A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Best Class for a Meek/Shy/Timid person?

In your opinion, what Class would best suit somebody who has a shy and timid personality?

My kneejerk was to say Rogue, (for hiding and what not) but they're actually pretty social. This person is not very bold but wants to be useful.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Best Class for a Meek/Shy/Timid person?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWitch View Post
    In your opinion, what Class would best suit somebody who has a shy and timid personality?

My kneejerk was to say Rogue, (for hiding and what not) but they're actually pretty social. This person is not very bold but wants to be useful.
    Depends on how much they are fine with preparing spells but if they are then buffing cleric could work.
    Unless your table contains players that would try to pressure the cleric in healing at which point the poor person would suffer from all the social pressure.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-24 at 06:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, any class could be played in virtually any way. Rogues don't have to be social. Just pick non CHA based skills.

Rangers and barbs from the PHB play into the loner image. Druids can be aloof and focused on nature.

A little further afield, warlocks and binders might have stereotypes that cause others to avoid or minimize contact, but can be useful in some parties. Although both can be played as party faces too.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Telepath?

*Handwave* "This is not the conversation you are looking for."

Also druid. Fluttershy is the epitome of "meek/shy/timid."
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-09-24 at 07:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Is this an IC or OOC timid person?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

If the player is just shy about doing lots of RP, literally anything that isn't the face (or face-adjacent) should do it. If they're really shy and they don't even want to take up much time in-game describing what they do, that probably rules out minion-focused classes like Druids and Shadowrun-syndrome style solo acts like stealth rogues. But you also said this person isn't very "bold," so that kinda rules out in-your-face barbarian types. So... Wizard. Bookish, keeps to themselves, more of a support role, very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Cloistered Cleric. Quiet, contemplative, at a loss when dealing with people outside the social context of a secluded mountain monastery.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Fighter.

Stand around, kill stuff that the others tell you to kill. You can be big and strong and silent, you can lurk and look threatening, and honestly, you can warm your way up from "I swing at the orc" to "I use my sword, and attack the ogre" to "I step forward, boldly proclaiming my right to combat, and begin to flay the creature with my bardiche, the one I took from the wizard Dramastus, when I killed him and his entire guild, for their role in my family's murder!"

But really... it's relatively easy, interactions are typically easy, expectations for interactions are low. Just don't ask them to be the Roy of the party, just Sword #2.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I tried to find anything which allow for such theme - and I found some:

"Shy" is listed as a quality for both Earth Bloodline (from stone giants) and Fey Bloodline (from dryads) feats (Dragon Compendium). Thus - spontaneous arcane caster? (Maybe, something Int-bases - like "Nerd"-Beguiler or "Yandere"-Assassin?)

"Shy" also listed as a possible result of the Stout trait. So, defense-oriented warrior of some kind?

"Class Acts - Flaws For Druids" (Dragon #324) gives us the Forlorn of Men flaw: any humanoid within 30' of you makes you shaken - including friendly humanoids and even members of your own party. This condition can't be removed by spells or effects.

Also, Savage Species mentioned "shy" in the description of Athach monstrous class...
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2021-09-24 at 08:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cloistered Cleric and Wizard have already been mentioned, but I'd like to add in Archivist.

Psion would open up the possibility of being a Tibbit or Hengeyokai and spending the entire game in animal form.

Buoman is another race that provides a good excuse for never saying anything. Psion, of course, works with Buoman out of the box, but any caster could be made to work with a Mask of Silent Casting (Dungeon 90, p106).

I'm not aware of any Pathfinder races that are unable to speak, but if you can find one, Oracle with the Deaf curse is an easy way to Silent Spell for free.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

Almost any class works. There's little point in playing a shy Bard, but that's the main limitation.

Better in the wilds than with people? Ranger, Druid, Barbarian and Nature Clerics can fit that.

From a cloistered temple? Clerics and Monks can fit. Wizards fit a version of that.

Scared of their own powers, that they either never wanted or now regret getting? Wild Magic Sorcerers are a perfect fit for that, but many kinds of Sorcerer or Warlock could do.

Afraid but duty-bound to fight anyway? Any kind of martial could fit. Even a Paladin could, if the fear was more in the vein of fear of not living up to expectations.

Living in the shadows? That could be a rogue.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-24 at 09:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

There's some narrative resonance with a shy player with a Dragon Shaman. They generally offer passive assistance via auras, and speaking up is manifested as a breath weapon.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maybe the Healer? You just . . . heal people. And you get a unicorn later.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Maybe the Healer? You just . . . heal people. And you get a unicorn later.
    Is the unicorn a reclusive purple bookworm, and is she learning about the magic of friendship while serving as the local librarian?

I mean, it'd fit.

Bonus points if the healer is a green and purple kobold that acts as her assistant.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-09-24 at 11:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Dwarf druid. They have darkvision and stonecunning, so have more opportunities to get information the party needs. As a druid, they can heal and buff, but they also get a companion and can turn into other creatures and be useful without having to be extra social if they don't want to.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I guess technically the assassin would have a reason not to talk to people for three rounds . . .

17. - Top - End - #17

A purple bookworm? Man, it would take a pretty big book to house a purple worm! I'd like to go adventuring in that library.

18. - Top - End - #18

Class shouldn't make any difference. You can have a shy fighter, wizard, rogue, monk. Bard is probably the only class unlikely to be shy because of self-selection.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redking View Post
    Class shouldn't make any difference. You can have a shy fighter, wizard, rogue, monk. Bard is probably the only class unlikely to be shy because of self-selection.
    The player is meek/shy/timid so what matters is a class that minimises stressful social interaction of the player playing it with the other players.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    The player is meek/shy/timid so what matters is a class that minimises stressful social interaction of the player playing it with the other players.
    One of the things I do when I play a bard is to describe what I want from a social interaction, rather than do first person role play. Saying “I’m going to try to hint that I’m a spy too” is as abstract as saying “I cast phantasmal killer” or “I hit it with my axe.” All three are statements of intent followed by game mechanics.

This allows me, a socially awkward and easily flustered person, to live the fantasy of being good at words I haven’t prepared ahead of time. I’m not saying make your friend play a bard. I’m saying make sure your friend knows that this is acceptable in your game. Make sure the other players know it is too. It relieves a lot of my anxiety when I can do this. Even as a GM, it’s useful to be able to describe in third person rather than first and to summarize a conversation rather than quote/act it out.

I have a lot more I could complain a out WRT to people getting pissy about being “in character” and such, but that’s not helpful.

As a second question. Is your friend looking to play a character who has no social presence or simply worried about the possibility of social interaction making them the center of focus? The first is easy. Play barbarian. Smash anything that annoys you.

For the second, a Ranger or rogue works best. Just grab HIPS and lots of stealth. Even when not actively hiding, or even using mechanics at all, allowing a stealthy to essentially fade into the background of social scenes is both a character trait and likely to let them be in the scene without ever being the center of attention.

Even a bard could double down on manipulation and running stuff from the shadows instead of being a face. So I think defining this based on classes is not going to be the most helpful approach. The best things you can do will be to ensure that the GM knows not to plan to make your friend the center of attention, and to make sure the group is okay with summary and goal-based descriptions of social interaction rather than requiring first person ad lib.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneymg View Post
    One of the things I do when I play a bard is to describe what I want from a social interaction, rather than do first person role play. Saying “I’m going to try to hint that I’m a spy too” is as abstract as saying “I cast phantasmal killer” or “I hit it with my axe.” All three are statements of intent followed by game mechanics.

This allows me, a socially awkward and easily flustered person, to live the fantasy of being good at words I haven’t prepared ahead of time. I’m not saying make your friend play a bard.
    Clever method. Realistically how many people could accurately portray a character with 20 intelligence? Very few I expect. Speaking of the outcome desired instead of the exact dialogue makes a lot of sense.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't usually associate a personality trait to a class, but in this case I would avoid something that uses charisma, unless I wanted to create an oxymoron. A shy wizard apprentice or druid who feels more comfortable with animals would be my go to if I was building that concept.

"Summon a Strong Monster, and you're good for an encounter. Learn how to Planar Bind a Strong Monster, and you'll never have to worry about an encounter for the rest of your Adventuring Days."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

This thread is just so full of humor and win. Kudos all around!

If we'd been talking about the character, I'd have recommended Frenzied Berserker.

As it stands, it depends on the *group* dynamics as to where the pressure will be. But a character with a singular focus, (like a Tainted Sorcerer Mailman), might make it clear what the character does. For the right group, I'll second "most any class can work".

But just scream "not the face! Not the face!" Make it your battlecry. (It's Arthur-approved!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneymg View Post
    One of the things I do when I play a bard is to describe what I want from a social interaction, rather than do first person role play.

This allows me, a socially awkward and easily flustered person, to live the fantasy of being good at words I haven’t prepared ahead of time.

I have a lot more I could complain a out WRT to people getting pissy about being “in character” and such, but that’s not helpful.
    Right on. You do what works for you.

That said… would you feel comfortable with a GM like me, who *also* asks for a "your version of the words", so I can check for things like "name-dropped Gandalf" or "asked Dobbie to sit, like an equal"?

Clever method. Realistically how many people could accurately portray a character with 20 intelligence? Very few I expect. Speaking of the outcome desired instead of the exact dialogue makes a lot of sense.
    Heh. When I'm role-playing Quertus, my signature academia mage for whom this account is named, I have experience difficulty coming up with producing the words he'd use sufficiently grandiose verbiage on the fly in an adequately extemporaneous fashion as to maintain conversational tempo. Attempting such a doomed endeavor invariably results in periodic word misusage, which is decidedly inopportune role-playing comportment.

I can only hope that my fellow players & the GM attribute such mistakes to me, and not to Quertus.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Really, any class could work for a player personality trait like that. Just play the character as being shy as well. Even something like Bard or Paladin could work. Super-charismatic - as in, they've got raw charisma, but are afraid of hurting someone. Or a massive case of impostor syndrome or performance anxiety for a Bard. (One bad review will wreck them for a week, sort of thing). A sorcerer might have a history of being run out of town. Barbarian if you're going for a Jeckyll and Hyde (or Bruce Banner / Hulk) sort of split. They're timid and scared, because they're scared of themselves.

But really, this is the sort of thing where D&D can be almost therapeutic for somebody in that situation. If the DM, the player, and the group are cool with it, they could even arrange some sort of adventure based around overcoming that sort of anxiety.

25. - Top - End - #25

I had a very shy player in one of my earliest groups. She played an Elf Wizard, and did alright with that. For her, it was more a matter of letting her come out of her shell by not having certain louder players present - that helped her be more active and participating more.

I don't think a specific class is needed for a shy player. I might recommend something of a support cleric (since the spells can easily be changed around without stress so spell-selection is nothing to worry about) simply because healing and buffs are always good, but I think it could be better to work with the player to create a character rather than to just hand them one. What I would recommend instead is:

• Take some time to speak with them alone, to ask about what kind of character they would play. Not class, but powers or abilities or roles. "I would like to be someone who helps the others" or "I want to be good with swords" kind of things. The important thing is that you find what type of role they could feel comfortable with.
    • Help them build the character they want to play. If you're shy/meek/timid, it's not helping if you're stressing out about build choices or worrying about being the deadweight in the group. If they can feel confident in their character not being "bad", they might have an easier time opening up and being proactive in the game.
    • As the GM, don't put them on the spot suddenly in a session. Rather, bring up small things in the game that you know their character is good with/is of interest to the player or the character without adressing them directly. That way they can choose whether or not they want to have the spotlight on them.
    • Depending on the rest of the group, you might single out one or two other players and ask them if they will try to gently engage with the Shy player IC.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

My first thought on reading OP was "any class can work, but bards would be trickiest." Naturally, I immediately got interested in shy bards as a concept.

A bookish musical historian who gets really into resurrecting forgotten songs and styles? An introvert who seeks to make 100 friends? A gifted writer, who has stage fright performing their own compositions? Or the opposite, a shrinking violet in social interactions who acts confident and bombastic when the spotlight shines?

Every compelling character has some element of irony—some piece that plays against type. There's not a linear correlation where the larger the irony the better the character, though, and inverting core archetype traits risks making them inconsistent. That said, none of the ideas I proposed above are particularly adventurous. There are examples of shy bards in media everywhere.

The opposite also applies: An archivist whose goal is to experience everything so they can write it down, a psion who got hooked on secondhand adrenaline and now wants the real thing, a cloistered cleric on their walkabout year discovering vice for the first time. Give your characters hooks.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I've got nothing against abstracting social interactions, but that's an interesting example to pick, because a lot of aspects of Int/Wis do come down to the player rather than the character.

Like:
    "I move here (to a spot surrounded by foes) and use my most powerful spell to kill this one goon (out of the two dozen there)."
    In most situations, that is a bad plan. And even if the character has Int 30, Wis 30, Knowledge (tactics) +50 ... it will remain a bad plan.

Now hopefully the GM and/or other players would give a warning about an uncharacteristically bad plan. And they might be able to suggest a better one (although no guarantee it'll be an amazing one, sometimes nobody is feeling inspired). But in the end, how savvy a character comes off looking is largely down to how you play them, not the stats alone.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    I've got nothing against abstracting social interactions, but that's an interesting example to pick, because a lot of aspects of Int/Wis do come down to the player rather than the character.

Like:
    "I move here (to a spot surrounded by foes) and use my most powerful spell to kill this one goon (out of the two dozen there)."
    In most situations, that is a bad plan. And even if the character has Int 30, Wis 30, Knowledge (tactics) +50 ... it will remain a bad plan.

Now hopefully the GM and/or other players would give a warning about an uncharacteristically bad plan. And they might be able to suggest a better one (although no guarantee it'll be an amazing one, sometimes nobody is feeling inspired). But in the end, how savvy a character comes off looking is largely down to how you play them, not the stats alone.
    This is where taking a page from GURPS could be handy. They have a "common sense" advantage where the DM (well, GM) would warn you if you were going to do something that was such a bad plan. Maybe give that to the player of a wise character that should know better?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I played an antisocial Tibbit character if you have access to the Dragon Magazine Compendium. Run around in cat form all the time, no need to talk. Took levels in Psi Warrior and focused on claw attack powers.

An artificer would work too, always looking for an excuse to find time alone to craft.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

If it's the player that's shy and not a player wanting to play a shy character, then pretty much any martial class will work, healers and Bards tend to be the ones that have to speak a lot, and spellcasters of any variety have to at least say what spell they are using and sometimes explain the mechanic. On the other hand martial classes (no matter how complex they are under the hood) pretty much just have to say "does X hit?" and "I do Y damage" maybe have them avoid the skill monkey classes like Rogue as that could force them to interact more than they want to. Fighter's, Barbarians, and Rangers are nice for the social impaired. (on that note though they may want to avoid the barbarian as many other players may expect a lot of RP from them)