New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

So how is contacting elementals going to occur?
    Is it going to be a skill check or a random encounter?

[roll]1d20[/roll]
    Last edited by Plaids; 2021-10-05 at 02:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

If you are trying to make a roll, you can't edit it in. Rolls can only be made the first time the post is created. So keep that in mind. If you mess up rolls, you'll probably have to double post somewhere to get the proper roll in.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-10-05 at 03:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fort roll: (1D20+6)[21]
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Btw, Mr GM, can I have Marion already possessing a few Soul Shards? Like roll a D4 or something?

Maybe SS: (1D4)[3]
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Btw, Mr GM, can I have Marion already possessing a few Soul Shards? Like roll a D4 or something?

Maybe SS: [roll0]
    You are thusly blessed. Have your 3 shards.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spiffy, tyvm.

7. - Top - End - #37

DruidGuy

I'm liking how the games going so far.
    I'd like to see if any elementals are in the vicinity and if they know about anything of the local factions activities.
    Spoiler: Elemental roll
    Show
    (1d20)[12]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    I'm liking how the games going so far.
    I'd like to see if any elementals are in the vicinity and if they know about anything of the local factions activities.
    Spoiler: Elemental roll
    Show
    [roll0]
    Sorry Plaids, I saw your earlier post too! I promise I’m not ignoring you, just giving thought to how I’d like to handle spirits now and in perpetuity. I’ll have an elemental reply for you in a couple hours when I get home.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Okay, so vis-à-vis contacting elemental spirits: I'm going to say under normal conditions it's a DC 10 Expertise: Magic check that requires you to speak Kalimag (you do). Since you've paid for the power to be able to have just such consultations, I'm happy to say you can do the routine Take 10 and pass unless you're doing so in the middle of a combat, or if the DC is higher because, say, fel taint or arcane bleed has squashed the natural elemental presence somewhat. You might end up getting called upon by the elements in turn, too; but whether you pick up the phone will be up to you.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-06 at 05:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not very enthusiastic about the whole scouting idea.. namely because, the technique of just being loud to ward predators away works quite well, and we'd all be together to face any potential threats.

Also, we really shouldn't be expecting any other particular dangers, like.. horde forces here. We're traveling to some other outpost, a watchtower or something, if I understood correctly, so until we get there, when we break off with this group of medics, I think we'll be fine.

And then when we're on our own, we'll have a smaller group that can be stealthy.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I'm not very enthusiastic about the whole scouting idea.. namely because, the technique of just being loud to ward predators away works quite well, and we'd all be together to face any potential threats.

Also, we really shouldn't be expecting any other particular dangers, like.. horde forces here. We're traveling to some other outpost, a watchtower or something, if I understood correctly, so until we get there, when we break off with this group of medics, I think we'll be fine.

And then when we're on our own, we'll have a smaller group that can be stealthy.
    You have the structure of the journey correct; though if the ranger wants to sneak ahead alone or with a buddy, it won’t wreck that plan.

12. - Top - End - #42

DruidGuy

I'm liking these clues and how everyone came together to set up camp.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I was AFK for a day and a half. Thanks for looking after Mor'Lag. I don't think they would make a good scout, though
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well I'm glad y'all like it so far! A word on that kind of narration: I will occasionally take the liberty to tie up a scene or introduce some turn of events that way with a very minor supposition of your character's involvement. In this case, based on everyone's displayed temperaments and previous actions, it seemed pretty intuitive that they'd collaborate on something like that project if it was obvious it was an option; and me describing it in one hit like that saves on a pretty protracted back and forth. I'm not going to make your character say specific things or act out of character even in those minor presumptions, but if I ever do manage to step on someone's toe by making their character do or not do a thing how you'd prefer, just let me know and I'll edit-retcon it to smooth it out.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Marion is just an unassuming traveller...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Some would say suspiciously unassuming!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Who, Marion? Never...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I posted, then realized Marion had posted just before me so edited in a reaction to her actions; and then realized I hadn't resolved Zach's artificin' so I edited that in too. Tomorrow I'll set up the next days travel, and if Zachary wants to scout ahead with or without company I'll edit that in as needed! :D

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Yey my artifice is recognized. Granted I vanished for a whole day but eyyy I had real life things steal all my attention lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFinchy View Post
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by hand ax ranger View Post
    Yey my artifice is recognized. Granted I vanished for a whole day but eyyy I had real life things steal all my attention lol.
    Real life > RP. If someone takes more than a day and a half to respond then IÂ’ll consider moving the scene forward with no malice toward them. WeÂ’re playing a game meant for short face to fact sessions, but we are doing it with typed words in individual blips of time and text over a period of weeks and weeks. We can afford to forgive each other a little! :)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Real life > RP. If someone takes more than a day and a half to respond then IÂ’ll consider moving the scene forward with no malice toward them. WeÂ’re playing a game meant for short face to fact sessions, but we are doing it with typed words in individual blips of time and text over a period of weeks and weeks. We can afford to forgive each other a little! :)
    Well said lol. I got nothing more to say to this except "yey and such"
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFinchy View Post
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Little warning - I realised I have a pretty packed next… 48 hours, so my next scene post might be a bit longer coming seeing as I can’t just crank those out in 10 minute slots on my phone during a work break! But I’ll do it as soon as I can!

Edit: But don’t let me stop you guys from posting, because this is all great.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-07 at 04:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Little warning - I realised I have a pretty packed next… 48 hours, so my next scene post might be a bit longer coming seeing as I can’t just crank those out in 10 minute slots on my phone during a work break! But I’ll do it as soon as I can!

Edit: But don’t let me stop you guys from posting, because this is all great.
    Spoiler: Edit Edit:
    Show
    https://youtu.be/6zeq6g2riyY by the way, for musical and ambient zone inspiration.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-07 at 05:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Hey gang! I’m planning to do a little stuff exploring your characters backgrounds and stuff going forward. Naturally, because you have written short backgrounds like I asked and not exhaustive Wikipedia pages, there’s plenty of play in the joints for me. My approach by standard is to see any vacant space in your background as something I can do something with in the rough direction of your character concept.

For example, if you have mentioned your character came from a big family, I will feel at liberty to introduce parts or all of that big family as appropriate. If you’ve specified a family of three girls and three boys, I’ll work on that narrower parameter, and so forth. If I’m going to introduce something challenging to your characters story, it’ll always be something that in my best efforts I see conforms to your character’s concept. For example, a character who was playing a squire who wanted to be a knight like his father may leave the specifics about his father open to me. I might introduce the idea that his father sought to become a Paladin, but had no patience for the mystical studies. I would -not- I introduce the idea that his father was a coward, because that so plainly contradicts the character’s concept.

So that level of care is my default. It’s easier to make interesting things for you to react to with about that much “room” to define things in your character’s life and background. If there’s anything about that which you are unsure about, go ahead and point it out to me. I’m here to co-write good stories and try to drive these PCs into your personal pantheons of “favourite characters I’ve played.” Your satisfaction is my mission!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Did you enjoy the Starcraft lore? At least beforw they went insane with Heart of the Swarm and onwards.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Starcraft lore is awesome and I considered doing a Starcraft PBP also. I even didn't hate the expansion on zerg as the weird darwinian hunger games. But everything about the Xel'Naga came off as anti-cool, and Kerrigan is just... Well, you know.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I loke the lore up until Wings of Liberty, and even the end of de-zerging kerrigan in that was silly. Heart of the Swarm is when the lore went off the rails, imo.

If you ever do a Starcraft one let me know. Playing an ex-ghost turned merc or wraith pilot etc would be fun. There's a free D6 versiob (based off Star Wars D6) floating around somewhere I think.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I will let you know! I kind of liked the de-zerging of Kerrigan as it was the perfect end of Raynor's arc. Kerrigan once told him that the knight in shining armor routine suited him - just not now. And at the end, he gallantly threw himself into the jaws of the dragon to carry her from its wicked teeth. That's beautiful, imho. The current fascination with devaluing classic prince-and-damsel mythology not withstanding, it seemed to hit all the right notes. But it's not just Raynor's story, it's also Kerrigan's; and the re-zerging immediately at the beginning of HotS felt like almost a... meta-sacrifice. Like Raynor's story had to be sacrificed to save Kerrigan from being seen as god-forbid vulnerable. And the Protoss campaign was so wholecloth new Protoss lore with its crystals, and its space gods, and its beam battles it's one big, unmemorable multicolored blob in my memory. I remember the great snippening of the brain cords, and that's about it.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh, before I forget!

@Feathersnow - did you have a particular ogre clan you wanted to be from, or are you happy to let me play with that space? Family details, same question? I know that Mor'Lag's father and grandmother fought in the orc-human wars. Did you have ideas for a specific arrangement for those things, or am I free to unfold that history? Additionally, I don't think I ever asked you for complications for Mor'Lag, which is a huge oversight on my part; but if you can throw a few of those into your sheet, it'll give me clues for how to present story to her and ways for me mechanically to reward you with VPs. Oh, and I should ask how old Mor'Lag is.

@Bananaphone - Any details about Marion's family besides that the Mordis were a minor noble house that you'd like to lock down before I start calling on that backstory? Family members still living, or dead, or executed for collaboration with the horde - or you can just trust me. :D

@Plaids - You've mentioned that your troll is a diplomat from a desert village, and I kind of pigeonholed you into being a sand troll (Sandfury, as Mor'Lag has said). This doesn't have to be the case if that's not what you meant! But the Sandfury (or "Farraki") are the most deserty trolls available. Any immediate family you want me to consider for him, going forward? And how old is Jakk'ari? His temperament suggests to me he's not super young, but maybe not quite middle aged. Since trolls live under normal conditions approximately as long as humans and orcs, he might be in that 20-40 range? Oh, and in case you were wondering in regards to Zachary's question, I can't find any lore that suggests trolls implicitly have low light vision. But I wouldn't be surprised if some kinds (jungle trolls for example) possessed it. But sand trolls if anything will be adapted for extreme-light mitigation! ;)

@WindStruck - Isaera comes off as young, but she's an high elf, so that could be like.. a hundred years old. Since elves mature as fast as humans physically, she could be as young as 18 or 19, in which case she would have been born right about the time the elves got pulled into the 2nd War, and in her mid teens when the scourge hit. I think I know enough about your family from your background, but if there's anything you want to specify or add, that's up to you!

@hand ax ranger - Same questions! How old is Zachary? If he was experimented on during the late third war period to potentially be used against the horde, he'd want to be 25+ now, since that was about 5 years ago. Does he have any living family that he knows about or is in contact with, or has he cut himself off from his old life? Or a war orphan - possibly contributing to why he was selected for that profane transformation? Any particular human nation or kingdom you want him to be native to - Stormwind, Kul Tiras, Lordaeron, Dalaran, Gilneas, etc? Stormwind being the current heart of the alliance, Lordaeron being the gold standard for humans whose lives were obliterated by the scourge.

I think that's all. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-10-08 at 06:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I think Isaera could have been like 20 during the 2nd war. As I had said in one of the IC posts regarding the sailor shanty, she was a child as the second war hit.

So I guess that puts her at around 40. For an elf, I guess 40 or so is still pretty young... but honestly I'm not really a fan of the whole, "you are a child for a full century".

There's probably different ways you could have elves treat another based on that, but I do believe she should be treated as an adult and her own person.