New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Sisters' Chronicles

"You coul-" Ethrindae shutted up as a wolf's howl resounded from the forest. A weird, dissonant howl- whatever wolf it was must have been pretty weird.
    "...that...didn't sound healthy. There's a village within this forest" she said as she climbed atop her horse. The dragonborn moved to climb up but she shook her head.
    "One of us two needs to stay here"

Ronald meanwhile beamed at Alifa.
    "Of course! Look here, no trick, no lie, I-" he glanced at her book and looked down embarassed "Ah, no, not that kind"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Boots stood up. "I'll go with you," she told the druid.

Alifa closed her book and stood up. "What's happening? Are people in danger?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"Possibly. The people in the village are not fighters, but can still fend off predators that are hungry enough to stray near village limits... But that howl wasn't a normal wolf's one. Best case is a wolf-like monster, worst case is a darkling" she looked at them "Nabar, free a horse from the carriage- if either of you can ride one, take that. The other can ride on that one or with me- Nabar, stay here with Xvchimeras" she barked orders rapidly.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Boots looked torn. On the one hand, she was the more experienced rider. On the other, being one the same horse as Ethrindae. She climbed onto Ethrindae's horse and looped her arms around the woman's waist.
    Alifa climbed onto the loosed horse. "Hello," she said as calmly as she could, trying to soothe the animal.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

The horse whinnied in... What looked like an appreciative tone, as far as Alifa knew. Luckily it knew to follow Ethrindae's white stallion, so what Alifa really needed to do was hold on after making it start running.

"Hold thight" Ethrindae told Boots before spurring her white horse to a gallop, Alifa's one following.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    There's nothing making Alifa have an hard time riding the horse, up to you how easy the ride is for her.

"If you've got anything you want to do in preparation before we get there now's the time- if someone's in danger it'll likely be a fight on the village grounds" she warned them, as she made goodberries in her hand.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-28 at 05:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Boots held tight, as directed. "Okay!" she said, and as they came close, she blew a kiss to Alifa and, after explaining what she was doing, turned her "holding on" into a hug around Ethrindae.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show
    Bless on all three of us. Sune's power is spread through affection.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

As the group neared the village, the first thing they heard were the screams. The second thing was a couple more screams- homewever these were otherwordly, sending shivers down the trio's spines and the horse started whinning nervously. It wasn't long before they saw the houses, lights from torches illuminating the place enough to see people running away scared... And two wolves that looked like they hadn't eaten in days each dragging away two grown adults with a strenght they looked like they shouldn't have. Hearing the horses approach, the wolves let go of their victims and looked up at them, a thin line going from their nose to the back of the head.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Ethrindae (1d20+3)[16]
    Wolf? (1d20+2)[11]
    Wolf? (1d20+2)[16]

"Not darklings, not wolves, hack away"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Since the... animals? Were actively killing people, Alifa pointed at one and reached out toward its life force before launching a bolt at it. Her horse bucked and reeled back, and Alifa just fell off. She got up, trying not to look too much like that hurt.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hex the closest wolf. ELDRITCH BLAST
    (1d20+5)[19]+(1d4)[1] bless
    (1d10)[3]+(1d6)[3] force/necrotic.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa's beam landed in the shoulder of one of the wolves?, Nearly blowing it off- the denutrition these creatures had gone through had left them brittle, though it was still up.

Ethrindae brought Clephesia and herself closer to them, one of her hands turning into claws which she used to try and claw at the monster- but it whiffed big time.

One wolf? (the wounded one) looked at Alifa, the other at the two riders... And their head skin ripped off, their cranium emerging as they screamed a nightmarish sound to their minds.

"Krenshars!? Here!?"
    Show
    Wis save DC 10, Frightened on a fail. Repeat the save at the end of the round.

Ehtrindae (1d20+5)[11]+(1d4)[4]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Boots leapt from the horse and lifted her longsword in both hands, bringing it down just as she landed to pierce the creature's spine.
    Alifa aimed her beam into the other "wolf"'s head, and from where her ray hit rot and sickness grew out until the skin on the head dissolved into ash and the brain within rotted.
    Then the wolf-beings were still.
    "What is a krenshar?" Boots asked while Alifa checked the bodies they had been dragging.

Show
    Are they dead?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

The two adults that had been dragged looked terrified, hurt but alive- they were too scared to move. Judging by the powers the krenshars exhibited, they were supernaturally scared.

"Wolfine monstrosities that live in the mountains" Ethrindae knelt to examine the corpses "Which means they traveled.. All of the kingdom to come down here from the mountains. It makes no sense for them to be here" she stated.
    "They're so consumed... This might have been the first food they could have gotten in a while. Krenshars tipically hunt down bigger preys because they can scare them into powerlessness, so a village of humanoids must've looked like a buffet"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-28 at 06:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"We need to bring these people back."
    "No problem." Boots looked to Ethrindae. "Can you keep one of them on the horse? I'll carry the other one."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Ethrindae nodded, asking for Boots' help on loading the person on the horse- then the group started making its way back. It wasn't far.

"The run-away horse should get back to the camp which will make Nabar come find us- we'll be able to get back that way. But... Two krenshars would be weird, they are usually a pack" Ethrindae bit her lip.
    "Would you... Be up for trying to find them? Those two were weak, but the rest of the pack could be very dangerous due to numbers alone. We're talking four more at the least... And you were good out there" she looked at them both with appreciation, especially at Boots who had cleaved a krenshar in half with a single hit. Alifa had taken double that.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Do all circuses in this world fight monsters?" Boots asked.
    "We'd be happy to," Alifa chimed in. Boots picked up the other person.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"Only those that have both an healer that can cleanse corruption and someone resistant to it" Ethrindae laughed "I would not have rushed to help if I wasn't a good enough healer. Xvchimeras and his steed are an example of what happens when you get lucky" she explained as they entered the village, looking at people recovering from their fright.

And then there were more howls. Wherever the krenshars were, they were closing in.

Show
    I'm gonna say that you still got a couple rounds of Bless- everything's been happening fast.

And plenty of time for Hex.

The village has three entrances, one of which is not lightened up by torches which have been thrown down in likely the general panic. By the look of the people, Ethrindae is the only one you can count on.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-28 at 06:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Boots helped one lady off of the horse. "Find a sturdy building, keep the door closed," she said, and strapped on her shield. "Let's go."

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    So... it's initiative?

By the way I will have Hex give disadvantage on strength checks
    Alifa: (1d20+2)[8]
    Boots: (1d20)[1]
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

As the lady (and most people) followed Boots' advice, they felt growling as two krenshars appeared from one of the lit up entrances and another appeared from the other lit up entrance.

"At least one more"

Spoiler: Initiative, yes
    Show
    Ethrindae (1d20+3)[4]
    Malnourished Krenshars (6d20)[7][7][17][11][11][10](63) all +2

The visible krenshars are around 60 feet away, at the edge of the lit up area.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-28 at 07:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

One of the Krenshars advanced, skin pulling back from its head as a mental scream struck their minds- while this happened another Krenshar rushed at Boots, jaws snapping as it tried to bite into her arm but a bash with the shield kept it at bay.

Another Krenshar instead charged at Alifa and at the same time a fourth one lept from the dark, shoulder-slamming into her knee to unbalance her as the first went for the throat.
    That was useless though, Alifa leaping gracefully around one of them while the other's jaws bit the air.

Show
    Attacks missed, one is in melee with Boots and the other two with Alifa (though you're like, 5 feet apart so you can easily get in melee with whoever you want) while one Krenshar is 30 feet away, trying to scare you.

Alifa and Boots each make one DC 10 Wis save to not be Frightened, then it's Alifa's turn. Gimme Perception checks while you're at it.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-28 at 07:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa sang a song in an ancient tongue that threatened all around her with insanity. The two dogs near her started drooling and dozing, eyes shut tight from the mad ramblings of a long-dead world. She then held out a hand toward the one attacking Boots and her fingers glowed blue as she felt its heart in her hands... ready to crush it.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

As the two fell asleep and the third looked uncomfortable, Ethrindae took the acorn pendant off of her neck, placing a kiss on it.
    "Krenshars... I can see your hunger driving you mad. But... I'm afraid it's not right for you to prey on these people" she threw the acorn which as it hit the ground opened up, and a green panther sprung out of it right in the face of the farthest Krenshar, immediately going for a bite- homewever its head got pawed aside before it had a change to cause pain.

Show
    Ethrindae used Summon Land Beast- Alifa can get a good look at the spell. Nevermind that the Beast missed big time.

Situation:
    - Two sleepy Malnourished Krenshars next to Alifa.
    - One fighting with Boots.
    - One 30 feet away fighting with Ethrindae's summon.

It is Boots.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-29 at 02:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Boots, her shield in front of her chest, brought her sword – the Green Fang – down on the krenshar in front of her. Thunder rumbled slightly as she did so, ready to truly burst if the creature fled.
    Show
    I am casting Booming Blade, mainly to get in the habit. Before I hit level 5 I'll never have any reason to use normal attack over Booming Blade. 20 to hit, 9 damage.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Two more Krenshars emerged from the darkness, taking Ethrindae by surprise- one of them locked its jaws on her arm, pulling her down, while the other clawed at her belly eliciting a pained groan. Meanwhile, the one attacking Boots managed to knock her down as well but didn't have anybody to capitalize on it- Ethrindae's summon vanished, the Krenshar it was holding back joining the other trying to take Boots down.

Show
    Boots takes 6 piercing damage and is Prone, in melee with two Krenshars- nothing's holding her down though.

Ethrindae is prone as well, with two Krenshars in melee- she's been dealt 12 damage, and looks pretty heavily wounded.

Alifa is fresh as a rose, with two sleeping doggos by her side. And it's her turn.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-29 at 06:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa looked at Boots, who was on the ground but mostly fine. She turned her attention to the Krenshars tackling Ethrindae... and uttered out the mind-breaking words of the Far Realm once more, the murmuring licking at the consciousness of three Krenshars... their eyes rolled back in their head, the whites an inky black, and then they hit the ground.
    "How are you two doing?" Alifa asked with a smile.

Boots got up, swinging her sword to get the last awake doggo to back off. "I've been better."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Ethrindae stood up.
    "T-thank you" she murmured and hit the ground with her staff, flowers blooming- the pollen dispersed around her, patching her wounds as she backed off with her horse from the sleeping Krenshars.

The last surviving one was not nearly hungry enough and with a whine turned around to run away.

Show
    Ethrindae Cure Woundses herself: (1d8+3)[5]

The Krenshar Disengages and backs off 30 feet, tail between its legs. It'll be out of sight on its next turn if nobody stops it.

Aaaaand Alifa.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa felt in the air for its heartbeat. She pointed after it and let a blue burst of power loose at it.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    (1d20+5)[19] eldritch blast and (1d10)[9]+(1d6)[1] damage.

Boots got up and started slitting the throats of the sleeping Krenshars.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The running one didn't make it very far before the beam slammed in the back of its exposed cranium, blowing the top off and the brain within- barely had the time to whine.

As Boots did her gruesome job, Ethrindae slumped down against a wall- she looked better then before, though she was still more wounded then one thought comfortable.
    "Those... Were some well timed spells..." she said, smiling appreciatively at Alifa.

The lady Boots had helped earlier poked her head out of a building, having heard the sounds die out.
    "Is... Everything alright...?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"Yep!" Boots said, blood pouring from the next animal down the line as she smiled at the lady. "All clear!"

Alifa smiled back at Ethrindae. "Thank you." She left Boots to her work and sat down next to the elf lady. "I wasn't expecting six."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

The lady didn't not seem too fazed- given how the night had gone, a bleeding beast was the least of her worries.
    Bit by bit, people poked their heads out with various shades of relief on their faces- the children were kept inside though, at least until the beasts had been dealt with and cleared out. They were a bit more impressionable.

"Neither did I... Though I suppose assuming there couldn't be more was naive of me" Ethrindae shrugged.
    "The fact that these were here means that something made them move south- you're bound to find more unusual creatures on your journey"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Boots greeted them as they came out, then ran up to Alifa to get cleaned up.

"I'd kind of figured... thanks for your help," Alifa said. "Should we get back to the others?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

It was about then that Nabar came trotting on the horse that had ran away- he lowered his bow seeing that nobody was in danger, the corpses being dragged away making him understand people were fine.
    "Yes. Sleep will do us some good"

As Ethrindae climbed back on her horse Nabar got down from his to mount with her, leaving a horse for the two sisters to share. Before they could leave one of the villagers went to Boots holding what looked like a picnic basket.

"There's very little we can improvise as a reward- but please, accept this food. It's the least we can do after you saved some of us"

Show
    If you accept you can add three deluxe rations.

Exactly like rations, but the food tastes better. There's fresh vegetables of various kinds- enough variety for balanced dishes. You don't see a whole lot of animals around so for these people meat would be hard to offer.