New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Serini's Glasses

Does anybody have any idea what Serini's glasses do? It is interesting that her Troll-eye is red and the glass on that side is also red. I wonder if anything is going on there.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Serini's Glasses

they kind of look like those old-timey"3D-goggles" except those were red and green

also I'm going to say goggles of true-sight, way too handy of a thing to have when going up against anyone

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    they kind of look like those old-timey"3D-goggles" except those were red and green

also I'm going to say goggles of true-sight, way too handy of a thing to have when going up against anyone
    They appear to allow her to see in the dark, and I suspect that true sight would be a good power on them, too.
    At first I thought each lens had a different power, but now I realize is it because her eyes are different colors!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    They appear to allow her to see in the dark, and I suspect that true sight would be a good power on them, too.
    At first I thought each lens had a different power, but now I realize is it because her eyes are different colors!
    I am not convinced it is because her eyes have different colours. If that were the case I think we would see her eyes through the glasses.

Actually we do see a bit of her Human eye in 1229. But the other pane is just blank red.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2021-09-30 at 06:32 AM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

5. - Top - End - #5

For some reason, I was convinced that Serini already has darkvision from the troll eye. That seemed natural, but I realized now that it is pure speculation.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Red one's an oversized red-dot sight. Obviously.

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

Nostalgia glasses, obviously.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    The old 3D glasses were usually red and blue (cyan, technically).

Serini is clearly a big fan of that one member of Biff's gang in Back to the Future:

Dude carried that film.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Old-timey"?!? Those 3D glasses were the shiz when I was a kid! You basically couldn't go into a store that didn't sell flimsy cardboard 3D glasses... then you'd take them home to see the cool messages that were in ~3D~ on your cereal box.

Don't remind me how old I am.

Those glasses were the first thing I thought of, naturally, but yeah, I figured it was so she could see in the dark/protect her from Sunny's spells in case of friendly fire, and have the added bonus of looking cool. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    Don't remind me how old I am.
    What are you talking about? We're the same age!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What are you talking about? We're the same age!
    We're getting up there, Fyraltari... Getting up there enough to remember 3D glasses.

Last edited by Mariele; 2021-10-02 at 10:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

"Old-timey"?!? Those 3D glasses were the shiz when I was a kid! You basically couldn't go into a store that didn't sell flimsy cardboard 3D glasses... then you'd take them home to see the cool messages that were in ~3D~ on your cereal box
    For all you young 'uns, here's a brief, helpful, and totally accurate primer on what 3-D glasses were like.

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

We're getting up there, Fyraltari... Getting up there enough to remember 3D glasses.

Wait a minute....

I actually used to do original drawings in blue & red so they would be in 3D. This was a childhood hobby for a while. Do I get bonus "getting up there" points?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

My first theory was that it was to "correct" both sides so she's seeing the world in a similar way with both eyes. For those of you who remember red/blue 3-d glasses, it was a slightly weird thing to wear. It made the world look both red and blue at the same time, and could be headache-inducing if you wore them all day. When Serini got troll-blood, it changed one of her eyes to troll-like, most probably with low light vision, but who knows in what other ways trolls see the world differently to the rest of us? So I assumed that she'd made a set of glasses that adjusted her eyesight so that the colour balance for her eyes basically matched to stop her feeling that red-blue effect.

15. - Top - End - #15

My only recollection of a 3D film was at the IMAX near London Waterloo. I recall the glasses being entirely grey not blue/red. It was incredibly realistic (albeit a cartoon - The Simpsons I think.) Probably about 10 years ago. I think it was using polarized light.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2021-10-04 at 09:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    I actually used to do original drawings in blue & red so they would be in 3D. This was a childhood hobby for a while.
    I am curious how well that worked.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    My only recollection of a 3D film was at the IMAX near London Waterloo. I recall the glasses being entirely grey not blue/red. It was incredibly realistic (albeit a cartoon - The Simpsons I think.) Probably about 10 years ago. I think it was using polarized light.
    Just about all the 3D stuff I have seen was done using crossed polaroids like that - although I did see one old system on the Isle of Wight (at a 3d Exhibition in Bembridge) where they used glasses with shutters that alternately opened and closed in synch with the screen.

The only time I've actualty seen red/blue 3D that I can remember was an old video game on the BBC Computer.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

A barely-disturbing don hertzfeldt? How is that possible?

20. - Top - End - #20

Wait a minute....

I actually used to do original drawings in blue & red so they would be in 3D. This was a childhood hobby for a while. Do I get bonus "getting up there" points?
    OMG, you are so cool! I wish I had thought to do that!!!

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's disturbing about the topmost one? It has happy flowers and a happy sun the happy flowers are happy about.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    What's disturbing about the topmost one? It has happy flowers and a happy sun the happy flowers are happy about.
    I know, right?

It’s like some people have never worn 3D glasses before.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Barely disturbing" is a relative term

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Wait a minute....

You are the only person I know of who wore 3d hipster glasses.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I have an infant who was trying to eat with an adult-sized spoon so of course I said "My spoon is too big!". None of my other kids understood the reference so I looked up that video on youtube and showed it to them, and of course they liked it. They wanted to watch the whole thing (which I have never seen) and assuming it was just more silly skits, let them. I came back a few minutes later and the skit with the little cotton candy guy bleeding all over the place was on and i immediately realized my mistake and that their mom was going to kill me.

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I have an infant who was trying to eat with an adult-sized spoon so of course I said "My spoon is too big!". None of my other kids understood the reference so I looked up that video on youtube and showed it to them, and of course they liked it. They wanted to watch the whole thing (which I have never seen) and assuming it was just more silly skits, let them. I came back a few minutes later and the skit with the little cotton candy guy bleeding all over the place was on and i immediately realized my mistake and that their mom was going to kill me.
    Yaaaaayyyy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

This is certainly a reference to Erfworld.
    This glasses allow Serini to see the stats of her opponents, to make accurate combat decisions.
    ;-)
    ... and sorry for my bad English in the post above.