New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default How do Metamagic Feats stack?

Title says it all, really. In terms of Spell-level, how do they stack?
    Hi. I'm Me.

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    - Truth be told, the players didn't reach the inn until about 10 minutes into the game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How do Metamagic Feats stack?

They stack linearly. Just add each spell level adjustment together to determine the final spell slot needed.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Let's say 1 metamagic feat makes it so your spell is cast 2 levels higher, and a second 3 levels higher. To use them both, the spell would be 5 levels higher and get both effects. It also takes 2 extra rounds to cast if you're a spontaneous caster (bard/PhB1 Sorc)
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    It also takes 2 extra rounds to cast if you're a spontaneous caster (bard/PhB1 Sorc)
    No, it only takes one extra round (or makes it a full-round action, if the casting time is normally less then 1 round). The increased time is for casting a metamagic spell, regardless of how many metamagic feats are in it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Let's say 1 metamagic feat makes it so your spell is cast 2 levels higher, and a second 3 levels higher. To use them both, the spell would be 5 levels higher and get both effects. It also takes 2 extra rounds to cast if you're a spontaneous caster (bard/PhB1 Sorc)
    I'm fairly certain that it'd just get the one increase, to a one round casting time, in most cases. It's either metamagic or it isn't.

::Edit:: Sorry, full round, not one round. Slight difference.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2007-11-16 at 05:24 PM.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes my mistake only 1 round to cast (or +1).
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Hm, okay. The reason I'm posting this, is because of the Maximized Hightened Silenced Quickened Extended Whatnot Spellz of Doom. I can't really see how they usually only end up being in the range of 4th to 8th level spells, and not epic levels.
    An example is the Shivering Touch, or the.. Ion-Cannon city destroyer spell with Blasting and stuff.
    Hi. I'm Me.

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    - Truth be told, the players didn't reach the inn until about 10 minutes into the game.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Feats like Arcane Thesis and PrCs like Incantrix make metamagic less costly. Also, metamagic rods allow for added stacking goodness without increasing spell-level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yes my mistake only 1 round to cast (or +1).
    Just to be totally clear, if the spell's normal casting time is less 1 round, it increases to a full-round action to cast, not to a 1 round casting time.

This matters because with a full-round action, the spell's effect starts at the end of your turn, and you don't have to make any concentration checks for it if something happens to you between now and the start of your next turn.

Also, this applies to any spell cast spontaneously; a cleric converting a prepared spell into a metamagic cure spell follows the same rules.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Divine Metamagic lets you sac Turn Undead uses in place of the Metamagic Level Adjustment. You do need to burn 1 more Turn Undead than the number of levels though.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.