New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default 5e Spore Druid - Fungal Infestation and Animate Dead question

Two questions.
    1) Do Fungal Infestation Zombies have 1 HP max or 22 HPs max
    2) Can you use one Animate Dead to extend the duration of 4 Fungal Infestation zombies by 24 hours?

Fungal Infestation:
    At 6th level, your spores gain the ability to infest a corpse and animate it. If a beast or a humanoid that is Small or Medium dies within 10 feet of you, you can use your reaction to animate it, causing it to stand up immediately with 1 hit point. The creature uses the Zombie stat block in the Monster Manual. It remains animate for 1 hour, after which time it collapses and dies.

In combat, the zombie's turn comes immediately after yours. It obeys your mental commands, and the only action it can take is the Attack action, making one melee attack.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.
    Animate Dead (my bold added)
    This spell creates an undead servant. Choose a pile of bones or a corpse of a Medium or Small humanoid within range. Your spell imbues the target with a foul mimicry of life, raising it as an undead creature. The target becomes a skeleton if you chose bones or a zombie if you chose a corpse (the DM has the creature’s game statistics).

On each of your turns, you can use a bonus action to mentally command any creature you made with this spell if the creature is within 60 feet of you (if you control multiple creatures, you can command any or all of them at the same time, issuing the same command to each one). You decide what action the creature will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general command, such as to guard a particular chamber or corridor. If you issue no commands, the creature only defends itself against hostile creatures. Once given an order, the creature continues to follow it until its task is complete.

The creature is under your control for 24 hours, after which it stops obeying any command you’ve given it. To maintain the control of the creature for another 24 hours, you must cast this spell on the creature again before the current 24-hour period ends. This use of the spell reasserts your control over up to four creatures you have animated with this spell, rather than animating a new one.
    It seems to me that if it uses the Zombie stat block it's current HPs are 1 but it's max HPs are 22 per the Zombie stat block. (like it made it's Undead Fortitude check) It also seems like to me that a zombie is a zombie regardless of how I get them so I should be able to restock my zombies with reactions and then increase their duration by 24 hours. I can't find anything to back up this position though, and I wanted to hear what other people felt the rules were around these two points.
    Last edited by Coveny; 2021-09-24 at 10:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: 5e Spore Druid - Fungal Infestation and Animate Dead question

I'm inclined to agree with you on the HP point.

Animate Dead's ability to retain control of the created undead only refers to the undead animated by that spell. You can't loose control over the Fungal Infestation zombies, anyway, they just die (again).
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: 5e Spore Druid - Fungal Infestation and Animate Dead question

1. Yes! Just, can't imagine many instances where you would have the opportunity to get them above 1hp.

2. No! Animate Dead does not make your zombie live longer. Animate Dead put's the undead under your control for 24 hours after making it, if you do not renew Animate Dead on a zombie you created after 24 hours, it doesn't die, it just stops obeying you. Fungal Zombie's simply cease to be after a full hour. Casting Animate Dead on a Fungal Zombie is redundant because that Zombie already obeys you regardless.