New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Sisters' Chronicles

Alifa grabbed Ethrindae's hand and went for the window. "She never asks for help," she explained as she jumped out of there with Ethrindae. She pulled a feather from her component pouch and it grew into an impromptu parachute, dropping them safely, if not super slowly, onto the ground. As the feather shrank back down, she climbed onto Tilly.

Boots looked right at the yellow eyes, took a breath, and jumped to the next roof on the way over.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20)[14] Boots
    (1d20+1)[5] Alifa
    Tilly: (1d20)[8]
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

As Tilly rushed, the figure stumbled back, hood falling down.

Boots knew the face- she had met this man before. It was the man similar to Gary who had been working the smithy- but now half of his face had become smooth black, with tiny serpent scales.
    "N...no...stay...away...it...wants..."

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Garret, the Darkling Brute (1d20-3)[-2]
    Ethrindae (1d20+3)[14]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Boots jumped over, landing with a slight grunt. "Hey, calm down," she said. "I'm here to help you." And, carefully, she reached out her hand slowly, not trying to startle him. She had to lunge as he moved away, though. Then she kissed his boo-boo, like Lala taught her.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lay on Hands for 5 to end a disease.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Boots touched the man, who's breathing steadied for a second... Then she felt screaming within her head.

YOU WILL GIVE WHAT IS OURS
    HE BELONGS TO US
    WE MAKE HIM STRONG
    WE ALREADY LOST ONE
    JOIN US

The darkling clutched his head, yelling in pain as the cloak ripped and came undone- Boots could now see him properly. A good part of his body was human, but black veins runned all over him and his left arm, shoulder, half of the neck and half of the face had gone pitch black and his left arm was disproportionally muscled compared to the normal one, black claws at the end. At the height of the elbow it split, a second forearm and clawed hand coming out- when the words quited down he grabbed Boots by the arm and neck, claws sinking in with a strenght he shouldn't have possessed.
    "Leave...please..."

She could feel a cold feeling emanating under her skin. At the same time as this cold feeling sunk into her, she felt a connection- Boots noticed a black crystal jammed into the darkling's shoulder, and she istantly knew that was where the voices were coming from.

Show
    Boots takes first 8, then 9 slashing damage and is Corrupted. If it isn't healed in the next 10 minutes, mutations may occur.

Her turn.

While Trilly brought them closer, though they weren't quite on scene yet, Ethrindae explained to Alifa something about the patch of skin she was carrying.

Show
    Magic Item: Darkling's Skin Patch.

This piece of skin carrying residual magic can be used to empower or change the nature of spells- it can also be used to spread corruption, although to do so is to commit an horrifying act.

Cannot be used by druids.

It can be used 10 times. When used as part of the casting of a spell, consider that spell casted as one level higher. If the spell deals damage the type is changed to Necrotic or Psychic, and forces a DC 10 Con save to not catch corruption.

If a piece is injested, it forces a DC 12 Con save to not catch corruption.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 11:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Boots shook under the attacks, then lifted Green Fang in both hands and brought it down on the black crystal, trying to shatter it and its influence on this man.
    "I'm not leaving you. I'm freeing you." And as her sword cut into the crystal, healthy rose-pink light exploded out, shattering the crystal right where it was.

Alifa nodded. "So you're saying I should burn it next time I get the chance." She reached out to the nightgown-clad druid and cast Mage Armor on her. "Here. That should help you a little."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-09-30 at 11:48 AM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

As Boots shattered the crystal, black blood and brain mass splurted everywhere- the paladin could see that this crystal wasn't jammed in there, no. It looked like it had grown out of the man.

Said man stared at her with a look of absolute terror.
    "...no...no...I'm not...safe...I'mnotsafeI'mnotsafe" he stumbled back as he felt the shoulder, falling over the edge of the ceiling.

The voices gave out a final scream, then died out.

Show
    Alright so.

He's falling- I'm gonna say if you want to catch him that you can use your reaction and make an Athletics check.

That said, falling damage is the ordinary 2d6 so maybe he'd survive- regardless, the darkling is stunned for one round. It's Boots again, afterwards Tilly, Alifa and "Death-to-all-darklings" Ethrindae will join the combat.

He doesn't look healed right now- still looking mad with his arms flailing about. But there is also no crystal and no voices anymore, so maybe he can be healed.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 12:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Boots lunged forward and grabbed him by the arm. She hauled him up with a powerful grunt and pulled him into a hug. "Hold on... you're going to be okay." And she kissed the boo-boo again, the blush in her cheeks brightening as she passed on the love of Sune to this new world.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

The man twitched for a moment more, then fell still.

Asleep. Or at least, his human part was- the corrupted eye stared ahead emptily. It seemed to be unresponsive as well though.

As her blush brightened, Boots felt something warm within her- the cold that had been spreading from the cuts in her neck and arm receded from this warmth that spread through her body and as the air seemed to dance around the houri and the stars twinkled on her eyes she knew this universe had recognized what she had done tonight.

Show
    Level 3, though you can't use your new spell slots/sorcery points/new prepared spells. You can use passives and any known sorcerer spell.

Boots is not corrupted anymore.

Tilly arrived on the scene, at the foot of the building Boots was in, and bugled.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Boots carried him the the edge. "I don't think I can carry him and climb down!" She called.
    "Jump!" Alifa called. Boots did, and Alifa guided her fall so that she landed safely on the ground.
    "Who's that?"
    "I think he's Gary's brother. Remember him? He's sick in some way, but I managed to stop it."
    "He was corrupted, he almost turned into a darkling. Let's get him onto Tilly." Alifa dismounted.

Boots beamed at Ethrindae, even though she was clearly injured.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Ethrindae looked... Conflicted, as she got down from the elk- but the most prevalent feeling seemed to be anger.
    "Why doesn't he look wounded but you do?" she asked Boots "Did you not defend yourself? You fought against what was basically a d-" fear crept up on her face, as she reached for Boots' neck speaking divine words.

Show
    Ethrindae is about to cast a spell which is probably Lesser Restoration. I'mma assume Boots will stop her.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm immune," Boots interrupted, somehow certain of it as she spoke. "I don't know all the details of what he has, but I think I stopped it from progressing any further. And this corruption can't extinguish the burning light I have within. I am hurt because he attacked me, and I did defend myself, but only against the gem attached to him that made him do it. Then I healed whatever he had."

"You're immune now?"
    "I had... a breakthrough. And now I have a few oaths to make."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Ethrindae looked surprised by the revelation, then her eyes settled into respect as she smiled.
    "That... Was courageous of you, Clephesia. I apologize" she looked down "When my circle was attacked, it spread like a wildfire. I... Am friendly with Xvchimeras, but others make me... More jumpy. If you stop the corruption... You don't necessarily make them unable to transmit it. My circle... I didn't know this when it mattered the most" Ethrindae looked back up at Boots.
    "But what you did tonight makes you a hero to this man, and to all the possible would-have-been victims- even if I wish you had waited for me and your sister. Now..." she looked up.

"A crystal made him do it? What?"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 12:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"I was worried that if I let him get away we would never find him," Boots explained. "But yeah, there was a gem on his shoulder that talked to him and made him do things. It’s gone now. How do we keep him from spreading the disease?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"We explain to him and hope he doesn't" Ethrindae answered "I probably made it sound worst then it is. He needs to actively hurt someone with his corrupted parts to infect somebody else- as long as his mind recovers, and he pays a minimum of attention to what he does, there won't be any problem. Ignorance and misinformation are his only enemies now" she looked up again.

"I have never heard of something like that crystal. We should gather the shards instead of leaving them there- and bring this man to rest. By the looks of it he'll be sleeping for a long while"

Show
    We can skip ahead if you wish- just tell me where you want to drop the man (you saw where he lives, but nothing says you have to bring him there) and wether or not Boots will go back up to grab the remnants of the crystal.

And where you plan on going after those two things are taken care of.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 01:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, okay. You two bring him to a bed, I’ll go get the pieces."
    Boots started climbing again.

"Where we come from, elves don’t need sleep, only retrospective meditation. Is the same true for you? If so, could you watch him tonight?"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes and yes" Ethrindae nodded "Perhaps we should bring him to the barracks, though? Let the guardsmen and their healers watch over their own" she didn't seem too eager to watch over him.
    "You've proven time and time again your competence though, so I'll do it if you think it better"

The stuff was still there on the roof. Crystal parts, brain mass, black blood- it wasn't hard to gather, although a bit gross.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

"I don’t know much about the guards here," Alifa said. "And waking up under lock and key might get him violent. I’d rather someone who can explain the situation and cure herself if shs’s injured," Alifa explained. "Sorry," she added after.

Boots spent a good long while gathering things up.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Boots, once everything was gathered, placed her hand on Green Fang.
    "This corruption... I swear to stop its spread. I swear that it will not blot out the light...I vow to kindle, protect, and when unavailable, be the light this world needs." She lifted Green Fang. "So vows I, Scion Unseelie!"
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Ethrindae sighed and nodded.
    "I will" with that she waved at them, her and Tilly bringing the man to the inn "Drop the crystal parts in my room later, I'll use the hours I save with the trancing to... examine it" it was fairly obvious that she would have wanted to destroy it, but what Boots said about the crystal seemed to have turned on her analytical side.

Show
    She's a very 'Know your enemy' type of woman.

Anyway! If you plan on going to sleep, you can- long rest. If you think there is more to investigate, well, tell me where you're going.

She was gone by the time Boots was doing her vows. Homewever, Boots was sure something else heard her vow- the wind blowing through her hair, the stars in the sky, the moon, the ground- everything around her seemed to acknowledge in subtle ways her words.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 04:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

After a bath, Boots and Alifa cuddled in their bed to go to sleep. "You did that all by yourself?"
    "It might not have been a good decision... but it was kinda my only one, you know? He might have killed someone, of worse." And hugging her sister close, Boots passed into well-deserved sleep.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The next morning, they were woken up by a knock on the door- it was probably sooner then they would have liked, given how much they ran around, but the sisters were still well-rested.
    "He has woken up" Ethrindae's voice came from outside "I've been calming him down and explaining what happened. If you could come to my room, I've discovered what I could about the... Crystal, let's keep calling it that. I'll tell you there, then I'll leave to join the troupe- we still need to earn our living" with that, they heard steps leaving as the elf went back to her room.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 06:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

"Boots, why don’t you go with?"
    "Hm? Really?"
    "You’ve done a whole lot, but I know how much you wanted to be in the circus. Take the day fir yourself, or at least the morning show. I’ll join you if I can."
    Boots gave Alifa a big squishy hug and followed Ethrindae.

Alifa went in the door to the elf’s room. "Hello. I’m Alifa. What’s your name?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Ethrindae was dressed in the robe Boots first met her with again, a sack of belongings with her.
    "So" she started "That crystal... Was still him. I talked to him to make sense of why that crystal had a brain and veins, and from he told me it seems it... Grew spontaneously" she took a deep breath.
    "He liked the same girl his brother was going to marry. He was jealous, and the corruption... Made him start having murderous thoughts, but he resisted them- he couldn't bring himself to hurt his family. Or so Garret says- I have my doubts, but still... According to him, the crystal was birthed right after and it was then that Garret started hearing voices that tried to push him to the very same acts he had thoughts about. I think that crystal was a defense against the corruption by splitting off the infected part of his mind. Given that he attacked you, it was probably not working anymore- if you had lost him it might've been too late"

Garret was sitting on the bed, and was peeling off his snake part- under, there was his normal human skin with a bit of a darker hue. Where the skin came off it left some disgusting slime that luckily didn't smell- probably thanks to Ethrindae's incense sticks. In addition, while there had been black veins all over the body those seemed to have disappeared.
    "Garret... Garret Stibs. I... Am Gary's brother" he spoke with difficulty, almost as if he wasn't wholly there.
    "Incredible... I think I can... Control it now"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Boots nodded somberly. "Thank you for all your help. I... Does he know about the danger?" she followed to find the other circus members.

Alifa nodded and sat on the edge of the bed. "Alright Garrett. To start off... I don’t think you killed your brother." She looked him in the eye. "But I need you to tell me everything. How did you get infected? What do you remember? Why was your brother frequenting the Don’t Go Inn?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"I think so. He seemed pretty receptive when I spoke to him- and I doubt he's in the condition to trick us"

The place wasn't very far- it was a fairly large square, and at an extremity there was a great statue depicting a solemn man in his fifty clad in heavy armor, with a shield with the symbol of an armored dragon. A bronze targe recited:

To Emperor Trevor, First of the Four, First of the Dragon Riders

The last sentence was ruined, as if people hadn't been caring as well for that.

A stage had been set up and people had already been filing in, mostly families with their kids beaming excitedly- again Boots noted a majority of humans, a minority of dragonborns and if she looked carefully she could spot some other races. It seemed clear by now that humans and dragonborns were the majority in that part of the world.

Elwina and Ronald were conducting a kind of pre-show while the members got ready, the former talking to the audience and making faces at the kids with an extravagant multi-colored make up to make them laugh while the latter was improvising a few tricks with cards. It seemed like Ronald was legitimately good... It's just that they weren't magic. Boots could hear his 'No trick, no lie' catchphrase from afar.

Ethrindae headed inside the tent, were Oegh had a clown outfit and Xvchimeras was dressed in a sleeveless robe that showed off his muscles, practicing with what looked like fake planks and stuff like that which he could pretend to break.
    "Clephesia, any idea on what you'll do?"

"We... We left to go fishing, about a week ago. There's... A lake nearby... We had been there... Other times. But... We had never spotted... This cave that is south of the lake before. We went in... Found this altar with a expensive-looking statuette on it. Gary didn't want it, but I... Took it" Garret explained with difficulty "The altar... Collapsed in front of our eyes. Looked... Wilting, like a dead plant. We wanted to check our... Prize... So we brought it to the Inn. But... Once there... It broke. Turned into black smoke... We inhaled it... The shakes started. We got violent. Had to... Throw stuff around. My skin... fell off. The smoke flew out... Through the window... Closed window" he looked down.

"We did not know what was happening. We started having these nightmares... Gary would go drink the night 'cause he couldn't stand them. But... We thought people would take us for mad... So didn't say anything. Now... Somehow, that idea feels stupid, as if it couldn't have come from us. Then... While we were heading back home together... He started talking about Britta... And I got mad. My skin... It broke up. I had scales... Nails... A third hand. I was scared, so I ran- ran from my brother, even if the voices in my head started chattering. He was... Still alive" he frowned and looked down at his forearms- despite the fact that they looked human he still had an additional forearm and hand on his left arm which couldn't possibly be passed as normal.

"Every time... My dark came out... I would know what to do. How to act. Where to strike. How to make myself look human" reaching for his arm, he pushed the two forearms together and under Alifa's eyes a mouth appeared on his normal one, which ate the other one with a sickening crunching sound- and it was gone, a perfectly healthy arm now present. Except for the dark hue.
    "When you brought Britta... I panicked. Eventually tracked down your place of rest... Voices kept saying to kill you... Didn't want that. I ran. The knight... Found me"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 07:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

"I think for an opener I’ll heal two of the diseased out there. Then I’ll play the violin. If Xvchimeras is down we could wrestle or stage a fight," she suggested.

Alifa only had one question. "Where was the altar?"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

"Mmm... I have a good idea. We'll have you heal people as an opener, then you can accompany mine and Elwina's dances- you'll take a break while Ronald's and Oegh's performances go, cohordinate with Xvchimeras and we'll close with your fight. Sounds good?" Ethrindae asked.

"Lake... South gates... Can't miss it... It's beautiful. Move around... Until opposite end... Enter forest... Keep heading straight. Clearing... Cave. Wasn't there... Before..." Garrett replied.

It came to Alifa's mind that the direction Garret was describing headed towards the black blotch called the Zone on Ethrindae's map, though it was still a good deal off.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2021-09-30 at 07:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

[B]"Beautiful and smart. Well, I’m ready."[B]

Alifa nodded. "Do you have a place to stay that’s safe?"
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2022-02-17 at 12:32 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Ethrindae smiled a larger smile then usual, but then it was gone as she pointed at a wardrobe with various costumes and the make-up station, meanwhile Elwina entered the tent.
    "Flatterer. We have a show and we're professionists- time to work. Change if you think there's something you like and ask Elwina for a make-up if you want it, then get to work" she said, with a serious tone.

Show
    Alright, show's yours. Describe whatever you want for the first act, roll whatever you like as long as it makes sense. I will not set a particular DC- the higher you roll, the better it is. But I'll also consider the coolness of the show.

Then I'll introduce the dancers, after which you can go with your song, then we can move on to the fight- tell me if you want an actual turn-by-turn fight, if you wanna RP a fake fight or gloss over it. Either way it'll be with prop weapons that won't actually deal damage.

"My smithy... Plenty of people. Won't be alone" Garret nodded.
    "Where... Are you going?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Boots put on her fine clothes, not bothering to find a place to change. Then she put on some make-up like her mother used, and for a final touch she took a thin crown from the costume shelves and went out.
    The number began with a bolt of frigid air that froze a patch of ground next to the stage. Then another on the other side.
    "My esteemed audience," Boots said, stepping out. "I am here not just to put on a show... we artists love to captivate you, to enthrall you, to excite you... but ultimately there is nothing more important than improving your lives. Some of us can do so through song... some through acrobatics. And you shall have that! But first... one lucky member of our audience is needed to come up here!" She pointed at someone whose skin was nearly covered in tiny red pox welts. "You, Ma'am!"
    She had difficulty reaching the stage.
    "Ma'am, you're brave coming out so sick!"
    "I wasn't about to miss the circus! It won't be in for another several months!"
    "Quite right, quite right... but you might have trouble enjoying it with such painful spots all over your skin. Let's see if we can't make you a bit more comfortable." And laying her hand on the woman's cheek, Boots's blush deepened and the colors around her sparkled with pink. The winds picked up around the woman and the spots all over her started regaining their natural color... receding into her skin. Soon, her skin was spotless.
    Boots bowed. "My name is Clephesia. And I... am at your service."

"Fake!" Came a voice from the crowd. "You planted her! You faked that!"
    "Sir," Clephesia called. "Would you stand up, please?"
    Once he was up, she lifted an eyebrow. "If the crowd wants me to prove that I did no trick and tell no lie, I am willing to do so. Sir, why don't you choose my next patient. I can cure most diseases."
    A glint in his eye, he pointed to the very back of the crowd, where there was an actual leper watching from a distance.
    "Of course, sir." Boots leapt off the stage, and Tilly caught her and trotted her up to the leper.
    "Be healed," she said, and suddenly the skin, which seemed to be rotting off of living flesh, took on a healthy sheen. Fingers locked in a fist opened wide, and the man gasped. Boots, her head held high, rode back to the stage and stepped onto it. "Thank you all... now, on with the show."

Spoiler: Skill
    Show
    This is a performance, is it not? (1d20+5)[6]; (1d4)[3] guidance. EDIT: If I have any inspiration to use that at least brings the total up to an 11.

"The circus," Alifa said. "Then me and my sister are going fishing." She left him there.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-09-30 at 11:00 PM.
    Show