A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default No GM Interest. Closed

I got a Character Idea I'm hoping to get into a game. And it seems like Iron Gods..or a Similar Setting would fit wonderfully with them.

She's a Scholar//Technician (though what past that is depending on the end setting) and would require Emerging Firearms, as she's in the end...sort of a Alchemist/Gunslinger, so I'm hoping for Gestalt and Spheres of Might/Power.
    Last edited by CrystalMists; 2021-10-13 at 09:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Gods Adventure Path Or Similar Setting [PF1E] (Looking for GM/Players)

I have wanted to play Iron Gods for years and never had the chance, so I'm interested.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Iron Gods Adventure Path Or Similar Setting [PF1E] (Looking for GM/Players)

Updating a module to gestalt is always a bit rough, so I don't think I can DM... but I'd love to play! Love spheres gestalt.

EDIT: Probably as the Necrotech Savant Necros//...something. Cyber fleshcrafting ahoy!

EDIT AGAIN: Tossing in an interest in Akasha, if the prospective DM likes the subsystem. From DSP. The Helmsman is an akashic mech rider class, and loads of fun. (If that doesn't work, I'll be an Magus with a musket or chainsaw or something. Maybe an Acupuncturist Investigator. Who knows!)
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2021-09-26 at 11:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Iron Gods is written to use the Pf Technology Guide. Which, in addition to being pretty bad, is also running a very different set of assumptions than something like a SoM Technician. Technology Guide (and Iron Gods) is about finding might-as-well-be-magic items. The skilled users are still scavengers, not inventors or fabricators.

I'm not sure how to square that circle.
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Well, Iron Gods is written to use the Pf Technology Guide. Which, in addition to being pretty bad, is also running a very different set of assumptions than something like a SoM Technician. Technology Guide (and Iron Gods) is about finding might-as-well-be-magic items. The skilled users are still scavengers, not inventors or fabricators.

The two possibilities I see are:

1. Raise the stakes of everything to compensate. Yes, the Technician has jetpacks... but the "Iron Gods" have teleporters and laser rifles! (This, I think, would be tacky.)

2. Play into the fact that Iron Gods starts at level one. The Technician starts with a single Invention-- saying "we're scavengers that have tasted these secrets, and want more" does get in the way of character concepts that revolve around being a genius/building mecha suits from scratch, but outside of that, it should work pretty well.

You'd have to do some work as you level up; reverse engineering, prying new inventions from the crash site, etc. But I do think the range of character possibilities-- from "this one mecha helmet is my family's long-held inheritance, and I'm here in the hopes of bolstering our collection" and onward-- is pretty fun. It does mean that the surrounding town has to be a little more aware of the tech than Iron Gods presumes... but that's fine.

6. - Top - End - #6

I wonder if trying to play a completely non-tech character at level 1 (such as a straight wizard) then gradually adapts to the tech world would be a good idea.
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    I wonder if trying to play a completely non-tech character at level 1 (such as a straight wizard) then gradually adapts to the tech world would be a good idea.
    I think that's exactly what you're supposed to do. Iron Gods is an homage to the old Expedition to the Barrier Peaks adventure and the other entries in the "fantasy adventurers find a crashed spaceship and fight aleins" genre.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cecil1994 View Post
    The two possibilities I see are:

1. Raise the stakes of everything to compensate. Yes, the Technician has jetpacks... but the "Iron Gods" have teleporters and laser rifles! (This, I think, would be tacky.)

2. Play into the fact that Iron Gods starts at level one. The Technician starts with a single Invention-- saying "we're scavengers that have tasted these secrets, and want more" does get in the way of character concepts that revolve around being a genius/building mecha suits from scratch, but outside of that, it should work pretty well.

You'd have to do some work as you level up; reverse engineering, prying new inventions from the crash site, etc. But I do think the range of character possibilities-- from "this one mecha helmet is my family's long-held inheritance, and I'm here in the hopes of bolstering our collection" and onward-- is pretty fun. It does mean that the surrounding town has to be a little more aware of the tech than Iron Gods presumes... but that's fine.
    Well since Spheres would be involved..thats almost as easy as making madatory tech Sphere specific drawbacks...and just letting Technician do it's thing with a bit more understanding that it's got a bit of a heads up on the tech game... (I mean..my character is "technically" gonna be tech herself..being an android and all.. unless that gets veto'd as a race).
    Either way..I sorta knew that might be an issue; and added the "or similar setting" line.. Bit more of a High Fantasy World (like how alot of final fantasy's are).

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

Hm. Interesting concept.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quivernas View Post
    I think that's exactly what you're supposed to do. Iron Gods is an homage to the old Expedition to the Barrier Peaks adventure and the other entries in the "fantasy adventurers find a crashed spaceship and fight aleins" genre.
    Mm, this rings true to me. Swapping off my mech-rider build for... Striker//something.
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2021-09-27 at 09:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by cecil1994 View Post
    Mm, this rings true to me. Swapping off my mech-rider build for... Striker//something.
    I mean, you can do whatever you want. Be a rogue member of the Technic League if that floats your boat.

It's one of the nice/frustrating things about Pathfinder. You can have a psionic martial artist teaming with a ghost summoning occultist, a sword-swinging barbarian pirate and a giant anthropomorphic Corgi. All adventuring in a gothic horror setting with dragons and rogue AIs. The system cares about the stats; everything else is negotiable.