New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    The shifting is based on camera rotation, not time. Learning that made it a little bit less frustrating.
    I know, but it's still supremely frustrating as you slowly wait for it to move all the way away, then slowly come back. I already spend half my time in the damn game staring at a loading screen. I don't want to spend the other half rotating my camera and slowly waiting for the landscape to align for the 40th time so I can walk across town.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, apparently I missed out on a companion I wanted to recruit and
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sosiel's brother dies
    since I went to the arena before the fleshmarkets. You can't even get revenge on the arena owner. It's just "sorry I betrayed you for the 4th time now, but let's get back to business." This game man. If a real life DM pulled the kind of crap this game does, we would have had a talk a long time ago.
    Im confused as to the issue here. You can definitely get revenge on the arena owner (I did on my Azata run). And Im not sure how you can kill
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sosiel’s brother
    without the quest being triggered. If the person died in the quest then its dependent on the conversations you had with the appropriate companion before that (in earlier acts).

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The arena owner is definitely killable. You need to accept a certain someone's offer to help overthrow him whilst you're doing the quest for fighting in the arena yourself.
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-10-06 at 07:39 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Im confused as to the issue here. You can definitely get revenge on the arena owner (I did on my Azata run). And Im not sure how you can kill
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sosiel’s brother
    without the quest being triggered. If the person died in the quest then its dependent on the conversations you had with the appropriate companion before that (in earlier acts).
    I picked the right dialogue options with Sosiel, but I looked at a guide afterwards. Apparently there's a character in the flesh markets you have to talk to before advancing the arena quest or you don't get the option to save his brother. Sosiel just runs away and leaves him to die even if you pick the right options wth the shield.

Spoiler
    Show
    The arena owner is definitely killable. You need to accept a certain someone's offer to help overthrow him whilst you're doing the quest for fighting in the arena yourself.
    No, THAT's the guy I wanted to kill. The one who betrays you 4 times to your face and then just says "eh, it's not my fault, blame the other guy" At least the original owner is honest about being a turd. If you try to call him out after the quest he just teleports away any time you threaten him.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I've been taking a break from the game since my last post. I'm a little sad about not seeing how some of the plot turned out, but the game itself isn't worth the frustration it was causing me.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-10-07 at 01:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

I picked the right dialogue options with Sosiel, but I looked at a guide afterwards. Apparently there's a character in the flesh markets you have to talk to before advancing the arena quest or you don't get the option to save his brother. Sosiel just runs away and leaves him to die even if you pick the right options wth the shield.
    I dont believe this is correct. I killed the mask guy in the Fleshmarkets (Nenio wanted to look at his mask and he said “over my dead body” so I obliged him) and still saved the brother. My understanding is you need to select conversation options with Sosiel in prior quests that make his brother out to be a victim.

Check this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_...tm_name=iossmf

No, THAT's the guy I wanted to kill. The one who betrays you 4 times to your face and then just says "eh, it's not my fault, blame the other guy" At least the original owner is honest about being a turd. If you try to call him out after the quest he just teleports away any time you threaten him.
    Yeah you cant kill that guy directly but you can certainly get him killed in the arena finale.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I dont believe this is correct. I killed the mask guy in the Fleshmarkets (Nenio wanted to look at his mask and he said “over my dead body” so I obliged him) and still saved the brother. My understanding is you need to select conversation options with Sosiel in prior quests that make his brother out to be a victim.

Check this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_...tm_name=iossmf

Yeah you cant kill that guy directly but you can certainly get him killed in the arena finale.
    I feel like you didn't actually read my post very closely, but it's not like it matters anymore.

Anyway, I decided to give the game another try. It had been 10 days and memories of how frustrating it can be were diminished. Why not give it another go? First quest I try is with Greybor to hunt down his former employer. Sure. Great. So we go kill the guy, and get a message to meet someone at the assassin's guild No actual indication of where this magical place may be. 20 minutes of loading screens and spinning the camera around so the map will realign later I finally get tired of the nonsense and google the location. Turns out the door is in a corner somewhere and you have to have the camera pointing a certain way for it to show up. Great. Fantastic game design. So I finally go into the guild and what's waiting for me? 3 text boxes that could have easily been thrown into the previous conversation. What a wonderful way to spend the better part of an hour. Truly time well invested.

Yeah, I'm done with the game again for at least another 10 days. I've never encountered a game with less respect for their players than this one.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Thanks for the above post.
    I want to play this game. I like the Pathfinder system and the creativity of the Wrath of the Righteous AP. I enjoyed a lot about Kingmaker.

BUT the slow loading screens, slow movement and various camera mechanics of the first game drove me nuts. So I guess it's a no for now.

8. - Top - End - #98

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Thanks for the above post.
    I want to play this game. I like the Pathfinder system and the creativity of the Wrath of the Righteous AP. I enjoyed a lot about Kingmaker.

BUT the slow loading screens, slow movement and various camera mechanics of the first game drove me nuts. So I guess it's a no for now.
    It also has a ton of bugs, but the Owlcat Games team is working very quickly on these. I think the movement speed has increased though, and loading times for me aren't terribly long.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DarthArminius View Post
    It also has a ton of bugs, but the Owlcat Games team is working very quickly on these. I think the movement speed has increased though, and loading times for me aren't terribly long.
    How far along are you? My loading screens were fine for the first few chapters and just kept getting progressively worse. It's basically at least a full minute every time I hit one at this point...and you hit them a lot. That's on SSD too.

My advice would be to give at least a few months to a year for them to get the game to a more playable state. I've lost 12+ hours of progress to bugs twice now, and I know other posters here have had similar issues. There's a decent game in there somewhere, but you have to be willing to dig through a lot of bugs and terrible design decisions to get to it.

10. - Top - End - #100

Chimera

How far along are you? My loading screens were fine for the first few chapters and just kept getting progressively worse. It's basically at least a full minute every time I hit one at this point...and you hit them a lot. That's on SSD too.

My advice would be to give at least a few months to a year for them to get the game to a more playable state. I've lost 12+ hours of progress to bugs twice now, and I know other posters here have had similar issues. There's a decent game in there somewhere, but you have to be willing to dig through a lot of bugs and terrible design decisions to get to it.
    I'm on Act 3.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

11. - Top - End - #101

This game is utterly fantastic in so many ways. Even despite the problems, it's still making serious play for my favorite RPG of all time.

It's such a shame the QA is so bad. I don't think it's going to be that easy to fix, either- from what I've seen, Owlcat did not build this game in a performance-conscious manner, and the whole "get the thing running and hope you can optimize your performance problems away later" approach doesn't work.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

If you're looking for a CRPG to play whilst Owlcat patches WotR into a more playable state (and the modders fix the things they won't patch), have you considered Solasta: Crown of the Magister?

It's a much smaller, less ambitious game (only goes to level 10, only contains about half of the classes and races in the players' handbook) but it ran very well even on release and incorporated a lot of features CRPGs usually skip (flight and climbing are fully integrated, as is light and vision).
    Last edited by Tome; 2021-10-11 at 05:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm playing at a more leisurely pace, just got to Act 3 (with about 50 hours spent playing so far), and I really haven't had many issues with the game except for the camera acting a little weird when elevations get large and losing a full round action playing in turn-based mode when a character gets stopped in a charge randomly. Nothing I couldn't work around (mod for the camera thing and paying more attention to the character's location). Haven't had an issue with loading times yet. Longest I've seen was .. maybe ten seconds? I'll have to wait and see if it gets worse before passing judgement on it. I can deal with load times if they take up to a minute or so. I already have a heavily modded Skyrim that sometimes takes five minutes to get fully up to speed once I launch it (runs flawlessly after though, I got a HUGE precache). Really should upgrade motherboard and get SSD.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I'm playing at a more leisurely pace, just got to Act 3 (with about 50 hours spent playing so far), and I really haven't had many issues with the game except for the camera acting a little weird when elevations get large and losing a full round action playing in turn-based mode when a character gets stopped in a charge randomly. Nothing I couldn't work around (mod for the camera thing and paying more attention to the character's location). Haven't had an issue with loading times yet. Longest I've seen was .. maybe ten seconds? I'll have to wait and see if it gets worse before passing judgement on it. I can deal with load times if they take up to a minute or so. I already have a heavily modded Skyrim that sometimes takes five minutes to get fully up to speed once I launch it (runs flawlessly after though, I got a HUGE precache). Really should upgrade motherboard and get SSD.
    The difference is that this game pushes you through a loading screen any time you do anything. Minute loading times would be fine if there was more than 5 minutes between them.

My performance absolutely tanked when I got to act 4. It wasn't too bad before that.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

The difference is that this game pushes you through a loading screen any time you do anything. Minute loading times would be fine if there was more than 5 minutes between them.

My performance absolutely tanked when I got to act 4. It wasn't too bad before that.
    Agreed on the loading screens. It is especially egregious when it comes to certain parts of the game later on. I was irritated for places like Drezen, where it could have been all one open location.

My performance also tanked in Act 4. I suspect that had something to do with the giant amount of moving city parts and rotations in camera angles that triggered map shifts. The Midnight Isles are beautiful, but an absolute slog to traverse.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

The game also has a memory leak problem. Cleaning out the excess files can help speed it up.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

At 300 hours I've now done 4 mythic paths (Demon, Swarm, Aeon, Devil), and I'm happy to give this game a rest. I'll come back later to play Lich.

Overall impression: fantastic. My most played game on Steam. Definitely ranks high for me as one of my favorite RPGs ever, with tons of replayability due to mythic paths. The big glaring issue are the late game paths. Swarm and Devil are clearly unfinished, cut content type thing. They come abruptly, don't build on anything you've done before*, and have no time to breathe.

* In the sense that they do not continue previous storylines and development you've done to this point

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Agreed on the loading screens. It is especially egregious when it comes to certain parts of the game later on. I was irritated for places like Drezen, where it could have been all one open location.
    That, and it's just unnecessary to push you through some of them. Making the player load the Citadel just to rest/remove corruption/remove death's door (because the shelters you build in your forts do literally nothing) is annoying. So is making the player load the Citadel just to handle an event which is nothing more than a brief dialog with an NPC.

And- as I've mentioned before- there's no excuse for just resting to have a loading screen, or for there to be a loading screen when you switch to campaign management and back. Or for there to be a loading screen just to build a building in a fort. We didn't need a whole new 3D level for that.

Way too much stuff in this game is built in too heavy a manner. Someone needs to sit the devs down in front any major turn-based grand strategy game and show them how many of the different UI modes that Wrath has could -and should- be condensed down into a single campaign map.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

The game also has a memory leak problem. Cleaning out the excess files can help speed it up.
    You mean the savegame bloat? Or does it loose some memory during play?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    You mean the savegame bloat? Or does it loose some memory during play?
    Both are issues.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I've known for a while I locked myself out of the Gold Dragon mythic path since I failed to complete the obviously related quest, but I'm kind of annoyed now that I've figured out how that happened.

Spoiler: Gold Dragon Spoilers
    Show
    So it turns out that in the same cave where you get the wand necessary for the Lich path, there's a wagon you have to interact with after using the button to examine it. And since that's so easily missable, I completely missed out on it. That in turn meant I never picked up the dragon claw that's hidden there, and never got the chance to complete the quest to find more of Terendelev's parts.

And of course I never went back to that cave later because I figured I had already found everything important there, and there was nothing that hinted at it being related to the Gold Dragon path.

Slightly miffed about that one, though since I'm very happy playing on the angel path for my first playthrough it's not too bad. I could have looked it up in a walkthrough I guess, but I'm trying to stay mostly spoiler-free for now.

In better news, they actually added a tutorial hint to how getting around in Act 4 works. Guess enough people complained about that? I've actually been quite enjoying that act quite a bit more than most people seem to.

Spoiler: Act 4 Spoilers
    Show
    It probably helps that I like me some urban adventures and that there have been some wonderful opportunities to humiliate Minagho. After all the crap she's pulled taking away what little power she still has and basically telling her that she's not even worth killing anymore is incredibly satisfying. Watching her girlfriend get thrown out of her own brothel via her own rules was particularely great.

As was, on an unrelated note, letting that Aasimar serial killer get torn apart by his own victims. This time I even saw his serial killer status coming and didn't buy the slaves for him.

So, for now it's been kind of annoying mechanics and really solid writing. Hope Act 4 keeps it at that level. I don't think I'm anywhere near done with it, so I will have to deal with it for some time yet.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-10-15 at 08:12 AM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

I actually specifically remember picking up the claw from the cart by the wand, but the game didn't register it for some reason. I added it in through the toybox mod though and that fixed it. You could always do that. Not sure if it's too late though since you're already in act 4.

For act 4, I didn't mind the writing itself. It's the loading screens and city navigation that make it such a slog. Also a lot of people have severe fps drops there, even on high end systems.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-10-15 at 09:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

There's actually a subtle hint re: initial gold dragon quest.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the Tower of Estrod, there's four interactions on empty displays: Zacharias's wand, the vessel of oil, i believe a helmet of some sort, and of course Terendelev's claw. These are the items stolen from the tower by the thieves. So when you find the note by the thieves in the cave, you know what to look for.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually specifically remember picking up the claw from the cart by the wand, but the game didn't register it for some reason. I added it in through the toybox mod though and that fixed it. You could always do that. Not sure if it's too late though since you're already in act 4.

For act 4, I didn't mind the writing itself. It's the loading screens and city navigation that make it such a slog. Also a lot of people have severe fps drops there, even on high end systems.
    Yeah, I think it is too late. There was a whole 'nother dungeon I would have had to have visited in Chapter 3 after getting the claw, so that train has left the station. Not too big of a loss though, I'm happy to stick with Angel for this playthrough. It's pretty vanilla, but my god I love me some good vanilla.

As for act 4, yeah, like I said it is a mixed bag. The FPS drops are real, though they mostly went away after I deactivated SSR (If I am remembering that abbreviation right. ) and that city is rough after a while. I do think it overall is outweighed by the good parts. For me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    There's actually a subtle hint re: initial gold dragon quest.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the Tower of Estrod, there's four interactions on empty displays: Zacharias's wand, the vessel of oil, i believe a helmet of some sort, and of course Terendelev's claw. These are the items stolen from the tower by the thieves. So when you find the note by the thieves in the cave, you know what to look for.
    Ah, so that's the hint.

Spoiler: Gold Dragon Quest
    Show
    I originally, before I read a guide for it, figured it would be something in Act 1 since the game makes a point of showing you that Terendelev's corpse got dragged off to somewhere.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-10-15 at 12:01 PM.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Fortunately you're not missing much, since gold dragon is apparently terribly written and just as bare bones as the other non-Legend late game mythics.

Whereas I've heard nothing but good things about angel.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Supposedly Gold Dragon is basically written as a redemption path if you've been evil so far. Haven't tried it myself though.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh, a redemption path? Does that make Devil a 'falling' path, then? Would make sense given some of the story developments and the presence of the hellknights in the story.

Anywho, just beat Act 4!

Spoiler: Act 4 spoilers
    Show
    That fight with Bahamut was absolutely awesome. Mostly thanks to the absolutely awesome music that played while fighting him, and the fact that his abilities didn't insta-gib anyone hit by them. Seriously, whoever did the soundtrack for this game knocked it out of the park.

Plus, I got some more great moments like telling the Herald that his faith is weak, rejecting Areelu's power and getting a power-up for it anyways and ruining a succubus' crazy S&M murder game only to get rewarded for it.

What's not so cool is how hard the stat inflation is starting to hit. Only my main character was able to hit Bahamut on anything other than a nat 20, and that's mainly because I switched over to Finnean and his brilliant energy shenanigans. And that was after having to reload the battle against his daughter about three times because she just absolutely shredded my main character by beelining him each time. Said main character being a high level fighter with Seelah-level AC and full buffs. I know Pathfinder becomes rocket tag at higher levels, but sheesh.

Definitely switching over to Casual or even Story for future playthroughs. Or maybe someone will make a mod that brings monster stats more in line with their tabletop-counterparts, and then I'll use that. I'm still enjoying myself, but the stat inflation is not for people like me.

Anywho, the start of Act 5 is looking interesting. Queen Galfrey really messed up everything while I was gone. Not that I'm too mad about it, considering how much I screwed up and how many people I got killed. She at least managed to escort the civilians, which gives her one point above me. (Telling the Succubus Queen that I won't ally with her was fun, but it did get all the people I rescued in the abyss killed. Whoops.) At least I'm getting a comeback from the dead out of it, which is gonna be pretty cool.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding the stat inflation, that was probably the thing I found the most annoying from chapter 3 onwards. I'm starting a new game (for some reason), and I'm turning enemy stats all the way down, while putting damage dealt at 1.0 (higher than on normal), which'll hopefully create a situation where the enemies are still threats to my party, but it doesn't turn into a game of 'who can roll the most twenties'
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Regarding the stat inflation, that was probably the thing I found the most annoying from chapter 3 onwards. I'm starting a new game (for some reason), and I'm turning enemy stats all the way down, while putting damage dealt at 1.0 (higher than on normal), which'll hopefully create a situation where the enemies are still threats to my party, but it doesn't turn into a game of 'who can roll the most twenties'
    Agreed. I try to work out a party that is fun to me rather than tactically optimized (and I'm already playing on normal) and I definitely feel the lack of a CC/dispel bot right now. Even with mythic powers it is a weird choice to put a CR 26 encounter against a 10th level party (the canonical horsemen of the apocalypse are CR 27 to 30).

And the fun part, I would even be down for this hard fight, but an AoE confusion turning most of my party against each other (with a will save that needs a nat 20 on even a high wisdom cleric) in a Cloudkill spell, while the melee attacks regularly deal half of my health pool is a weird weird choice.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

The problem with turning the difficulty down is that it turns the rest of the game that didn't have ridiculously overinflated stats into a complete snoozefest. The difficulty is so wildly variable. You'll randomly find enemies with 70ac in an area where every other enemy had about 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Agreed. I try to work out a party that is fun to me rather than tactically optimized (and I'm already playing on normal) and I definitely feel the lack of a CC/dispel bot right now. Even with mythic powers it is a weird choice to put a CR 26 encounter against a 10th level party (the canonical horsemen of the apocalypse are CR 27 to 30).

And the fun part, I would even be down for this hard fight, but an AoE confusion turning most of my party against each other (with a will save that needs a nat 20 on even a high wisdom cleric) in a Cloudkill spell, while the melee attacks regularly deal half of my health pool is a weird weird choice.
    Dispel is so buggy that half the time it ends up dispelling my own people's buffs instead of the enemy I target. I stopped casting it because it bites me in the behind more often than not.

Speaking of buffs, the game desperately needs a simple "cast buffs" button. It's so tedious to recast them every time you enter a new area, rest, or someone drops in combat. You're basically required to spec into greater extended spells, and it's still a pain even with that.