New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    OK reloaded a game from a few (real life) days ago and, wow, I missed almost all of the kingdom side of the game. Really wish they'd make this game less bugged.

I lost at least 10 hours of progress on two separate occasions, so I certainly agree.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    For people who've already bought into the game, did you pick up the Season Pass? The DLC descriptions sound cool, but I'm not sure how much money buying the pass will save me, and whether it's a good deal. I never got any of the DLCs for Kingmake.
    Yeah, I got the season pass. Even if it doesn't turn out to be my favorite part of the game, I want to heavily encourage this company (and others like them) to make MORE of these kinds of games. However, if they even so much as HINT at going towards micro-transactions or GACHA nonsense, I will drop them without hesitation. I have no problem with games that do this and actually play a few of them on occasion but I do not finance them in any way.

I have Kingmaker and all the DLC for them, and I love what I got from them. Especially the mods that came out afterwards that further take advantage of the ability to add additional content to the game. The massive dungeon expansion? You can actually access it within the main story line. It doesn't matter if their is no real storyline to back it up when you have so much other story content going on. The Tiefling Kineticist character you get? Staple party member for me, period. Will always take them along. I expect equal quality of content from WOTR DLC as well. I participated in the kickstart for Kingmaker and WOTR.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

How do bonuses for troops stack? Like if I have 25 marksmen with a +1 bonus and 50 who don't have that bonus, how does that work out? Do they all just get grouped?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

How do bonuses for troops stack? Like if I have 25 marksmen with a +1 bonus and 50 who don't have that bonus, how does that work out? Do they all just get grouped?
    I'm curious as to HOW you manage some with and without a bonus? I think all things that give bonuses give them to all troops of that type.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #245

DwarfClericGuy

Maybe that is how it works? I'm not sure.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe that is how it works? I'm not sure.
    I think it does work that way, for simplicity. That said those building bonuses are basically irrelevant. Once you have a marksmen stack of around 400 it will one shot basically any opponent. Just keep splitting your marksmen stacks once they hit 400 and you’re basically unbeatable.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

I got so frustrated with the crusade stuff that I just cheated myself a massive army and rolled through it. Watching units plink at each other for 30 turns in a row is not compelling gameplay to me, and if I wanted to play heroes of might and magic, I already own it.

Plus, the 20 year old might and magic games do it way better anyway.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-01-05 at 11:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248

DwarfClericGuy

eh, I kinda enjoy Crusade mode- for nostalgia if nothing else. OK , I don't enjoy fighting large groups of shield bearers

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

eh, I kinda enjoy Crusade mode- for nostalgia if nothing else. OK , I don't enjoy fighting large groups of shield bearers
    I could have liked it if it was balanced better and had a bit more troop variety. Heroes of Might and Magic 2+3 are some of my favorite games of all time, and this minigame was just a blatant rip-off of them. The balance is terrible though, and combats take far too long to resolve.

I was lucky enough to pick the caster general to level, who is capable of melting thousands of enemy troops a turn with each spell, and it's a good thing because every time I tried to conserve mana combats were taking upwards of 30 turns. Mostly with just the same few units pounding on one enemy stack until it finally died. Not entertaining.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I could have liked it if it was balanced better and had a bit more troop variety. Heroes of Might and Magic 2+3 are some of my favorite games of all time, and this minigame was just a blatant rip-off of them. The balance is terrible though, and combats take far too long to resolve.

I was lucky enough to pick the caster general to level, who is capable of melting thousands of enemy troops a turn with each spell, and it's a good thing because every time I tried to conserve mana combats were taking upwards of 30 turns. Mostly with just the same few units pounding on one enemy stack until it finally died. Not entertaining.
    Yeah the balance of the mode is garbage. Ranged destroys everything and the caster general is by far the strongest. At the end of act 5 channel negative energy ability the caster generals get literally one shots the entire field.

11. - Top - End - #251

DwarfClericGuy

Well don't get me wrong, I can see all your points. But if I hated every game where ranged units were overpowered I'd, well, hate almost every game.

Still, at least so far, by the end of Act III, I'm finding it to be a fun little diversion of a minigame. I do wish the 40000 artifacts you find would go to your generals, not your hero. I don't need another flail +3 that does 1D6 sonic damage on a critical hit, or whatever.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

Well don't get me wrong, I can see all your points. But if I hated every game where ranged units were overpowered I'd, well, hate almost every game.

Still, at least so far, by the end of Act III, I'm finding it to be a fun little diversion of a minigame. I do wish the 40000 artifacts you find would go to your generals, not your hero. I don't need another flail +3 that does 1D6 sonic damage on a critical hit, or whatever.
    Also the fact that you basically have no idea what an artifact does until you waste precious research time upgrading it. There were a few times where I'd get to stage 2 of that process, realize no one in my party could use the equipment, and then it just sat on my task list forever.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Also the fact that you basically have no idea what an artifact does until you waste precious research time upgrading it. There were a few times where I'd get to stage 2 of that process, realize no one in my party could use the equipment, and then it just sat on my task list forever.
    There's a google sheet going around that has all the things these could turn into on it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7Yk/edit#gid=0

There's some spoilers in there, but it should be accurate.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    There's a google sheet going around that has all the things these could turn into on it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7Yk/edit#gid=0

There's some spoilers in there, but it should be accurate.
    I appreciate the sentiment. In general, I try to avoid Googling things for games. It's generally more fun to find things out for yourself. Even games like Terraria where people claim you have to use the wiki are generally more fun if you just experiment and learn for yourself.

I know not everyone feels this way, but I personally consider things that require the use of outside guides to be bad game design. One of the reasons that I also didn't like the hidden ending of this game. I did almost everything "right" the whole way through, but locked myself out of it with one dialogue option at the start. Sure, I could have been reading a guide the whole way through....but then it's the guide making the decisions, not me.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-01-07 at 07:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

I appreciate the sentiment. In general, I try to avoid Googling things for games. It's generally more fun to find things out for yourself. Even games like Terraria where people claim you have to use the wiki are generally more fun if you just experiment and learn for yourself.

I know not everyone feels this way, but I personally consider things that require the use of outside guides to be bad game design. One of the reasons that I also didn't like the hidden ending of this game. I did almost everything "right" the whole way through, but locked myself out of it with one dialogue option at the start. Sure, I could have been reading a guide the whole way through....but then it's the guide making the decisions, not me.
    I dont generally mind outside resources but they should at the very least tell you what items can be made before you do the first research.

16. - Top - End - #256

DwarfClericGuy

I had to use walkthroughs for some of the puzzles. Part of the problem for me was admittedly the logic of the puzzles- but I also had a lot of trouble seeing the puzzle pieces- ESPECIALLY the light blue puzzle pieces. I think I would have buckled down and tried to figure it out if it didn't hurt my eyes so much. I also wish some walkthroughs just sort of explained the reasoning or gave hints instead of "put piece X in slot Y."

I'll admit to using some character build walkthroughs. That said, I don't really like the whole "take one level of monk for armor bonus, then take one level of cross blooded sorcerer for X bonus" etc. I'll only pick builds that make sense within the scope of the game and try to optimize within that scope.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I haven't been able to play in weeks because my computer is broken and I wanna!

I like the stuff we have on switch but I WANNA HAVE MY COMPUTER BACK!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #258

DwarfClericGuy

Ivory Sanctum right now- it's fun, challenging but not overwhelming like a couple of the Wintersun battles were.

That minute per level confusion is a lot of fun if you've turned off the feature where debuffs on you end after combat. I'm looking for a list of stuff that prevents confusion. Also, it's annoying when your succubus ranger dies since she can't be breath of lifed.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

That minute per level confusion is a lot of fun if you've turned off the feature where debuffs on you end after combat. I'm looking for a list of stuff that prevents confusion.
    Oh, don't worry. Most of the status conditions are bugged and will sometimes ignore status immunity.

Your status immunity that is. Never the enemy's. They frequently get extra, unlisted immunities.
    Last edited by Tome; 2022-01-13 at 11:07 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Hey all, cool to others talking about this game!

Knowing this game I don't know if this is a bug or not, but my good-aligned cleric can cast evil tagged spells like animate dead, derp.

That said, I don't really like the whole "take one level of monk for armor bonus, then take one level of cross blooded sorcerer for X bonus" etc. I'll only pick builds that make sense within the scope of the game and try to optimize within that scope.
    Meh, I do agree the amount of monk dips running around is a bit silly but IMO crazy multi classes like what you mentioned are only really needed for the core+ difficulties.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro89 View Post
    Knowing this game I don't know if this is a bug or not, but my good-aligned cleric can cast evil tagged spells like animate dead, derp.
    They'd probably have to make a good aligned version of hellfire ray if they fixed that. >_>

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I found this game last weekend. Dang is it good. Like a genuine Baldur's Gate of the modern era. Every character an interesting subversion on the old tropes, a lot of humor and an epic (so far) plot, and a game engine that allows a lot of versatility. I avoided Kingmaker because it sounded really buggy (and I'm getting tired spending good money on games that don't take the consumer seriously), but this game is enough to make me tempted to go look it up.

I've had a few false starts to get a feel for the game (there are a few curve balls that change the flow of events), but I've gotten as far as the end of chapter 2. What I'm playing now is a human kinetic knight named Justin (might just be me, but I find the juxtaposition of high fantasy and a mundane name comical), where I envision his fire blade kinetic blast to be the angel sword you get five minutes into the game. I'm planning to go down the Azata path and trying to decide between pursuing Arueshalae and Galfrey - not sure which is the better story. My party seems to be Seelah, Camillia, Lann, Ember, and Arueshalae. Don't really want Camillia (they don't hide how screwed up she is very well), but she's just proving a solid light skirmisher who also has excellent healing and lockpicking talent. I'd rather have Woljif, who is far more charming, but Camillia is just too good not to use. I just have to learn to live with her ecstatic declarations of bloodshed and sacrifice during every fight. Ember can jump between fire goddess and healer with unsettling ease as well, due to her status as a spontaneous caster, plus I love her talent for turning a moment on its head with an offhand comment. Lann is ungodly useful as an archer, absurdly likeable, and his low-key humor works well for me. Seelah is very likeable, a decent tank, a tertiary healer, and the horse she can get lets her either be super-durable or a threat in two places at once. Arueshalae... I'm not sure on yet. I was hoping to turn her into a finesse melee, but if you can't respec her beyond level 8, she is already way too committed to archery to make the jump. Still, I love the idea of repentant demons (Fall-from-Grace from Planescape:Torment, for instance) and her ties to the Azata seems like a good match.

Finally, I gotta say, there are a few great moments in the early game I just have to comment on:
    Spoiler: Early spoilers
    Show
    * Unlocking Trickster: Walk into a library where a trio of crusaders turned cultists are setting up an old fashioned book burning. You get to pull a mind game worthy of Bugs Bunny or the Doctor by convincing them that the cool cultists wouldn't waste their time burning books here, but rather in the keep itself. That's funny in itself, but then later these dimwits are busy rigging the keep library, only to incinerate not just them but a group of cult mages in the process. That brought a tear to my eye.

* Attending a funeral with Sosiel: Of course it would get attacked by a necromancer. What I didn't expect was the voice a woman calling from help, claiming to be trapped in a crypt. You free her only to find a very undead baroness who doesn't realize she's dead. One answer, that I've never dared actually use, lets you basically tell she's welcome for her freedom and wish her well on her way home. I've never tried it, but the image of this iron-willed zombie shambling into her home and just reclaiming it fills me with joy.

* Finally, pretty much everything to do with Daeran. Combat-wise, I'm not overly impressed with him (a seven fingered homeless girl is stronger than him). But humor-wise? From his plan to use broad-range sin to break the mechanisms of Hell, to his painfully civil war with his cousin, to the fact that you can't seem to actually insult the guy (he takes insult from pity, not from being mocked), he's a wonderfully voiced, wonderfully written, and just plain enjoyable irredeemable jackass.

So, yeah. Kinda late to the game, but enjoying it immensely. Looking forward to seeing how the tale of "Justin and the Angel's Blade" continues.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

On default difficulty Lann and Arue as full archers will just destroy most encounters by themselves. Particularly with cleaving shot which is just absurd with tight groups.

24. - Top - End - #264

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    On default difficulty Lann and Arue as full archers will just destroy most encounters by themselves. Particularly with cleaving shot which is just absurd with tight groups.
    My first MC was a longbow slayer who went Demon. Can confirm that archers are really strong, and adding the demon teleport just serves to make you the ultimate kiter.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

The demon teleport is just very satisfying to use in general.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

The demon teleport is just very satisfying to use in general.
    And very thematically appropriate in Act 4 that you can use it to find all sorts of hidden loot and stuff.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    And very thematically appropriate in Act 4 that you can use it to find all sorts of hidden loot and stuff.
    Like bonus bosses! There's at least two of them that i found.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: Early spoilers
    Show
    * Finally, pretty much everything to do with Daeran. Combat-wise, I'm not overly impressed with him (a seven fingered homeless girl is stronger than him). But humor-wise? From his plan to use broad-range sin to break the mechanisms of Hell, to his painfully civil war with his cousin, to the fact that you can't seem to actually insult the guy (he takes insult from pity, not from being mocked), he's a wonderfully voiced, wonderfully written, and just plain enjoyable irredeemable jackass.
    Daeran can get pretty devastating at higher levels. You just have to remember that he's basically a pure caster.

He did extremely well for me tossing out Hellfire Rays and Heal spells in the late game. You can also give him a second mystery via mythic abilities, letting him play necromancer with Bones or get a giant, rideable wolf with Nature.

Also, the revelation that turns excess healing into temp HP is bugged. The temp HP lasts waaaaayyyyyy longer than it should. Several minutes at least. So he can easily slap 200+ temp HP on the entire party at high levels.

29. - Top - End - #269

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Daeran can get pretty devastating at higher levels. You just have to remember that he's basically a pure caster.

He did extremely well for me tossing out Hellfire Rays and Heal spells in the late game. You can also give him a second mystery via mythic abilities, letting him play necromancer with Bones or get a giant, rideable wolf with Nature.

Also, the revelation that turns excess healing into temp HP is bugged. The temp HP lasts waaaaayyyyyy longer than it should. Several minutes at least. So he can easily slap 200+ temp HP on the entire party at high levels.
    Also, just get him the thingamajig (think it was a ring) that gives spontaneous casters extra fire spells of every level. Add some metamagic/elemental focus/whatever else you can think off, and let him fire off when he isn't healing.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-01-15 at 07:40 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

DwarfClericGuy

How big of a deal is it if I don't finish "Middlegame" (Where you have to get all four stats to 5 by the end of act 3? I've run out of ways to get leadership from 4 to 5. I mean is it a dealbreaker in terms of finishing the game or secret ending?