New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

Where enchantment impresses magical spells into items by infusing them with raw magical protomatter (mana crystals and powders), and Alchemy produces magical outcomes by harnessing the inherent magic certain herbs and elements, Inscription produces magical effects by using those herbs and elements to manufacture special inks which, when paired with certain calligraphic techniques, produces magical boons as potent or useful as a direct enchantment or magical potion might be. It's the language of written magic, enhanced by special inks and skillful scripting. It's how scrolls are made, for example; as well as magical text one might fasten to their armor with a seal, or have etched directly into their armor.

In the game, Inscription differed from Enchantment because Enchantment focused on improving magic items you equipped, and Inscription focused on modifying or improving your class abilities. In this RP representation of that world, things get a little spongier - your character's effectiveness comes almost entirely from their skills, and not from the gear bonuses they've accrued.

So you might think of it like this - inscribers trap magic in text. You could use it in downtime to make magic scrolls of healing, which, when torn, activated their healing effect on the tearer; you might scribe a token of binding and then try to slap it on the forehead of an enraged ghost, simulating the use of an affliction power. You might take out a bottle of golden ink before a battle, and write a blessing down the side of your blade to bless it. Stuff like that!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Omg, I'm so sorry Plaids I never responded to you. I saw the thread and forgot >_<.
    Feel free to pop it into your next post, time-warp style!

Spoiler: I got you covered
    Show

3. - Top - End - #603
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Omg, I'm so sorry Plaids I never responded to you. I saw the thread and forgot >_<.
    But can I get in last second rudeness to make any answer of yours given to Plaids more justified/impressive? That's the real question (not really but).

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Where enchantment impresses magical spells into items by infusing them with raw magical protomatter (mana crystals and powders), and Alchemy produces magical outcomes by harnessing the inherent magic certain herbs and elements, Inscription produces magical effects by using those herbs and elements to manufacture special inks which, when paired with certain calligraphic techniques, produces magical boons as potent or useful as a direct enchantment or magical potion might be. It's the language of written magic, enhanced by special inks and skillful scripting. It's how scrolls are made, for example; as well as magical text one might fasten to their armor with a seal, or have etched directly into their armor.

In the game, Inscription differed from Enchantment because Enchantment focused on improving magic items you equipped, and Inscription focused on modifying or improving your class abilities. In this RP representation of that world, things get a little spongier - your character's effectiveness comes almost entirely from their skills, and not from the gear bonuses they've accrued.

So you might think of it like this - inscribers trap magic in text. You could use it in downtime to make magic scrolls of healing, which, when torn, activated their healing effect on the tearer; you might scribe a token of binding and then try to slap it on the forehead of an enraged ghost, simulating the use of an affliction power. You might take out a bottle of golden ink before a battle, and write a blessing down the side of your blade to bless it. Stuff like that!
    That demystifies it much more and makes it sound fun. At this point most professions sound pretty good and largely equal, so kudos. But I have one "final" genuine question, about Abilities and Powers.

Like how some Powers require a skills check (if a player chooses the right flaw) and is cheaper for it, is there an Abilities check equivalent? I think the answer is 'not really' but it pays to ask once in a while.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-02-13 at 07:11 AM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I… don’t think so. But since you add your corresponding ability to your skill, it’s more or less the same. You could just call it a “strength check” and add your strength with no skill, for example. Is that what you’re looking for?

5. - Top - End - #605

DruidGuy

It's alright. There is still time to respond during the three-week montage, have a flashback, or a minor retcon.
    I am in favor of the herb garden. I'll post my montage actions in IC.

6. - Top - End - #606

RedKnightGirl

So hopefully I'm trying to accomplish only reasonable things in the three weeks, but I also rolled random dice in the Three Days Off end portion, and I'm almost marveling at how the dice was keen to not only keep things consistent and in character, but ensure it's almost always the worst case scenario (and maybe I didn't write bad enough worst case scenarios, but w/e it's something) out of each option.

Keeps it semi-interesting? At least I probably met Tylia now without it being contrived.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I...Like this alot. The downtime flaw-actuation table. I may, at some point, insist all players do something similar! It's very good. But for now, folks can revel in their fallen natures as much or as little as they prefer, this downtime!

Once I know what everyone's doing, I'll do a three week roundup!

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What's Marion been up to?

Oh...decorating the place mostly....
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Apologies for the novella, but I haven't posted for a week. If it's not clear she's making her innoculation/bugs-be-gone device to justify her new Wealth 2 (Independently Wealthy).

I'm spending the 2 PP on Marions Int, bringing her up to 3 (Gifted). She's also taken a step towards one of her Complications - Restoration of Family Name.

She'll also conduct a ritual to purge any residual fel presence left over from the prior owners.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-02-16 at 06:52 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Well that is frightening. And to think Isaera may be just below Marion...

Not completely sure what I am doing. There's lugging all of our belongings up the tower, and of course Isaera would need to set up the floor for herself and her sister. That could take a day or two at least, not even counting more complex changes and purchases.

I've decided that Isaera should also learn some orcish, spending 1 of those PP, and she should also have feather fall. That will cost some more PP!

I'm really not sure what else... Isaera may tentatively explore ratchet, a little bit by a little bit. And preferably not alone.

11. - Top - End - #611

RedKnightGirl

I assumed there were only really three floors, ground included, so no one really gets a whole floor to them self (Mor'Lag aside, because Mrabdiel understandably counts them as two people)? Is our squat little tower bigger than I imagined?

Anyway, WindStruck, if one of your major things is still making money for your family, this seems like an easy excuse to go all elf entrepreneur on us. Or dig down on your knowledge goal by making contact with the local intelligentsia or something.

And you'd probably always have company to tour town if you want. Aleeana whenever. Felix is... somewhere. Plaids seems pretty fraternal. Feathersnow would probably be open to some exploration occasionally. I have a ton of tasks in town (on work days). Etc.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-02-16 at 06:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I just assumed when it came to the number of floors/rooms, that the attic would be available.

13. - Top - End - #613

DruidGuy

I like how the warlock respects the profession of the paladin but is unsure if she can fully trust the one near her.
    I assumed that the elements had no force it fundamentally opposed while fell wasn't diametrically opposed to the light given the charts of magic blizzard released.

Spoiler: Magical cosmology of WOW
    Show

I'm liking the noisy engineering happening in the highest tower. Luckily Jakk'ari is the furthest away should any accidents happen. The Isaera and Aleana are certainly going to miss some sleep. I don't know about Mor'Lag or Emelia though.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-02-17 at 01:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #614

RedKnightGirl

I just assumed when it came to the number of floors/rooms, that the attic would be available.
    Worse case scenario, we drop one of the base choices (I like the garden and lab most, because we can do things with them) and swap in the base extension one that gives us all more space. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    I assumed that the elements had no force it fundamentally opposed while fell wasn't diametrically opposed to the light given the charts of magic blizzard released.

I'm liking the noisy engineering happening in the highest tower. Luckily Jakk'ari is the furthest away should any accidents happen. The Isaera and Aleana are certainly going to miss some sleep. I don't know about Mor'Lag or Emelia though.
    Everything is magic. We can probably combine some kind of noise cancelling inscriptions and enchantment devices. Insist it only happens during certain hours when sleeping doesn't. Easy fix?

I didn't know those charts existed so that's quite helpful and fun, Plaids. Not convinced I agree they don't need considerable tweaks and changes, but helpful.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Alas, the tower doesn't have an attic! It has three floors. The lower floor has a big bedroom and all the living facilities; the upper two floors have four rooms and a "+" shaped intersection of hallways. But Marion could claim one of the upper rooms, condemning anyone else who chooses a room on the upper floor to endure the worse of the mad-science sounds until Isaera and Emilia collaborate to make an enchanted muffling inscription on the walls!

I shall post tomorrow! Tonight, alas, I sleep for work.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Alas, the tower doesn't have an attic! It has three floors. The lower floor has a big bedroom and all the living facilities; the upper two floors have four rooms and a "+" shaped intersection of hallways. But Marion could claim one of the upper rooms, condemning anyone else who chooses a room on the upper floor to endure the worse of the mad-science sounds until Isaera and Emilia collaborate to make an enchanted muffling inscription on the walls!

Honestly with Marion being a warlock and and all the mad scientist noises, I think it would make sense for Emilia to barge in there demanding to know what is going on.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

To "barge into someones room" would be most rude and unladylike . One could have been in a state of indecency.

Oh, Mr GM: something else Marion was doing was using Rituals to erect a ward around the Infernal core she collected back at the ogre village. (remember that? She kept it)

She's the going to study it as a side-amusement to crafting her invention.

18. - Top - End - #618

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Honestly with Marion being a warlock and and all the mad scientist noises, I think it would make sense for Emilia to barge in there demanding to know what is going on.
    To "barge into someones room" would be most rude and unladylike . One could have been in a state of indecency.
    Eh, armour wearing, a temper, weapons, etcetera are all unladylike depending on who you ask....but reactions near completely depend strongly on how the construction went about insofar as replies are concerned.

Marion is smart and didn't take a penalty to wisdom, so I find it really hard to believe she wouldn't realize it's a huge factor to try and raise awareness ahead of time to the people it impacts the most for the worse.

If it's a very sensible "look, it's going to be noisy this time to this time approximately, we're stopping work when you guys typically sleep, and honestly, this won't really be for the guild, but it 100% means the world to me"? Then it can be accepted anywhere from grudgingly sometimes to a How Can I Help at others?

If it was a no warning one-second-total-peace-next-multiple-hours-endlessly-noise, with zero indication of what or why or when it stops, and no regard whatsoever for others, +even when the issue is raised+? Then yes, 100% threats are getting thrown around that are legal and moral because what kind of unauthorized stupidity is this?

But the latter makes no real sense to me and seems like it'd never happen. You'd be arbitrarily pissing off a third of the guild leaders (at minimum) you're supposed to work with, seemingly if not primarily for personal benefit, and the two reasonably persuasive (when they're motivated) ones at that, but somehow wouldn't predict that's a bad call? I really, really, really doubt Marion wouldn't just sensibly nip the issue before hand by communication and everyone just works together.

So it's almost a non issue.

What am I missing here...?

Hope you slept well.

Do we vote for tower extension then so BP has the space to do what's desired, or leave it as is and just say she did less work than preferred?

Although a noise cancelling device could make Isaera monies for her family, so iunno if this is useful to Windstruck's intentions?

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think you're taking the noises a little too literally . What's imagined to be a curiosity-provoking, mild irritant at worst is not an ungodly racket that keeps people up all hours of the night.

20. - Top - End - #620

RedKnightGirl

Yeah, definitely, what you said makes a ton more sense.

But still, it's hard not to feel a little left out. Like oh yeah sure, make your room fancy. No, no, we're all happy with the basic, bland, bog standard package. Who doesn't love teeny apartments and the Warcraft furniture equivalent of IKEA?

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If you'd like, Marion would happily lend you the funds necessary to spruce your quarters up, really help you give it that warm touch of home .

After the few weeks is over and she has revealed what she's created, she'll buy something nice for the communual area, like an expresso machine or a water fountain. It'll be a gesture of sharing with ones friends and a 'thank you' for their patience.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-02-18 at 08:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I did sleep well. Then I woke up, and had a day, and in the evening settled down to write for the thread...

And wrote like 4000 words about murlocs gardening and elfs brushing each other's hair and wasted paladins getting glassed in bar brawls and now it's 12:30 AM and I have work tomorrow and I'm still not finished the post!

Sorry for all the delay guys; I appreciate your patience. You've read enough of my big word dump posts to know I get carried away sometimes, and I might have done so today. Will try to be done tomorrow.

Re: Tower extension... Well, not yet, I think. Unless there's an uproar for it, I think the group is going for Alchemy Lab + Garden + Library for lore and arcane training. I'd imagined infact that Marion's room is actually pretty uncomfortable right now - a bed stuffed in one corner, a cramped makeshift workshop taking up most of the room, a box of evil warlock crap in one corner, meaning she has to step over things and kick her toes on things in all the clutter. Suffering now for success later type thing. Since the living space isn't a "Workshop" workshop, it won't provide the bonuses that the Alchemy lab will for Alchemy - but it's enough to justify narrative things like the Mortis Manufacturing industry. Later, when you have more build points, I'm sure she'll want an actual engineering workshop!

23. - Top - End - #623

DruidGuy

I forgot about Jakk'ari's dream. Thank you for following up on it.
    Can the two-year anniversary of his absence from the desert be during the second week of the three-week montage?
    The timing would best align with his attempts to contact the village.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Hey the wait is no problem! I understand...

I was sort of regretting not elaborating more on my character's activities during these weeks, but it seems you really have your plate full already.

25. - Top - End - #625

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Hey the wait is no problem! I understand...

I was sort of regretting not elaborating more on my character's activities during these weeks, but it seems you really have your plate full already.
    Yeah, I'm similar, in the sense I'm curious if I should have toned back some stuff for the same reasons. We're all here for the fun of it (?) so no reason to ask the world of him.

I did sleep well. Then I woke up, and had a day, and in the evening settled down to write for the thread...

And wrote like 4000 words about murlocs gardening and elfs brushing each other's hair and wasted paladins getting glassed in bar brawls and now it's 12:30 AM and I have work tomorrow and I'm still not finished the post!
    Bless you kind sir. ;_;

This sounds a lot more involved than I expected. I'll try to find a better balance in the future. I mentioned this in the batman story, but maybe we should have some rough limits each downtime...? 'You aim at one important thing this week or three minor things'? Idk but it feels like you have sort of an fun by engrossing part pulling it altogether and I'd rather not overburden you but instead ask for what's fair and reasonable.

Re: Tower extension... Well, not yet, I think. Unless there's an uproar for it, I think the group is going for Alchemy Lab + Garden + Library for lore and arcane training. I'd imagined infact that Marion's room is actually pretty uncomfortable right now - a bed stuffed in one corner, a cramped makeshift workshop taking up most of the room, a box of evil warlock crap in one corner, meaning she has to step over things and kick her toes on things in all the clutter. Suffering now for success later type thing. Since the living space isn't a "Workshop" workshop, it won't provide the bonuses that the Alchemy lab will for Alchemy - but it's enough to justify narrative things like the Mortis Manufacturing industry. Later, when you have more build points, I'm sure she'll want an actual engineering workshop!
    The price of material success? Maybe fittingly, I was considering going a more minimalistic style. Not exactly full blown, but if it doesn't serve the mission or vices...

If you'd like, Marion would happily lend you the funds necessary to spruce your quarters up, really help you give it that warm touch of home .
    Marion: Y'see folks, unlike those fat cats in Stormwind, Mordis is a caring house. A kind house. An infernal house. We sell our souls so you don't have to! So now we're opening up our very own gen-you-whine bank!

Emilia: oh wow go on.

Marion: We here at the bank of Mordis have heard your cries for alternatives to the daylight robbery of Rachet! The fly-by-night hornswoggle of Orcish tribes! And we're offering you the lowest interest rates we've had in the Barrows in yeaaaars!

Emilia: but your house hasn't existed for

Marion: In yeaaaars!

In the interest of some transparency, I'm actually half considering how to get my own bank going in the other story I'm in, which is why all the above occurred to me (less you being shifty as it being the solution to many of the in game problems I'm seeing elsewhere). It hasn't been developed even in that OOC, but it's playing on my mind. I like the Mordis banner a lot though.

Hints nicely at a mountainous house with the ram, and is simple but distinctive.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sorry for all the delay guys; I appreciate your patience. You've read enough of my big word dump posts to know I get carried away sometimes, and I might have done so today. Will try to be done tomorrow.
    Nah, all good, RL comes first, you're doing splendidly as is .

Heh, the "box of evil warlock crap" sounds like a "jedi utility belt" standard issue.

If this were D&D though, Marions alignment would probably be Neutral. Maybe Neutral Good.

But yes, once more EP are added to the tower, expansions will be in order. I have 1 PP atm that I -could- donate to such a cause, providing 5 EP that adds:
    - +one step in size.
    - Laboratory
    - Living Space
    - Workshop
    - Holding Cells

What do you think?

Marion: Y'see folks, unlike those fat cats in Stormwind, Mordis is a caring house. A kind house. An infernal house. We sell our souls so you don't have to! So now we're opening up our very own gen-you-whine bank!

Emilia: oh wow go on.

Marion: We here at the bank of Mordis have heard your cries for alternatives to the daylight robbery of Rachet! The fly-by-night hornswoggle of Orcish tribes! And we're offering you the lowest interest rates we've had in the Barrows in yeaaaars!

Emilia: but your house hasn't existed for

Marion: In yeaaaars!

In the interest of some transparency, I'm actually half considering how to get my own bank going in the other story I'm in, which is why all the above occurred to me (less you being shifty as it being the solution to many of the in game problems I'm seeing elsewhere). It hasn't been developed even in that OOC, but it's playing on my mind. I like the Mordis banner a lot though.

Hints nicely at a mountainous house with the ram, and is simple but distinctive.

Hehe the banks being run by a secret coven of soul-draining dark wizards? No one would believe that . I was actually thinking of having her go into banking in the future after creating a wealth-foundation via her engineering and (eventual) land ownership. Restoring her name is one of her character drives, so alongside getting married and having some kids, re-building her family's wealth is a part of that! However, if you defaulted on your payments and had to move for Chapter 11, having your soul captured into a shard to be worn on her belt for a year kinda would give you expeditious incentive to pay her on time lol.

And thank you on the banner, I like it too ;). Originally it was a Harkonnen banner, but I color-flipped the red to yellow because I thought red-and-black was a bit overdone, while yellow and black is still a striking color combo and the Rams sigil is mountainous in origin and represents industry, bravery and strength, boldness and authority.

But I don't want to hog centre stage and have it become "Marions Rise to Industrialist Aristocrat" game, so I'll try to just keep it as a side/background thing that she tends to when not out and about with the party.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-02-20 at 08:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Okay! So I have the Side-Scenes up. These, like the dreams before, are little solo scenes that anyone can read to enjoy the other character's doings, but are mostly for the replies of the intended parties. For doing things that might have an element of chance in them - like Mor'Lag attempting to cast her dispel in training, for example - you can feel free to either choose the most narratively interesting outcome to you, or roll a naked d20 for a success scale to inspire your outcome. But these are narrative scenes, so you don't need to worry about your actual character's crunch unless you want to do something crazy. Feel free to reply as verbosely or succinctly to those side scenes as you like. They take place at some point in the previous 3 weeks, so if you could wrap your responses to them in spoiler tags, that'll help differentiate from the primary, active scene in which rolls may indeed need to be made, and the stage is being shared by everyone. I'm going to get to work on the primary scene now; it'll either be up today or tomorrow, but it'll start with a team meeting discussing your quest prospects.

EDIT: Second post up too! And before midnight! Yeah!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-02-22 at 08:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #628

RedKnightGirl

Overall, all three options look decent and I'm pretty sure we can justify any of them. But I have a bias towards the bigger jobs. And no one even knows what a Someafridge is anyway.

@MrA, you said we only have to roll for the crazy things. What do I roll to get unbanned from certain locations? Also, is it possible to be lazy and Well-informed/Intuition my way into knowing who among the PCs/NPCs that Felix gets along well with (unless he's pleasantly indifferent to everyone) before I showed up? Or at least, who he has a bias towards (unless he doesn't)? If not, it's fine, again I was just being lazy and trying to not do any legwork for something minor (I hope it's minor....).

Spoiler: MrA only plz
    Show

See, MrAbdiel? See? Amber is +human+. Not elf. Regardless of if she rejects or not, there's no pattern here, your honor!

bandaged and aching and hung over, you told yourself, for sure this time: never again.

So how the fel did this happen?
    I love this more than I have any right to. The whole thing about "i will never do this stupid thing ever again forever the end" only to fast forward a week or two and be like "OH YOU KNOW WHAT SOUNDS FUN?"

perfect

She gives you her best ha-ha-sorry-about-the-stabbing grimace-smile
    ok shes no aleeana but its pretty darn close be still my loving heart

Now it's time to check if Amber a) politely shrugs off the alcoholic weirdo with a temper that you were forced to stab in self defence like you know you should, or b) leaves the door at least a little open to hang out because hey what could go wrong, right?

idk what to think about this whole 'maybe the drinking isn't a good idea' talk, but we'll deal with that one step at a time
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-02-27 at 04:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Posting tonight. For reals this time. Sorry about the delay.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I meant to do a response to the interstitial scene, but I forgot, sorry. It was very good, though.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin