New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default 3.5 warlock with eldritch claws question

The eldritch claws says that it gives you two melee claw attacks that do your eldritch blast damage. My question, how does Haste interact with it?
    Last edited by Railak; 2021-09-25 at 10:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 warlock with eldritch claws question

So I don’t think I’d ever considered this before, but I guess Haste doesn’t work on Natural Attacks under rules as written.

I’d be pretty surprised if you had a DM who enforced the “held” weapon bit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It works the same as it would work with any other claw attacks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: 3.5 warlock with eldritch claws question

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It works the same as it would work with any other claw attacks.
    Well technically this is 100% correct, however, it's very unclear how Haste works with any claw attack, if at all....

The solution, of course, it to take Beast Strike and avoid the problem altogether, but I am interested to see if anyone has seen precedent for Haste working or not working with natural weapons.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    Well technically this is 100% correct, however, it's very unclear how Haste works with any claw attack, if at all....

The solution, of course, it to take Beast Strike and avoid the problem altogether, but I am interested to see if anyone has seen precedent for Haste working or not working with natural weapons.
    A Kensai can enhance a natural weapon with speed. It's an extra attack. It doesn't cause any problems mechanically. The only rule is that natural weapons don't get iteratives (excluding UAS). Not to mention ToB has maneuvers that add extra attacks. If a held weapon requires that the weapon be something held in hand, then all unarmed attacks and armor spikes couldn't benefit. I don't think it is actually intended to exclude all these weapon types as the haste effect is on the creature, not the weapon.