New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

I thought it cost one victory point just for the opportunity to make that roll.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Sorry for not rolling last night. I got drunk and raided with the guild.

Marion will Take 10 if she can for:

Rank 4 Remote Sensing (1 Mile tether), ditch mental link. DC 21, so you succeed 70% of the time but you're relying on the eye's decision making prowess without your input.

If Taking 10 is not allowed, she will use the final DC 19 option.

Expertise - Fel Magic: [roll0]

*Sighs* I really hate this forum roller some times.

Spending a VP to pass the roll, or just becoming Fatigued instead.
    Well. Two things. One's bad news, the other... might be good news.

The bad news is, you indeed spend the VP just to make the roll, and indeed you may under no circumstances take 10 on a jury rig. Them's the breaks with Jury-rigging rituals or gadgets; they either have to be WAY weaksauce or there's a fail chance built it. :(

The other news is... I thought Marion had +11 to Expertise: Magic (Fel) because she has 3 Int, for the total of 14, the maximum one can have in a skill at this power level. That's what I based my percentile estimates off. Am I wrong? Are the values on your sheet the total skill+stat values?
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-04-14 at 09:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Well. Two things. One's bad news, the other... might be good news.

The bad news is, you indeed spend the VP just to make the roll, and indeed you may under no circumstances take 10 on a jury rig. Them's the breaks with Jury-rigging rituals or gadgets; they either have to be WAY weaksauce or there's a fail chance built it. :(

The other news is... I thought Marion had +11 to Expertise: Magic (Fel) because she has 3 Int, for the total of 14, the maximum one can have in a skill at this power level. That's what I based my percentile estimates off. Am I wrong? Are the values on your sheet the total skill+stat values?

Nope. In fact, your bringing up of such as made me go back and realise what a mess her skill outlay/pp spent is, so I'm going to have to rebuild exactly as is and outlay where points where spent.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Like it says "(17pp, +4pp (Expertise (Mining) and Technology 5CP Skills)", but that was before we altered the technology/engineering thing, so that means she would've spent 12pp or something. Confusing, yes? I'll have to re-make it exactly as it is and outline exact costs)

But no, I do skill modifiers as a total of both attribute and ranks, so she's got +11.

Though, Vargheist has +1 Demonology Expertise. Can he Aid Another Marions efforts for +2 to her roll?

Reaching his big, blue claw over and pointing at a line she skipped when she started to chant?

This is me wormily weaselling my way to face-saving success .
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-04-14 at 09:30 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

A sizable oof, my friend. :P

I'm afraid Vargheist has some insight into the demon condition but, lacking the Ritual Caster advantage, he has nothing to offer that is helpful in this case! Not to mention I'm not sure you can collab on Jury Rigs anyway.

Alas! The roll is insufficient, an Marion's face is in peril. Your options are to let it lapse and cut losses, or use Extra Effort to Retry the roll - sadly the +2 bonus option on Extra Effort is not retro-applicable!

I guess even unflappable noble scions miss a trick, once it a while!

If you don't want to chase the lost VP with effort, I can narrate the spell collapsing, or you can do so, at your leisure.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    A sizable oof, my friend. :P

I'm afraid Vargheist has some insight into the demon condition but, lacking the Ritual Caster advantage, he has nothing to offer that is helpful in this case! Not to mention I'm not sure you can collab on Jury Rigs anyway.

Alas! The roll is insufficient, an Marion's face is in peril. Your options are to let it lapse and cut losses, or use Extra Effort to Retry the roll - sadly the +2 bonus option on Extra Effort is not retro-applicable!

I guess even unflappable noble scions miss a trick, once it a while!

If you don't want to chase the lost VP with effort, I can narrate the spell collapsing, or you can do so, at your leisure.

Well, a sorceress of humility and grace would likely cut her losses and accept their failure, displaying maturity and caution...which is why Marion would push.

Expertise: (1D20+11)[31]

Spoiler: Falling with style
    Show

....so, can we go for Option 1?

"Rank 4 Remote Sensing (1 Mile tether) with Mental Link. DC 25, so your summoning success is 50%.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-04-14 at 11:10 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Well, a sorceress of humility and grace would likely cut her losses and accept their failure, displaying maturity and caution...which is why Marion would push.

Expertise: [roll0]

Spoiler: Falling with style
    Show

....so, can we go for Option 1?

"Rank 4 Remote Sensing (1 Mile tether) with Mental Link. DC 25, so your summoning success is 50%.
    Hah! Well, how about that?

I think this is a pass-fail check, because you got to select the DC you were shooting for before the roll; so the extra degrees of success, while impressive, will not permit you to push the DC up on the fly after you know you'll meet it. But you can look really cinematic while you succeed, if you like? :D

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Aww, yeah fair enough .

Let's go with the DC 19 version then, which Marion managed to Fall with Style succeed at.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Just a quick post to say I love the emerald life vision, and thank you for putting that and all these other goodies together for everyone. I'd be clueless without the help, so yeah. Also, asking because it's relevant (somewhat) to everyone:

In BP/Marion's case for the Eye, is it a little like a cake, in that if you know how to bake one, then you can always make the variants in the future? So, BP chose the DC 19 one wisely, but is NOT locked into just that forevermore, right? I'm guessing it's nice and open ended, but wanted to understand ahead of time. Ritual magic looks like a great option to explore.

Also, unless we see a OH NO EBRU NEEDS HELP GOGOGO or other situation that benefits from us moving ASAP, I vote to rest the hour. Two of five being exhausted and just charging through is not great. We can do it (and it doesn't exactly affect me), but I'd rather everyone be up to standard.

That said, if the two exhausted players both say GOGOGO, then I'll change my vote to that.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-04-17 at 06:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Plus if there's a hotpot of food ready then that remaining 45 minutes after waiting the 15 minutes for the Eye to return, will go pretty quickly.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    Just a quick post to say I love the emerald life vision, and thank you for putting that and all these other goodies together for everyone. I'd be clueless without the help, so yeah. Also, asking because it's relevant (somewhat) to everyone:

In BP/Marion's case for the Eye, is it a little like a cake, in that if you know how to bake one, then you can always make the variants in the future? So, BP chose the DC 19 one wisely, but is NOT locked into just that forevermore, right? I'm guessing it's nice and open ended, but wanted to understand ahead of time. Ritual magic looks like a great option to explore.

Also, unless we see a OH NO EBRU NEEDS HELP GOGOGO or other situation that benefits from us moving ASAP, I vote to rest the hour. Two of five being exhausted and just charging through is not great. We can do it (and it doesn't exactly affect me), but I'd rather everyone be up to standard.

That said, if the two exhausted players both say GOGOGO, then I'll change my vote to that.
    Hilariously, it’s like the opposite of that. Ritual Caster, which is sort of another way to do what Artificer does for potions and gadgets and stuff, is a way to produce one-off neat solutions to problems. But the rules impress upon the user that this isn’t meant to be a cheap path to impossible versatility: you can use a ritual/gadget you throw together once. If you spend a VP, you can reuse one you have already used. But for anything approaching sustained use, you gotta buy it with points.

The idea situation for this is something like Marion’s. If she decides she likes having Eye of Kilrogg now that she’s used it, between this adventure and next, she can spend a point or two of PP to add it to her multi power. If she decides it was more trouble than it was worth, then it was an experience and that’s that.

With the inscription skill you have and the artificer advantage tied to it, Joy, you can do something very similar - spending a VP to sort of “hack” together on the fly a special inscription for a given purpose, once off!

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Well if there's a hotpot to eat, and we're already waiting for scouting.. eh might as well rest for an hour to get rid of the fatigue.

12. - Top - End - #762

DruidGuy

Jakk'ari is going to try to talk the void walker.
    Anyone else is free to quip as well.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Interesting! BP/Marion, you get to designate what happens with Vargheist in combat; but do you want to “share custody” of his voice with me, for purpose of RP moments like this?

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Go ahead .

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'll also be posting tomorrow.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Okay! Demons cryptically interrogated, eyeballs sent a'scoutin', hotpots eaten, fatigue rested away. You're ready to roll. Is the plan still to go through the western (left) passage, towards the concentration of tracks and the visual confirmation of the presence of the Night Elves? This'll involve going through the water, so if you've any preparations to make your lives easier in that way, now's the time to pipe up. Otherwise, I'm ready to move the scene alone to this next sequence of amphibious spelunking.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Well I've no idea. We haven't gotten any information from Marion yet....

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ah True. @BananaPhone you can append your discoveries in a post; but I'm also happy to abstract it as "I annotate the map about all the gribblies I see through the eyeball", if I'm right in assuming she's not keeping any of this discovery to herself.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That's basically what I thought she was doing through my posts , telling everyone else what she sees and where she sees it.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, so I guess that means we can look at the spoilers meant for BananaPhone then...

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Cool with me, unless I've missed some super secret she's telling the group everything.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oohhhh yeah, the spoilers. I forget about those sometimes, and how diligently good players restrict themselves. Yes! You may read the eyeball spoilers!

23. - Top - End - #773

DruidGuy

It looks like a big, submerged turtle and the night elf druids with a bunch of snakes are in the west. While the East has a large thunder lizard is stuck in a chamber.

Has the eye gone North or was the eye released before it could go that way?
    Given the current information Jakk'ari is probably going to vote for going West to the night elves and life magic which is opposing some other force in the East which he assumes is malevolent.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    It looks like a big, submerged turtle and the night elf druids with a bunch of snakes are in the west. While the East has a large thunder lizard is stuck in a chamber.

Has the eye gone North or was the eye released before it could go that way?
    Given the current information Jakk'ari is probably going to vote for going West to the night elves and life magic which is opposing some other force in the East which he assumes is malevolent.
    The eye went east, then west, and then encountered a disruptive force that meant Marion had to release it or risk feedback. So the north is still un-Eyeballed.

I have posted assuming the group has a westward consensus, and there are rolls in your future! I hope you brought you chalk bags and snorkels.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-04-26 at 08:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Climb! (1d20+5)[21]
    The Swim! (1d20+5)[9]
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Crushed the climb - a little trouble on the swim there, but this does seem like the kind of thing having a second head would help with, maybe. Easier to get one of them above water?

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mor tries to salvage Lag's failure to swim! (1d20+5)[8]
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Climb: (1D20)[14]
    The Swim: (1D20)[11]

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Toughness: (1D20+4)[21]

Marion is A-Okay in every regard, boss.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-04-26 at 10:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Toughness check!! (1d20+5)[7]

Hopefully this does better
    GNU Terry Pratchett