New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How vapid were the early 2010s?

I remember the early 2010s as a more vapid time. My fellow college students seemed more interested in partying, becoming rich, and watching reality TV. Reality shows, doctor soaps, and cop shows were the dominant forces on TV.

Yet during this same time period geek culture loses it's stigma. The success of LOTR and Harry Potter blew the door open. Game of Thrones plants fantasy firmly in the mainstream not to mention the growing success of comic book movies.

The sci fi genre experiences a resurgence with movies like "Gravity", "Interstellar", "Guardians of the Galaxy", "Arrival", "The Martian", "Big Hero 6", etc. as well as books like "The Expanse".

Despite there being more space fiction than ever before and games like "Kerbal Space Program" it seems like during the 2010s society lost much interest in space.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc

What happened? Why did society lose it's adventurous side? How did we become so risk averse? Was it the space shuttle disasters? Was it the comforts of modern life? Hey life is good enough so why bother working toward a "Star Trek" like future?

Why were young people more pressured to conform during this time?

Why not aspire to be athletic, fun loving, and yet smart like these badass people called "astronauts"?

Would the world be a better place if astronauts became cooler than reality show stars and professional athletes?
    Last edited by CmdrShep2183; 2021-09-26 at 01:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How vapid were the early 2010s?

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-09-29 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Scrubbed
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-09-29 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Scrubbed
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {scrubbed}

To the OP: you were in college at the time. That's gonna color your worldview. I would suspect that many people feel similarly about THEIR college years, whether that was 2010, 2020, 2000, or any other time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-29 at 10:42 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-09-29 at 10:13 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    {Scrubbed}

In this case i would say the position held in the OP isnt deep, but the mystery of what the end goal here has me fascinated.
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-09-29 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Scrubbed
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

{Scrubbed} (and taking into account that pretty much every decade has been damned as more trivial than the last), but it can fairly easily be reframed as "what was the driving force in changes in Euro-american society and culture during the 2010s?" and I think there's a fairly straightforward answer to that: it's the crash of 2008.

The next few years were spent clawing a way out of the hole left by that. People lost jobs, lost their homes: the sort of sci-fi aspiration the OP talks about came to feel not only less achievable but like more of a luxury in general. Companies became more cautious, adopting a safety-first approach. Innovation took second place to security. Even once the direct impact had worn off, it still left its scars and we're still living with them.

It's by no means the only factor, but I think it's the biggest one.
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-09-29 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Scrubbed
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The next few years were spent clawing a way out of the hole left by that. People lost jobs, lost their homes: the sort of sci-fi aspiration the OP talks about came to feel not only less achievable but like more of a luxury in general. Companies became more cautious, adopting a safety-first approach. Innovation took second place to security. Even once the direct impact had worn off, it still left its scars and we're still living with them.
    Example: the type of life espoused by the Simpson family (single earner with a blue collar job, three children and owning their own home) of the aforementioned show, is now beyond the reach of most American families.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The space thing went bad with the decision to cancel Apollo.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Everything went to heck when people could carry a video camera on their shoulder and a VHS recorder in a satchel.

Gone were the days of professional production; the average person could now record anything they wanted!
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Budget constraints. Found this quote from Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

It’s vastly cheaper to send robots — in most cases, a 50th the cost of sending people. Robots don’t much care how hot or cold space gets; give them the right lubricants, and they’ll operate in a vast range of temperatures. They don’t need elaborate life-support systems either. Robots can spend long periods of time moving around and among the planets, more or less unfazed by ionizing radiation. They do not lose bone mass from prolonged exposure to weightlessness, because, of course, they are boneless. Nor do they have hygiene needs. You don’t even have to feed them. Best of all, once they’ve finished their jobs, they won’t complain if you don’t bring them home.

So if my only goal in space is to do science, and I’m thinking strictly in terms of the scientific return on my dollar, I can think of no justification for sending a person into space. I’d rather send the 50 robots.

But there’s a flip side to this argument. Unlike even the most talented modern robots, humans are endowed with the ability to make serendipitous discoveries that arise from a lifetime of experience. Until the day arrives when bioneurophysiological computer engineers can do a human-brain download on a robot, the most we can expect of the robot is to look for what it has already been programmed to find. A robot — which is, after all, a machine for embedding human expectations in hardware and software — cannot fully embrace revolutionary scientific discoveries. And those are the ones you don’t want to miss.

When the budget shrinks to the point where you can't send one person, you start sending 25 robots, and leave it to the start-ups to ferry Captain Kirk.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Judging by the all scrubbed posts I'm gonna suspect this is not the site to discuss such things.

The neutral response for me is that there is far greater accessibility for the "average person" to express themselves. With so much more media being produced on all levels chances are a lot of it wont appeal to you. It also doesn't represent broader societal trends. Just because a bunch of random folks write and talk about space doesn't the people in positions of actual power care to explore such space travel.

I, personally, don't think we're more vapid today. I would argue we're pitching too far into sanctifying absolutely everything as a deeply serious problem. Everyone's got an opinion and they feel directly entitled to have that opinion taken as seriously as those of a professional by din of social media.
    Last edited by Hagashager; 2021-10-04 at 04:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Budget constraints. Found this quote from Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

When the budget shrinks to the point where you can't send one person, you start sending 25 robots, and leave it to the start-ups to ferry Captain Kirk.
    If all you want to do is science, you don't need people at all, even on Earth. It's not about science. Science is important for learning about things, and making things, however there is more to life than learning and making tech.

Colonising space is about living in space. There was a time when all life on Earth was in the seas. Then some plants colonised the land, then I think insects, then fish. We are decended from the fish. Space is much bigger than the land on Earth was.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The early 2010s were defined by an economic depression and budget cuts. It is profoundly unfair to criticize people for not having much hope for the future when the world economy took a bat to the knee over mortgages.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

If I remember right by being reminded by the first several posts, my favorite TV show was none other than "Scrubs".
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2183 View Post
    I remember the early 2010s as a more vapid time. My fellow college students seemed more interested in partying, becoming rich, and watching reality TV. Reality shows, doctor soaps, and cop shows were the dominant forces on TV.

Yet during this same time period geek culture loses it's stigma. The success of LOTR and Harry Potter blew the door open. Game of Thrones plants fantasy firmly in the mainstream not to mention the growing success of comic book movies.

The sci fi genre experiences a resurgence with movies like "Gravity", "Interstellar", "Guardians of the Galaxy", "Arrival", "The Martian", "Big Hero 6", etc. as well as books like "The Expanse".

Despite there being more space fiction than ever before and games like "Kerbal Space Program" it seems like during the 2010s society lost much interest in space.

What happened? Why did society lose it's adventurous side? How did we become so risk averse? Was it the space shuttle disasters? Was it the comforts of modern life? Hey life is good enough so why bother working toward a "Star Trek" like future?

Why were young people more pressured to conform during this time?

Why not aspire to be athletic, fun loving, and yet smart like these badass people called "astronauts"?

Would the world be a better place if astronauts became cooler than reality show stars and professional athletes?
    Your perspective is centred on anecdotical evidence because as member of a generation cohort you were probably in your early 20s back then and thus more used to vapid stuff, but that's just a reflection a people of your age within your social circle.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lose interest? That implies there was ever interest in the first place. No one has ever cared about space. Ever. {scrubbed}, and interest has waned ever since.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2022-02-16 at 07:39 AM. Reason: scrubbed
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Lose interest? That implies there was ever interest in the first place. No one has ever cared about space. Ever. {scrub the post, scrub the quote}, and interest has waned ever since.
    There were a lot of people watching their TVs to see Neal Armstrong take that giant leap for mankind. The picture was not very good, and the sound wasn't brilliant, but it was live from the fricking Moon. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean nobody does, sometimes you are with the majority, sometimes you are on your own, and usually you can't tell which is which.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2022-02-16 at 07:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There were a lot of people watching their TVs to see Neal Armstrong take that giant leap for mankind. The picture was not very good, and the sound wasn't brilliant, but it was live from the fricking Moon. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean nobody does, sometimes you are with the majority, sometimes you are on your own, and usually you can't tell which is which.
    I'd add that many of us weren't even from either country concerned. My parents thought it important enough to make sure I was awake to see it (gone midnight during a school week to boot), and one of my friends still resents his parents not waking him up for it.

Lots of people care about "Space", even now. It's just not bundled up in a big event like the Moon landing(s) were.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

The early 2010s never happened: NASA faked them!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    The early 2010s never happened: NASA faked them!

By pop-culture output I’d say you’re correct!

I can well remember thousands of films, songs, and television shows made in the 1960’s, ‘70’s, and ‘80’s, and with a rising population the output of those should be more, but I can only remember a couple dozen made in the 1990’s and less than a dozen made in the 21st century, therefore not as many years have passed since the 1980’s as has been alleged.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

I can well remember thousands of films, songs, and television shows made in the 1960’s, ‘70’s, and ‘80’s, and with a rising population the output of those should be more, but I can only remember a couple dozen made in the 1990’s and less than a dozen made in the 21st century, therefore not as many years have passed since the 1980’s as has been alleged.
    Or like me, you are getting old and your memory is fading and failing.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Lose interest? That implies there was ever interest in the first place. No one has ever cared about space. Ever. {scrub the post, scrub the quote} and interest has waned ever since.
    You know what really grinds my gears? This Neil Armstrong. Neil Armstrong with all those weird outfits, jumping around there on the moon, wearing a glass bubble with your weird outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go to the moon? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing that moon dust all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Neil? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no man anywhere wants to go to the moon, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2022-02-16 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    You know what really grinds my gears? This Neil Armstrong. Neil Armstrong with all those weird outfits, jumping around there on the moon, wearing a glass bubble with your weird outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go to the moon? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing that moon dust all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Neil? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no man anywhere wants to go to the moon, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.
    He was a fan of making objectively terrible jokes about the moon and when nobody laughed, would chuckle and say "ah, I guess you had to be there".
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    He was a fan of making objectively terrible jokes about the moon and when nobody laughed, would chuckle and say "ah, I guess you had to be there".
    Did he manage to get the other eleven, when present, to go along with the gag?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-01-06 at 06:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Did he manage to get the other eleven, when present, to go along with the gag?
    Imean that would have been brilliant if they did. But he didn't do any of it - it's a joke by Albert Brooks (who I will forever maintain has always been criminally underappreciated as the comedic genius that he is).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

In the early 10's, I was a young teenager, only tangentially aware of the bad stuff in the world, therefore it was objectively a better time for everyone, you can't convince me otherwise.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it's easy to forget that we are living in a more or less purely subjective world. Sping water has basically always the same temperature of around 22°C. When I drink it in the winter, it seems warm, when I drink it in a hot summer, that seems cool, but it's always the same 22°C.

I grew up in a time of miracles.

{Scrubbed}. Communication was still analog landlines and the internet a 14.4K modem connected to a C64.

Growing up, I saw the seemingly impossible happen:{Scrubbed} the world banding together to battle the threat of the ozone hole / establishing the FCKW ban, the end of the long 80s stagflation, {scrubbed} and the beginning of the digital age.

I guess that is when you have to be very carefull:
    - My parents grew up in the {scrubbed} and had to rebuild everything. From their perspective, I already had it easy.
    - I grew up in a time and age when {scrubbed} was part of everyday life and simply had to be accepted. Compared to that, things like the subprime crisis seem trivial.
    .... and so on.

So I guess we struggled with our monumental tasks and got them done, passing a better world and the technology we invented on to the next generation, enjoying a lighter, happier time for a while, thereby forgetting that that next generation is struggling with the monumental tasks of their time and are far from resolving those.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2022-02-16 at 07:45 AM. Reason: scrubbed

29. - Top - End - #29
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

The Mod Life Crisis: Please don't post about real world politics on this forum.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

That's because film and television ceased to be the primary mediums of audiovisual entertainment, replaced by streaming services like Netflix and video hosting sites like Youtube, Dailymotion, and TikTok
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)