but if you wanted to play something else you're screwed. I've been playing straight fighter, and I can't tell you how many fights have just come down to me and the enemy only being able to hit each other on a 20. Staring at the screen for 5 minutes waiting to see who rolls more 20s is not good game design. You can't turn the difficulty down either, because then every other enemy just explodes with no difficulty at all.

The first 2-ish acts were fairly enjoyable to me. Since hitting act 3 the difficulty spikes and the sheer number of bugs are driving me away from the game. I lost about 16 hours of gameplay to bugs so far, and I don't think I have much enthusiasm to slog back through it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It really is a monumentally poor design to throw enemies with ACs in the 50s against parties with attack bonuses of around +20 when they're fully buffed. The player is basically pigeon-holed into going into specific touch-ac strats to deal with them. It's fine if that's what you wanted to play, but if you wanted to play something else you're screwed. I've been playing straight fighter, and I can't tell you how many fights have just come down to me and the enemy only being able to hit each other on a 20. Staring at the screen for 5 minutes waiting to see who rolls more 20s is not good game design. You can't turn the difficulty down either, because then every other enemy just explodes with no difficulty at all.

The first 2-ish acts were fairly enjoyable to me. Since hitting act 3 the difficulty spikes and the sheer number of bugs are driving me away from the game. I lost about 16 hours of gameplay to bugs so far, and I don't think I have much enthusiasm to slog back through it.
    Yeah, it's not great design. I have found that fully buffing is usually enough for full BAB classes to hit though.

Right now for Regill in act 4 he's got something like: BAB 14 + Dexterity 7 + Mythic Weapon Focus 4 + Weapon Training 5 + Enhancement 5 + Greater Heroism 4 + Inspire Courage 3 + Prayer 1 + Haste 1 + Outflank 4 = +48

So a fighter at least can hit fairly reliably. Rogues and witches can both apply effectively unresistable AC debuffs too, which really helps.

The later acts are notably more buggy though, definitely agree with that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Yeah, it's not great design. I have found that fully buffing is usually enough for full BAB classes to hit though.

Right now for Regill in act 4 he's got something like: BAB 14 + Dexterity 7 + Mythic Weapon Focus 4 + Weapon Training 5 + Enhancement 5 + Greater Heroism 4 + Inspire Courage 3 + Prayer 1 + Haste 1 + Outflank 4 = +48

So a fighter at least can hit fairly reliably. Rogues and witches can both apply effectively unresistable AC debuffs too, which really helps.

The later acts are notably more buggy though, definitely agree with that.
    I'm still early act 3, so a lot of that isn't available to me yet. Which hasn't stopped the game from throwing enemies with 50ac at me on a semi regular basis. Hell, you run into enemies with 40+ AC in act 2. I can buff my main fighter up to the point where he can semi-regularly hit with his primary attack...but iterative attacks are completely worthless. It's frustrating because one of the main draws of the genre (for me) is the sheer number of customization options you have for your character...but in this game it feels like most of them are a trap.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ooh, Cayden has a nice little bit. If you worship him, he'll slip you a magic beer before a certain big fight that gives some nice buffs if you drink it.

He also gets a mention on the Azata path. Though, as a cleric Angel is suuuuuper strong for you.
    Yeah, that buff was a nice surprise---completely unexpected but totally appropriate for the setting.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

A quick rather somewhat spoilery question regarding the quest 'on the cusp of the abyss'
    Spoiler
    Show

So I've just received this quest an it'll take about a week to gather my troops and begin it. However, this quest kinda feels like an 'end of the chapter' kind of quest, and I've got a lot still left to do. Is this quest safe to start when I can, or should I hold off until I've done everything else that's time-sensitive? Is it even safe to hold off on it, given that my path gave me the option to start it way earlier than normal?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    A quick rather somewhat spoilery question regarding the quest 'on the cusp of the abyss'
    Spoiler
    Show

So I've just received this quest an it'll take about a week to gather my troops and begin it. However, this quest kinda feels like an 'end of the chapter' kind of quest, and I've got a lot still left to do. Is this quest safe to start when I can, or should I hold off until I've done everything else that's time-sensitive? Is it even safe to hold off on it, given that my path gave me the option to start it way earlier than normal?
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are indeed at the end of the chapter. It should be okay to hold off, and I heavily advise you to do so.

Be aware that some of the time limited quests are not marked as such in the journal - Sosiel's in particular wasn't for me.

Spoiler: Hints for when you do progress that quest
    Show
    The area you'll be going to for it has an optional boss. You can actually fight said boss at any time during act 4 too so don't be afraid to walk away if you run into it, but I recommend a party member that can channel positive energy when you do fight it.

In the main area(s) for act 4, you are never told this but the main gimick of the area keys off of camera rotation.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

So you all may remember me complaining about the difficulty spike recently. It turns out I was victim of yet another bug where the difficulty changed itself from normal to unfair. I suppose that explains why every random mob suddenly had 50+ ac right at the start of act 3. Hoping it's fixed now.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Used all my money for Fire Ring for Ember for fireballs.

After Nenio's quest, switched with Ember.

Current team: Me, Ember, Seelah, Regill, Wendaug, Daeran
    Used to have Camilla but wanted Regill and Seelah.

Camilla was good at traps and restoring fatigue so it was costly (Wend is okay at traps due to Dex), but Regill rocks as a warrior.

Finally, ready to do Bug place.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

Camilla was good at traps and restoring fatigue so it was costly (Wend is okay at traps due to Dex), but Regill rocks as a warrior.

I love that ring. Daeryn frequently has nothing to do with his spell slots since his channel is so effective, and my wizard is a better buff bot than him. May as well chuck some fireballs.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

I've had Seelah levelling her Trickery skill. She's actually not too bad at it, thanks to her background.

And that ring is great, even more so once you get to high levels and it lets Ember cast hellfire ray one level lower than she'd normally be able.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-25 at 03:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    So you all may remember me complaining about the difficulty spike recently. It turns out I was victim of yet another bug where the difficulty changed itself from normal to unfair. I suppose that explains why every random mob suddenly had 50+ ac right at the start of act 3. Hoping it's fixed now.
    Well, I'm glad I didn't stumble into that bug. o_o

So far, I've been quite enjoying normal, since it's been free of the overly inflated enemy stats that Kingmaker had.

I've had Seelah levelling her Trickery skill. She's actually not too bad at it, thanks to her background.

And that ring is great, even more so once you get to high levels and it lets Ember cast hellfire ray one level lower than she'd normally be able.
    It gets even better in chapter 3 once you can buy that ring that lets her do more damage with fire spells. The only thing keeping her from being a walking nuke is the Spell Resistance that most enemies have, and even then she's strong. The only characters beating her out in my party are Lann with his hilariously fast machine gun bow and my greatsword fighter.

Surprisingly, though, there does seem to be a relative dearth of magical greatswords so far. I've found a relatively decent one after getting lucky against an optional boss in chapter 2, but otherwise I've mainly gotten axes and polearms. Guess that's to be expected with this game's enemy roster.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    It gets even better in chapter 3 once you can buy that ring that lets her do more damage with fire spells. The only thing keeping her from being a walking nuke is the Spell Resistance that most enemies have, and even then she's strong. The only characters beating her out in my party are Lann with his hilariously fast machine gun bow and my greatsword fighter.

Surprisingly, though, there does seem to be a relative dearth of magical greatswords so far. I've found a relatively decent one after getting lucky against an optional boss in chapter 2, but otherwise I've mainly gotten axes and polearms. Guess that's to be expected with this game's enemy roster.
    Let's see... apart from Finnean, who can be any weapon, there's a nice one for barbarians at the end of a quest in Wintersun during act 3. There's also a unique +3 Holy Greatsword in that area too, given by a certain blind NPC.

Blackwater has a really nice unique greatsword at the end too, but is a very difficult area (bring a companion with good Use Magic Device).

In act 4 there's a merchant with a unique +3 living bane greatsword in the main market area.

There's also a few +5 unique greatswords, but most of them are Trickster. The Blood Red Cleaver doesn't look to be, but I don't know where that one is found.

Focus on the effects over the the enhancement bonus - you can have Nenio or Sosiel toss a Greater Magic Weapon on it to bring the enhancement bonus up to par.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-25 at 11:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's see... apart from Finnean, who can be any weapon, there's a nice one for barbarians at the end of a quest in Wintersun during act 3. There's also a unique +3 Holy Greatsword in that area too, given by a certain blind NPC.

Blackwater has a really nice unique greatsword at the end too, but is a very difficult area (bring a companion with good Use Magic Device).

In act 4 there's a merchant with a unique +3 living bane greatsword in the main market area.

There's also a few +5 unique greatswords, but most of them are Trickster. The Blood Red Cleaver doesn't look to be, but I don't know where that one is found.

Focus on the effects over the the enhancement bonus - you can have Nenio or Sosiel toss a Greater Magic Weapon on it to bring the enhancement bonus up to par.
    Well, funny you should mention that, because just today my mythic path lead me to picking up a nice +1 greatsword with a 2d8 ice damage bonus. So I guess I'm set for now.

Can't believe I missed that Holy Greatsword, though! I've lost track of that blind NPC after a certain battle and thought I should just head back to civilization. Guess that means my decrees will get a few extra days to cook as I travel.

Also, putting unique greatswords on the trickster path is the ultimate troll move. I'm only slightly more mad than I am amused.

Finnean was actually my characters weapon for a while, actually. Sadly I don't think I'm near the point where I can increase his abilities yet, but I'm looking forward to see if he can take his former place again.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-09-25 at 03:06 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Finished a playthrough on an Azata Primalist. Near the end my MC was the only one really doing much work. I played up to the end of Act 1 on Core and then dropped it to Normal. I gotta tell you anything higher than Normal just seems tedious.

Anyways even on normal at the end there are some monstrous enemies in terms of AC. I had to use Ember to roast some with Hellfire ray but otherwise my MC was able to consistently hit and kill most things. Having +10 to hit and damage from an Azata superpower helps. Plus Finnean get upgraded to Brilliant Energy at one point which helps the ridiculous AC.

Overall very fun game. Used Seelah and MC as tanks, Lann and Arue as ranged damage, Woljif as melee sneak and then Ember as healer + buffer. Managed with just Ember because Aivu on the Azata path is something like a 17th level oracle in addition to being a dragon. His breath weapon does work near the end (26d10 sonic damage every 1d4 rounds).

Doing a demon kineticist run now. Its working pretty smooth.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Well, funny you should mention that, because just today my mythic path lead me to picking up a nice +1 greatsword with a 2d8 ice damage bonus. So I guess I'm set for now.

Can't believe I missed that Holy Greatsword, though! I've lost track of that blind NPC after a certain battle and thought I should just head back to civilization. Guess that means my decrees will get a few extra days to cook as I travel.

Also, putting unique greatswords on the trickster path is the ultimate troll move. I'm only slightly more mad than I am amused.

Finnean was actually my characters weapon for a while, actually. Sadly I don't think I'm near the point where I can increase his abilities yet, but I'm looking forward to see if he can take his former place again.
    Remember that demons all have Cold Resistance 10, so that 2d6 cold damage won't do too much.

It's not just greatswords. One of the things tricksters can do lets them get random uniques from Kingmaker, which includes all sorts of items.

The upgrade for Finnean is actually just after completing Wintersun. I believe it's either from completing the area, or from a random encounter that procs not long after.