New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Reaching out to the nearest companion near her, Marions eyes still agape with a primal horror, the teenager rapidly patted at whichever campion was closest. "We have to leave. Now."
    1. Felix
    2. Jakk'ari
    3. Zachary
    4. Isaera
    5. Mor'Lag

(1d5)[5] to determine who happens to be closest. Why? Because I like randomness. I will not apologize.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I'll see your randomness and raise you some memes.

I think a question on everyone's mind was, "there are safe levels??"

There probably aren't.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

You can't talk about Doom sound effects without mentioning the song that will put hair on your chest: https://youtu.be/AWlUGqxCtXU
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Alright, I'll see your randomness and raise you some memes.

I think a question on everyone's mind was, "there are safe levels??"

There probably aren't.
    Haha! Well, look, when you’re in the hell-energy racket, there’s a saying: you want to make an omelette, you gotta unleash a couple of shrieking kakofiends from their anguished confinement in Tartarus.

That’s just omelette 101. :)

You can't talk about Doom sound effects without mentioning the song that will put hair on your chest: https://youtu.be/AWlUGqxCtXU
    Oh no! My chest hair! It’s out of controlllgngntnthalpnnhhaaaair

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fear check: (1D20+6)[10]

*Sigh* This is getting ridiculous.

Gives me a 17 for a stealth roll, but for 2 rolls where I just need to roll average once and nothing.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2021-12-01 at 08:45 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Fear check: [roll0]

*Sigh* This is getting ridiculous.

Gives me a 17 for a stealth roll, but for 2 rolls where I just need to roll average once and nothing.
    You could always use VP~

But it looks like you coped with another turn of being afraid. So I think it’ll be a fun, formative scar for Marion long term. Infernals as a nice green sun for her to strap on her Icarus wings and fly into.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No, spent enough VPs . I need those VPs for later.

Afraid of in the long term? Or seek to control...

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh herp de derp, I should ask people to roll initiatives too. Sorry, drunk on different games with different initiative systems.

Roll initiative!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Damnit, stop trying to kill off our bounty money!

will: (1d20+10)[30]

initiative: (1d20-2)[15]

Yay. Isaera's never going to be scared by an Infernal again! Probably has something to do with actually being dead though.

What's the initiative to beat?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-12-01 at 07:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Raar! I smash your financial prospects!

As for initiative to beat…I guess I haven’t rolled ‘em yet!

Infernal1 - (1d20+1)[15], now attacking Felix.
    Infernal2 - (1d20+1)[8], presently yeeting an ogre through a window.
    Infernal3 - (1d20+1)[17], bearing down on a desperate reveller.

Felix - (1d20+1)[15]
    Zachary - (1d20+1)[7]

Edit: in my games, tiebreaker goes to PC’s.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-12-01 at 08:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Well I made a nice attack, and I'm hopeful the thing get slowed down, even if it can never actually take damage.

Only one problem. My mage spells are too slow, and we won't be seeing that result just yet...

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Initiative: (1D20)[15]

13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rolling for initiative (1d20+1)[20]

I don't know exactly how far Jakk'ari is from Felix and the other infernals since I believe he was behind Jakk'ari when he summoned the rain protecting everyone from the radiant fire damage. Also I don't know exactly what distance counts counts as medium and long rangeso I'm going to state my assumptions in post.
    Anyway, Jakk'ari is going to try to get close to Felix to protect him.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-12-02 at 01:21 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Sorry, initiative!

[Roll]1d20[/roll
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

(1d20)[4]

Flubbed the Macro
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Jakk'ari - 20
    Infernal3 ("Tablesmasher")- 17
    Marion - 15
    Isaera - 15
    Felix - 15
    Infernal1 ("Headshot")- 15
    Hapless Ogre - 12
    Infernal2 ("Curbstomp")- 8
    Zachary - 7
    Mor'Lag - 4

Turn (2) Sequence

20 - Jakk'ari uses Extra Effort to hustle up to the palisades, and uses deflect at a value of 11 on Felix.

17 - Infernal 3 slams a power attack onto Hapless Ogre (hits with a toughness dc of 23 (!)), but the ogre nat 20's the toughness roll for a 24 (!).

15 - Marion launches a Shadow And Flame volley at Infernal1, but a 17 which would normally hit misses because of the circumstantial cover of the palisades for the infernal. The wicked shadow energy goes wide, but arcs back toward the construct for another homing chance next turn.

Isaera conjures up a frostbolt, which pulses in her grasp and launches after she finishes casting it at the beginning of her next turn (with a 19!)

Felix hits again, but the infernal shrugs off the blow. Felix manages to avoid burning to death for having the temerity to try.

Infernal1 also power attacks, a giant fist slamming down at Felix. It hits, but Felix incredibly rolls a 20 on hit +3 toughness roll to resist the dc 23 impact. What an absolute chad.

12 - Hapless Ogre sees Mor'Lag incoming, and feints at Infernal3, successfully making it Vulnerable to Mor'Lag's next attack.

8 - Infernal2 stomps into the ruin of the hut to gratuitously revel in its power.

7 - Zachary takes a wild snapshot at Infernal 1. It's a clean hit, scoring a -1 injury on it.

4 - Mor'Lag double-moves up, to flank Infernal 3 with Hapless Ogre. They're set up to clobber next round!

Turn (3)!

Infernal1 is punching on Felix but has taken damage from Zach, so you know they can be hurt; Infernal2 has curbstombed his previous opponent and is now free to start causing a ruckus; Infernal3 is squaring off against Mor'Lag and the poor hapless ogre stuck in the mix here. I'll give them a name in the IC description post. Felix so far has avoided paying a price for his hubris. And Zach rolls for his fear... (1d20+7)[25].

Jakk'ari, you're up. And as is always the case, I'm willing to sacrifice almost anything to allow people the freedom to post whenever they can, so feel free to post ahead of your initiative and if someone's action before yours changes your decisions, I'll be super generous about allowing ret-cons and rerolls and such.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-12-04 at 05:17 AM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Oh nice. I was about to ask if we needed more info here or something.

Also keep in mind that Isaera made a move action to approach. Probably like 1/3 of the way there. Is that enough to deal with the palisade concealment?

I thought of a weird inconsistency though... since the arcane spells take longer to cast through technique, do you think it's still perfectly valid moving and casting in the same round? (note, I think it has to be moving, then casting).

Do you also think if no move action is taken in a round, that could speed up the arcane casting speed? I mean, I'm the one who came up with these complications, but just wanting your opinion.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I'm definately seeing what you're seeing, Windstruck; as thematic and cool as I think your magic complication is, it's probably too punishing as it stands. So for now, I'm happy to say if you sacrifice your movement, you can fling the spell on the turn you cast it; otherwise you can move and then cast, and the spell will go off at the start of your next turn.

Moving your speed (30ft) will get you halfway to the palisade, but you'll need to be another 30ft closer before you're close enough to be using it as cover and shooting through its gaps directly. The 19 you already rolled for the last attack will hit even with the cover on them though, so you got that going for you. Also, the ranged folks are drawing Curbstomp's attention, so you might have to weigh the options of getting closer to bypass the cover, or staying at range to establish distance from threats!

After this fight, when we're in a bit of downtime, we'll work on recalibrating that casting complication too.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Well I like the idea of sacrificing the move action to get the spell off on my turn. Makes sense overall.

And you named the infernals now?

edit: I see now. The one that just killed an ogre was bored and decided to pick on us.

The question is, do we know it's coming?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-12-04 at 05:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, I named 'em because I always liked that convention in action fiction to differentiate between goons. And you're right - Headshot is the one who got hit (and has two spells pending to hit him right away, since he's the one about to smoosh Felix). But he's focused on the insufferable dweeb dinking his legs. Curbstomp presently has no opponents, and is noticing that someone is attacking his co-demolitionists. He's the one eye-balling you guys right now.

I can't believe Felix 20'd his toughness roll right when he needed it. He should be paste. Did you know Felix is latin for lucky?

Edit: I won't require you to make an insight check. He's definately doing the dumb killing machine math in his head about the small, spell-flinging mortals, and unless something pops up to legitimately grab his attention or pose a threat, he'll probably follow up on that instinct.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-12-04 at 05:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Rolling for initiative [roll0]

I don't know exactly how far Jakk'ari is from Felix and the other infernals since I believe he was behind Jakk'ari when he summoned the rain protecting everyone from the radiant fire damage. Also I don't know exactly what distance counts counts as medium and long rangeso I'm going to state my assumptions in post.
    Anyway, Jakk'ari is going to try to get close to Felix to protect him.
    Forgot to answer. But since your deflect has 3 ranks, its short range is 75ft. So by moving up, you're well within short range. Also you asked earlier about heals - I'm still too fresh to the system to know how much healing busts the game, so don't give me migraines and everything is great, okay? :)

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

So considering my next action.. is it possible to influence Felix to stop being a twerp? Feels like I'd have to both get closer and use a standard action to do so.

Also... do these infernals have a "time limit"? It makes me wonder if having them chase us until they just spontaneously go out would be a valid strategy...

That could also be a meta strategy, although.. given the circumstances, I don't really think running would be inappropriate to begin with.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    So considering my next action.. is it possible to influence Felix to stop being a twerp? Feels like I'd have to both get closer and use a standard action to do so.

Also... do these infernals have a "time limit"? It makes me wonder if having them chase us until they just spontaneously go out would be a valid strategy...

That could also be a meta strategy, although.. given the circumstances, I don't really think running would be inappropriate to begin with.
    Ahah, I remember that from WC3! They were timed there, I remember.

But no, they're manifested now and they plan on sticking around. There's a sort of narrative soft timer in the scenario as it stands - hold out long enough for the village ogres to get their act together and overwhelm the infernals with numbers - but at least in this interpretation, they're not going to time out and die or unsummon. Good thought, though.

As for influencing Felix, that's pretty much just roleplay, so I'm happy for that to be a free action you do while you're doing whatever else. You can roll a relevant social skill to try to be more convincing, too. No charge. At the range you're at, you can shout at him and he'll hear you.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, since only Jakk'ari and Tablesmasher have Isaera beat in initiative, I'll go ahead and post.

Any chance you can tell us if Headshot gets slowed down by Frost Bolt?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Hmm. Well, I'm rolling unusually well for NPC defences.

Headshot soaks the damage from the frostbolt, and shakes off the affliction. However, you can tell by the impact that he's not immune to either - the bolt just didn't hit it square on, like you'd prefer.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Well I thought you said it has some levels of imperiousness anyway, so a 1 damage frost bolt wouldn't really do much, unless you wanted to waive that because .. fel fire?

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

It’s impervious mod applies to attacks with a purely physical nature; magic is the best way to assail them!

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. By the way, I will say one thing: from another test run of this system... it really does take a long time for enemies to drop if they aren't minions. And a lot of it comes down to RNG. Just hope you are aware.

This fight could drag on for a long time.. if we aren't somehow smashed into paste.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Warning noted. I’ll have my box of deus ex machina here if it becomes clear I’ve over egged the encounter! I may even do something crazy like double turns (everyone takes two turns in their intitiative) to speed things. But standard stuff for now!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

I messed up the dice roll as well.
    (1d20+8)[10]