New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Special Skills and Unspecial People

WEG 2e R&E

So, Ewoks have three special skills... Thrown Weapons, Glider, and Primitive Construction. Ithorians have two... Agriculture and Ecology.

If I'm a human character, can I use these? If I want to do some Ecology-like investigations, would I use base Knowledge? Science? Planetary Systems? If I'm stuck on an alien planet in just my boxer shorts, what skill would I use to make a hut, or start a garden?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Special Skills and Unspecial People

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    WEG 2e R&E

So, Ewoks have three special skills... Thrown Weapons, Glider, and Primitive Construction. Ithorians have two... Agriculture and Ecology.

If I'm a human character, can I use these? If I want to do some Ecology-like investigations, would I use base Knowledge? Science? Planetary Systems? If I'm stuck on an alien planet in just my boxer shorts, what skill would I use to make a hut, or start a garden?

Yes, you can use those skills. They would default to the skill level of the parent attribute, so "Glider" would fall under the "Mechanical" attribute (the default for piloting skills), for example, and your Ecology-like investigations would be under your "Knowledge" attribute.

2e R&E allows for skill specialization, which is how the Ewoks and Ithorians have those "special skills". They are simply specializations of a much more broad category of Science, in the case of the Ithorians, which in turn is a specialization of "Knowledge".

If you are, in fact, stuck on an alien planet in just your boxer shorts, most of the skills you listed would fall under "knowledge". A "Planetary Systems" check would let you find general information about the planet (if it is known) in much the same way that you could find out about, say, France. You could find that your character knows that Tatooine is hot and covered in sand, that Jawas and Sand People are native to the planet, etc. but survival in the Dune Sea would come down to a series of Knowledge checks to see if your character knows how to survive in his or her boxers in the open desert.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."