New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Sisters' Chronicles

The Crossing that would take them the closest to the mountains was, funnily enough, the one they used to come to Faerie the very first time. They just head to leave it going east to get on the road that would take them to mountains.

Once back in the Inner Lands they were met with the same feys- but the atmosphere felt... Darker somehow.

The reason was readily available as outside the Crossing they found the corpse of... what might have been a wyvern- it had been uncerimoniously dumped outside the Crossing, and it reeked of corruption. A second head had sprouted from its neck, and multiple arms with blades had sprouted from its back making the once beautiful creature look like a twisted spider- and its scales were completely black, although the sisters couldn't be sure of what wyverns looked like in this world.

It was dead homewever, and wouldn't stop their advance. The corpse seemed at least a day old but nothing seemed to have touched it- perhaps the druid that watched over the place had made sure animals wouldn't feed on it.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Boots frowned down at it. "I wonder if this works on corpses..." She got down and laid a hand on the wyvern, attempting to cleanse it.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using 5 hp of lay on hands
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

The corpse and the corruption didn't react to her touch- but it wasn't clear wether it was because it was a corpse or because it might had been a full fledged darkling.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

"We should burn it," Alifa said. "So it doesn't spread."
    Boots nodded and Alifa coated it in oil. Then Boots threw a torch on the body and they kept watch until the whole thing was consumed.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

It took a fair amount of time for the body to burn, since a wyvern was pretty big- they didn't seem to be any smaller then the ones in their world.

By the late afternoon though it was essentially fully consumed, and they were free to resume traveling if they so wished.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Oh whoops

They continued on until sunset.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

The travel, now that they weren't anymore in the small Faerie, took a tad more then two days- something that struck them was that there were absolutely no travelers. Nobody was coming down, nobody was going there.

And while in the first half of the travel they had run-ins with krenshars and some other less horrifying mountain creatures wildlife became more and more empty, as if animals had fled even the surrounding area- and it definitely wasn't just because of the temperature getting colder.

In addition, most of the smaller creatures had no problems, but most of the bigger animals would be carrying the mark of corruption on them- all animals that had come down from the mountains.

It was a late afternoon when they got to the feet of the mountains, with the first signs of snow spottable, and found a village that probably had been a thriving place thanks to the travelers that passed by there- it had, homewever, turned into what was basically a ghost village. No life to speak of- houses were empty, no cattle, no carriages or anything, it seemed that people had packed and fled. Whatever was up there had scared everybody into running away.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-10-21 at 08:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Listening for roars, Boots spurred Tilly into the village.
    "Peter, can you run ahead and listen for any roars?" Alifa asked, and sent Peter teleporting off deeper into the mountain. Come back after... two minutes.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

From the village, no roars were audible yet. Or really, any other sound that wasn't enviromental.

After two minutes Peter had yet to come back.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

"There's something up ahead," Alifa said. Boots brought Tilly up to a trot following Peter's path.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

After a brief climb, enough for Tilly to get her feet in the snow -didn't seem like she minded it a lot- they heard them.

A powerful roar, that shook them to their core- it was a roar they were very familiar with. They had grown with creatures like that.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Would you mind giving me Wis saves against Frightened?

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Boots tried to steady Tilly as she looked about for the...

Show
    There are dragons!

Okay, wis saves are the collective best of the party.
    Boots: (1d20+7)[9]
    Alifa: (1d20+9)[26]
    Tilly: (1d20+5)[17]

Initiative, too?
    Boots: (1d20)[13]
    Alifa: (1d20+1)[13]
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Boots and Tilly felt all their senses scream RUN! while Alifa's steely gaze stared ahead- she had seen things.

And indeed, an unmistakable figure came in crashing- the powerful back slammed against a side of the mountain, four legs built with lethal claws scratching at itself as a dragon the color of their sister Noxan slammed into the ground after the crash. Boots and Tilly were too busy shivering, but Alifa could see something was deeply wrong with the silver dragon.

First off, it looked old. It could have rivaled Helryx- homewever, its size wasn't too impressive, being substantially bigger then Tilly but not as much as an old dragon should be and had sickly-looking black pustules covering its body, tendrils spreading along its scales staining the noble creature's scales. She was too far for Boots' divine senses, but it seemed pretty obviously a corrupted creature.

Its right eye had yellow tints and looked around wildly, but the icy gaze of the left one fixed on Alifa, staring straight into her eyes.

"LEAVE! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" it roared at them, making the ground under their feet tremble as a storm brewed overhead.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-10-22 at 09:14 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

"Boots, we have to help that dragon."
    "We have to what?"
    "Come on, Boots, I thought you were a Paladin."
    Boots steeled herself while Alifa dismounted and ran up to the dragon.
    "We can help you, but I need you to calm down!" She said in Draconic. "My sister is a Paladin. She can cure you, but you need to stay still!"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

"No... NO!" the dragon lifted a claw to swipe at Alifa as she got near, but then its whole body jerked back tumbling farther and making the claw just throw snow around- it felt like the dragon was telling no to itself.

It scrambled to its feet, then lifted its tail as the yellowed eye settled on Alifa- and roared, lifting its wings trying to fly off.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-10-22 at 09:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa pointed at the dragon, her voice suddenly steel. "Follow!" She commanded, and started leading the dragon back toward Boots.

Show
    So I'm using Command "Approach" but nicer, and trying to lead it to Boots. It has to pass a DC 16 Wis save or follow the command.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

"You FOOL! I'm trying to protect you!" The dragon snapped and beat its wings as it flew deeper into the mountains- it slammed against a couple walls, before disappearing from sight.

Boots and Tilly felt the terror leave them... Then a hoot hoot as a familiar owl landed ungraciously on Alifa's shoulder, with Peter on its head.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

"Kat! We have to follow that dragon so Boots can heal it!"
    Alifa swung onto Tilly's back. "Follow us as close as you can. Come on, Tilly!"
    Hesitantly, Boots spurred Tilly on to follow the dragon.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

Tilly started galloping- but it wasn't long before an axe planted itself into the ground in front of them.

Coming up on them and even emerging from the snow, warriors dressed in hides wielding crude weaponry rose- all of them looked crazed, even if only some of them carried the taint of corruption. Those were easily recognizable by the darkened skin, with many having developed a layer of fur and bulging muscles.

Show
    Initiative! Feel free to keep the one you rolled.

Wyvernblood barbarians (6d20)[10][1][4][3][10][7](35)+2 each
    Silverlings barbarians (2d20)[15][6](21)+3 each
    Corrupted wyvernbloods (4d20)[5][16][17][3](41)-1 each
    Corrupted silverling (1d20+2)[7]

The wyvernbloods are around 15 feet away, surrounding the sisters as they emerge from the snow, while the corrupted wyvernbloods are creeping from behind rocks 60 feet away.

Both normal and corrupted silverlings are instead coming up on you from 80 feet away, running like madmen.

You aren't surprised because Boots could sense the presence of corruption.

In addition:
    An unseen Kathleyîënis (1d20+3)[13]
    ??? (1d20+3)[9] adv. (1d20+3)[12]

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

The barbarians farthest from them were bounding on their position in great leaps- with sprints, they were soon on the sisters. On the way they inhaled sharply, then released a cold wind that enveloped their weapons.

Show
    Silverlings Dashed and covered 80 feet, are now in your face. They seem to have breathed ice that stuck to their weapons.

It's you!

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    WHIP IT GOOD. I will go Barbarian/Barbarian/Silverling/Silverling.
    Attack 1
    (1d20+8)[11]; (1d6+5)[9]
    (1d20+8)[12]; (1d6+5)[7]
    (1d20+8)[9]; (1d6+5)[7]
    (1d20+8)[10]; (1d6+5)[8]

Attack 2
    (1d20+8)[11]; (1d6+5)[7]
    (1d20+8)[9]; (1d6+5)[7]
    (1d20+8)[10]; (1d6+5)[10]
    (1d20+8)[25]; (1d6+5)[8]

Aaaaaand... quickened Spirit Guardians

Boots maneuvered Tilly into the midst of four enemies and then let her whip fly. As she pulled on her allies and was surrounded by a tumultuous sea of oceanic fey from Queen Nasa's army as the water lapped at their heels and threatened to whelm all of her enemies.

Alifa's inky blue eyes took on a blood red tint, one that reflected a sphere of blood that burst and let loose an ape in the process of being set aflame. She pointed to two of the silverlings.
    "Uddule," she ordered. Attack.
    And with burning fists, it did so.
    "Oooooh a new one! What's its little name?"
    "Greg."
    "Gregfrey, I like it."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-10-22 at 10:49 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

A somewhat familiar crab soldier saluted Boots, before their steam breaths washed over the barbarians.

The two silverlings, joined by three of the weaker barbarians, wailed on the barlgura- cold sank into the demon as the five tore it to shreds.

Or so should have happened- but an arrow flied in and finished a nearly dead silverling, Kathleyîënis revealing her position emerging from behind a rock. The elf's gaze was steeled out and she wore considerably heavier clothes.

Show
    Alright, Kat finished the silverling the barlgura was killing.

Four barbarians attacked the demon- with a minimum attack roll of 15, the barlgura receives 57 slashing damage, plus (2d8)[6] cold damage, not 4d8.

The 2d8 comes from a silverling.

Meanwhile, the three other wyvernbloods swarmed the sisters- in addition, the group of four corrupted barbarians moved closer, throwing axes as they advanced.
    Show
    Three wyvernbloods in melee with you. Four more axethrowers that are now 20 feet away from you.

On Boots 25 to hit, 12 damage and give me a Con save against DC 14 or be Poisoned, repeat the save at the end of your turn.

On Alifa 15 to hit for 10 damage and 12 more damage you cannot block, give me two Con saves as well for the same effect (one if you Shield)

On Tilly 38 damage and 4 Con saves for the same effect.

The greatest of them all, a corrupted silverlings tall and strong, seemed to move to advance- but then from the snow emerged a woman. Almost 7 feet in height, she was on top of the corrupted in seconds- lifting a greataxe with a gigantic blade, she swung once and nearly cleaved the corrupted person in half- a second cut completely severed it in two.
    "You have forgotten yourself" she declared with finality, then advancing on the group. Something that jumped to the eye as she advanced were the horns protunding from her head, similar in shape to a dragon's horns.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-10-22 at 11:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Boots twirled her whip, the magic weapon cutting from one barbarian to the next, splitting veins and flying into eyes while her crabs snipped at the remains.
    Alifa nodded to Gregfrey, who lifted its arms and with a final apelike howl, exploded into burning blood. She watched one of their enemies weakly lift a hand from the ground and she blasted it in the spine, erasing reality right in the central vertebra.

Spoiler: Damage
    Show

Boots damage
    Silverling (1d20+8)[9]; (1d6+5)[11]
    W1 (1d20+8)[24]; (1d6+5)[9] Slashing
    W2 (1d20+8)[11]; (1d6+5)[6] Slashing
    W2 (1d20+8)[14]; (1d6+5)[9] Slashing
    W3 (1d20+8)[20]; (1d6+5)[11] Slashing
    W4 (1d20+8)[14]; (1d6+5)[8] Slashing
    W5 (1d20+8)[22]; (1d6+5)[10] Slashing

Attack two
    Same order
    Silverling (1d20+8)[11]; (1d6+5)[11]
    W1 (1d20+8)[19]; (1d6+5)[11] Slashing
    W2 (1d20+8)[26]; (1d6+5)[10] Slashing
    (1d20+8)[9]; (1d6+5)[7]
    W3 (1d20+8)[24]; (1d6+5)[9] Slashing
    W4 (1d20+8)[16]; (1d6+5)[10] Slashing
    W5 (1d20+8)[24]; (1d6+5)[11] Slashing

Gregfrey! Detonate for 20 fire damage against any of our copious enemies who don't beat a 16 DEX
    And Alifa will rift in reality whoever is on death's doorstep for 8 force damage
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

The remaining corrupted wyvernbloods were either burned by the crab soldiers, blasted, whipped, arrowed or torn apart as the group finished the job.

"You're right, they're good" said the seven foot tall horned woman to Kat, studying Boots' whip.
    "You've bested Agronn, have you?"

"She's Silverlings' leader" Kathleyîënis briefly introduced them "Defeated Agronn who then ran away"

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh. Yeah, we beat Agronn. Is... is this yours?" Boots asked, looking down at the whip. She wasn't holding it out to offer it back.
    They both got off of Tilly, who was having a lot of trouble at the moment.
    "I'm Alifa, and this is Boots. Do you have any idea where that dragon went? If we let the corruption spread all the way to it it could hurt a lot of people."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

"It is not" the woman shook her head "You defeated Agronn, a traitor of our tribe. By our rules you won and deserve access to one of our treasures" she turned around, almost gliding on the snow despite the heavy built as she started walking away.

"Figrikhariz" Kathleyîënis said "Progenitor of the silverlings. And... Yes, we think we do. A few days ago a lightning struck the ground revealing the entrance of a temple-cave- Figrikhariz exited it shortly after" she frowned "If only I had been a better tracker"

"What happened happened, Kathleyîënis" the chieftain called "You're not responsible for my people's failure. Figrikhariz doesn't let herself be neared, travelers- we've tried. Cornering her in her nest seems like the best option, but we've been met with traps and elemental creatures. Oh and... I'm Aragona"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-10-22 at 12:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

"That's a very specific law," Boots said.
    "We have to try," Alifa said. "We're running out of time in which Figrikhariz can be saved. And I don't want to have to kill it."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you" Aragona moved with purpose, but Kat cleared her throat.

"You can't go. Figrikhariz just flew above your head, and you've been away from the Silverstone too long- traversing the temple and then going into close contact with her will kill you, Ara"

"I won't let outsiders fight for me" the barbarian woman growled out resolute, turning around- she towered above Kat, the difference in height being basically the one between a normal person and an halfling "Whatever outcome there is, the Silverlings' chief has to see it through"

Then she turned around again, walking towards what was supposedly the dragon's nest.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

"We have a knack for keeping people alive," Boots said. "We've been flung into a lot of danger and no one around us has died except Tilly... sorry, girl. Don't worry about your friend." And she followed behind the barbarian. Alifa held up the back with Kat.
    "So. Does yours fling herself face-first at the biggest monster she can see when she's barely alive, too?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Kat groaned.
    "That is a good assessment. But yours can heal herself" the elf sighed "The silver lining is that Ara is the biggest monster there is after Fig"

"HA!" Aragona laughed "Good pun!"

Kathleyîënis looked confused, unsure of what was the pun.
    "Keep an eye out for the storm. Been there ever since Fig appeared- seen three lightning bolts strike, all hit the dragon every time. Though without much effectivness"

Aragona led them forward- they were met with scattered gangs of crazed barbarians, which they could easily dispatch. Eventually they fount the entrance of the 'nest'- it looked like a normal, large cave, but even from outside the sisters could see the beginning of smooth, manufactured walls.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-10-22 at 12:49 PM.