New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

Posting tonight.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

2. - Top - End - #572
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jakk'ari: That was a custom Therazane statue Emilia. That's like dropping a bust of Admiral Proudmoore into Orgrimmar. We need to get it back before Stormwind is consumed by the ocean.

Neptulon the elemental lord of the ocean would likely be most displeased with an image of a rival entering his domain.
    Spoiler: Therazane and Neptulon
    Show

Last edited by Plaids; 2022-01-25 at 03:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, well we do have an expertise history. And also, Isaeara happens to be an elf. Uh.. let's see.

(1d20+8)[25]

I'm sure one could fill many librams with the list of things you are not aware of, human.
    Spoiler: meme
    Show

I love Aleeana even more now!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-01-26 at 06:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Okay, well we do have an expertise history. And also, Isaeara happens to be an elf. Uh.. let's see.

[roll0]

Show

If you don’t sass the humans, they grow up thinking they’re not so ridiculous. That wouldn’t do! :)

Also I love that Mor’Lag is bewildered and disgusted by the idea of altruism. Not the possibility that would be hypocritical, but the altruism itself.

5. - Top - End - #575

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    If you don’t sass the humans, they grow up thinking they’re not so ridiculous. That wouldn’t do! :)

Also I love that Mor’Lag is bewildered and disgusted by the idea of altruism. Not the possibility that would be hypocritical, but the altruism itself.
    1st, I blame my recent post on you saying elves are canonically supposed to be stunning, far above normal human expectations.

2nd, MorLag is honestly the most confusing to me OOC - the desires are probably straight forward, but the few posts I catch here and there are like trying to pull together an ogre sized puzzle after hiding half the pieces.

You literally made me understand with your above post. It's like totally different cultures (which is the point of the Opal so....)

3rd, should I post my 3-week-plan here, or in the IC? I have most of it written and think I have to do a long and short version.

I'm striving to poke every PC at least once, because guild, but also have independent actions, because I have my own life MOM. Give everyone a taste of Putting Up With Emilia for 3 whole weeks. (nah it won't be that bad. Maybe)

Show

I couldn't say i-know-u-are-but-what-am-i, even if it's better than what I wrote. Such is life of the sassed!
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-01-30 at 02:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mor'Lag was inspired by unpleasant philosophers I don't necessarily agree with IRL, but can't claim to fully understand, either. Most notably, Nietzche. I have to give credit to the show Andromeda for modeling it.

Strength is a the cardinal virtue, followed by tenacity. Her culture exalts animals as moral exemplars. The Ogres never surrender and seek only to further their own goals, followed by the goals of their clan. They acknowledge authority only by blood- either in kinship or the fear of its shedding. Honor, to them, is just a gloss to cover thus fact, and they disdain the orcs for actually making a virtue of it.

Mor's hatred of magic is a huge cultural departure, a mental illness by the standards of her people, and trying to become a mage represents healing.

That said- Mor'Lag is not evil, merely aggressively neutral, in DnD terms. She has no malice or sadism in her, just a total lack of sympathy.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    1st, I blame my recent post on you saying elves are canonically supposed to be stunning, far above normal human expectations.
    Hahah! Excellent. This moment will feed the furnace of Isaera's self image for days to come, I expect. Also - was it a typo to all her miss "Runescape", or just a floundering vis-à-vis the stunlock?

Hold off on the 3 week plan, I'll throw open the floor to that soon. Giving the other Chars a chance to respond IC their impressions of Emilia, and then onwards we go!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-01-30 at 02:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Runescape would be a humorous slip of the tongue I'll deal with properly.

But as far as I am aware, Isaera's eyes are still blue.

9. - Top - End - #579

DruidGuy

I like how Emelia mispronounced Iseara's last name due to her being flustered. Even with the mnemonic exercises she got her last name wrong which is a nice detail.
    Given Emelia's view of Schlep, her sarcasm with Aleana, and her upbringing I think the group is getting a highborn lady who could rival Marion.

As for Emelia's questions to Jakk'ari I don't think shamanism and the light have any fundamental conflicts but hopefully Mr.Abdiel or a wiki search will find something. The first piece of the garden will be requested shortly.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I have gone back and retconned the letter Emilia got so it now says 'Runescape' referring to Isaera's family, because it was likely a typo on JWL's part, and it's funny to me that she spent all this time memorizing names and had been given a bum steer.

Shamanism and the light do not have any true conflicts. But both tend to form the spiritual core of the societies that adopt them, pushing out reference to the other. Which is to say, having two practitioners together under one roof, using different disciplines, isn't a mechanical problem; just a philosophical one. And, basically, the understanding that humans and the other alliance races have of shamanism is quite weak, since they have so little of it in their own ranks presently. The Wildhammer and Darkiron shamans are presently estranged from the Bronzebeard dwarves; the Draenei haven't shown up yet; and the Kul'Tiran wavespeakers are shuttered off from the world, wounded at a national level by the betrayal of Jaina Proudmoore at the battle of Theramore.

Likewise, the Horde races don't much understand paladins. They understand the light as a powersource accessed through intermediary powers and tools - troll priests drawing it through light afilliated Loa spirits, and forsaken priests through the same rituals they had in life. But Paladins are almost a different breed because they manifest their powers with the same physicality and instinct paired to their learned wisdom that one might expect of a shaman. And while Forsaken are able to remain priests though it pains them to do so, no Forsaken so far has been able to channel blessings and seals like a paladin does. This bifurcates paladins and shamans on either side of the faction wall, but the power of the elements, which come from Azeroth's own physical-spiritual corpus and the elemental realms connected therein, and the Light which comes from one of the great external planes devoted entirely to the Light, are not inherently hostile to each other. Indeed, they're natural allies - though this is not something the world of Azeroth will grasp until the restoration of the Sunwell and the arrival of the Draenei, in the conventional timeline. In this timeline?

Who knows?

11. - Top - End - #581

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    I like how Emelia mispronounced Iseara's last name due to her being flustered. Even with the mnemonic exercises she got her last name wrong which is a nice detail.
    Given Emelia's view of Schlep, her sarcasm with Aleana, and her upbringing I think the group is getting a highborn lady who could rival Marion.

As for Emelia's questions to Jakk'ari I don't think shamanism and the light have any fundamental conflicts but hopefully Mr.Abdiel or a wiki search will find something. The first piece of the garden will be requested shortly.
    I was thinking about Marion a lot; getting along or not, and was concerned it'd be a bad mix initially. But the more I think, the more obvious they either find each other good company, or are almost indifferent. The goals are different, but not in any real conflict, and as a Warlock with no discernible taint there's no immediate issue to be concerned with. Also they have a kind of noble etiquette in their back pocket and similar ish personality traits, flaws aside. I would be surprised if any large issues come up that aren't frankly felt by everyone.

Love that you answered my garden question and gave a wise shamany answer about avoiding potential conflict. Not sure I appreciate what it fully means, but I like it.

Also MrAbdiel may or may not have totally 100% said in a PM he could have deleted and forgotten by now that you should maybe consider introducing me to the NPCs in your story! Chief Diplomat and Liaison and all hat. But it's a pretty daunting thing, tbh, doing all that, so I feel maybe we should find a fair way to go about it. Like say, idk ....go in alphabetic order of race? Or maybe....alphabetic order of names? That could work too.

Or maybe we should just go for opposites. Like, you know, paladins are so melee, and we already have Aleeana for arrows, so maybe get more mages? Really there's so many ways to do this. You're the expert here I'm just throwing out impartial unbiased non self interested ideas here.

I have gone back and retconned the letter Emilia got so it now says 'Runescape' referring to Isaera's family, because it was likely a typo on JWL's part, and it's funny to me that she spent all this time memorizing names and had been given a bum steer.

Shamanism and the light do not have any true conflicts. But both tend to form the spiritual core of the societies that adopt them, pushing out reference to the other. Which is to say, having two practitioners together under one roof, using different disciplines, isn't a mechanical problem; just a philosophical one. And, basically, the understanding that humans and the other alliance races have of shamanism is quite weak, since they have so little of it in their own ranks presently.
    no means no to letter retcon plz :<

Play on (this time)!

Also, I like how you actually understand all this to the point where I no longer feel lost OOC as well. It's strangely reassuring.

Runescape would be a humorous slip of the tongue I'll deal with properly.

But as far as I am aware, Isaera's eyes are still blue.
    This really feels like it must be half sister territory even if I know it isn't because magic. Gonna ask questions IC later on because it's pretty obvious.

But blue is blue so whoops. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    Mor'Lag was inspired by unpleasant philosophers I don't necessarily agree with IRL, but can't claim to fully understand, either. Most notably, Nietzche. I have to give credit to the show Andromeda for modeling it.

Strength is a the cardinal virtue, followed by tenacity. Her culture exalts animals as moral exemplars. The Ogres never surrender and seek only to further their own goals, followed by the goals of their clan. They acknowledge authority only by blood- either in kinship or the fear of its shedding. Honor, to them, is just a gloss to cover thus fact, and they disdain the orcs for actually making a virtue of it.

Mor's hatred of magic is a huge cultural departure, a mental illness by the standards of her people, and trying to become a mage represents healing.
    That's a clear and crisp breakdown I would have struggled to get through my glancing alone, so tyvm! Never read Nietzche and probably never will? He sounds very.....hardcore? But he was supposed to have a really constrained and difficult life so it's no wonder I feel differently.

One of those things.

What's compelled you to look him up? Academic or personal interest or?

That said- Mor'Lag is not evil, merely aggressively neutral, in DnD terms. She has no malice or sadism in her, just a total lack of sympathy.
    Neutral Warlike is best Warlike, Feathersnow. #impartial

Hahah! Excellent. This moment will feed the furnace of Isaera's self image for days to come, I expect. Also - was it a typo to all her miss "Runescape", or just a floundering vis-à-vis the stunlock?

Hold off on the 3 week plan, I'll throw open the floor to that soon. Giving the other Chars a chance to respond IC their impressions of Emilia, and then onwards we go!
    Let's all pretend it was intentional and not just a pleasant mistake due to late night writing. :>

That said, like the PM request, no saving face here with retcon plz. I like the option to retcon, but I'm comfy playing from where the ball landed (this time, anyway....)

Holding off on the 3 week plan. With WindStruck and Plaids replies in, should I wait a bit more for BP? It would be helpful to have a warlocks expertise but no big deal if Marion is distracted. Maybe. It's not great if she's away but we might have to make due.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

What's compelled you to look him up? Academic or personal interest or?
    I got a grab bag of random knowledge in my BLS in English, especially since most of the RPG players at the college were in Philosophy.

Nietzche really maps better than any other Philosophy I know to the actions of Ogres as portrayed in the lore, assuming one doesn't just view them as Stupid Evil.

So I retro-applied what I knew when fleshing out Mor'Lag. The SWEU Sith were also an ingredient. But the single biggest factor was the Nietzchean civilization from Andromeda, which was based notes from Gene Roddenberry from when he considered making a Space Opera, but before he decided on making a new Trek series
    GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

I think MrAbdiel and I could confirm that Aleeana and Isaera are actual sisters, not half sisters.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with some extra postings. Especially seeing as we're in a conversation here. Do you normally, consistently talk with like 5 other people at once and backtrack to subjects that were brought up minutes ago by someone else because you were already in the middle of trying to understand someone else without having their speech drown out? Probably not...

So in short, I think you should feel welcome to respond to roleplaying. Just as long as the parties involved don't get excessively too far ahead of everyone else.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Posting today.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I think MrAbdiel and I could confirm that Aleeana and Isaera are actual sisters, not half sisters.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with some extra postings. Especially seeing as we're in a conversation here. Do you normally, consistently talk with like 5 other people at once and backtrack to subjects that were brought up minutes ago by someone else because you were already in the middle of trying to understand someone else without having their speech drown out? Probably not...

So in short, I think you should feel welcome to respond to roleplaying. Just as long as the parties involved don't get excessively too far ahead of everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Posting today.
    Woo hoo! I love posts.

Re: Aleeana, yep! Full sister. All Isaera’s siblings are full. There’s also the cousins, about which we have seen less.

As for NPC’s, JWL, don’t you worry; you’ll get more than you know what to do with!

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ahahaha

Marion: “I hope this light-happy frootloop doesn’t mistake me for one of those -crazy- warlocks. Harrumph.”

Also Marion: *Glides from the dark while a fearful soprano choir croons their baleful elegy* “The burning blade are FOOLS who know nothing of TRUE power. Rest assured that -they- are no threat. Muahaha..”

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Ahahaha

Marion: “I hope this light-happy frootloop doesn’t mistake me for one of those -crazy- warlocks. Harrumph.”

Also Marion: *Glides from the dark while a fearful soprano choir croons their baleful elegy* “The burning blade are FOOLS who know nothing of TRUE power. Rest assured that -they- are no threat. Muahaha..”
    Yeah, pretty much..

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ahahaha

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

This subtext is completely lost on Mor'Lag. They are like "taking my bags to my room! //We have bags and a room, things are looking up"
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Mor’Lag knows what they want. That’s an ogress who has it sorted out.

21. - Top - End - #591

RedKnightGirl

I got a grab bag of random knowledge in my BLS in English, especially since most of the RPG players at the college were in Philosophy.

Nietzche really maps better than any other Philosophy I know to the actions of Ogres as portrayed in the lore, assuming one doesn't just view them as Stupid Evil.

So I retro-applied what I knew when fleshing out Mor'Lag. The SWEU Sith were also an ingredient. But the single biggest factor was the Nietzchean civilization from Andromeda, which was based notes from Gene Roddenberry from when he considered making a Space Opera, but before he decided on making a new Trek series

...hi. I want 2 play a paladin in training? she's not super great at any of it but has a temper tho! also her family is very frowny at her rn

(But I never would have guessed that Philosophy students would be the most into face to face RPG stuff. I would have guessed drama or even English literature types would love it more.)

Ahahaha

I read this a few days ago.... literally laughed out loud. Went to work. Forgot about it totally. Then came here and laughed even more.

Marion truly is love.

Re: Aleeana, yep! Full sister. All Isaera’s siblings are full. There’s also the cousins, about which we have seen less.

As for NPC’s, JWL, don’t you worry; you’ll get more than you know what to do with!
    omg I feel like everyone else is so.....+obsessed+....with the cousins. Like, MrAbdiel is talking about them here out of the blue with no prompting from anyone at all especially not me. And Isaera was talking to one earlier in story maybe. Even Plaids, too! Wow this peer pressure is so intense what choice do I have? Oh well!

(might need to befriend Aleeana after all to get the inside track...huh)
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-02-06 at 02:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Lol. I tend to over analyze stuf...
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #593

RedKnightGirl

Lol. I tend to over analyze stuf...
    Nah, it means you actually think and care about what's in your life, which is plainly a good thing normally. Frankly I liked that you had multiple inspirations that you pulled together into one unique idea. Meanwhile for some of us, I SWING A SWORD AND ISAERA HAZ PRETTY DRESS! -insert deception 15 routine check here-

:P

24. - Top - End - #594

DruidGuy

What does the inside of the old burning blade headquarters look like?
    And did Marion dye her hair when she was on the run? The pictures used earlier in the campaign had a woman with dark brown or black hair. Or maybe she saw something terrifying recently and her hair lost some melanin?
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-02-08 at 02:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I'll describe the stuff now that the initial conversation has run its course. For a few days I've thought "I'll move the scene along now", but then people are just straight up RP'ing and I'm not getting in the way of that.

Everyone can one one additional character point, for running with the RP!

EDIT: Or rather, I'll describe that in my next post, coming soon TM. I had covid for a bit, and now life is attempting some unrelated spinning kicks, but nothing that should keep me from devoting time to a good scene in the next day or two.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-02-08 at 01:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yikes, I hope you get better soon!

27. - Top - End - #597

DruidGuy

Take your time and take care of yourself. I hope you get better soon.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The tower is three levels. It is a Medium sized building - a smallish magetower, or a small vertical warehouse, depending on one's cynicism. In has several empty rooms on each floor; enough that all 6 characters can have a small room to themself (bed, and perhaps another two or three pieces of furniture.) This is Living Space for the PC's, but not for any NPCs you pick up, who will have to pitch tents in the yard, or else rent rooms in town and walk up to the guild hall each day until you build to accommodate them. There's a secret escape tunnel that leads from a hatch in the lowest floor , down a hundred yards of rope ladder, and then west south-east-east about two hundred yards through a lightless passage to a secret dock in a sea cave at the base of the cliff just south of ratchet proper. There's a crummy little wooden jetty there, enough to cast a fishing line from on relaxing evenings, and the cave has a high enough ceiling that a small sailship with a collapsable mast could row out to sea.

Aside from that, the deal you're getting gives you enough clout to have 3 BP worth of additional alterations done to the building. Obviously applicable ones are fair game (training room, infirmary, etc). Anachronistic ones I can be persuaded toward if you have an idea how it could work (Communication centre as a room dedicated to homing pigeons, racks of two-way magical communication stones, crackly gnomish radio, or what have you, for example.) Some just don't work, either at all or for now (Secret can't apply because this is a known installation. Dimensional Portal can't apply because creating a Dark Portal requires the massacre of thousands of Draenei and a demon-born madness. Teleport Lock can't apply yet because you'd need to be a little more in with the Kirin Tor for them to approve and set up a teleport circle in your guild hall.) Anything not on the list that makes sense can obviously be negotiated!
    I posted! Thanks for your patience, guys. Above is a reminder of what I pitched to you guys when I first mentioned the tower. I believe Alchemy Lab, Library and Garden were the three most sought after picks, once home defense was considered covered with your staffers. Does that still hold? Any objections? Last chance. :)

29. - Top - End - #599

RedKnightGirl

Welcome back.

I'm content with those three. It makes things homey and relaxed and gives us more self reliance.

altho idk tbh if the elf-2-sass ratio isn't entirely too high rn I feel like we should watch that closely

@MrAbdiel: Also what does inscription do? Enchantment was always the original idea and cooking (driiiiiinks!!!) is neat. But I'm unclear what inscription actually does. It's like Writing + you can do with special ink? So, super literacy? What am I even looking at here?
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-02-13 at 06:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Omg, I'm so sorry Plaids I never responded to you. I saw the thread and forgot >_<.