New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 3D Printer Question

Hello;

With the small printers prices dropping down, I have been toying with the idea of buying one for me.

As I have been doing my research one spec I do not understand is the difference between a "Mono LCD" and one that is not a "mono LCD"?

Other than price I am not understanding what is the difference and what does the mono do for me that makes it more costly?

Understand I am trying to get it but guess it is flying over my head right now.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: 3D Printer Question

Monochrome LCD screen (eg a calculator) vs full color LCD screen (eg your computer monitor). Full color screen will cost more, most likely. I'm not familiar with any printers that use color screens, but I can't imagine any reason that would be useful other than looking nicer.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-25 at 12:06 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

In the context of MSLA resin printers, mono LCD printers use a monochrome LCD mask, which allows the printer to use the UV light source more efficiently and provide better detail and slightly faster per-layer cure times than printers that use a repurposed color LCD to mask the UV light source.

Cheaper and older MSLA printers use color LCDs originally designed for phones or tablets because they were easy and cheap to source. Once the resin printer market got big enough, there was enough demand for monochrome LCDs to make economic sense to produce them at a reasonable cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Oooh, that's a good point. It shouldn't make any difference for FDM printers but I am not familiar with resin. Sounds like this is for MLSA printer, then?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oooh, that's a good point. It shouldn't make any difference for FDM printers but I am not familiar with resin. Sounds like this is for MLSA printer, then?
    Sorry, yes I was looking at the resin printers. So much for me to learn. LOL
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    Hello;

With the small printers prices dropping down, I have been toying with the idea of buying one for me.

As I have been doing my research one spec I do not understand is the difference between a "Mono LCD" and one that is not a "mono LCD"?

Other than price I am not understanding what is the difference and what does the mono do for me that makes it more costly?

Understand I am trying to get it but guess it is flying over my head right now.
    Anycubic makes a fairly popular brand called the Mono, so that may be what you have seen.

It's a resin printer, which prints via UV lights, and is quite good if you want to print out D&D minis and such. Plastic filament printers have a number of advantages...generally less touchy material, cheaper to run, and no toxicity worries, but plastic doesn't have quite the detail that resin does.

I *highly* suggest that if you get a resin printer, you invest in one of those enclosed turntables with additional UV lights for baking the final model. They're not bad, like $50, but the texture is much improved, and if you wish to print and paint miniatures, you'll want it.