New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Superhero/flying brick - alternatives to straight paladin?

A while back, I posted about a superhero concept I was playing with, and the conclusion I came to at the time was that Redemption paladin would be the best fit. Super tanky, with good AC and saves, take damage in the place of allies, regenerates at higher levels, and a passive capstone that makes it easier to take on hordes if you fight them one at a time. Not to mention smites.

Part of the problem is that paladin lacks somewhat the mobility upgrades you'd expect from a flying brick; if not literal flight then at least the ability to jump pretty high and far. Another issue is how long some of these features take to come online. Now, I'm not expecting to get regeneration any sooner on a different build; in fact, Redemption paladin does it better than anyone else at the moment. But I was taking a look at Ancestral Guardian barbarian and by 6th level they're pretty good at tanking and protecting allies. With barbarian, though, I'd be worried about losing my rage, especially if I dip out before Persistent Rage.

I'm still leaning toward sticking with Redemption paladin for this concept, but I'm curious what other builds might be out there that could fit this concept. Specifically, imagine the highly charismatic hero of JUSTICE with a typical flying brick power set. Like when a TV show does a Superman parody, sort of. All-Might from My Hero Academia (who is like a powered down version of Superman) is also a big part of the inspiration. You know, not just a hero, but the hero, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    Superman has a variety of extraneous super powers, such as heat vision (Scorching Ray?) or freezing breath (Cone of Cold?), which is why it might make sense to build him as a sorcadin. But for just the foundational elements of a flying brick, here's what I would expect to see:
    • Super Toughness. High HP, high AC, good saves, damage reduction, and/or self-healing.
    • Super Strength. High melee damage, knockback, good grappling. Possibly fights unarmed.
    • Super Mobility. Flight preferred, jump good acceptable. Moderately high speed, ability to swim or climb as needed.
    • Super Protection. Anything that helps protect friendlies, including buffing AC/saves, granting temp HP, or taking damage in their place.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Superhero/flying brick - alternatives to straight paladin?

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    A while back, I posted about a superhero concept I was playing with, and the conclusion I came to at the time was that Redemption paladin would be the best fit. Super tanky, with good AC and saves, take damage in the place of allies, regenerates at higher levels, and a passive capstone that makes it easier to take on hordes if you fight them one at a time. Not to mention smites.

Part of the problem is that paladin lacks somewhat the mobility upgrades you'd expect from a flying brick; if not literal flight then at least the ability to jump pretty high and far. Another issue is how long some of these features take to come online. Now, I'm not expecting to get regeneration any sooner on a different build; in fact, Redemption paladin does it better than anyone else at the moment. But I was taking a look at Ancestral Guardian barbarian and by 6th level they're pretty good at tanking and protecting allies. With barbarian, though, I'd be worried about losing my rage, especially if I dip out before Persistent Rage.

I'm still leaning toward sticking with Redemption paladin for this concept, but I'm curious what other builds might be out there that could fit this concept. Specifically, imagine the highly charismatic hero of JUSTICE with a typical flying brick power set. Like when a TV show does a Superman parody, sort of. All-Might from My Hero Academia (who is like a powered down version of Superman) is also a big part of the inspiration. You know, not just a hero, but the hero, if that makes sense.
    Well I think you have it right for Sorcadin. A high level totem barbarian can fly with the 14th level eagle totem. Ancients Paladin will give you Misty Step at 5th level.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

At high levels you can make a case for Monk. They've got average hit dice and mediocre HP but make up for it in excellent saves and high mobility. The main issue I see is that they don't really pack the same wallop as a Paladin or even a Barbarian, the kind you'd want from a proper brick.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

First, roll an amazing stat spread

Then take a little monk, a lot of paladin and probably a bit of warlock. Metamagic adept might be a good feat but telepathic, telekinetic and/or fey touched i wager are better picks for superpowers.

Its pretty hard to cover all those bases though
    Edit: although if you could gestalt...
    Last edited by Kane0; 2021-09-27 at 03:47 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Psi Warrior Fighter Protector Aasimar?

Mercy Monk Protector Aasimar?

Beast Barbarian Protector Aasimar?
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2021-09-27 at 04:38 AM.