New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

Great! Since you're here.. do you think Isaera would have enough time to brew up a seasickness potion or two in the week we have before departing for Ratchet?

Erm, that is. An anti-seasickness potion?

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Absolutely. Seems like the kind of thing she’d do, and plan for.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, nice!

Also, I just thought of something else. Since Aleeana has been selected for our staff, and I assume she will be coming along the boat ride as well...

Well, I'm assuming stuff happens, like the crew flirt with her too, but to be fair I could narrate her acting any number of ways. She feels like your character (being a NPC and all) more than mine, even though she is related to my PC, but I still wanted your input. I feel like I wouldn't have a clear idea of how she reacts to many situations.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Okay, nice!

Also, I just thought of something else. Since Aleeana has been selected for our staff, and I assume she will be coming along the boat ride as well...

Well, I'm assuming stuff happens, like the crew flirt with her too, but to be fair I could narrate her acting any number of ways. She feels like your character (being a NPC and all) more than mine, even though she is related to my PC, but I still wanted your input. I feel like I wouldn't have a clear idea of how she reacts to many situations.
    I’m happy to retrodescribe her actions on the boat! I just forgot. I think I have a pretty good grasp on her personality at this point, but if you had some of own, few free to imply them in your post and I’ll flesh them out when I get to mine. TLDR go for it, I can swim!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

I decided I'd go ham with a silly idea for Isaera. Did not write any reactions or actions for Aleeana too (even if I did the post is still so lengthy) but yeah, feel free to tack on some stuff after?

Honestly, I feel like if you tried to edit more in now, it'll be lost in the other sea of text.

Post is incoming in 3.. 2.. 1... er.. when I do one more pass of proofreading.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Posting tonight. Scouts honour. Sorry, I've been so distracted recently >_<.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I decided I'd go ham with a silly idea for Isaera. Did not write any reactions or actions for Aleeana too (even if I did the post is still so lengthy) but yeah, feel free to tack on some stuff after?

Honestly, I feel like if you tried to edit more in now, it'll be lost in the other sea of text.

Post is incoming in 3.. 2.. 1... er.. when I do one more pass of proofreading.
    Ahaha, excellent. I'd been aware we hadn't had a scene were Isaera wasn't able to showcase her gorgeous magical show-off aspect since the very introduction, so I'm pleased the ridiculous cruise has provided just such an opportunity. And now she'll have to make her debut in Ratchet doing a swimsuit runway walk down the main street. This is excellent; and I am further encouraged in my decision to unilaterally declare that skimpy clothing is present in Azeroth because of elven fashion, and not just because World of Warcraft has been a nexus of canonical fantasy cheesecake art style forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Posting tonight. Scouts honour. Sorry, I've been so distracted recently >_<.
    Worry thee not, noble player; for just as you have endured my tardiness in posting, so I shall endure yours. :D Looking forward to reading it.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-19 at 05:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Since Isaera didn't have many opportunities to show off or be theatrical I was going to roleplay Jakk'ari becoming trustful and respecting of Isaera as a mature adult who grew up due facing conflict and danger. But it looks like that will have to be put on hold. I think there's strength in remaining light hearted in spite of hardship instead of dour and mistrustful. I like the post and how theatrical and dramatic Isaera is. What does Aleana think of Isaera's display? Does she roll her eyes, join her, or do something else?

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

I think how far Isaera has to go may depend on if other people got tired of her antics and decided to move her luggage further off the pier and into town.

And yes, no idea how Aleeana or Marion would be acting as well. I could probably see it going either way at this point...

10. - Top - End - #550

DruidGuy

Hopefully Marion and Aleana can help out Isaera. Jakk'ari doesn't know what the big deal is, and he has to get directions to the keep.
    Aleana might take advantage of the situation, but Marion probably won't. Probably.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Unless I'm reading something wrong, Isaera needs clothes because her luggage was off-loaded early or some such? Apologies if I misinterpret, my brain has been mush recently.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Unless I'm reading something wrong, Isaera needs clothes because her luggage was off-loaded early or some such? Apologies if I misinterpret, my brain has been mush recently.
    I mean I think that's somewhat true? But in all honesty, I don't think the luggage could have gone far. It's probably still on the pier or something in Ratchet, unless someone decided to purposefully move it.

edit: there may be further confusion because some certain people have added in actions of other characters which are not their own, and which may have in fact not happened at all.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-01-20 at 10:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hah but that is the general problem she has atm? A lack of fresh clothes? Just confirming.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Gonna post tonight; should be enough to unite the main group and it’s new member, enough to lay out the ground for some first impressions! Also, don’t worry too much about Isaera’s dilemma - Aleeana has her back. Maybe.

15. - Top - End - #555

DruidGuy

If Isaera is going to go through town almost naked Jakk'ari is going to do so as well in a show of misguided solidarity while trying to help an uncomfortable party member out.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    If Isaera is going to go through town almost naked Jakk'ari is going to do so as well in a show of misguided solidarity while trying to help an uncomfortable party member out.
    That will not be necessary! But the sentiment is appreciated by me, your audience, all the same. :)

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Hah but that is the general problem she has atm? A lack of fresh clothes? Just confirming.
    The problem is Isaera's clothes are in her bags/luggages/boxes. And those were already offloaded from the ship without her realizing.

Well I'm glad it made an entertaining turn of events. And a hunky elf pirate?? Too bad he's already going out to sea!

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The problem is Isaera's clothes are in her bags/luggages/boxes. And those were already offloaded from the ship without her realizing.

Well I'm glad it made an entertaining turn of events. And a hunky elf pirate?? Too bad he's already going out to sea!
    Alas! This is the life of a mysterious and rugged man of adventure. Perhaps Isaera will see Captain Smoulderabs again. Who can say?

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I know what it's like to be lusted after by multiple women that gaze upon me IRL, so if you need any RP tips Mr GM do not hesitate to ask for I will happily share them.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-01-21 at 09:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I know what it's like to be lusted after by multiple women that gaze upon me IRL, so if you need any RP tips Mr GM do not hesitate to ask for I will happily share them.
    I will make special note of your great wisdom!

21. - Top - End - #561

RedKnightGirl

I can't tell, are all the elves hyper attractive generally from human POV, or are elves in Rachet basically like actors in Hollywood --- they have to have a ton of skill and looks just to get by? Isaera, Smoulderabs, Aleeana....that other elf guy that rode the warcraft completely original do not steal not-chocobo? Balandar? They're all described as dreamy on some level.

Spoiler
    Show
    a certain other elf that i don't think made it on the boat also seems very fun and fitting, boo bring her back MrAbdiel

Not that I'm complaining when I'm not exactly helping to subvert anything. Mostly curious.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    I can't tell, are all the elves hyper attractive generally from human POV, or are elves in Rachet basically like actors in Hollywood --- they have to have a ton of skill and looks just to get by? Isaera, Smoulderabs, Aleeana....that other elf guy that rode the warcraft completely original do not steal not-chocobo? Balandar? They're all described as dreamy on some level.

a certain other elf that i don't think made it on the boat also seems very fun and fitting, boo bring her back MrAbdiel
    Not that I'm complaining when I'm not exactly helping to subvert anything. Mostly curious.
    Firstly...

...the warcraft completely original do not steal not-chocobo?
    Real life has no do-not-steal!

I can't tell, are all the elves hyper attractive generally from human POV, or are elves in Rachet basically like actors in Hollywood --- they have to have a ton of skill and looks just to get by?
    Well, there's obviously a bunch of different takes on elves in different fantasy genres. In Warcraft, there's no specific piece of lore I've seen that says they are blessed with supernatural beautiful for some reason. One could make the arguement that the extreme elf eyebrows in Warcraft are an interesting departure from the classical beauty standard we've come to expect from elves. But it is an elven trope that they are beautiful, and I like that trope. When Tolkien write his elves, they were explicitly superior to mankind in most ways because they were closer to divinity, and one of those ways was beauty. And he stuck with the trope you've invoked, too - the idea that evil and ugliness are inherently linked, as are good and beauty. I like that trope too. It's a fairy tale trope at its most grounded level for our culture - wart nosed witches, chisel jawed princes - and it makes sense in a fairy tale world because that's the kind of law that reigns there. Fantasy is only cousin to fairy tale, so it makes a little less sense; but that only means you can set an interesting standard to be subverted by the distressingly beautiful succubus, or the rough-faced, scarred and yes, ugly defender of goodness, which almost bridges the gap from fantasy to gothic - Some must become ugly to protect the good from ugliness. Fantasy's such a great genre not because it's free of tropes, but because it's a churning jambalaya of them, free to compete and devour each other and rise again in a bastard language of writing shorthand we all instinctively know and therefore can be compelled by.

None of that answers your question. In my World of Warcraft, there exists both a sense of absolute beauty and a relative one. Even a Tauren who spends any time with elves will come to regard them as fantastically beautiful people, even if that beauty may not intersect with his own species-centred sense of what makes a person beautiful. He's unlikely to come away scratching his head and thinking "I don't know what all the fuss is about, they don't even have horns or fur???" He'll get it, just as folks can recognize beauty in a gender to which they are not attracted. Elves occupy a very high slot on that absolute sense of beauty that everyone can recognize, and also that's where their own relative sense of beauty exists, so their whole culture and affect is saturated with recognition of it.

As for why... Well, I'm inclined to say it has to do something with magic. Elves in WoW have a very specific relationship with magic - they require it dietarilly, and that diet of magic causes progessive physiological changes to the elves who partake in it. The mystical arcane energies of Elune were infused in the Well of Eternity, which is the fond of creation for the ancient highborne night elves (apparently, changing them from Dark Trolls into the first elves). It is implied that this was a miraculous act of creation, not just a sippo-chango thing; but the point is that night elves are what happens physiologically to elves who are infused with Elune's arcane energies. When the Well of Eternity was destroyed, Elune gave her children Moon Wells as an effective substitute. When the schism split the high elves off from the night elves, they found a new source of magical infusion in the Sunwell, and so we know High Elves are a permutation of elves caused by that infusion. You can apply that on and on with the later elf variants, too; but the point is that the nature of elves is that their magical diet keeps them physically conformed to certain aesthetic ideals associate with the origins of that magic. So that's why.

The portal mage from the opening scene?

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

It would be a lot easier if you just blamed me for putting the Very Attractive trait on Isaera.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

FINE it's all your fault! :D

Honestly, I feel like the baseline for elves is taking Attractive; and an elf without Attractive is very uncommonly disfigured or fascinatingly plain. Very Attractive is still top shelf.

And I guess if you want to be as attractive on the elf scale as humans with Very Attractive are to each other, then.. You'd need a custom power that boosted your Persuasion, Deception and Intimidation skills only in situations where attractive applies.

25. - Top - End - #565

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

All that was so thorough it answered questions to my questions. I was even wondering about LotRs stuff but you highlighted that as well. I never actually read the books, though. Watched the films (they're like fantasy titanic; enjoyable if you can get into how long they are) and tried to read the first book. That attempt didn't go so great....he's very detailed in mentioning family relationships, but it's easy to turn a blind eye to it when you consider Tolkien is the grandfather of the fantasy genre (unless I'm wrong). Legolas wouldn't exist without him!

We might never have had the quintessential hottie elf or this conversation without LoTR.

The portal mage from the opening scene?
    There was a portal mage? I mean oh yeah....the portal mage. 100% that elf and not.....one of the much more recent elf characters....defo. You'd have to be silly to like one of them....

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Real life has no do-not-steal!

i don't even know how to feel about this right now

how is that a thing

And I guess if you want to be as attractive on the elf scale as humans with Very Attractive are to each other, then.. You'd need a custom power that boosted your Persuasion, Deception and Intimidation skills only in situations where attractive applies.
    It's amazing how much customization you can pull off in this system. How much would Flirt: the Superpower, cost? Also in terms of graffitiing the walls adding defenses to potentially make our tower or walls more resilient, would that be an Enchantment thing or an Inscription thing (or both, or neither)? I understand those would likely be one-scene only options that could be prepared only in downtime anyway (if they're an option at all), but in case we have dragons or demons or w/e breathing/bearing down us in the future, it might make sense to have flame resistant device/dispel-o-matic on standby. I'd rather have a fire hydrant and not need it sorta situation.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-01-23 at 05:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566

DruidGuy

The elven sailor is reminding me of the pirate romance subgenre. I don't expect a genre shift but the thought of the story becoming a romance is amusing. I'm expecting the elven sailor to be a demon hunter adversary more than a potential love interest or party ally.

I would also like to progress the scene and unite the party sooner than later. So Jakk'ari is trying to find out why Isaera isn't coming out of the ship.
    Spoiler: Pirate fiction Ex.
    Show
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-01-24 at 01:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lmao, Jakk’ari got that big ‘vacation dad’ energy. I want to give Isaera a chance to react to the doin’s. I’ll probably shuffle the scene together tomorrow, and any reaction to the earlier scene can be back posted as normal.

JWL, I’ll give you an answer re: inscriptions for better living when I get home and can eyeball some rules.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-24 at 01:59 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568

DruidGuy

Lmao, Jakk’ari got that big ‘vacation dad’ energy.

JWL, I’ll give you an answer re: inscriptions for better living when I get home and can eyeball some rules.
    It kind of clicked for me just how old Jakk'ari is to the rest of group once I remembered Marion is 19 years old and none of the other party active party members have children.
    So, I think Jakk'ari being a little curmudgeonly makes sense and will be fun to roleplay.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

It's true, he is the 'old man' of the group, archetypically. Obviously Isaera is physically older than him; but youth in long lived fantasy races in settings like Warcraft develop along a maturity track that does not necessarily correspond to age (because to be strongly relatable characters they must be fundamentally human as narrative creatures); and Windstruck has been playing Isaera - if I'm reading it all right - as a very young woman who is carrying an outsized amount of maturity for her family's sake, but has not integrated it into who she is sort of... emotionally. You know, because her whole world was smashed to pieces and she had to go from little sister to grown woman supporting the family in a very short time. Indeed, if we get to play long enough, integrating that maturity and 'growing up' will make part of Isaera's (and Marion's, and Emelia's) story a coming-of-age one. I like this game we have going a lot because all the characters are pretty clear and distinct to me, and you've all been rather cool with accepting the way I take two scoops of liberty with your backstory blank spaces.

Also, with Mor'Lag, Emelia, Isaera and Marion being the main cast with Jakk'ari, with Zachary becoming an arm's length NPC, he's also the only masculine figure in the group. Gonna need a man-troll cave to invite his friends from Brackenwall to come gamble with him.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-24 at 03:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570

RedKnightGirl

Oh a cave that's GREAT we can put some nice frilly defense inscriptions here and some big bright enchantments over there and do you really need this big ugly rock shaped like an earth spirit---? You know what don't worry I already rolled it into the sea y/w!