New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Remember that demons all have Cold Resistance 10, so that 2d6 cold damage won't do too much.

It's not just greatswords. One of the things tricksters can do lets them get random uniques from Kingmaker, which includes all sorts of items.

The upgrade for Finnean is actually just after completing Wintersun. I believe it's either from completing the area, or from a random encounter that procs not long after.
    Ah yes, resistances. Dang. Even 2d8 is not too good against that. Guess I'll have to find that holy sword even more now. >_>

It has rocked against nondemons so far though, at least. Better than the low DC blinding effect on my previous weapon.

I did actually get that encounter right after that area, but its directed me to an area I don't think I can get to easily quite yet. Will have to check again next time I play.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    I did actually get that encounter right after that area, but its directed me to an area I don't think I can get to easily quite yet. Will have to check again next time I play.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it's sending you to Iz, then you won't go there until act 5. Finnean should be upgraded to a +3 Brillant Energy Heartseeker weapon now. If he isn't, and you've spoken to him in the inventory, then it's probably the quest in Wintersun you need to do.

Specifically, it's the Vengeance of Sarkoris quest you need to do. You'll be prompted to speak to Ciar at some point whilst in Drezen, and he'll set you on that quest. It also gives the fancy +3 furyborn greatsword that's great for barbarians.

If that doesn't upgrade Finnean, try heading to the temple of the good hunt. There's a a document you can find there which relates to him and might be necessary for his upgrade (but probably isn't).
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-25 at 05:10 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's sending you to Iz, then you won't go there until act 5. Finnean should be upgraded to a +3 Brillant Energy Heartseeker weapon now. If he isn't, and you've spoken to him in the inventory, then it's probably the quest in Wintersun you need to do.

Specifically, it's the Vengeance of Sarkoris quest you need to do. You'll be prompted to speak to Ciar at some point whilst in Drezen, and he'll set you on that quest. It also gives the fancy +3 furyborn greatsword that's great for barbarians.

If that doesn't upgrade Finnean, try heading to the temple of the good hunt. There's a a document you can find there which relates to him and might be necessary for his upgrade (but probably isn't).
    Spoiler
    Show

Quick note on this upgraded form. Brilliant energy is an awesome enchantment (basically makes all attacks touch attacks), but it makes the weapon incapable of hitting undead and constructs, so you'll want a backup weapon on you.

Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

On the topic of weapons. I really wish the game gave you someone who could make good use of glaives. Holy **** the glaives in this game are completely broken. It's a shame most players won't get any use out of them.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    On the topic of weapons. I really wish the game gave you someone who could make good use of glaives. Holy **** the glaives in this game are completely broken. It's a shame most players won't get any use out of them.
    There are two party members who use glaives.

Sosiel is one, thanks to glaives being Shelyn's favoured weapon. His initial build is bad, but if you get him heavy armour proficiency (his medium armour focus should be ignored as a dead feat, since he only has 10 dex) then he can easily take advantage of the excellent strength-oriented self-buffs on the cleric list. He can also get a huge amount of mileage from Domain Zealot, handing out massive attack bonuses or rerolls as a swift action (Impossible Domain for Community is a downright broken addition to this, because Guarded Hearth is super strong for boss fights).

The other is a Lich only companion. They also come with some some terrible feat choices but work quite well if you ignore their initial feats. (How bad? Tower Shield Proficiency and Weapon Focus: Glaive are completely incompatible.)

There's another lich companion obtained late in the game but who comes at a super low level. They can be specced basically however you want, including for glaives.

But yeah, there are some great glaives. I've been doing a high difficulty run with a battle oracle intending to go angel, and marching terror has been a godsend in the early game. There's a bunch of good scythes too.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-26 at 04:39 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

There are two party members who use glaives.

Sosiel is one, thanks to glaives being Shelyn's favoured weapon. His initial build is bad, but if you get him heavy armour proficiency (his medium armour focus should be ignored as a dead feat, since he only has 10 dex) then he can easily take advantage of the excellent strength-oriented self-buffs on the cleric list. He can also get a huge amount of mileage from Domain Zealot, handing out massive attack bonuses or rerolls as a swift action (Impossible Domain for Community is a downright broken addition to this, because Guarded Hearth is super strong for boss fights).

The other is a Lich only companion. They also come with some some terrible feat choices but work quite well if you ignore their initial feats. (How bad? Tower Shield Proficiency and Weapon Focus: Glaive are completely incompatible.)

There's another lich companion obtained late in the game but who comes at a super low level. They can be specced basically however you want, including for glaives.

But yeah, there are some great glaives. I've been doing a high difficulty run with a battle oracle intending to go angel, and marching terror has been a godsend in the early game.
    Well, I am aware of those first 2 companions you mentioned. The problem is that Sosiel is a terrible melee combatant, so he can't really make the weapons shine without heavy respeccing. I'm not sure how good/bad the other companion is since I am not going Lich or Aeon.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Welp, I ended up checking him again, and it turns out he has been upgraded. To a fantastic, albeit situational level. Think I'll be keeping him as my main weapon for a while now.

Wish the game would have given it a bit more of a fanfare, though. I had no idea he'd gotten better until you told me to look at him again. In a similar vein....

Spoiler: Spoilers for Daeran's quest
    Show

I had no idea that there were decapitated heads in my inventory until my character suddenly brought it up while helping with the investigation at heaven's edge. They just got lost in the sea of reagents and various merchant junk that I had collected by then.

If there's one criticism I have with the game so far, it's that it should really draw more attention to events like these.

Sadly, I think I encountered a bug relating to that certain blind NPC. From what I can tell you're supposed to be able to buy the sword from them in a certain location after their quest is over, but they've completely disappeared for me instead. I don't know if it just takes a certain amount of in-game time for them to reappear, but I couldn't get them to show up neither by resting nor by re-entering Wintersun.

Kind of a bummer, as a holy greatsword would have been a really cool addition to my character. :/
    Some sources do put that NPC as being in Drezen, though, so maybe they move there? I will continue keeping an eye out for them.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-09-26 at 05:38 AM.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I am aware of those first 2 companions you mentioned. The problem is that Sosiel is a terrible melee combatant, so he can't really make the weapons shine without heavy respeccing. I'm not sure how good/bad the other companion is since I am not going Lich or Aeon.
    He's actually not bad after you get a few more levels so he can wear heavy armour and start using Divine Power/Righteous Might/Eaglesoul/Frightful Aspect (Sorcerous Reflex is great on him). His base strength is decent at 16 and two-handed weapons thankfully don't need many feats to function.

EDIT I found an inherent bonus tome, specifically a +2 one for charisma. If anyone wants it, look out for the graffiti in Act 4 that requires a Lore (Religion) check. You must pass all 4 of the checks to do the unlisted quest that rewards the tome, so save before interacting.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-26 at 05:59 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

He's actually not bad after you get a few more levels so he can wear heavy armour and start using Divine Power/Righteous Might/Eaglesoul/Frightful Aspect (Sorcerous Reflex is great on him). His base strength is decent at 16 and two-handed weapons thankfully don't need many feats to function.

EDIT I found an inherent bonus tome, specifically a +2 one for charisma. If anyone wants it, look out for the graffiti in Act 4 that requires a Lore (Religion) check. You must pass all 4 of the checks to do the unlisted quest that rewards the tome, so save before interacting.
    There's one in pulala's fall for intelligence locked behind a pretty difficult puzzle. I went there on act 3, but I'm pretty sure that changes depending on your mythic path.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

There's one in pulala's fall for intelligence locked behind a pretty difficult puzzle. I went there on act 3, but I'm pretty sure that changes depending on your mythic path.
    Yeah, I've not been there on Azata yet so it's probably Act 5.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

His initial build is bad, but if you get him heavy armour proficiency (his medium armour focus should be ignored as a dead feat, since he only has 10 dex) then he can easily take advantage of the excellent strength-oriented self-buffs on the cleric list.
    Honestly I am torn between understanding that monk-dip tank builds are great, but feel very powergamey, and indulging the game's original balance with him.

Personally however I tend to position reach weapon users behind the enemy lines so I can focus his feats on his magic abilities (he is a cleric after all and not a tank like Regill) and on glaive offense.

Case in point, Regill's build is WILD but honestly weirdly enough works. I never had a Weapon Finesse dual wielding heavy armor user before, but oddly it works. He is not as easily killed by reflex saves, but touch attacks positively melt him. I am probably installing a respec mod for him (and Arueshalae), because their respective respecs only go down to 6th or 7th level.
    Last edited by Spore; 2021-09-26 at 07:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Honestly I am torn between understanding that monk-dip tank builds are great, but feel very powergamey, and indulging the game's original balance with him.

Personally however I tend to position reach weapon users behind the enemy lines so I can focus his feats on his magic abilities (he is a cleric after all and not a tank like Regill) and on glaive offense.

Case in point, Regill's build is WILD but honestly weirdly enough works. I never had a Weapon Finesse dual wielding heavy armor user before, but oddly it works. He is not as easily killed by reflex saves, but touch attacks positively melt him. I am probably installing a respec mod for him (and Arueshalae), because their respective respecs only go down to 6th or 7th level.
    Sosiel does work well in the second rank. Though once you have Greater Enduring Spells on him he doesn't tend to cast much in combat, so he gets more time to slap a buff on himself and go to town with his glaive.

Regill's build works even better if you put him in mithril full plate instead of the adamantine he comes with. Between the mithril and his armour training he can get his full dex bonus to AC, which also helps with the touch AC a lot.

Also, he has 13 str so he can take power attack instead of piranha strike. This allows cornugon smash, and hellknight 3 gets him Fearsome. I suspect this was intentional. If you go deeper into hellknight, he can grab a domain and Domain Zealot makes those waaaaay more useful.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

The thing that makes Regill amazing is that he gets smite on a dual wield build. Smite's bonus damage adds to the mythic ability that gives damage every time you miss. This gives him a damage minimum every round of 100 or so even if he misses every attack when smite is up. It's bonkers. It's almost worth making Seelah dual wield and giving her the same build.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-09-26 at 09:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

The thing that makes Regill amazing is that he gets smite on a dual wield build. Smite's bonus damage adds to the mythic ability that gives damage every time you miss. This gives him a damage minimum every round of 100 or so even if he misses every attack when smite is up. It's bonkers. It's almost worth making Seelah dual wield and giving her the same build.
    Seelah actually goes pretty naturally into dual-wielding. Specifically, with shield bashes.

She needs to use a belt to qualify for the later TWF feats though.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-26 at 09:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I've had the game for more than three weeks and found out that reading books can permanently empower your character.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarthArminius View Post
    I've had the game for more than three weeks and found out that reading books can permanently empower your character.
    Indeed. Luckily, you only have to read them, not actually collect them, so it's not too fiddly of a task. And luckily the bonuses are pretty minor, so it's not the worst to miss out on them.

That said, I just hit upon the only genuinely awful area of the game thus far.

Spoiler: Blackwater
    Show
    Good lord what a hellhole. It's not that you have to finish off everything in here with lightning damage or coup de graces, no, they give you plenty of wands and magical electricity weapons for that.

It's that everything has such a ridiculously massive amount of AC. The human enemies are fair enough, those are fun to fight, but all the demons are literally just nigh-unhittable tanks. Every single fight is turned into a massive slog by them. And even though their will saves are relatively low, they're not still not low enough to defeat reliably, plus of course they all have spell resistance, so I can't even use sleep spells and hexes on these guys with any decent degree of success.

Invisibillity has helped so far, but the only arcane caster in my party is Wolfrik, so slots are limited. And even then, it's not that much of a buff all things considered.

Thank god for Finnean becoming a brilliant energy weapon. He's the only thing keeping my sanity.

Effin gimmick dungeons. I'm this close to turning the difficulty down to Story for this area.

At least I got a pretty rad greatsword out of it. So that's cool.

I'll probably skip this area on future playthroughs unless they nerf it somehow. Absolutely not a good time. Whoever designed that place needs to step on a lego.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

>BLACKWATER<

I'll probably skip this area on future playthroughs unless they nerf it somehow. Absolutely not a good time. Whoever designed that place needs to step on a lego.
    They already nerfed it once.

That said, Hexes ignore Spell Resistance completely. If Ember was failing to Slumber something, it wasn't due to SR.

Fortunately SR doesn't really get much higher than that, so the two spell pen feats and mythic spell pen have made it not much of an issue since I got them up and running.

But yeah, those guys are not fun. Regeneration that's stopped by electricity damage should not be on something that's immune to electricity.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-26 at 04:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

That said, Hexes ignore Spell Resistance completely. If Ember was failing to Slumber something, it wasn't due to SR.

Fortunately SR doesn't really get much higher than that, so the two spell pen feats and mythic spell pen have made it not much of an issue since I got them up and running.

But yeah, those guys are not fun. Regeneration that's stopped by electricity damage should not be on something that's immune to electricity.
    I think they nerfed it so that they're no longer immune to electricity (the only ones that were that I noticed my first time were incubi, but my second time i didn't even notice them). Also I went in with Soulshear so I had an adamantine weapon as well. My issue is the ac of all the demons is insane.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I actually had a little eye twitch there at the realization that they've nerfed it and it's still this rough.

And yeah, you're quite right about the hexes, though sadly I couldn't land Slumber to safe my life. Maybe its just because my DC was too low because I kept Ember on the premade build for her, or because I just had really bad luck with the rolls, but there just wasn't much sleeping getting done. Doesn't help Slumber only gets you one try on each monster.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I think they nerfed it so that they're no longer immune to electricity (the only ones that were that I noticed my first time were incubi, but my second time i didn't even notice them). Also I went in with Soulshear so I had an adamantine weapon as well. My issue is the ac of all the demons is insane.
    It really is the AC. I get the idea behind it, they want you to figure out the weaknesses of these enemies and adjust accordingly, but even with the right abilities the place is tedious and its a complete departure from all the other design in the game other than the bonus bosses.

And I'll be honest. Them being immune to lightning would have changed little about my tactics, which was hoping to land slumbers while slowly beating down the enemies through sheer attrition. There weren't really many blasting spells flying around other than as finishers.

At least they do give you an awesome piece of gear for Ember and a really cool greatsword. Not sure how useful the greatsword is yet, but its just too cool not to like.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-09-26 at 06:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

That's the part of the game that I played unknowingly on unfair due to the bug. Lots of 5-10 minute fights where me and the mobs couldn't hit each other. I thought it was terrible due to the difficulty, but apparently the area is terrible in general. It did force me to optimize my build some though, which was probably overdue.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that escalated quickly...

Spoiler: Massive Camellia Act 3 Spoilers
    Show

So I just got THAT event with Camellia.

I'll be honest, I expected her to have a sinister secret, but did not expect her to be a full-on insane serial killer.

For now I've spared her, but am genuinely torn on what to do next. She has been one of my most useful party members so far, being an excellent tank, priceless support caster, and decent damage dealer, but she's clearly a massive danger to keep around.

Since trying to arrest her only leads to killing her, its between that or risking her doing more things behind my back. Also I'm kinda trying to play a righteous crusader here.
    Dang it, why can't that spirit be satisfied with the hundreds of people I've killed while adventuring already?
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-09-27 at 08:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    I saw it coming and moved her out of my party fairly early, despite her having the highest AC on my team by far. The locket that hides alignment may as well be a giant blaring sign that she's evil, and her camping comments scream serial killer. I assumed there would be some sort of possible redemption arc though, which hasn't materialized.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I'm...not even going to spoiler this. The character in question screeches "You're my next sacrifice!" every time they attack and licks their lips in ecstasy and hunger any time you see scenes of brutal carnage. This **** was not supposed to be a twist.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a huge fan of the game. Already working through my second run even though I promised myself I wouldn't jump into it until a few months after release due to the inevitable bugs.

Regarding that certain individual. The twist is
    Spoiler
    Show
    She is completely irredeemable. She's just a selfish, sadistic serial killer with no redeeming qualities, beyond potentially being a good dex tank.

Also, Blackwater is why I give Daeran Ascendant Electricity and use him as a blaster.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for implicitely calling me stupid, Rynjin. Really appreciated.

Spoiler: Camellia Spoilers
    Show
    It was obvious that she'd be evil and was also the one to kill that guy at the start.

I just didn't expect things to be quite that bad. Full on rambling insanity is not the kind of evil I saw coming. I thought she might turn out to be some kind of cultist, or maybe some kind of secret monster like a vampire or werewolf, rather than just completely delusional and sadistic.

Also doesn't help this is revealed through a seemingly unrelated quest.

Welp, I spared Wenduag and tried to redeem Staunton to the last second. Don't think I can justify that here. Time to replace Camellia with Sosiel, it seems. Good grief.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Camellia is just straight up irredeemable too. Every other evil companion can be redeemed in some way.

(Or are Regill, and thus should really just be Lawful Neutral. Honestly you'd think he put down LE on his character sheet just for the mechanical advantage versus unholy blight and blasphemy spells.)
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-09-28 at 06:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Camellia is just straight up irredeemable too. Every other evil companion can be redeemed in some way.

(Or are Regill, and thus should really just be Lawful Neutral. Honestly you'd think he put down LE on his character sheet just for the mechanical advantage versus unholy blight and blasphemy spells.)
    Spoiler
    Show

From what I've seen from him so far I would say he qualifies as evil, but only just. I feel he's just a bit too ruthlessly pragmatic to still qualify as neutral.

As for Camelia, yeah, I suspected she was well off the deep end when I saw she was under a permanent undetectable alignment effect. I fully expect to have to put her down before act 4 is over.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

From what I've seen from him so far I would say he qualifies as evil, but only just. I feel he's just a bit too ruthlessly pragmatic to still qualify as neutral.

As for Camelia, yeah, I suspected she was well off the deep end when I saw she was under a permanent undetectable alignment effect. I fully expect to have to put her down before act 4 is over.
    Show

What proof of Regill's evil do you need other than the fact that he tries to put Shieldbearers into your army? Clearly he is a secret demon cultist that wants to see you fail.

About Camellia, I am making the assumption that her entire spiel about wanting to heal the Worldwound is a delusional load of bull. Not just because it makes no sense whatsoever that feeding this ravenously hungry spirit would ever allow her to do so, but also because it's clearly just an excuse to live out her cruel desires.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-09-28 at 06:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

He also just treats everyone around him terribly for no reason. He's a miserable little ball of hate. Not every evil person has to be murdering puppies.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Show

What proof of Regill's evil do you need other than the fact that he tries to put Shieldbearers into your army? Clearly he is a secret demon cultist that wants to see you fail.

About Camellia, I am making the assumption that her entire spiel about wanting to heal the Worldwound is a delusional load of bull. Not just because it makes no sense whatsoever that feeding this ravenously hungry spirit would ever allow her to do so, but also because it's clearly just an excuse to live out her cruel desires.
    I found Shieldbearers to be exceptionally useful, actually. The thing I need out of my infantry is to not die, and to block all access to my marksmen. Shieldbearers are very, very good at not dying.

Champions can actually kill things, but they're so squishy that the losses are pretty horrendous.

Spoiler: Camellia
    Show
    It is in fact bull****. I believe she herself later admits it.