New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default It seems like 5.5e or an FR box set is going to be announced Sunday

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967374...&selectObb=new

Apparent a major new product is going to be announced at the future of D&D panel with Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins joining original planned Panelists Ray and Liz.

This is a price point for the 3 core book gift set, so it's likely 5.5e being announced, although outside chance that they are going big Forgotten Realms setting product, a box set with books covering Maztica, Zakhara, Faerun, Kara Tur.

Nothing less justifies a $170usd price point for a book product.
    Last edited by Gyor; 2021-09-24 at 02:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: It seems like 5.5e or an FR box set is going to be announced Sunday

I really, really hope that it isn't 5.5.

I could see it being something like a setting book bundled with adventures, you could build out an entire setting presence in one foul swoop.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gyor View Post
    What if it was a 800 page Planescape Sourcebook?

It won't be, but I would grab that in a heartbeat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I doubt it. My expectation is that it's going to be a special edition bundle of the Core 3 books with XGTE and TCOE with a handful of extra knick knacks like a DM screen and dice set.

It could be called " The big bundle of everything" your perfect starter set for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This "5.5e is coming right now" kick is killing me, but who knows, I could always be wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

5.5e/6e has been three months away since mid-2015, if internet predictions are to be believed.

D&D is on something like a 6-year growth streak. It has never been this popular. Hasbro's not rocking that boat.

Plenty of lesser things justify it, actually. Fans will absolutely pay $170 for a fancy collector's version of something they already own.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2021-09-24 at 02:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Plenty of lesser things justify it, actually. Fans will absolutely pay $170 for a fancy collector's version of something they already own.
    As someone who knew people who bought the leather-covered version of 3.5 books, I agree.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Paging @jaappleton...

Paging @jaappleton...

...I kid. 5.5 would be an odd choice at the moment, I feel like -- but maybe some kind of special Forgotten Realms/Legend of Drizzt bundle, or some kind of reprint bundle of a bunch of their WotC adventures.
    Last edited by Abracadangit; 2021-09-24 at 02:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967374...&selectObb=new

This is a price point for the 3 core book gift set, so it's likely 5.5e being announced, although outside chance that they are going big Forgotten Realms setting product, a box set with books covering Maztica, Zakhara, Faerun, Kara Tur.

Dark Sun: three core books, Dark Sun adventure book with finished psionics package, as well as Tasha's and Xanathar's player options combined into a new player guide.

OK, a man can dream, right?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

that is way too high to justify a price point for 5.5 (which they would presumably want to be accessible and widespread), and that's even without using Tasha's quality as a baseline for justifying a price!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSoul View Post
    that is way too high to justify a price point for 5.5 (which they would presumably want to be accessible and widespread), and that's even without using Tasha's quality as a baseline for justifying a price!
    Agreed. I'd expect 5.5 to come in a set, but also in three separate books. And I hope it doesn't come any time soon.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Look at the calendar. There are less than 100 shopping days to Christmas. Price rises attending to the Christmas season are not unheard of.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Dark Sun: three core books, Dark Sun adventure book with finished psionics package, as well as Tasha's and Xanathar's player options combined into a new player guide.

OK, a man can dream, right?
    I'd pay more than $170 for that.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by verbatim View Post
    What if it was a 800 page Planescape Sourcebook?

It won't be, but I would grab that in a heartbeat.
    These books would each have to have to be very large. Outside chance of Planejammer, but based on price few setting could fill such a an expensive setting product other then FR, just 5.5e is still more likely as we've had races and class surveys on the races and classes of the PHB months ago, likely gathering data for a serious update.

It would be a bundle of 3 most likely heavily beefed up core books, it's actually the same price roughly of the current Core Book Gift set.
    Last edited by Gyor; 2021-09-24 at 03:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Look at the calendar. There are less than 100 shopping days to Christmas. Price rises attending to the Christmas season are not unheard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    I doubt it. My expectation is that it's going to be a special edition bundle of the Core 3 books with XGTE and TCOE with a handful of extra knick knacks like a DM screen and dice set.

It could be called " The big bundle of everything" your perfect starter set for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This "5.5e is coming right now" kick is killing me, but who knows, I could always be wrong.
    As Korvin points out, the proximity of the "holiday shopping season" makes it likely to be some special boxset. I remember several of 4E's box-sets came out right before the holidays.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    As Korvin points out, the proximity of the "holiday shopping season" makes it likely to be some special boxset. I remember several of 4E's box-sets came out right before the holidays.
    It AFTER the Holiday season, Holiday season is over when January hits.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

It AFTER the Holiday season, Holiday season is over when January hits.
    Preorders mean that plenty of people can still get it for the holidays. Be it as a gift, or using a gift card. It's likely in January becuase Strixhaven is in December and releasing two books in one month is more likely to cannibalise their own sales.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

These books would each have to have to be very large. Outside chance of Planejammer, but based on price few setting could fill such a an expensive setting product other then FR, just 5.5e is still more likely as we've had races and class surveys on the races and classes of the PHB months ago, likely gathering data for a serious update.
    I would be surprised if the race/class stuff alone was enough to justify such large-scale edition changes. Given WotC's recent statements on 5e's early modules WRT racial connotations & assumptions, I expect they'll be taking a more "we'll try to do better in future books we publish, but aren't looking backward" approach.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

I, for one, really hope it's a detailed, lore-filled Atlas of Toril. There has been talk for a while about moving away from the Forgotten Realms, so a three-book send-off seems fitting.

A guy can dream, but I echo others here when I say I really hope it's not 5.5e.

19. - Top - End - #19

I for one would welcome 5.5. I think there are quite a bit of aspects that could be improved. To name a few: class balancing, feat balancing, invisibility mechanic, short/long rest problems, psionics, etc.

Although I agree 5e is an excellent and balanced edition, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the current problems fixed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    5.5e/6e has been three months away since mid-2015, if internet predictions are to be believed.
    Since mid-2013, more like.

21. - Top - End - #21

It would be a bundle of 3 most likely heavily beefed up core books, it's actually the same price roughly of the current Core Book Gift set.
    Based on the OP, it's the lack of associated separate books that's the issue for the 5.5e core book set hope
    (That and Tasha's gives me little hope for 5.5e, but that's quality rather than occurrence haha)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhocian Xothara View Post
    I, for one, really hope it's a detailed, lore-filled Atlas of Toril. There has been talk for a while about moving away from the Forgotten Realms, so a three-book send-off seems fitting.

A guy can dream, but I echo others here when I say I really hope it's not 5.5e.
    After 5.5e edition, this is the only other likely option, few D&D settings would support or be able to filled 3 Core Set Sized books in 5e, and the few that could would be too high risk at this price point.

And they did say the classic settings that were coming would be in a new print format, a box set of books would fit that for FR.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Based on the OP, it's the lack of associated separate books that's the issue for the 5.5e core book set hope
    (That and Tasha's gives me little hope for 5.5e, but that's quality rather than occurrence haha)
    just because there is no link for seperate books yet, doesn't mean there won't be later.

24. - Top - End - #24

just because there is no link for seperate books yet, doesn't mean there won't be later.
    Agreed, but hey, you go with what you've got now for random conjecture! :P

25. - Top - End - #25

I doubt it's 5.5.

But...i kinda wouldn't mind if it was, either. Imagine sorcerer upgrades and ranger remakes and wildshape simplification and summoning spells all being fixed? Imagine redoing CR to make more sense? Imagine if blade lock had SADness before Hex blade so that a hexblade could be interesting instead of strong? Imagine all druids had alternative uses for wild shape? Imagine maneuvers for all martials and b/p/s weapons actually having a useful distinction?

Which is why it won't happen. Because everyone has a slightly different idea of what improvements would be needed, and more importantly, why fix what ain't broke? WOTC has been making money hand over fist with no signs of slowing down, why kill the golden goose?

It's also not the first expensive option. I've seen exclusive deluxe box sets with really expensive lucre that I lust over but am too practical to spend my own money on. I'd lay money on it being some deluxe redo of an existing product.

26. - Top - End - #26

Having just purchased the latest couple books for 5.0 I would be rather unhappy to find out they sold these new books knowing they were about to do a new 5.5. I bet I would not be alone. When 3.5 cam out there was a break from new books for a little while and it was known for some time. It didn't just pop up. So I expect this is another of those internet rumors.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    Having just purchased the latest couple books for 5.0 I would be rather unhappy to find out they sold these new books knowing they were about to do a new 5.5. I bet I would not be alone. When 3.5 cam out there was a break from new books for a little while and it was known for some time. It didn't just pop up. So I expect this is another of those internet rumors.
    3.5e was supposed to be very compatible with 3e, but it was far from it outside a few things. 5.5e on the other hand will likely be Tasha's Coldren of Everything retroactively applied, along with stuff like more races, and maybe adding the Artificer to the PHB, but except for suggested rule PHB +1 (which even AL has dumped) its likely completely compatible with 5e. Look to Tasha's and post Tasha's books for ideas on what 5.5e will look like. You'll still be able to use like subclasses from XGTE with this hypothetical 5.5e. Some of the fluff might change, to reflect current...fads.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Lmao, its just going to be a leatherbound PHB.

People are really thinking they're going to just drop PHB 5.5e like this? With no announcement that it was in the works? No leaks? Absolute madness.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    Lmao, its just going to be a leatherbound PHB.

People are really thinking they're going to just drop PHB 5.5e like this? With no announcement that it was in the works? No leaks? Absolute madness.
    It's too cheap for a leather bound version, that would be way more expensive then even the alt cover gift set.

Plus there were hints of a sort, the detailed surveys on PHB races/subraces and classes that was checking customer satisfaction with each race, it's features, subraces, and things folks would like to see changed, I knew when I took that survey that 5.5e of some sort (and they might not call it that of course, but really since Tasha's it's 5.5e already, it's just the core books haven't been updated to reflect that yet).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

It's too cheap for a leather bound version, that would be way more expensive then even the alt cover gift set.

Plus there were hints of a sort, the detailed surveys on PHB races/subraces and classes that was checking customer satisfaction with each race, it's features, subraces, and things folks would like to see changed, I knew when I took that survey that 5.5e of some sort (and they might not call it that of course, but really since Tasha's it's 5.5e already, it's just the core books haven't been updated to reflect that yet).
    Honestly, I don't see Tasha's as being a 5.5e. Basically it only touched a few things, and doesn't actually make significant core changes to mechanics, which is what I'd expect from an edition update. If they're going to expect people to re-buy the core books over a change that can be summed up in about 2 paragraphs...yeah.

And anything more significant/core-affecting would need way more playtesting and trial balloons than they've given any sign of.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.