New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    Toughness check!! [roll0]

Hopefully this does better
    Y’know, as the story runner I have strong reasons to desire your suffering characters; but I will remind you that Mor’Lag invested time and effort in making a chemical solution to this swimming and drowning problem…

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Y’know, as the story runner I have strong reasons to desire your suffering characters; but I will remind you that Mor’Lag invested time and effort in making a chemical solution to this swimming and drowning problem…
    Oh, I misread the text and thought the water was too shallow to use it here
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh, no worries. It's shallow in parts, but being swimmy and breathy will definately help. The water-breath potions, as I conceived them, have a two doses (unusual for a potion, but it's a fairly mild and specific power!) and a dose lasts for an hour or so.

Also, Isaera is asking relevant planning questions, and others are making their descent and swim rolls - timey wimey, posty wosty, etc; I'm happy to assume these happen in the logical sequence of things and no one is descending and heading downstream until everyone is doing it together. So presumably, chronologically, there's some discussion of the challenges and then a group descent.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Athletics check, DC 15. (1d20)[2]+4 from strength.
    Toughness, DC 12. (1d20)[7]+4 from stamina.

Athletics check, DC 10. (1d20)[4]+4 from strength. Unless my eyepatch allows me to handwave an easier dc?
    Fortitude check, DC 12. (1d20)[8]+4 from stamina. +2 food.

edit~ looks worse than it is? Beat the fortitude check regardless, but the climb wasn't exactly all smiles.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-04-26 at 05:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Isaera could cast feather fall on other people, right?

6. - Top - End - #786

DruidGuy

Athletics checks
    Climbing: (1d20)[11]
    Swimming: (1d20)[16]

7. - Top - End - #787

DruidGuy

Toughness Check: For 1 degree of failure on the climb.
    Need a 14 or better. (1d20+4)[9]
    I assume the toughness bonus for Jakk'ari is about the same as Marion's

Please let me know if I mess up some of the M&M rules.
    I don't know if dice rolls can be retracted but I would certainly be in favor of going East or North first. If allowed, I will recycle the rolls for future challenges if the challenges were scripted out beforehand.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-04-27 at 02:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Toughness, my friend is from a combination of Stamina + any Protection ranks you may have.

Marion has Stamina 0 (average), but she does have Demon Armor which gives her Toughness 4 and Regeneration 4. (so if she slipped, fell and broke her arm you could have the delight of watching it contort and crack itself back to normal in a few minutes)
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    Athletics check, DC 15. [roll0]+4 from strength.
    Toughness, DC 12. [roll1]+4 from stamina.

Athletics check, DC 10. [roll2]+4 from strength. Unless my eyepatch allows me to handwave an easier dc?
    Fortitude check, DC 12. [roll3]+4 from stamina. +2 food.

edit~ looks worse than it is? Beat the fortitude check regardless, but the climb wasn't exactly all smiles.
    Rough! But serviceable. Sadly, no; the lens isn't helpful in this particular situation. But no drowning, so you got away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I don't think Isaera could cast feather fall on other people, right?
    Well, looking at your Featherfall power, you took one rank (2pts) of flight, with the Glide and Levitate modifiers for the featherfall effect. Technically that's a 0.5 Pt power right now; you could fill out the other half of that point by making it "Use on others". That would mean you could cast featherfall on anyone you were grabbing - so, two other targets if you get grabby before a fall. And the power would last until they hit the ground. So maybe, yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Toughness Check: For 1 degree of failure on the climb.
    Need a 14 or better. [roll0]
    I assume the toughness bonus for Jakk'ari is about the same as Marion's

Please let me know if I mess up some of the M&M rules.
    I don't know if dice rolls can be retracted but I would certainly be in favor of going East or North first. If allowed, I will recycle the rolls for future challenges if the challenges were scripted out beforehand.
    What BP said! :)

East or North are options.

It looks like I made too much of an assumption about the group's direction of choice; I guess it seemed a clearer notion before the Eye of Killrog warned of extra dangers. So hooray for evil eyeballs! I was worried you were waiting on me to move the scene along, so I won't commit the group to that direction if it seems like there's actually an alternate choice of path. I'll just archive these rolls for when we or if we do go that direction later!

As for Windstruck's question OOC about the one way tripness... Well, that's a possibility that's worth thinking about. It seems likely the druids have some way in and out - you can be reasonably sure of that by the fact that they have a map of the region, and the tracks that Emilia's inscribed lens looked over suggested that two emerged from that side of the caverns, went outside, and returned again. But depending on how senior the druids are, they might have access to aquatic forms, which you do not!

To be clear about the water path, it's fairly swift flowing, but not white-water-rapids. One could theoretically make their way back upstream up the passage by sticking to the wall and slogging yard by yard, but it'd be dangerous and physically taxing. A superhuman effort to swim is an option, for those with waterbreathing potions; they permit you to breath water and to swim at the speed a person can run on land, which is sufficient to fight back up the current into the main chasm chamber.

I'll let you guys decide which direction the party does indeed want to go, then I'll clean up my fumble and kill you all at the right location.

I mean thrill. Thrill you all.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Marion will be happy following the direction the group decides. She's gathered the intel, now she'll go with the suggestion of the more strategically inclined.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I'm picking up a sense that people collectively would rather explore the North passage first, or would be happy to follow the group if that was the case - Barring objection, I'll spoiler-archive the other post and make a new one soon. But now's the time to raise wild objections!

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No objections, but apologies about not posting yet. I had meant to post for Ms M but I've been distracted recently.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Well I think I would still end up going west first. Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing?

Though it's a bit concerning no one's got a response for Isaera.

14. - Top - End - #794

RedKnightGirl

Voting to go North (even if solo). West seems more dangerous than first assumption, east is a giant question mark, and north has answers to some of those questions. Specifically with Naralax. Even unresponsive, an upclose look might say what happened to Verdan?

Edit, Or we skip the clue gathering stage and just attack if everyone else is ooc bored. Whatever works really.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-04-30 at 07:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Now I'm even more confused about what's going on. Two opposing forces fighting against each other??

I don't think the Tauren coming back at some point to write some notes proves anything.

The same was true for the night elves as well. They all were camping out there, doing their experiments, going further into the wailing caverns. Until they suddenly were no longer returning.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-04-30 at 09:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

North it is! I have posted. You have unlocked a new scene, and I have furnished everyone with their own little dropdownamabob's worth of insight or clues, in some cases requiring rolls.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'm fine with everyone heading northward as a group for now.

And time for a roll. investigate: (1d20+14)[31]

It's a good roll at least. Can Isaera tell what these draconic runes are meant to do, or at least something along the lines of what they may be saying?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-05-03 at 11:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

… Yes.

Spoiler: Isaera
    Show
    While the runes comprise a magical formula rather than spoken communication, you are equipped to guess at the nature of their purpose. You derive that this is an attempt at a sort of localised cosmic flattening - an effort to bring the material plane closer to an alternative plane and thus to permit a certain amount of magical bleed-through, imposing some of that drawn plane’s nature more closet upon Azeroth. In this case, based on the Druidic nature of the enterprise, it’s likely the Emerald Dream. An attempt to flex, but not pierce, the membrane of that strange world, at this location.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Expertise - Fel: (1D20+11)[27]

20. - Top - End - #800

DruidGuy

Rolling for expertise in magic(1d20)[1]
    After Roll: Luckily Jakk'ari knows that the druid is in hibernation and won't attempt to move him.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-05-06 at 01:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #801

RedKnightGirl

@MrA, not mega important but WS might have made a point when I presumed that the druid tracks meant they trekked 'fully' west and came back. Did the fancy eye scan dealie give me any ideas of if the tauren really did pop down the druid fun slide dangerous climb and water rapids, or was it too ambiguous to tell for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    Rolling for expertise in magic[roll0]
    After Roll: Luckily Jakk'ari knows that the druid is in hibernation and won't attempt to move him.
    The one good thing about rolling 1 on skills, is you could STILL end up passing them if you invested a ton into them.

That and take 10 Routine Checks. I will shamelessly use that any chance I get (imagine my surprise when I discovered Skill Mastery as a thing).
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2022-05-08 at 03:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Sorry for the delay l, I missed the update
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    @MrA, not mega important but WS might have made a point when I presumed that the druid tracks meant they trekked 'fully' west and came back. Did the fancy eye scan dealie give me any ideas of if the tauren really did pop down the druid fun slide dangerous climb and water rapids, or was it too ambiguous to tell for sure
    There are enough tracks in the distinctive hoof shape to determine the tauren moved all over the central chamber; but it’s not possible to tell by magic eye or conventional tracking if they went swimming, or which way. But their notes seem to indicate they moved pretty freely west, after being stifled in an attempt to go east.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Apologies I've been atrocious for responses this past week.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Woo! Well, you've ventured North and gained some new information about the scenario, which is crystallizing the choice to come: is it best for the party to head downstream, west, towards where they know at least some of the druids are dwelling; or upstream, east, towards the relatively mysterious source of this arcane radiation?

We'll presume there's an extensive discussion that underpins the salient points raised to quoted dialogue by the characters, but as it stands, the two points of view seem to be...

Let's go East, since we know the druids in the West seem to be chilling, and we don't know what's happening in the East. That information is most valuable.

vs...

Let's go West, since we might be able to get more information and help from those Druids, before we push East.

I don't suppose I can convince you to... split the party. Ehehehe. Heh heh... Heh... *Rubs hands together, slyly.*
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-05-11 at 06:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806

RedKnightGirl

That would be great - I had no clue that was really an option, and I made the blind and silly assumption it was all in either way. Yeah, I'll head east with whoever else is comfortable. I'm overly concerned going west with a hammer (we're going to be carving up the wild life; no way to peacefully get past) is a great way to piss the druids off (mind, WS has the highest Persuasion check, so that's not necessarily an issue, but it still feels off). Throw in my assumption those same animals are likely de facto druid 'base' defense and I would much rather weaken their 'enemy' in the east.

Especially thanks to BP confirming east is probably Void problems. Attacking them is almost a must now. #justpaladinthings

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

For real? I was joking, assuming the party would want to do the standard player character coordinated breach into unknown zones and tactical diamond formation in open spaces! But if you guys settle on a two pronged approach, I will happily populate that reality with rewards and consequences!

28. - Top - End - #808

DruidGuy

I'm in favor of keeping the party together since there are still unknowns but the situation isn't urgent enough to require multi-tasking. But the druids might help deal with one of them. Either way the party will have to contend with a large beast. Kind of weird the druids left their buddy all alone in the cave. I'm guessing there isn't a protective enchantment or ward since Jakk'ari was able to touch the druid's face.
    If the right preparation can be made I think going West might work.
    Last edited by Plaids; 2022-05-12 at 01:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Aye, keep the party together.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I'm gun-shy of preemptively assuming the party is going one way or the other, so I should ask explicitly - with good reasons to go east and west but a need to pull the trigger one way or the other, if Emilia starts pulling in the direction of east, is the party likely to follow her instinct, or dig in heels and call a vote to go west? The paladin is champin' for some action, and seems to me likely to be push a decision if no one else is similarly convicted!