A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Mining and Mining Detection Abilities

So, human PC. Has the Mining Proficiency at a proficiency score of 15.

What are their chances of doing dwarf, gnome, or halfling mining detection tricks? Grade or slope, shifting walls, etc? I'm aware of the dwarf Mining Detection Proficiencies, but would you let someone with just Mining do any of that? What about Underground Survival?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mining and Mining Detection Abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, human PC. Has the Mining Proficiency at a proficiency score of 15.

What are their chances of doing dwarf, gnome, or halfling mining detection tricks? Grade or slope, shifting walls, etc? I'm aware of the dwarf Mining Detection Proficiencies, but would you let someone with just Mining do any of that? What about Underground Survival?
    I would say it would be very hard for a human with the Mining Proficiency to pull of the dwarf detection tricks. It would be a bit like a city kid who joined the Boy Scouts trying to out hunt/track a native Australian Bushman. I would say grade or slope would be possible, but shifting walls and the like would require a very damned good roll. Like Crit success good.

Underground Survival is a subset of the Survival proficiency, so I would be unwilling to let a person with "mining" do more than detect possible gas pockets or areas prone to cave-ins, and what to do if you are trapped by a cave-in. Other than that, mining knowledge wouldn't really cover everything that is assumed to be included by the Survival proficiency (Direction, how to find food/water, etc).
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.