New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Cosmic Hunters (OOC)

IC ThreadCombat Maps

Player Character Build
    remetagross Ux Utanar tibur Human Randal Amblecrown [Ereshki] LG Dragonborn Knight 20
    Metastachydium Delja 'Quince' Utorak N Nixie Swashbuckler 3/Battledancer 1/Swordsage 2/Fist of the Forest 2/Duelist 9
    Geeksthenewsexy Myriad CG Changeling Rogue 3/Silver Key 10/Invisible Blade 5/Warlock 2
    Biscuit Azlin Chitramaya CN Rock Gnome Sorcerer 6/Shadowcrafter 9/Shadowcraft Mage 5

Time. By Faerūnian calendar: Midsummer 1372; ten past noon. By Factol Hashkar's reign: Day 215, Year 127; 10 AP.

Maps. Campaign maps. See the combat maps for in-game stuff.

Resources. Links to useful sites.

Spoiler: Original Interest Check
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    I'd like to run a short, 20th-level D&D 3.5e game to get a hang of the play-by-post format, also because I'm a little rusty at D&D and DMing in general. Level 20 because why not. A chance for us to dust off our 20-level builds and see them in action rather than just on paper for once. Short because I don't want to commit to an epic adventure.

The premise is er, you travel around killing big monsters don't think about it too much.

If there's interest I'll get to writing up game details. Details do be written.

────────

DEADLINE: APRIL 5

Premise. Many adventurers hit level 20 and retire. They had seen enough; it was time for them to put down the sword and take up some hobby like gardening or knitting or ruling a nation. Not your party though, you guys are hardcore. You hit level 20 and decided you wanted to spend the rest of your probably short lives doing even more dangerous things (thank the gods for true resurrection, really). And you have a good lead: it is said that there is a mage dwelling in the planar city of Sigil who can foresee calamities, the kind that shatter continents or even worlds, and there is no more worthy a challenge for those such as yourselves than to face down threats at this scale. So you pack your things (just kidding; mundane activities like packing are beneath you) and go to meet this mage in the city at the center of the multiverse. With any luck the mage will divine some epic threats for you to defeat. If not, you may have to beat the divinations out of him.

The Game. D&D 3.5e.

• Setting. Planescape and everything in its orbit: Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Eberron, etc.
    • Sources. Official 3e or 3.5e plus Dragon Compendium. Ask for Dragon Magazine stuff. Supply a source for whatever you ask (post or PM).
    • Players. 3–4.
    • Posting. 2/week.

Characters. No race, class, alignment restrictions.

• Abilities. 40 point buy.
    • Experience. Level 20; 190,000 XP.
    • Health. Max all HD.
    • Wealth. 760,000 gp.
    • Level Adjustment. Buy off allowed.
    • Background. Keep it short; this will be a quick game.

Other Stuff. Common Q's:

• Crafting and Magic Items. Not enough time in-game. No custom magic items besides weapons and armor. Improving/combining (cf. Magic Item Compendium p. 233) allowed.
    • Leadership. Let's not add to this game's insanity.
    • Item Familiar. No, don't wanna mess around with XP investiture.
    • Flaws and Traits. Up to 2 flaws, no traits.
    • Bloodlines. No.
    • Fractional BAB and Saves. Yes.
    • Epic Levels. 🙃
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2023-05-13 at 01:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (OOC)

Claiming indigo for Woren.

I assume we have some room for crunch adjustments based on party composition before we begin? In my case it's mostly spell synergy and such. If someone has specific buff requests, I'm open to suggestions. Even personal range buffs can be shared.

Oh and I've got a pair of Spellguard Rings, whoever wears the bronze ring can be immune to a spell cast by Woren 3/day. Probably useful in a case when Selective Spell won't cut it.

Edit: I figure we're beginning with daily buff routines in effect already? If so, no ability damage for Woren.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2022-04-08 at 09:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Ux Utanar will be in bolded gray.

@watupwithdat oooh you've got Spellguard Rings! One of my favourite items, and I happen to have a ring slot free! Can I have one? I'm bound to be in the thick of things if I'm doing my Knight job properly.

Also, here's the link to my sheet again, just for reference:
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2618030

@GM, it's usually a useful resource to have all the sheets available somewhere, in the first post or something. And thanks for having chosen my character, too

One last thing: I've played a few PbP games already both as player and GM, and I can't recommend enough this guide to handling, as a GM, such a game.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2022-04-08 at 04:14 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Fort save against the smog: (1d20+28)[29]
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, a natural 1! Fortunately enough, 17th-level Knights get to not suffer auto-failure on a natural 1

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey, everyone! Happy to be here, in such great company!

Delja
    will speak in this lovely dark slate gray and hopefully, she won't die an ugly death lose that point of CON to smog: Fortitude: (1d20+21)[32]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll have something for the IC thread later today.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    @watupwithdat oooh you've got Spellguard Rings! One of my favourite items, and I happen to have a ring slot free! Can I have one? I'm bound to be in the thick of things if I'm doing my Knight job properly.
    You got it.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2022-04-08 at 09:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Neat! I'm writing that on my sheet.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

1. Yeah this is a trivial roll-to-save, don't worry about handwaving it by saying you prepared buffs beforehand.
    2. Go ahead and modify your sheet until I post again (won't be until all PCs post or too long passes).
    3. Thanks for the link @remetagross, I think a lot of these observations apply to IRL tabletop except that people can't just ghost IRL games mid-session usually due to social mores. Gotta wait for between sessions to do it. :P It's good advice to keep all scenes active and mobile. It also confirms the suggestions to definitely use block initiatives. I'm going to do it by averaging and rounding. If you have an initiative-changer (not just an immediate action or whatever) then I might have to apply it to everyone.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Myriad will speak in "Bold Teal".

Oh, and I should note: Myriad wouldn't actually need the ruby key. Thanks to the 'Master of Doors' capstone ability of the SIlver Key class, she can make use of any magic door or portal she comes across as though she had the specific ability to do so. In particular, she can bypass arcane lock spells as though she herself had cast them, ignore glyphs of warding as though she knew the password (even glyphs that have no password), and even bypass the magic of a hold portal as though she could cast knock at will.

Her power even extends to portals created or maintained by magic. She can follow another character through a phase door, and can enter a Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, a dragonmark demesne, and similar structures regardless of whether the caster designated her as one of the creatures able to enter.

A hyper-specific ability with only occasional usefulness in most games, but in 'The City of Doors'....? (^_^)

Fort Save: (1d20+22)[23]
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-04-09 at 01:24 AM.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

@Everyone How long should I wait for Dashain to show up? Should I ask another player from the interest check to join if they don't? Or should I just run as is with the current party?

@Geeksthenewsexy Good point, pocket 500 pp instead of holding onto the key.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

@Everyone How long should I wait for Dashain to show up? Should I ask another player from the interest check to join if they don't? Or should I just run as is with the current party?
    If you want to add someone else and/or wait is up to you, but I don't see any issue with treating it as another character is last through the portal (perhaps got hold up in the inn it's located?), and continuing the IC posting for now.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by watupwithdat View Post
    I don't see any issue with treating it as another character is last through the portal (perhaps got hold up in the inn it's located?), and continuing the IC posting for now.
    Seconded.

Besides, if Dashain doesn't show up in a couple days, I guess you'll easily be able to bring in some of the guys from the recruitment thread; some of them seemed rather motivated.

14. - Top - End - #14

Sorry, folks! I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm happy to proceed as we apparently did.

(Also, in case anyone wondered, Delja's sword looks roughly like a swagger stick right now.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-04-11 at 01:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

Sorry about that, been pretty sick this past few days and forgot to even check if I was accepted to this (thanks, btw!).

Anyway, Tuld-Culain will speak in "Blue".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

No worries, you're not that late since our posting rate is pretty lax. If you're still sick let us know and we can autopilot Tuld-Culain.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

I know I promised a fast-paced game about action but it was all a ruse. Welcome to Paperwork Simulator 2022.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

why did I suggest the polite way?

19. - Top - End - #19

I know I promised a fast-paced game about action but it was all a ruse. Welcome to Paperwork Simulator 2022.
    [Dramatic Big No.]

why did I suggest the polite way?
    You've been warned!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright mates I'm fine with bullheading through the paperwork if needed, I'm eager to get a charge attack on someone.

By the way, good catch for the potential of pickpocketing from the bariaur, I was far from thinking about that
    Last edited by remetagross; 2022-04-13 at 04:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Alright mates I'm fine with bullheading through the paperwork if needed, I'm eager to get a charge attack on someone.
    That plan sounds lovely, but I'm afraid office clerk provide a pitiable amount of XP at our level, if any.

By the way, good catch for the potential of pickpocketing from the bariaur, I was far from thinking about that
    Well, as a flower, I'm painfully aware that ruminants are not to be trusted. Also, "innocent-looking youngster bumps into you and something valuable vanishes" is a classic and a paranoid, burnt-out former professional infiltrator like Delja would know that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Woren's more fascinated with Sigil itself than what's going on with people at the moment, so just assume he's absentmindedly analyzing all the magic in the place for now, going along with whatever the rest are doing. If something that demands his attention happens, that would change. I'll squeeze in an IC post later.

I kinda assume nothing magical stands out more than anything else, but if there's something assume Woren's got Arcane Sight active (probably something else too, but I need to peruse spells to figure out what, and it's likely not too relevant right now.)
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2022-04-13 at 04:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Channeling the spirit of the DMV here.

24. - Top - End - #24

*reminding self that the character is N/G and wouldn't just murder inconvenient people, stuff their body inside a haversack, take on their appearance, declare an early retirement to the guards, and 'quit' after approving everyone's applications*
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Channeling the spirit of the DMV here.
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    *reminding self that the character is N/G and wouldn't just murder inconvenient people, stuff their body inside a haversack, take on their appearance, declare an early retirement to the guards, and 'quit' after approving everyone's applications*
    Same, basically let's try to hasten the process in a softer way, though...

26. - Top - End - #26

Hey, if you'd like to change your minds, Delja has a portable hole, a lot of rope, chains, sacks and manacles and no moral qualms about stuffing clerks into the former (and possibly forgetting about not long afterwards)!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not entirely sure I've exactly understood what the clerk just told us. In any case, let's head off to our original destination and worry about that sutff later (or never).

28. - Top - End - #28

I'll choose to read it as "no discounts, no express delivery" and "if we don't use the portal, it's not like it even matters".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Fine by me, let's go then!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Helloooo, is there anyone around here?